SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

odinthor Apr 27, 2018 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8170056)
[...]
Your post is the first mention I recall of a Norm's Restaurant near there. I know the La Cienega one was built in 1957. I looked on Norm's website and they have some history about the restaurants, but no photo of the one you frequented. Their website said that Norm Roybark opened his first restaurant at Sunset & Morningside in 1949! From the Norm's site: "NORMS made its debut in 1949 when Norm Roybark, a Los Angeles native, opened his first diner near the famed Hollywood corner of Sunset and Vine. As one of the few spots open 24/7, it didn’t take long before NORMS became the place to be."

I've been trying to find a photograph of this Norm's, but to no avail. (So far?) You mentioned watching the Cinerama Dome being built. I did find this aerial photo of it under construction. (July, 1963.) Several photos like this have been previously posted. I am assuming the little place across the street from the Dome's "shell" pictured here is that particular Norm's?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hloa6M3w7...L-00104525.jpgLAPL

If you watched the Cinerama Dome being built, did you also watch the NBC Building get torn down? As you may know, for several years I've been trying to locate a COLOR photo of the lobby mural inside the NBC Building. So I have to ask if you ever were inside that building and saw it in person? I have never come across anyone who's even seen it in person. Wouldn't it be amusing if I find someone who actually saw it and they say "No, it was painted in black & white." LOL!

UPDATE: I found this postcard on the Los Angeles Theatres site that partially shows the Norm's at Sunset Blvd. and Morningside!

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6CRGzPEhg...-Wojcik-63.jpgLos Angeles Theatres

Gee whiz, I saw the billed It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World at the Cinerama Dome during its premiere engagement (starting November 1963). The family's reservation was just about a week after the JFK assassination, and it was a question for several days whether the theater would be dark out of respect. But the show did go on, and I remember the occasion pretty well (I was a month or so past my 9th birthday; we may even have been doing this as a delayed birthday event). Something that impressed me: During the intermission, the speakers would be playing back and forth police radio transmissions about the status of the various characters in the movie, which I've always thought was extremely imaginative. But let's get to the important thing: I doubtlessly saw Norm's! (And I have a strong notion that we ate there one of the times the family saw a show at the Dome.)

GaylordWilshire Apr 27, 2018 9:33 PM

Sigh... re my images not showing up... the link comes from Google Photos, same as I've been using for the past year or so. So what's the latest best way to get images on this thread these days? Never seems to have been easy to get them on the thread and to make them stay....

BDiH Apr 27, 2018 9:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor (Post 8170148)
Gee whiz, I saw the billed It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World at the Cinerama Dome during its premiere engagement (starting November 1963). The family's reservation was just about a week after the JFK assassination, and it was a question for several days whether the theater would be dark out of respect. But the show did go on, and I remember the occasion pretty well (I was a month or so past my 9th birthday; we may even have been doing this as a delayed birthday event). Something that impressed me: During the intermission, the speakers would be playing back and forth police radio transmissions about the status of the various characters in the movie, which I've always thought was extremely imaginative. But let's get to the important thing: I doubtlessly saw Norm's! (And I have a strong notion that we ate there one of the times the family saw a show at the Dome.)

I was working for the Pacific Theater chain the day Kennedy was assassinated and when I reported for work that afternoon, the theater was dark out of respect.

I also remember listening to records in one of the booths at Wallich's (as a customer) when Kennedy's motorcade passed by on Sunset. The DNC convention was held in Los Angeles in 1960.

Norm's was a great little restaurant back then. It was smaller than the one on La Cienega or the one down by Vermont. It was closer in size to the Biff's on Yucca. I remember seeing lots of celebrities there, including Lenny Bruce and Lloyd Thaxton.

odinthor Apr 27, 2018 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 8170188)
Sigh... re my images not showing up... the link comes from Google Photos, same as I've been using for the past year or so. So what's the latest best way to get images on this thread these days? Never seems to have been easy to get them on the thread and to make them stay....

I've been using Postimage (alias Postimages) for about a year now.

https://postimages.org/about

Very easy to use, I've had no problems. They seem to have had a moment of dubiety about something a few weeks ago; but immediately made arrangements which, as it turned out, were not needed, and everything is fine. Recommended (and free)!

