SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Vicelord John Aug 25, 2010 12:38 AM

no idea, but I think it was when I was still in high school so before 2003?

HooverDam Aug 25, 2010 4:57 PM

Quote:

Phoenix to build its 5th skate park with $50,000 donation

4 comments by Emily Gersema - Aug. 25, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Skateboarders will have a fifth plaza to roll up and down ramps in Phoenix, city officials said Tuesday as they accepted a $50,000 donation from nationally recognized skateboarder Rob Dyrdek's foundation.

Dyrdek said his foundation and an organization, Street League Skateboarding, will also donate for the park or plaza more than $10,000 worth of equipment. Much of it will be recycled from the league's skateboard competition this weekend at the Jobing.com Arena in Glendale.

"We're basically building a 15,000-square-foot urban skate plaza in Jobing .com this weekend. We can reuse some of it," Dyrdek said.

Officials know the donation won't cover all construction costs.

"We'll have to at least match (the donation)," Deputy City Manager Rick Naimark said.

As skateboarding has risen in popularity, cities have become more accepting of the street sport. They are building more special park areas where the skateboarders can practice without breaking any local laws and without fear of crossing paths with cars or pedestrians.

Phoenix has two skate parks at Paradise Valley and Pecos parks and two above-ground skate plazas at Desert West near Maryvale and Hermoso Park in south Phoenix.

The Rob Dyrdek Foundation has helped pay for construction of five skate parks and plazas in Los Angeles, said Paul J. Vizcaino, the foundation's executive director.

Vizcaino said he contacted Vice Mayor Michael Nowakowski last week to discuss the possibility of building a new skate park in Phoenix, expanding the organization's "Safe Spot, Skate Spot" effort outside California.

Nowakowski said he and Vizcaino knew each other because they worked together at the Cesar E. Chavez Foundation and United Farm Workers of America. Vizcaino said the foundation aims to build parks around the country to create professional skating areas for kids.

Dyrdek knows what it's like to have nowhere safe to skate.

He said he has been riding a skateboard for about 25 years - ever since he was 12, zipping through streets and weaving across sidewalks, office parks and parking lots.

Naimark said the Parks and Recreation Department will look at several possible parks for building what will probably be a new skate plaza.

The eight-member Parks and Recreation Board will weigh in, and so will neighbors of the potential sites at public hearings. The board, though, will have final say on the plaza's location, size and design.

The winning park could easily be chosen on the basis of one factor: cost.

Naimark said the city has some money available for park improvements, but the cost of designing and installing a new skate plaza could vary from site to site.

And, in a budget crisis, the cheapest option is often the best.

Mayor Phil Gordon said, though, that the city also will consider how many skateboarders would use the park - and whether neighbors would welcome it.

"Sometimes neighbors don't even want a park - period," he said.

Laura Martin, who with two other business partners runs three Cowtown Skateboards shops in the Valley, said skateboarders have hoped the city will consider building a downtown plaza or park because there are no areas designated for skaters there.

Hermoso Park Skate Plaza near 20th Street and Southern Avenue, about 5 miles south of downtown, is the closest option for skateboarders who live downtown

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz0xdb2xN7m
Central Phoenix (which I think is what most people mean when they say "Downtown") desperately needs a skate park. I hope they consider either Encanto Park or Steele Indian School Park for this project. If not either of those spots then somewhere between the 7s, Camelback and the railroad tracks.

EDIT: VV True maybe that can be part of Deck Parks redesign. My one concern would be that Deck Park is a fairly small park, so I wouldn't want the skate park taking over too much of it. My hope has always been for Deck Park to be redesigned into an urban park like Chicagos Millenium Park. But maybe some of those underutilized dirt lots or parking lots could be bought up by the city and the park could be expanded and the skatepark could go there.

Vicelord John Aug 25, 2010 5:04 PM

I feel that deck park would be a logical option for it. There is plenty of room, its an underutilized park, and its close to a train station.

plinko Aug 25, 2010 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4958617)
no idea, but I think it was when I was still in high school so before 2003?

IIRC, I've got construction photos from the Dodge from the winter of 2001. I think it opened in 2002. I think Jerry Seinfeld was the first show.

Tito714 Aug 25, 2010 10:46 PM

Post them up if you can :) I'm a sucker for old Phoenix pics.

plinko Aug 25, 2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tito714 (Post 4959788)
Post them up if you can :) I'm a sucker for old Phoenix pics.

