SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 130 N Franklin | 751 FT | 51 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199537)

munchymunch Jan 22, 2015 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawainpanda (Post 6885314)
not entirely sure how much that really means in regards tot he development of the building but agree with others, this building is fantastic, would love to see it and 151 N franklin fill in prime spaces in the loop that are currently parking lots

Agreed I really want this tower to be built, it's so god damn sleek. :slob:

I don't feel the same way about 151, to boring, hopefully that get's an up-grade. But that probably won't happen.

wierdaaron Jan 23, 2015 2:31 AM

Re open floor plans, modern office buildings come with wide open floor plates that tenants can build out however they see fit, be it open floor plan or a million tiny office pods, so individual office designs is up to the tenants and not the building.

Notyrview Jan 23, 2015 2:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 6885353)
I'm 41, so not exactly the "younger generation," but I'm often more in line with the younger generation than people my age as far as preferences go.

I strongly prefer an open office plan. It's probably partly due to me working in the trading industry where that is pretty much the standard, but better air and light, easier identification of where people I need are, and easier for people who need me to find me all make it so much more efficient than high-wall cubes.

People talk about "distractions" and such, but the privacy of a high-walled cube also makes it easier for people to slack off, which, in my experience, more than offsets any improvement fewer distractions allow from an organization standpoint. And some "distractions" are actually beneficial to a business if they are keeping workers informed and working on the necessary parts of a project when they need to be. Isolation can make change harder simply because people are less aware of what others are doing.

This is going to sound bad, and I don't aim it any anyone in this thread, but it's also been my experience that the people who gripe the most about open plan offices are often the least-productive workers. The only real exception are people doing work that requires privacy, such as certain kinds of law, HR departments, executives, etc. And even then, in the case of executives when you're visible as an executive you can usually muster more out of your workers than you can if they never see you.

So, basically, better light, better air, and having actual line-of-sight of what your team is doing is a huge advantage that, in my experience, more than offsets the switching-costs of additional distractions and disruptions brought on by open-plan office layouts.

Dude. Seriously. Writers, coders, artists, researchers, statisticians, analysts - basically anyone with a specialized skill set beyond chatting people up - craves privacy so we can do our work in peace while you take the credit and bitch about slackers. Younger generation? You sound 60.

Ch.G, Ch.G Jan 23, 2015 6:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 6886116)
Dude. Seriously. Writers, coders, artists, researchers, statisticians, analysts - basically anyone with a specialized skill set beyond chatting people up - craves privacy so we can do our work in peace while you take the credit and bitch about slackers. Younger generation? You sound 60.

Kinda harsh.

I'd always preferred privacy, but college architecture studio forced me to work in an open floor plan. I had my own desks and computer but no partitions between me and any of my peers. I was surprised by how easy it was for me to adapt.

I've currently got something more than a cubicle but less than an office—no door but eight foot tall 2x4 walls in a warehouse-tyoe building with cathedral ceilings.

I hate it. I hate shouting over the walls from my seat, the reduced of face-to-face interaction, and the lack of natural light, and it's for sure easier for me to fall down an internet k-hole. emathias' description rings true for me.

rlw777 Jan 23, 2015 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 6885353)
This is going to sound bad, and I don't aim it any anyone in this thread, but it's also been my experience that the people who gripe the most about open plan offices are often the least-productive workers. The only real exception are people doing work that requires privacy, such as certain kinds of law, HR departments, executives, etc. And even then, in the case of executives when you're visible as an executive you can usually muster more out of your workers than you can if they never see you.

So, basically, better light, better air, and having actual line-of-sight of what your team is doing is a huge advantage that, in my experience, more than offsets the switching-costs of additional distractions and disruptions brought on by open-plan office layouts.

Yuck sounds like micromanagment. "Say hello to LUMBERGH for me!!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 6886116)

First that response was way over the top I think you may have some unresolved issues with a current or previous employer. Second my office is an open plan office with programmers designers and writiers and we prefer it that way. No gross cubicals, no micromanaging, lots of creative social interaction, and enough space that we don't feel like we are smothering each other.

SamInTheLoop Jan 23, 2015 4:35 PM

I'm more with Notyrview here. As I spend a decent part of my time in heavy duty analysis and writing, I do think that floor plans in recent years have become too wide open. In fact, some companies in the last couple years are realizing that they in fact went too far. However, they and I also realize that it is a balance, that certainly natural light, communication, collaboration, etc etc are indeed considerations that should continue to be part of the equation.....

