SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

tdawg Apr 1, 2020 11:52 PM

How do we know for sure that the professor at Yeshiva was the first victim of community spread in the U.S.? Don't people display symptoms at anywhere from 1 - 14 days after exposure? I think that one of the things that is really weighing on the public is that the information keeps changing (ignoring the politics coming from the WH). I was exposed to someone who tested positive and am just coming out of quarantine tomorrow. Luckily my co-worker recovered and I never displayed symptoms but what a wake up call.

Pedestrian Apr 1, 2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8881624)
patient zero is known, well as best as can be known, and she got it at the wuhan wet market where it was finally identified in dec 2019. you have to think it was around before that, at least a month or two? meaning, if it was around in the late fall, that is plenty of time for travel back and forth from china to american chinatowns. :shrug:

Or maybe she didn't get it at the Wuhan west market. Maybe she got it from one of the people working at the virus research lab 300 yards away who was exposed to bat blood and other fluids: https://www.latintimes.com/coronavir...entists-455959

The cited paper from South China U. of Technology has been withdrawn which is no surprise considering it conflicts with the official government explanation of the cause of the epidemic. But then you'd hardly expect the CCP to admit their government lab screwed up. This is NOT an accusation that they were trying to create a bioweapon. The purpose of the lab near the wet market is seemingly believed to be legitimate research. But even so, they were working with a bat species which is the likely source of the virus and which does not live in the vicinity of Wuhan naturally and reports indicate was not being sold in the market nor eaten by the locals.

dave8721 Apr 2, 2020 4:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8881643)
New York's first community spread patient was identified in early March (goddamn, what a difference a month makes?!). He was the lawyer who had not traveled outside of the U.S. or had any known contact with anyone who tested positive for COVID-19. As far as I know, they still haven't definitively determined where he contracted the disease. But, I think it is reasonable to assume that the virus was spreading undetected around New York before him. In fact, even the governor has suggested this a number of times.

If I remember correctly it was a lawyer who had just traveled to South Florida (South Florida had no known cases at the time). He probably took flights with people coming off cruises. If you fly out of South Florida you are flying with a plane full of people who probably just came off cruise ships.
I think cruise ships were specifically built to spread this thing. Cramming thousands of people from all around the world onto a single boat where they share everything and them drop them off a various ports of call to spread it there before dispersing them back out into the world. Btw, we still have a few more cruise ships full of sick and dying passengers pulling into Miami in the next few days.

chris08876 Apr 2, 2020 1:39 PM

Some more lockdown videos of NYC. 360 version, so full screen, a mouse, and moving around is essential; 360° NYC State of Emergency : Driving Harlem - 125th Street (March 31, 2020)

Video Link

Its just incredible to see the lack of folks, but not even folks, the traffic. I mean prior to this virus, either the aliens have landed or incredible luck is vested upon thyself to have little traffic. Normally, prior to the virus, the traffic is so bad that at the end of the day, you don't even know who or what you are.

chris08876 Apr 2, 2020 1:46 PM

Central Park field hospitals are open today. Tents were positioned in the park.

BnaBreaker Apr 2, 2020 3:18 PM

Happening every evening in Chicago's South Loop:

Video Link

chris08876 Apr 2, 2020 4:12 PM

Today’s conference.

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...6f38ac63b.jpeg

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...dca053066.jpeg

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...9132ec34a.jpeg

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...7c0ba1c9e.jpeg

iheartthed Apr 2, 2020 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8881969)
If I remember correctly it was a lawyer who had just traveled to South Florida (South Florida had no known cases at the time). He probably took flights with people coming off cruises. If you fly out of South Florida you are flying with a plane full of people who probably just came off cruise ships.
I think cruise ships were specifically built to spread this thing. Cramming thousands of people from all around the world onto a single boat where they share everything and them drop them off a various ports of call to spread it there before dispersing them back out into the world. Btw, we still have a few more cruise ships full of sick and dying passengers pulling into Miami in the next few days.

Yeah, that's completely plausible. Cruise ships have been the origin of a few outbreaks of covid-19. But then there would have been others infected on the flight that spawned their own outbreaks.

pdxtex Apr 2, 2020 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8881624)
patient zero is known, well as best as can be known, and she got it at the wuhan wet market where it was finally identified in dec 2019. you have to think it was around before that, at least a month or two? meaning, if it was around in the late fall, that is plenty of time for travel back and forth from china to american chinatowns. :shrug:

I firmly believe it rolled thru the PNW before xmas. I was looking at cdc data for Alaska, Oregon and Washington that tracked observed outpatient cases of people with flu like illness, so not hospitalized. The years were 2016 to present. During the fall of 2019, all three states had huuuge spike in November, two months before patient zero in Seattle. Anecdotally, I've talked with friends who all observed tons of people in their office who had a strange hacky cough. That absolutely happened in my office before and after xmas but tapered off in February. I get sick maybe once every two years. In January I got sick and it started out with a dry cough straight out of the gate. I'm 46, that's never happened to me in my life....weird. I guess it doesn't make much difference now but I think the west coast has already ran the gauntlet and were just seeing residual cases. Oregon has been very compliant and the numbers show.