What I have scanned or available is here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=153447

Schadenfreude Aug 28, 2010 5:58 PM

Looks like they restaurant where Nine 05 used to be. We'll see how long it lasts.

From AZ Central.
Quote:

The handsomely restored bungalow at Roosevelt and Fourth Streets would seem to be one of downtown Phoenix's premier restaurant spots, just a few blocks from the ASU campus and right in the middle of First Friday action.

But the last two occupants, Fate and Nine 05, failed to catch on. One potential explanation: According to owner Matt Carter, Nine 05 was "broken into 20 times" during its eight-month run.

Perhaps the third time will be the charm. At least that's what the partners behind new Bliss, and its next-door watering hole, ReBar, are hoping. They're opening Friday, Aug. 27.

Co-owner Mark Howard, whose other enterprise include Fez, promises "affordable, hip and comfortable dining," with a "big-city feel."

John Cook, who runs the kitchen at Fez, has put together a menu featuring "American classics with a twist." Look for appetizers like braised beef nachos ($12), fried sausage ravioli ($8) and Swiss chard chicken lettuce wraps ($7).

Specialties include pot roast ($15), macaroni and cheese with chicken and bacon ($12), baked cod ($15) and double-cut pork chop ($15). You can finish up with a brownie hot fudge sundae ($6) or daily cobbler ($6).

The post-10 p.m. crowd, meanwhile, can graze on $5 nibbles like mini beef tacos, a "monster loaded" footlong and a trio of burger sliders. Weekend brunchers will find French toast ($9), omelets ($9) and a breakfast burrito ($9).

At ReBar, along with beer and wine, the emphasis is on modern cocktails, like the Absolut rubylicious martini ($9), cucumber martini ($9) and Ciroc redberry rapture ($8).

Details: 901 N. Fourth St., Phoenix, 602-795-1792. Hours: 11 a.m. to midnight, Monday through Thursday; 11 a.m. to 2 a.m., Friday; 10 a.m. to 2 a.m., Saturday; 10 a.m. to midnight, Sunday. blissonfourth.com

http://blissonfourth.com/

May go try it out tonight.

Vicelord John Aug 28, 2010 8:02 PM

I was going to go last night but went to Lucky Strike instead. It should last a while I would assume. The Fez/Switch/Ticoz people have quite a following.

glynnjamin Aug 30, 2010 6:04 PM

^I heard he sold his stake in Fez & Ticoz to finance this place. Not sure if that's true but that's what Thomas was telling me.

Tito714 Aug 31, 2010 6:57 PM

Cool article I read in downtown voices.
Quote:

Street food coming to downtown Phoenix

[Source: Michelle Laudig, Phoenix New Times Chow Bella[/caption]

Phoenix isn’t exactly on a roll — yet. But a mobile street food revolution is slowly taking shape here.

Photo courtesy of Torched Goodness via Phoenix New Times

Stringent laws in Valley cities have made it hard for food cart culture to flourish locally, but a new group that calls itself the Phoenix Street Food Coalition is working to change that. Yesterday, the group announced its involvement with a new weekly event coming to the Phoenix Public Market, aMobile Food Court that will open for lunch every Friday starting October 1.
Elsewhere, there’s plenty of inspiration. There’s a huge cluster of food carts in downtown Portland, offering everything from meatball subs to sopapillas to Thai noodles. And in Los Angeles, locals follow their favorite vendors on Twitter to see which neighborhood they’re parked in at the moment. The phenomenon even has its own Food Network series, The Great Food Truck Race.

Once the Mobile Food Court starts up, you’ll be able to sample an excellent crepe from Truckin’ Good Food, bite into a gourmet hot dog from Short Leash Dogs, indulge in some creme brulee from Torched Goodness, and snack on homemade treats from other coalition members, including La Vida Locavore, Puro Sabor, FruFru Pops, Udder Delights, What’s Your Grind, and MF Tasty.
Details:

The Mobile Food Court will be open from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Friday at 14 E. Pierce St., beginning Friday, October 1st.
I think we need more street food in downtown. It would definatley give downtown a unique feature and plus I love street food. :notacrook:

Vicelord John Aug 31, 2010 7:12 PM

That's retarded. I don't want to sit outside to eat food from a cart that's been sitting in a hotbox all day. If it isn't being made fresh, why are people paying a premium to eat it?

Fucking morons.

bwonger06 Aug 31, 2010 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4966119)
That's retarded. I don't want to sit outside to eat food from a cart that's been sitting in a hotbox all day. If it isn't being made fresh, why are people paying a premium to eat it?