SamInTheLoop Jan 23, 2015 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munchymunch (Post 6885657)
Agreed I really want this tower to be built, it's so god damn sleek. :slob:

I don't feel the same way about 151, to boring, hopefully that get's an up-grade. But that probably won't happen.

Disagree on 2nd part - I do like 130, however Ronan's 151 is the superior design in my book, for its almost 'classic' modern elegance. At any rate, they're both :tup: and, I really think in the not distant future (by end of this year perhaps) both will be officially launched....

sentinel Jan 23, 2015 4:57 PM

Different strokes for different folks, and a lot of it depends on the specific needs of the occupier. Having not only worked in a variety of office layouts, but also having designed a variety of corporate office layouts, there is no magic formula for what works best.

I think the renderings in the video were intended solely to provide a visual of a possible layout, and since one of the biggest trends right now is partition-less plan, it's only really a marketing ploy.

Notyrview Jan 24, 2015 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw777 (Post 6886572)
Yuck sounds like micromanagment. "Say hello to LUMBERGH for me!!"

First that response was way over the top I think you may have some unresolved issues with a current or previous employer. Second my office is an open plan office with programmers designers and writiers and we prefer it that way. No gross cubicals, no micromanaging, lots of creative social interaction, and enough space that we don't feel like we are smothering each other.

Ok, admittedly, response was OTT, but my point is totally valid. I'm really tired of management theory from MBA programs dictating how people should work - they are better at dictating how graduates of MBA programs should work. It's a huge insidious sampling error. And of course I have issues with an ex-employer. I was forced to be an extrovert by ex-frat boys and sorority girls from those MBA programs. Look, I'm not saying everyone should be cordoned off into silos, but there needs to be a balance and rethinking of the workplace from a broader psychosocial sample. The real culprit isn't slackers, it's theory gone haywire forcing people to be 1) who they are not, and 2) participate in an endless schedule of unproductive meetings where project managers just talk talk talk. Being a programmer and writer, most of my peers need privacy to get any real work done. That's why we wind up doing most of it after hours.

Tom In Chicago Jan 24, 2015 5:03 PM

Let's keep this discussion on topic please. . .

. . .

ardecila Mar 11, 2015 6:28 AM

I have heard some rumblings about this project... hopefully we hear some good news in the coming weeks.

Notyrview Mar 11, 2015 9:15 PM

Thanks for sharing the rumblings. I really want this project to take off because i'm crazy and lay in bed at night thinking about potential towers.

LouisVanDerWright Mar 11, 2015 11:30 PM

Nice, this one I am almost more excited for than 150 N Riverside and definitely more excited for than River Point. This part of downtown is going to be an absolute forest of cranes if this starts this year.

ChiTownWonder Apr 5, 2015 2:10 AM

Never noticed how big of an impact this will make from the Randolph and Washington st. bridges
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131580...3/16416233323/

Zapatan Apr 5, 2015 2:47 AM

This building is nice, is it starting soon?

munchymunch Apr 5, 2015 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder (Post 6977724)
Never noticed how big of an impact this will make from the Randolph and Washington st. bridges

Shit that's nice.

can you create one with the skyline?

ardecila Apr 6, 2015 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6946267)
I have heard some rumblings about this project... hopefully we hear some good news in the coming weeks.

Brendan Reilly is hosting a public meeting about this tower later in April.

munchymunch Apr 6, 2015 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6978411)

Yup, very excited for this one.

Just hope the design doesn't change.

http://www.ctbuh.org/Portals/0/Media...Franklin_4.jpg

:)

MV2 Apr 6, 2015 1:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6978411)

Reposting from Highrise thread: Just received a physically mailed letter from Reilly announcing community presentation for development proposal at 130 N Franklin. 51 story office building, ground floor retail / commercial; 190 off street parking; large landscaped plaza containing 20,000 SF open space.

WHEN: Monday April 20 2015 @ 6pm

WHERE: 227 West Monroe Rustle & Roux 2nd Fl. Cafeteria

the urban politician Apr 6, 2015 3:22 AM

^ So with this making it this far, we potentially have this one, 444 W Lake, 150 N Riverside, and 151 N Franklin coming out of this boom?

I know some out there are predicting about 4 office towers out of this cycle.

munchymunch Apr 6, 2015 3:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 6978607)
^ So with this making it this far, we potentially have this one, 444 W Lake, 150 N Riverside, and 151 N Franklin coming out of this boom?