:tup:

Bristolian Apr 27, 2018 9:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor (Post 8170202)

Very easy to use, I've had no problems. They seem to have had a moment of dubiety about something a few weeks ago; but immediately made arrangements which, as it turned out, were not needed, and everything is fine. Recommended (and free)!

:previous:

Just to throw out another candidate and a little plug, I use Imugr. I had no photo hosting experience before taking the plunge here. It was free, easy to learn and I've had no problems whatsoever.

GaylordWilshire Apr 27, 2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor (Post 8170202)

Thanks... I just replaced the image in post 46599 with the same one via Postimage...see if it shows up now: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=46599

PS And thanks Bristolian for the suggestion of Imgur

Martin Pal Apr 27, 2018 10:08 PM

Someone told me that Flickr is being acquired by another company: SmugMug.

Any of you Flickr users get this notice:

Flickr agrees to be acquired by SmugMug - what this means for you.
We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.

SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.
We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.
If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.
Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.
We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.
Thanks,
The Flickr Team

Hmmm...nothing will change immediately...so some things(s) will change...

Martin Pal Apr 27, 2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor (Post 8170148)
Gee whiz, I saw the billed It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World at the Cinerama Dome during its premiere engagement (starting November 1963).

That photo I posted of it being built was in July. That was pretty quick.

I liked what you wrote about the police radio updates during the Intermission!

Martin Pal Apr 27, 2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 8170224)
Thanks... I just replaced the image with the same one via Postimage,,,see if it shows up in this recent post.

Yes for me, GW. :tup:

GaylordWilshire Apr 27, 2018 10:20 PM

Good to know... thx guys

Ed Workman Apr 27, 2018 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8169487)
Thanks for the correction Scott Charles. (and for spotting the depot on google_earth)
I have to admit I was a bit disappointed it wasn't part of the asylum, but more than happy that it still stands. (needless to say)

As I am wont to do I now have a little 'crush' on this building. ;)

Here are a few more photographs.

I'll included this last photograph because I'm not entirely sure what we're looking at. (and there's even a description! duh)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/mPopYV.jpg
COASTDAYLIGHT

"Weld on the top of the rail near the Patton depot, March 1965.
The weld was possibly an aid for improving electrical contact
and activating a crossing signal."

soooo... they're obviously talking about the long vertical weld, but why would this be needed?
Wouldn't the rails themselves be a sufficient contact? :shrug:
_

Where RR traffic is infrequent the rails get rusty. A short train would not necessarily squish the rust, and dirt, away to make contact. The bead squishes cuz it is small and highly stressed, then the circuit can be completed. Think of the corrosion on your car battery terminals.

BDiH Apr 27, 2018 10:36 PM

[QUOTE=Martin Pal;8170056]Thanks for your reminiscence about working at Wallichs BDiH. It gives all the photos of the corner of Hollywood & Vine a personal touch now!

Quote: "Most of the movie stars and recording artists came in after midnight when it was quiet." Do you have any stories of any people you saw? Or just name drop few?

I wish you had a picture of yourself in the "Beatle Wig!"

Your post is the first mention I recall of a Norm's Restaurant near there. I know the La Cienega one was built in 1957. I looked on Norm's website and they have some history about the restaurants, but no photo of the one you frequented. Their website said that Norm Roybark opened his first restaurant at Sunset & Morningside in 1949! From the Norm's site: "NORMS made its debut in 1949 when Norm Roybark, a Los Angeles native, opened his first diner near the famed Hollywood corner of Sunset and Vine. As one of the few spots open 24/7, it didn’t take long before NORMS became the place to be."

I've been trying to find a photograph of this Norm's, but to no avail. (So far?) You mentioned watching the Cinerama Dome being built. I did find this aerial photo of it under construction. (July, 1963.) Several photos like this have been previously posted. I am assuming the little place across the street from the Dome's "shell" pictured here is that particular Norm's?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hloa6M3w7...L-00104525.jpgLAPL

If you watched the Cinerama Dome being built, did you also watch the NBC Building get torn down? As you may know, for several years I've been trying to locate a COLOR photo of the lobby mural inside the NBC Building. So I have to ask if you ever were inside that building and saw it in person? I have never come across anyone who's even seen it in person. Wouldn't it be amusing if I find someone who actually saw it and they say "No, it was painted in black & white." LOL!

Yes, that is Norm's, just west of Wallich's.

