SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Mar 25, 2021 7:35 PM

Quote:

Here's a new "nose-only" mask to protect you from the Rona while eating. I hope it comes in red!
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...701120/enhance
https://notthebee.com/article/heres-...t-comes-in-red

Commented one person: "I would rather be pummeled by a horde of rabid baboons, thrown off a cliff, and eaten slowly by sharks than to strap that thing on my schnoz." But I can see this too getting political.

JManc Mar 25, 2021 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9228842)
Why fun is no longer allowed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...05a_story.html

Since there are a number of participants on this site who are good at fat shaming, I expect you'll now have your say. But donuts are the alternative to pizza . . . only Krispy Kreme thought of giving away high calorie bribes first.

I think KK promotion was harmless. WOuld have thought, the outrage machine would have been sent into overdrive? It's one donut.

10023 Mar 25, 2021 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9228842)
Why fun is no longer allowed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...05a_story.html

Since there are a number of participants on this site who are good at fat shaming, I expect you'll now have your say. But donuts are the alternative to pizza . . . only Krispy Kreme thought of giving away high calorie bribes first.

I assume you’re talking about me. Saying that it’s bad to be fat and people should try harder not to be fat is not “fat shaming”.

Regardless, a single glazed donut isn’t going to make anyone fat. Especially if they work out.

iheartthed Mar 25, 2021 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9228834)
I compare NY to my town, San Francisco, which has been just as locked down and is reopening at a similar pace and which has a very low rate of COVID infections. One difference is our transit system is hardly running and I don't know anybody using it who has any options (and a lot more people do have options than in NY).

I must say I consider your post an example of New Yorkers being rather unaware of what's going on west of the Hudson. SF schools still aren't open (but there are plans to open them when the unions can be convinced to come back to work).

I'm aware that other school systems have not reopened, but I have friends who work in schools in other parts of the country that have had to be physically present in schools since last August. One friend works in a school in the Atlanta area that has had so many outbreaks that she's had to stay home on several occasions because she was a known "close contact" of someone at the school who tested positive. I have another friend who is now self-quarantining here in NYC for the same reason, which is the first I'd heard of it happening here to someone I know.

Pedestrian Mar 25, 2021 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9228916)
I assume you’re talking about me.

Not just you. It's too often classed as a moral issue here by a number of people. Yes, it's bad to be fat but for some people it's harder not to be than those who naturally aren't realize. And there should be no guilt involved.

But I don't want to get into all that yet again. I just think it's fine to get a free donut and if I had a KK nearby I would. I also think it would be nice if pizza parlors everywhere gave you a free slice for getting vaccinated.

Fresh Mar 26, 2021 12:01 AM

Zero transmission of Covid for a month here in Australia - rule changes coming this monday in Sydney

Quote:

No caps on numbers at weddings and funerals

No restrictions on singing anywhere

No restrictions on dancing anywhere

No cap on visitors in the home (if there are more than 100 people there must be a COVID-19 safety plan and electronic recording of visitor details)
200 people allowed at personal outdoor public gatherings

All venues to move to 2sqm rule (venues will be allowed at least 25 people before 2sqm rule applies)

100 per cent seated capacity at entertainment venues (stadiums, theatres etc)
Mask use on public transport will move from "mandatory" to "strongly recommended"

Nightclubbing

mhays Mar 26, 2021 1:32 AM

What could have been here too....

Pedestrian Mar 26, 2021 2:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 9229267)
What could have been here too....

Australia: Population 25 million
US: Population 328 million

Australia: Tight travel controls, even on returning citizens, and no land borders
US: Porous land borders and travel controls with numerous exceptions and loopholes

Australia: 1.4 million Chinese visitors in 12 months before COVID. Essentially shut down its borders on 1 February, denying entry to all travellers who had been in or transited through China within 14 days of arrival in Australia
US: 3 million Chinese visitors in US (in 2018). The US also shut down entry to non-Americans from China but continued to allow tens of thousands of Americans living in China to return home. And delayed putting controls on even non-American travelers from Europe.

In spite of the limited and perforated limitation on entry of possibly infected persons from both Asia and Europe to cities all over North America, the US government at the time was heavily criticized for being racist and xenophobic. In Australia the tougher measures were accepted, even if criticize and the number of entry points were much more limited to a few major cities.

The Australians did a great job, no question. But they had a much easier job than we did. We are a country connected extensively to every other part of the world and to a greater degree than almost anywhere else. And people fly from all over the world to all over the US (not to mention cruise and other ships returning from ports all over). With the amount of travel still being allowed, even an efficient contact tracing system would have been overwhelmed and our system was far from efficient.

10023 Mar 26, 2021 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9228939)
Not just you. It's too often classed as a moral issue here by a number of people. Yes, it's bad to be fat but for some people it's harder not to be than those who naturally aren't realize. And there should be no guilt involved.

But I don't want to get into all that yet again. I just think it's fine to get a free donut and if I had a KK nearby I would. I also think it would be nice if pizza parlors everywhere gave you a free slice for getting vaccinated.

It’s not hard enough that obesity rates should have increased as much as they have. It’s clearly not genetics. Lifestyles have changed, yes. We do less physical labor and have cars. And the food on offer in the grocery store has changed. This means more willpower and conscious effort is required but, you know, have it.

I think less of a very fat person and I always will.

10023 Mar 26, 2021 3:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh (Post 9229207)
Zero transmission of Covid for a month here in Australia - rule changes coming this monday in Sydney

When are you allowed to freely come and go from your penal colony?

p.s. I am not going back to the UK until travel restrictions are lifted (even though they don’t apply to me as a US passport holder) out of principle.