Crawford Apr 2, 2020 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxtex (Post 8882466)
I get sick maybe once every two years. In January I got sick and it started out with a dry cough straight out of the. I'm 46, that's never happened to me in my life....weird.

I had a three-week dry cough in Jan-Feb, alongside a short initial fever and discomfort. Never had such an episode in my life. Wife and son had no symptons. I used Dayquil/Nyquil a few times, and that's it. I was always tired, but did my usual routine. Ate normally, slept well.

This also follows a daylong meeting with business associates based out of Shanghai (American, but temporarily expat). I'm guessing I had it.

I also mentioned this to an MD friend, and she says she has heard many such anecdotes. I think, in the end, we'll see this has been with us for months.

iheartthed Apr 2, 2020 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8882480)
I had a three-week dry cough in Jan-Feb, alongside a short initial fever and discomfort. Never had such an episode in my life. Wife and son had no symptons. This also follows a daylong meeting with business associates based out of Shanghai (American, but temporarily expat). I'm guessing I had it.

I also mentioned this to an MD friend, and she says she has heard many such anecdotes. I think, in the end, we'll see this has been with us for months.

I had something similar that started around the second week of February. I may have also had a low grade fever that I didn't notice, but the weirdest thing about it was a very bad sore throat that only lasted for one night. A few people in my office had a bad cough similar to mine around then. Some close friends also had it.

SteveD Apr 2, 2020 7:01 PM

Quote:

I had a three-week dry cough in Jan-Feb, alongside a short initial fever and discomfort. Never had such an episode in my life. Wife and son had no symptons. I used Dayquil/Nyquil a few times, and that's it. I was always tired, but did my usual routine. Ate normally, slept well.

This also follows a daylong meeting with business associates based out of Shanghai (American, but temporarily expat). I'm guessing I had it.

I also was still doing a lot of business travel late February early March and vacationed in S. FL early March. I had a dry cough for weeks, total loss of appetite, and several other minor symptoms. In the future with widespread antibody testing I won't be surprised if I'm found to have had it.

The North One Apr 2, 2020 7:07 PM

I and everybody I knew were also sick right after Christmas. Similar symptoms, sore throat, one day it got really bad, then one day really bad body aches, coughs etc. And I'm not the type who gets sick around that time either.

Could it have been corona? Possibly. But really I have no fucking clue at all so I'm just gonna keep following guidelines and stay at home and so should everybody else.

pdxtex Apr 2, 2020 7:08 PM

Quote:

I had the very same thing. Cough lasted two weeks, a fever developed the day after my cough started and I was lethargic as @#$ for three days. My gf and her sister also got sick shortly after and each layed out in bed for three days.

chris08876 Apr 2, 2020 7:11 PM

I remember going to the doctor around January, right after my sister came up to visit me in Jersey from D.C.. She works in a hospital setting. She too had what looked like a she had a cold. Long story short, I got this cold, and doc said it was just viral upper respiratory infection. No tests, just based on symptoms. But I too, same thing, dry cough. I assumed because of a cold, and like 1.5 months of it too, dry cough. Lasted for a while. IDK... maybe just a cold or I thought maybe because of the dry winter air. Who knows. I was in NYC a week prior to Christmas to see the tree with the gf, so maybe I got something there or my sister gave it to me.

Acajack Apr 2, 2020 7:17 PM

Quick question: what do you call the opposite of a dry cough in English?

sopas ej Apr 2, 2020 7:17 PM

Similar experience here.

Partner and I both had colds right around New Year's; we got over them, and then oddly, mid or late January, we both had cold symptoms again, except slightly more severe. I can't ever remember catching a cold so soon after just having recovered from one. We didn't have fevers, but we did have a dry cough, that lasted about a week or two. If we did have it, and recovered, I hope that means we're now immune to it, or are better able to fight it when it rolls around again.

I see my doctor for my routine physical in June; maybe by then, COVID-19 testing will be available for everyone, and maybe I can get tested to see if I was exposed to it.

SteveD Apr 2, 2020 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8882519)

I don't know if this is a joke with a punch line coming but on the chance that it's not, I'd call a cough that's not "dry" a hacking cough or a productive cough.

homebucket Apr 2, 2020 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8882519)

Productive or wet cough.

Acajack Apr 2, 2020 7:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 8882526)
I don't know if this is a joke with a punch line coming but on the chance that it's not, I'd call a cough that's not "dry" a hacking cough or a productive cough.

No, it's not a joke. Though I guess it kinda sounded like that.

I am a native French speaker and while my English is really good, the differentiation between the two types of coughs is not something I've had to handle in English.

Thanks for the responses, guys!