You could enter Wallich's through the Morningside doors or the front doors on Vine Street, but you could not exit through the east doors. Notice how much parking was available back then.

I walked through the lobby of NBC many times and did see the murals. If memory serves, they were in color. That entire neighborhood was historic even in the early 1960s. The Moulin Rouge, Columbia Square, NBC and Wallich's were all part of Radio City. You could always find radio personalities around, like Dick Whittinghill, Jack Bailey and Bob Barker walking or shopping at Sy Devore's or Castles Cameras.

I waited on many actors and musicians in those days. Some would hang around late at night and shoot the breeze. We got used to seeing Johnny Mathis (who held the record for having his album, Johnny's Greatest Hits, in the top 40 for seven years), Sal Mineo, Rock Hudson, Burt Lancaster and many more on a regular basis. One afternoon, Ricky Nelson was shopping. After he left, someone turned in a set of car keys with a fob that said, "Rick." He came back in about five minutes later and I held them up in the air for him. A very nice guy. He and his brother David went to Hollywood High. I used to see their mother, Harriet at Hughes Market on Franklin and Highland.

It was too difficult to watch NBC being razed. Same with Music City. In the photo above, you can see the new RCA building being built on Sunset and the old one on Vine, just north of NBC.

Also, notice the Sunset & Vine tower on the south/east corner of Sunset and Vine. That was new, as well. The Room at the Top was a hot spot, with the unheard of cocktail price of $2.00. The CNN skyscraper was not built yet in those photos. It now sits on the site where the Hollywood Canteen once stood.

By the way, Morgan Camera Shop at 6262 Sunset Blvd rivals the old Spanish Kitchen for abandoned historic addresses.

Handsome Stranger Apr 27, 2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 8170188)
So what's the latest best way to get images on this thread these days? Never seems to have been easy to get them on the thread and to make them stay....

For what it's worth, I created a "dummy" Tumblr blog that is basically hidden. But I can still upload very good quality photos, then copy the http address of any uploaded photo to share images here.

BillinGlendaleCA Apr 28, 2018 1:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8170227)

Someone told me that Flickr is being acquired by another company: SmugMug.

Any of you Flickr users get this notice:

Flickr agrees to be acquired by SmugMug - what this means for you.
We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.

SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.
We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.
If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.
Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.
We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.
Thanks,
The Flickr Team

Hmmm...nothing will change immediately...so some things(s) will change...

The original photos that I've posted here are on Flickr; from what I've been reading, this is probably a good thing. The Smugmug folk are really dedicated to photography, unlike Yahoo and Verizon. They will be moving all the account logins off Yahoo and over to Smugmug. I'm not sure they'll charge, they might. Smugmug's never had a free tier, so this might fill that gap, who knows at this point.

Scott Charles Apr 28, 2018 1:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 8170224)
Thanks... I just replaced the image in post 46599 with the same one via Postimage...see if it shows up now: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=46599

Works perfectly now, GaylordWilshire! :)

ethereal_reality Apr 28, 2018 2:57 AM

re: weld for conductivity

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/mPopYV.jpg
Quote:

Originally Posted by unihikid (Post 8169638)
Santa Fe R.R. had Doodlebugs that ran short loops, like the LA to Pasadena in combo engine/passenger diesel cars. Since this isn't too far from the San Bernardino Station, maybe this might of been a Doodlebug loop, which might account for the extra weld since the cars we're very light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bristolian (Post 8169789)
I would guess that there was significant corrosion on the rails which would compromise the electrical contact so a corrosion resistant bead was laid down on top to provide solid conductivity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Workman (Post 8170247)
Where RR traffic is infrequent the rails get rusty. A short train would not necessarily squish the rust, and dirt, away to make contact. The bead squishes cuz it is small and highly stressed, then the circuit can be completed. Think of the corrosion on your car battery terminals.

Thanks for the explantions unihikid, Bristolian and Ed Workman. I appreciate it.

GAS ELECTRIC DOODLEBUG [18 sec.]

Video Link

ethereal_reality Apr 28, 2018 4:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8169636)
Patton State Hospital was one of the last asylums built in the Kirkbride design. There was normally a very elaborate (if imposing) front building for administration etc, often with a fancy clock tower. The wards were then built going diagonally backwards to the left and right, giving a "bat wing" floor plan. Male and female patients were kept separate by the two wings.

