SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

pj3000 Apr 11, 2020 1:46 PM

It’s more about understanding microbiology and disease vectors than it is about moral superiority, as far as I’m concerned. Ignorance and/or negligence do not get a pass in my book. As a physician who’s specialized in tropical medicine and infectious disease for about 20 years now, I feel well qualified to tell people acting like idiots to get with the fucking program or stay in your house.

Novel respiratory system-attacking viruses arent going away, and unless we learn something collectively about how to slow and reduce their spread throughout the population, this current situation will be a far too repetitive ordeal globally.

hauntedheadnc Apr 11, 2020 2:34 PM

Coronavirus Crisis: Snapshot of Western North Carolina

In other news Henderson County, the county south of Asheville, has almost double the number of the cases as Buncombe County and has had five deaths. Henderson has had 68 cases and 5 deaths to Buncombe's 39 cases and 2 deaths. Henderson County is a major retirement area, and has had a major outbreak in a nursing home there.

In further news, someone stole the "Heroes Work Here" sign out front of Mission Hospital in Asheville, and someone else used a crowbar to steal a hand sanitizer dispenser from a gas station in West Asheville.

And lastly, my husband and I had to go pick up a part yesterday for a computer he's building from the Best Buy in Greenville, SC. When you cross the state line, a cheery message greets you from the big electronic sign overhanging the interstate: GO HOME STAY HOME.

the urban politician Apr 11, 2020 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8890624)
This is really bringing out Americans’ natural tendency to lecture others and claim moral superiority, isn’t it?

Not to mention that basically the whole country is hypochondriac, over-prescribed and over-treated medically, with paranoia about illness fed by things like WebMD.

It must be a really weird feeling back home.

I usually don’t agree with your incessant complaining about America, but you are 100% spot on here.

Our society here in the US is definitely both a hypochondriac as well as a finger pointing society. The more they have, the more they act like they are deprived. It’s always about blaming someone. It’s always about “who did this to me? Who’s fault is it?” People want to have a label/scapegoat and an immediate fix for every problem.

And the moral lecturing is spot on.

iheartthed Apr 11, 2020 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8890247)
That makes no sense. I understand not allowing credit cards (they’ve just disallowed that for betting apps here), but why not a debit card?

Huge fraud risk.

chris08876 Apr 11, 2020 4:35 PM

NYC schools to remain closed for the rest of the school year.

mousquet Apr 11, 2020 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8890762)

My neighborhood's kids are going to clap and cheer like crazy in 10 minutes from now... 8 pm.
You know, the ritual to give thanks to caregivers and all those who can't work from home.
They're sick of being locked up with their annoying parents, missing their schoolmates, almost missing school life, kinda fed up with video games and Netflix... It's not so funny when you can't go outside at will. Damn, it's getting to some crazy point that they are kinda missing school now.
And they are loud in this neighborhood at 8 pm. Actually, they challenge their parents at being the loudest, lol.

Bah, kids can afford to be careless and funny because they have their entire lives to live. :)

Pedestrian Apr 11, 2020 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8890762)

Maybe (I really enjoy watching these 2 fight).

Quote:

Cuomo Says New York Mayor Doesn’t Have the Authority to Keep Schools Closed
By Katie Honan and Lee Hawkins
Updated April 11, 2020 1:29 pm ET

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Saturday that he would keep the city’s public school system closed for the rest of the school year, but the state’s governor quickly challenged him on the decision.

The system, the largest in the nation, has been closed since March 16 because of the state’s coronavirus outbreak. It won’t reopen until September out of caution for students, faculty and staff, Mr. de Blasio said at press conference Saturday morning.

“Everything we’re doing is to protect our children, our families, to help end the pain and the trauma,” he said. “We’ve all been through so much, but we have to work constantly to make sure that this ends.”

Hours later, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said only the state has the power to extend school closures.

“There has been no decision. That’s the mayor’s opinion,” Mr. Cuomo said at a press conference.