I know some out there are predicting about 4 office towers out of this cycle.

Sam?

SamInTheLoop Apr 6, 2015 2:43 PM

^ I'm at - and have been for quite some time - 4-6 large new office towers this cycle.....only talking about traditional 750k+ sq ft, 30+ stories new construction in the actual CBD.....

I'm very excited for 130 N. Franklin as well......another little tight mini-cluster of new ones with this and 151 Franklin......particularly looking forward to getting large new office towers from a couple very talented Chicago architects, for each of which this will be their first here (K+S, Ronan).........

Finally, looks like this one will have great views to the West from upper floors.....

HomrQT Apr 6, 2015 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder (Post 6977724)

Something about this seems wrong. It's too squat. It appears someone made the model flush on the lot along Washington which is not quite right from the renders.

rlw777 Apr 6, 2015 8:13 PM

This is definitely my favorite design of the current cycle of proposed / UC buildings. Hopefully in the forthcoming meeting about the project we get some info about a start date and tenant. With all the current project proposals and construction the area around the river confluence is going to go from a no mans land of railroad tracks and parking lots to a vibrant cityscape pretty quick. Let's hope this one and 151 n franklin get off the ground.

hawainpanda Apr 7, 2015 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 6978911)
^ I'm at - and have been for quite some time - 4-6 large new office towers this cycle.....only talking about traditional 750k+ sq ft, 30+ stories new construction in the actual CBD.....

I'm very excited for 130 N. Franklin as well......another little tight mini-cluster of new ones with this and 151 Franklin......particularly looking forward to getting large new office towers from a couple very talented Chicago architects, for each of which this will be their first here (K+S, Ronan).........

Finally, looks like this one will have great views to the West from upper floors.....

I think the next likely construction is 590 W. Madison, past this though I think most other proposals are pretty stale unless Chicago economy continues to improve, hopefully we will see the south and east wolf point towers comeup too....

ChiTownWonder Apr 7, 2015 3:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 6979368)
Something about this seems wrong. It's too squat. It appears someone made the model flush on the lot along Washington which is not quite right from the renders.

You are right. I made a quick revision. Still not incredibly accurate, much too thick, but you get the idea.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131580.../in/datetaken/

Here is a view from a bit further west

And here is a view from the Hancock building

Zapatan Apr 7, 2015 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawainpanda (Post 6979792)
I think the next likely construction is 590 W. Madison, past this though I think most other proposals are pretty stale unless Chicago economy continues to improve, hopefully we will see the south and east wolf point towers comeup too....

Are you just referring to office towers? If not, what about 451 East Grand and The Chicago? I thought that was likely to start construction this year.

It seems Chicago is starting to pick up again. Especially once the other Wolf Point Towers, Spire site and/if Wanda Vista start going up, hopefully by next year? :shrug:

HomrQT Apr 7, 2015 9:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder (Post 6980019)
You are right. I made a quick revision. Still not incredibly accurate, much too thick, but you get the idea.

Here is a view from a bit further west

And here is a view from the Hancock building

Still going to make a heck of an impact, can't wait to see it being built. Thanks for making the correction.

Notyrview Apr 7, 2015 10:32 PM

Man, if this hikes up to 780 its gonna be so sickening.

Zapatan Apr 7, 2015 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 6981264)
Man, if this hikes up to 780 its gonna be so sickening.

That'd be nice.

With 2 or three extra floors it'll probably end up ~730 or so, esentially creating a plateau with the two rising across from Wold Point. While I like all of these buildings it would be nice if there were a little variation. Beggars can't be choosers though, I'm happy Chicago is getting back into the high rise game :)

Notyrview Apr 8, 2015 12:06 AM

^It's so true. This a phenomenal cluster of towers regardless. And I'd be happy with the 696. But it's so much fun to speculate! They could always surprise us with a 100 foot rooftop atrium.

Zapatan Apr 8, 2015 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 6981383)
^It's so true. This a phenomenal cluster of towers regardless. And I'd be happy with the 696. But it's so much fun to speculate! They could always surprise us with a 100 foot rooftop atrium.

If I'm not mistaken 696' is the figure from the original 48 or 49 story proposal. Apparently now it has 51 floors so it should be in the 700's.