Some complete Kirkbrides still survive, and others have had their admin blocks saved, but the one at Patton was demolished as early as 1923 after it was badly damaged in an earthquake.

The aerial below is from 1930. I'm guessing that the original Kirkbride building was at the top of the semi-circlular road, at the end of the central driveway. The station building can be seen at the bottom of the left side of the semi-circle.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...nHospital1.jpg
mil.library.ucsb.edu

"Patton’s grounds were expanded in the first decade of the twentieth century to include a 400 acre farm and ranch which provided nearly all the food the hospital required to feed its patients and staff. Patton had a dairy, piggery, and chicken farm by 1916, and grew almost all its own fruits and vegetables, had orchards, and eventually built a cannery. The hospital also constructed several industrial shops in its early decades and this further contributed to the hospital’s trend of self-sustainment. Patton added a mattress shop, shoe shop, furniture shop, and sewing room in 1912. Most patients worked alongside the staff on the farms and ranches, and in the shops, laundry, and kitchen. This was seen as therapeutic and came to be referred to as occupational or industrial therapy. As a self-sufficient town, Patton also had its own post office and, to this day, has its own postal code."
from ASYLUM PROJECTS

Thanks for the vintage aerial Hoss & the link to Thomas Kirkbride and his 'asylum architecture'.
-it reminded me somewhat of the Panopticon design for prisons.

I can't ignore the sterilizations that occured at Patton:

"California sterilized over 11,000 mentally ill state hospital patients from the passage of its Asexualization Act in 1909 through 1950. Sterilizations at Patton made up nearly half of that total at 4,585 patient sterilizations. No other state in the U.S. sterilized as many people as the state of California. Some medical practitioners believed that sterilization of mental patients was therapeutic, but most doctors who were involved in sterilizing patients did it for eugenic purposes. It was thought that sterilizing patients would keep them from passing on their illnesses to their progeny and would keep future generations from further overcrowding the hospitals. Sterilization of mental patients would decrease dramatically after World War II, but would not officially end in California until 1979."

from ASYLUM PROJECT

____

A summary of Michel Foucault on Panopticism. (I had to read the book in college)

ethereal_reality Apr 28, 2018 5:48 AM

I came across this photograph while we were discussing the 70s/80s punk scene. (unless I'm mistaken this isn't too far from where I used to live)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/3u7VRl.jpg
PHOTO BY RUBY RAY via NIGHTFLIGHT

What throws me for a loop is that small "Orpheum Theatre"

this one_________________heck of a place for a water heater.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/3...924/r6kAKk.jpg https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/3...924/Lz1CPW.jpg

sidenote: (this is five years before I arrived in L.A.)

The people in Ruby's photograph:

L.A. Line-up, (from L-R): unknown, Hellin Killer, Trudi, Pleasant Gehman, Bobby Pin, Nickey Beat, Alice Bag, Delphina, Lorna Doom, Pat Smear, Jena.

Pat Smear :lmao:

ethereal_reality Apr 28, 2018 6:05 AM

mystery location

I found this slide a long time ago on ebay.

If I remember correctly, the seller described the scene as "a street carnival in Long Beach" (sorry that's all I got)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/eKaKyZ.jpg
EBAY

Whaddaya think?

_

HossC Apr 28, 2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8170524)

I came across this photograph while we were discussing the 70s/80s punk scene. (unless I'm mistaken this isn't too far from where I used to live)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/3u7VRl.jpg
PHOTO BY RUBY RAY via NIGHTFLIGHT

L.A. Line-up, (from L-R): unknown, Hellin Killer, Trudi, Pleasant Gehman, Bobby Pin, Nickey Beat, Alice Bag, Delphina, Lorna Doom, Pat Smear, Jena.

Bobby Pyn (aka Darby Crash), Nicky Beat, Lorna Doom and Pat Smear were all members of the Germs (as shown on Doom's T-shirt). This would've been around the time that the group was formed.

The picture was taken outside Tower Records on Sunset. The building on the left, which housed the Orpheum Theatre, has been replaced by something much larger, but the others are still there.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...tShops2017.jpg
GSV

I think that the building under the billboard looked better in white, as seen here in 2009. The building on the right has lost its porthole windows.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...tShops2009.jpg
GSV