The governor issued an executive order on March 18 requiring state approval for any local ordinances. He previously ordered all schools in the state to remain closed until April 29. He said Saturday that he would coordinate decisions about all schools in the New York City region and plans to reopen them at the same time.

In response to Mr. Cuomo’s remarks, a spokeswoman for the mayor said the city’s public-school system would remain closed and that Mr. de Blasio would be proven right about his timeline for reopening . . . .

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yor...d=hp_lead_pos2

iheartthed Apr 11, 2020 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8890881)
Maybe (I really enjoy watching these 2 fight).

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yor...d=hp_lead_pos2

The schools will obviously not reopen this school year, but what's more annoying is that these two obviously don't talk to each other. Governor Egotistical vs. Mayor Egotistical.

bossabreezes Apr 11, 2020 8:21 PM

Both are annoying but De Blasio is far more unlikable.

JManc Apr 11, 2020 9:26 PM

This is probably the first time I recall NYS throwing its weight around and reminding NYC who's really in charge. Otherwise NYC operates like a state within a state.

10023 Apr 11, 2020 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8890710)
I usually don’t agree with your incessant complaining about America, but you are 100% spot on here.

Our society here in the US is definitely both a hypochondriac as well as a finger pointing society. The more they have, the more they act like they are deprived. It’s always about blaming someone. It’s always about “who did this to me? Who’s fault is it?” People want to have a label/scapegoat and an immediate fix for every problem.

And the moral lecturing is spot on.

It’s not a novel idea. America is a nation founded by Puritans, and moral lecturing has been a strain throughout its entire history, from Manifest Destiny through to the Neoconservative project of “spreading democracy” (by force if necessary).

Great country, but let’s call it like it is.

rsbear Apr 11, 2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8890981)
It’s not a novel idea. America is a nation founded by Puritans, and moral lecturing has been a strain throughout its entire history, from Manifest Destiny through to the Neoconservative project of “spreading democracy” (by force if necessary).

Great country, but let’s call it like it is.

The Puritans from England...

montréaliste Apr 11, 2020 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsbear (Post 8891002)

lawl.

xzmattzx Apr 12, 2020 4:13 AM

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but Delaware has been halfway closing its borders. Major roads into the state are being guarded by the Delaware State Police, and they are checking license plates and turning around the out-of-state cars. I have not seen the police really turning anyone around on I-295 at the Delaware Memorial Bridge, though. The incident that has gotten the most media attention was that the state police blocked the exit ramp from I-95 onto Naaman's Road, just a few feet after the Pennsylvania border. Right next to the exit ramp is a Total Wine and Home Depot, and Pennsylvanians come to Delaware to shop because we have no sales tax. So, the police were turning around people who were basically trying to get alcohol and home improvement stuff. Another notable thing going on is the the police for the town of Rehoboth Beach are trailing cars with out-of-state license plates and either getting them to leave the town and state, or go back to where they're staying (since we have a mandatory 14-day quarantine for anyone that enters the state).

dave8721 Apr 12, 2020 5:42 AM

The Florida Keys closed their borders to non-residents. Its easy to do logistically as there is just one road in and out but tough on a tourism based economy. It has largely worked though with very few cases showing up in the Keys.

Lear Apr 12, 2020 12:26 PM

Happy Eastern from Berlin !

https://www.maz-online.de/var/storag...er_article.jpg

montréaliste Apr 12, 2020 1:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lear (Post 8891311)

And a Happy Western to you too!

rsbear Apr 12, 2020 4:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8891319)
And a Happy Western to you too!

LOL!

Thanks for making me laugh this morning. :)

montréaliste Apr 12, 2020 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsbear (Post 8891385)
LOL!

Thanks for making me laugh this morning. :)

Likewise about your Puritan reply.:)

Pedestrian Apr 12, 2020 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsbear (Post 8891002)

The Puritans who RULED England for a while.