SlidellWx Mar 26, 2021 3:52 AM

Hopefully the link works, but this is an amazing level of detail showing the percent of the population that has received at least one dose of the vaccine in the entire state of Louisiana at the census tract level. The highest rate in New Orleans is the census tract representing much of the central business district where 66.2% of the 2,859 residents have received at least one dose of the vaccine.

http://nola.com/app/graphics/interac...tract_map.html

glowrock Mar 26, 2021 1:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9229333)
It’s not hard enough that obesity rates should have increased as much as they have. It’s clearly not genetics. Lifestyles have changed, yes. We do less physical labor and have cars. And the food on offer in the grocery store has changed. This means more willpower and conscious effort is required but, you know, have it.

I think less of a very fat person and I always will.

I think I speak for the vast majority of SSPers when I say that you are honestly the most arrogant, obnoxious, egotistical, self-righteous and judgmental douchebag ever to "grace" Skyscraperpage.com.

Fellow mods, I know moderators shouldn't necessarily post something like this, but you can't deny thinking what I have just typed. ;)

Aaron (Glowrock)

jtown,man Mar 26, 2021 2:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9227612)
And to bring the conversation back to Covid - I miss London’s deserted streets in April last year. They need to ban automobiles from a lot of roads permanently, especially the Regent’s Park Outer Circle.

Yes! Biking when Corona first started was amazing. I even got my girlfriend to ride with me.

Now I mostly stick to segregated paths or nice bike lanes.

jtown,man Mar 26, 2021 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9228580)
I think there are some differences about New York other than public transit. New York was much more cautious about re-opening than almost any other state. For instance, indoor dining has been completely banned in NYC for roughly 9 of the last 12 months. A month ago it reopened to 25% capacity, after a two month shutdown.

The first reopening of indoor dining coincided with the beginning of the winter surge. The second reopening of indoor dining has coincided with the plateauing at an elevated level of infections. But the transit system was never shutdown throughout the entirety of the pandemic, and for most of the summer and fall of 2020, New York had some of the lowest rates of infection in the country.

Another change has been schools. Schools in NYC have been reopening over the past few weeks, after having been closed for most of the winter. I just heard of an outbreak this week in a school in Brooklyn that has forced some teachers, students, and their families into a self-quarantine.

But you have to compare these numbers to other states that have been pretty much reopened since May or June.

iheartthed Mar 26, 2021 2:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 9229592)
But you have to compare these numbers to other states that have been pretty much reopened since May or June.

Yeah, New York's current numbers aren't really that out of line with similarly sized Florida. Using the 7-day average on worldometers, it looks like New York is a little bit above Florida this week, but they don't look wildly different. And of course, New York's new infections were well below Florida for most of last year once the former got past the first wave and the latter entered its first wave.

Crawford Mar 26, 2021 4:02 PM

The highest local infection rates are in Hasidic areas. Lakewood, NJ, the largest Hasidic enclave on earth outside of Israel and Brooklyn has super-high rates. But deaths continue to drop, so, while concerning, it doesn't seem like the high-risk population is getting sick (they're vaccinated, already had it, or dead).

Hasidic cultural practices probably mean that virus transmission is inevitable.

mrnyc Mar 26, 2021 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 9229754)
The highest local infection rates are in Hasidic areas. Lakewood, NJ, the largest Hasidic enclave on earth outside of Israel and Brooklyn has super-high rates. But deaths continue to drop, so, while concerning, it doesn't seem like the high-risk population is getting sick (they're vaccinated, already had it, or dead).

Hasidic cultural practices probably mean that virus transmission is inevitable.

no surprize there. meaning the rest of us living around them would inevitably get it as well. :shrug:

of course to be fair, the no mask brigade and the young underground party ragers probably spread covid just as much and to even more difficult to assess/scattershot areas around the region. at least the hasids tend to stick to themselves.

thinkiing about that gives me a headache.

i just got shot #2 this morning, so hopefully things are looking up. :tup:

sopas ej Mar 26, 2021 8:26 PM

Per Governor Newsom, all California residents age 50 and up will be eligible for the COVID vaccine starting April 1st. And beginning April 15, all California residents age 16 and older will be eligible.

Woo hoo!

Pedestrian Mar 26, 2021 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9229656)
Yeah, New York's current numbers aren't really that out of line with similarly sized Florida. Using the 7-day average on worldometers, it looks like New York is a little bit above Florida this week, but they don't look wildly different. And of course, New York's new infections were well below Florida for most of last year once the former got past the first wave and the latter entered its first wave.

There are basically 4 or 5 "hotspots" in the US right now but the reasons don't have to be the same in each case: The New York Metro (and not just Brooklyn, a lot is norther NJ), the Texas panhandle, Michigan (the whole state but especially Detroit), Minnesota and specific rural counties around the west (mostly these are very low population so a few cases spike the rate dramatically). While the rate in southeast Florida is especially high--and don't forget this is the preferred Florida destination for a lot of New Yorkers--the rest of the state is not.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...793805/enhance
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html

Pedestrian Mar 26, 2021 9:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 9230121)
Per Governor Newsom, all California residents age 50 and up will be eligible for the COVID vaccine starting April 1st. And beginning April 15, all California residents age 16 and older will be eligible.

Woo hoo!

This has its downside. I have a good friend who is 56 and has HIV (which has made him eligible in SF for a while now) but has been unable to get a shot. Now that he'll have to compete with the entire population, it'll be that much harder.