SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

muertecaza Feb 10, 2017 4:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7707438)
Here's the press release on the Hampton Inn to be built at Central & Polk:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300405376.html

Quote:

Construction on the 11-story, 210-key hotel begins this month and is scheduled for completion in summer 2018.
:cheers::cheers:

I did see that there was a bunch of permitting activity for this one. Will be glad to see a proposal start construction.

Phxguy Feb 10, 2017 9:04 AM

What about the residential tower for the CPE block? Are two different developers designing the block? Otherwise, I'm digging the hotel and wish something of similar size would be built on the parking lot on Adams and Central. Seems it be a perfect fit there as well.

muertecaza Feb 10, 2017 4:04 PM

Coverage of the Polk/Central hotel. Pretty much just parrots the press release.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...n-phoenix.html

muertecaza Feb 11, 2017 1:08 AM

Fence up at Polk/Central.

http://i.imgur.com/2ZN9m9wh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LIc0cxhh.jpg

PHXFlyer11 Feb 11, 2017 1:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 7708553)
Fence up at Polk/Central.

Well, that escalated quickly.

michael85225 Feb 11, 2017 4:59 AM

It sure did. Well I'm happy to see this is really happening.

Prestige Worldwide Feb 11, 2017 4:18 PM

Webcam showing Hampton Inn progress: https://app.oxblue.com/open/mamortenson/phoenixhampton

PHXFlyer11 Feb 11, 2017 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestige Worldwide (Post 7708926)
Webcam showing Hampton Inn progress: https://app.oxblue.com/open/mamortenson/phoenixhampton

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting both lots are fenced up. It is also intriguing that the lot for the 20-story residential tower is significantly smaller than the one for the Hampton Inn. It should then give the illusion that it is taller than 20-stories.

It appears that the lot slated for the residential tower is being used as staging for the Hampton Inn. Can anyone confirm? I would be pleasantly shocked if both went up together.

Prestige Worldwide Feb 11, 2017 4:49 PM

The lot along Central is for staging. Only the hotel is going up right now. The residential is a future phase.

Obadno Feb 11, 2017 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestige Worldwide (Post 7708944)
The lot along Central is for staging. Only the hotel is going up right now. The residential is a future phase.

Phoenix doesn't have a good history with phased development.

PHXFlyer11 Feb 11, 2017 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7708990)
Phoenix doesn't have a good history with phased development.

At least it's residential. So that gives me more hope. Demand is so high downtown right now. I think once one of the three proposed 20 story residential towers gets moving the others will quickly follow in a race to capture the demand before the others.

floc34 Feb 14, 2017 7:18 AM

Another housing development coming to downtown Phoenix :tup:
https://www.transwestern.com/media/n...Y-PROJECT.aspx

PHXFlyer11 Feb 14, 2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floc34 (Post 7711221)
Another housing development coming to downtown Phoenix :tup:
https://www.transwestern.com/media/n...Y-PROJECT.aspx

I think this was mentioned awhile back? I'm okay with this since it's North of Hance/I10. At this point I hope most of the development to the South is more than 5-stories.

PHXFlyer11 Feb 14, 2017 1:38 PM

Uptown / Midtown

- The apartments that were proposed on the East and West sides of Central, South of Camelback indeed seem to not be moving forward. Someone had mentioned that the land was for sale. The fence on the west side is now down after the land was cleared. Fence is falling apart on East side. I assume they level that too and then we see that go up for sale as well :(

- Mayaco's sign says "moving March 1" which is really weird because it doesn't look like any work has been done on the Tokyo motors building they are supposedly moving into. There were Macayo's trucks behind the building and behind the old Fez location.

- The Asian restaurant next to Fez is closed. That building needs to be leveled for a new development. Looks like hell.

exit2lef Feb 14, 2017 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7711331)

- The Asian restaurant next to Fez is closed. That building needs to be leveled for a new development. Looks like hell.

Siu Wok relocated to the strip mall on the SEC of Thomas & Central. I agree that the old Siu Wok / Fez building should go. That land is underutilized.

Red Robot Feb 14, 2017 9:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7711331)
- The apartments that were proposed on the East and West sides of Central, South of Camelback indeed seem to not be moving forward. Someone had mentioned that the land was for sale. The fence on the west side is now down after the land was cleared. Fence is falling apart on East side. I assume they level that too and then we see that go up for sale as well :(

The property and project entitlements are listed for sale, both the east and west sides: http://uptownland-cbre.com

Plans for both sides of the project were approved by city council and the properties rezoned under the new T5.5 urban walkable code, hopefully they can find a good buyer willing to build them. They are both mixed use retail/apartment projects with underground parking, the west side project would even have retail facing the light rail station. Perhaps the current market conditions will push the buyers to be even more ambitious.