Fucking morons.

Best fucking burrito in town is at the the taco stand next to Charlies (no homo, and open Thursday - Sunday nights only). And the burritos are made fresh and cooked right in front of you.

PHX31 Aug 31, 2010 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4966119)

Fucking morons.

I'm not sure anything from a food cart costs a "premium", and food carts and street food rules... it's a very important and great part of the urban fabric of a city. This is great news. I saw that "short leash dogs" cart at the phoenix public market the other week. Although I didn't eat there, I think they had some relatively good prices. Cart food should be quick, good, and relatively cheap. If we can get some carts that serve good hot dogs, tacos, falafel, gyros, noodle soups, unique sandwiches, etc., all in one place... that would be awesome!

Vicelord John Aug 31, 2010 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwonger06 (Post 4966156)
Best fucking burrito in town is at the the taco stand next to Charlies (no homo, and open Thursday - Sunday nights only). And the burritos are made fresh and cooked right in front of you.

No, beset burrito in town is from La Frontera at 16th street and Van Buren, which is out of a truck, which at least has the means to cook it fresh (read, not a stand or cart.)

And I've had that food you're talking about, it was delicious you're right, but I'm talking about actual carts which just simply don't have the means to cook in... it's food thats been sitting in a hotbox all day. Kinda like Luby's.

Vicelord John Aug 31, 2010 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 4966233)
I'm not sure anything from a food cart costs a "premium", and food carts and street food rules... it's a very important and great part of the urban fabric of a city. This is great news. I saw that "short leash dogs" cart at the phoenix public market the other week. Although I didn't eat there, I think they had some relatively good prices. Cart food should be quick, good, and relatively cheap. If we can get some carts that serve good hot dogs, tacos, falafel, gyros, noodle soups, unique sandwiches, etc., all in one place... that would be awesome!

News flash, we already have these things. I don't want to go to a dirt mall cart food court. There are several corner food vendors downtown that are there m-f all day long.

I'm tired of this hipster girl pants trucker hat eat at a cart because it's ironic bullshit.

PHX31 Aug 31, 2010 9:24 PM

hmmmm, ok. well, i think you're in the minority. Ever seen the shows that bring up street food vendors, especially on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, when he go to the various countries and usually makes a stop at their street food areas? It's usually the best part about his trip and street food can definitely make a city.

Vicelord John Aug 31, 2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 4966303)
hmmmm, ok. well, i think you're in the minority. Ever seen the shows that bring up street food vendors, especially on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, when he go to the various countries and usually makes a stop at their street food areas? It's usually the best part about his trip and street food can definitely make a city.

yeah and they are not all in the same place in some contrived vision of "being a world class city." They are there because the cities are big enough, busy enough, and diverse enough to support many carts.

I've said my opinion on this, I don't need to keep beating the dead horse, but skinny pants, trucker hat hipsters need to all hang themselves. They are ruining downtown Phoenix.

scottkag Aug 31, 2010 10:22 PM

The douchebags are coming! Surely this means downtown has arrived.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4966362)
I've said my opinion on this, I don't need to keep beating the dead horse, but skinny pants, trucker hat hipsters need to all hang themselves. They are ruining downtown Phoenix.

HooverDam Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4966288)
No, beset burrito in town is from La Frontera at 16th street and Van Buren, which is out of a truck, which at least has the means to cook it fresh (read, not a stand or cart.)

And I've had that food you're talking about, it was delicious you're right, but I'm talking about actual carts which just simply don't have the means to cook in... it's food thats been sitting in a hotbox all day. Kinda like Luby's.

The carts in LA have the means to cook, Im sure we can have the same in Phoenix. The carts in LA have little hot skillets on the top of them where they fry up the famous bacon hot dogs.

Like so:
http://laist.com/attachments/la_zach...ts-8-24-08.jpg

EDIT: We desperately need more food carts/trucks in Phoenix. There's a few places in particular:

1. The Capitol Mall, there's no food options in that area for that most part. Restaurants likely couldn't survive because they'd have no evening crowd, but trucks and carts could do well.

2. Downtown: Near ASU, the Roosevelt Arts area and near the strip of nightclubs on and around Washington, those all seem like places that could go for some late night dining.

PHX31 Aug 31, 2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4966362)

I'm not sure how getting more food carts/trucks = hipsters, or even where they were suggested. But ok, whatever.