Jjs5056 Feb 15, 2017 7:24 AM

It was the historic neighborhoods who fought to lower the height of the Omninet projects and they barely were approved for 5 stories. The original rendering was of a tower, so it wasn't a case of a developer being cheap and with these NIMBYs track record, we shouldn't expect much else. The design was great and would create a plaza-like area around the station... huge contrast to the last proposal which requested to not have to address the station at all.

The Alta project for Macayos has not started correct? That is one I would not mind falling through. There are just so many incredibly long stretches of emptiness in Midtown, coupled with the fighting NIMBYs decreasing density, and it will never be walkable with single-use projects. Before Mackay found and sought to destroy the Warehouse District, there was so much talk of owners renovating their ground levels and such... never happened, and without that, we may as well be talking about Scottsdale.

Even the very southernmost block has major gaps in it and 4-story superprojects like Muse or Garages like 3rd/Palm won't help. But, it gets worse each block. Virginia, Columbus, 2 or 3 corners of each major road have massive empty lots, not to mention the Colliers property. I almost wish a couple of the cooler developments like 7th Ave/McDowell, artHAUS, OneLex, and Edison were all downtown.

Jjs5056 Feb 15, 2017 7:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7706679)
There are several high-rises just waiting to get moving im getting antsy.

Once there are a lot of people living downtown well see office development too; which will be great especially now that downtown is dropping sub 15% vacancy

As for Ballpark last I saw was that they changed the plan to not close Buchanan which was a good move. But I haven't seen anything yet. Ballpark is kind of in a deadzone so I was always worried about it getting built.

As another posted mentioned, I actually have a feeling the city got duped again and the developer simply cleared the land for a flip. Nothing explains why else they sat on it for 2+ years before demo. I am aware that they opened up Buchanan, but they still were using the historic buildings for leasing and fitness. Given that every cool warehouse is becoming an office thanks to Mackay and WebPT, we should keep as many cool structures as we can for actual public use. Those would make great authentic Mexican restaurants with a beer garden in between with a cultural center and apartments behind paying tribute to the historic landowners in the area.

But, this was a dumb project from the start. Who would build apartments adjacent to an effin railroad? Who would build in possibly the most desolate corner of the downtown area and not include any sort of retail for the residents? It just seems bogus and I hope it is even though the loss of yet another warehouse is a shitty casualty.

RE: OCPE, I agree that phased projects have not worked out but the fact that even this piece is being developed is progress. Remember when this was going to be a single-use garage originally? The shitty part is that Central will stay void of any real active storefronts in that area, but I don't see why a project would be announced now if it weren't real... by now, developers should know whether there is true demand or not, no?

And, until Phoenix grabs something on the level of the State Farm deal, I just don't see how offices will get built. The tech companies are just gobbling up warehouses and Midtown offices with massive parking lots for their less-than-50 employees. So many companies make total sense downtown... Petsmart in a tower with a veterinary school on the PBC, for example; or, a flagship Best Western + HQ + College of Hospitality... Hopefully, it will work backwards and jobs will follow talent, but with ASU the only player in town, that pool is somewhat limited. I am no expert and would like to see it happen.

Jjs5056 Feb 15, 2017 7:43 AM

Last question - was it ever even confirmed that the corner of 3rd/Roosevelt is even going to be retail? The original site plans show a fitness center there and no detail was ever given AFAIK about where PAZ was to be located.

Alliance and ORB, along with Wood, are really just awful. The only retail officially planned is exactly where Bodega 420 stood. The .25 mile stretch of leasing centers between this and iLuminate is really a shame, and I hope they were convinced to do something at the corner at least. But, these are the people who added a "co-working office" FOR RESIDENTS when asked to revise their Lakefront project to include commercial... sigh.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Feb 15, 2017 5:44 PM

So in response to JJs5056 wow. I know you have this vision of what you want Phoenix to look like but it's a fantasy. We are not New York or Chicago. Can we be like downtown San Deigo? I hope so. The Muse shoulda been 5 stories. Four does look a little to short. What project on 3rd and Palm are u talking about called garages? Ave or st? Or are u saying that Muse has a garage, I know you don't like parking but we need parking. I still need to drive to my parents house in the suburbs. And if it is wrapped or hidden, I'm good with that. Even all the apartments and condos in LA have garages. Central and McDowell already has a lot of people walking around there and there will be plenty more with The Muse and Broadstone. The Muse will have retail as well. But as far as the Ballpark apartments, I think those would be great! The Summit and stadium lofts are right next to the rail as well. I live in Capital Place just a couple blocks from the rail and been sleeping with the window open and the most I hear is the driver tute the horn just like the light rail. No biggy, it's the sounds of the city. It would be a great location though, next the the stadiums, coaches corner, their new taco place, and a short walk the cityscape and soon to come the new Fry's. And as far as the Broadstone Roosevelt, I believe there will be retail at least at the curved area, I think that project is looking amazing. Roosevelt Point already has some good retail with the salon, coffee shop and that sandwich shop.