SamInTheLoop Apr 8, 2015 3:17 PM

Just carrying over some reports from the highrise thread:

Folks are reporting over there that (I believe there are documents outlining) we could be looking at 699' to the top of the parapet and 709' (if these don't conflict in some minor way) to the top of the elevator penthouse......so a bit taller than most of the other newer Wacker driver office towers (think 155 N, 1 N, 71 S, 111 S, etc).......I'll take it.....

Notyrview Apr 9, 2015 1:22 PM

^indeed, you can't complain about 709'

i_am_hydrogen Apr 15, 2015 5:51 PM

Here ye, here ye!

Quote:

Tishman Speyer Development LLC proposes a 51-story office building with ground floor retail and commercial space. 190 accessory off-street parking spaces will be provided. The proposed development will also include a large landscaped plaza containing approximately 20,000 square feet of open space.

WHAT: 130 North Franklin, Chicago, Illinois

WHEN: Monday, April 20, 2015 at 6:00 pm

WHERE: The Franklin - Rustle & Roux - 227 W. Monroe Street, 2nd floor Cafeteria

Notyrview Apr 15, 2015 5:59 PM

Weeeeeeeee!

Steely Dan Apr 15, 2015 7:11 PM

i updated the thread title with the new floor count and what has been rumored to be the new height to the top of the elevator penthouse.

hopefully we will be given better height info from next monday's meeting.

SamInTheLoop Apr 20, 2015 11:50 AM

Public Meeting This Evening

PSA - Just a reminder:

WHAT: 130 North Franklin, Chicago, Illinois

WHEN: Monday, April 20, 2015 at 6:00 pm

WHERE: The Franklin - Rustle & Roux - 227 W. Monroe Street, 2nd floor Cafeteria

rlw777 Apr 20, 2015 7:01 PM

What's the over under on the developer announcing an anchor tenant for this project today?

BVictor1 Apr 20, 2015 11:05 PM

Just spoke to one of the lawyers on the project and he stated that the building would be 53 stories and 720'.

Will report more back later.

BVictor1 Apr 20, 2015 11:29 PM

751' 6" to the top of the structure.

Notyrview Apr 20, 2015 11:42 PM

Hahaha yasssssss. And a mighty fine peak it'll be!

rlw777 Apr 21, 2015 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 6997780)

Fantastic a very welcome jump above the 700' plateau

ardecila Apr 21, 2015 1:17 AM

Wow they must have added several stories since last fall. I have a floor-to-floor of 13'-3", which means an additional four floors have been added since the previous height figure.

Previous floor count was 49, now it is 53.

Steely Dan Apr 21, 2015 1:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 6997780)

Cool!

What about the floor count? Is 53 correct?

BVictor1 Apr 21, 2015 2:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 6997886)
Cool!

What about the floor count? Is 53 correct?

That's what they stated.

Here are a few notes from tonights meeting...

53 stories and 720' to the top floor.

DC-16 (downtown core) zoning

Rich Klawiter (lawyer) from DLA Piper

Developed or redevelopers 13.5 million square feet of space here in Chicago

the block is about 380' in length

190 parking spaces

origami like

Retail square footage is up to 14,000 sq ft
LEED Silver (possible higher)

One way entrance off Washington and exit onto Randolph

25,000 sq ft skygarden

Lobby will be about 54' tall

The base angles inward from the Randolph alley southeast towards Franklin

multiple public plazas of about 19,000 SF

751' 6" to the top of the structure

Site area is 63,382
Base FAR is 16
Plaza bonus is 5.07
Total allowable FAR - 21.07
Plaza Area - 20,703 SF
Total allowable floor area - 1,377,360 SF
Timeline - Filing in spring/summer and approval in the fall and they want to begin construction in 2016 and be completed in 2018

Haven't eliminated the possibility of going speck, but are talking with possible tenants

The current surface lot has about 290 parking spaces

Zapatan Apr 21, 2015 3:11 AM

Nice!

3 well designed ~750 foot buildings rising near each other is nothing to complain about. Once the other Wolf Point towers go up (hopefully with a height increase) this area of the river is going to be a straight up canyon!

Notyrview Apr 21, 2015 10:38 AM

^Yeah, you bring up a good point. With these towers in place, it will be hard to sell a less-than-supertall project on Wolf Point. The skyline itself will impose it. It must needs be done!

Chicago_Forever Apr 21, 2015 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 6997938)
That's what they stated.

Here are a few notes from tonights meeting...

53 stories and 720' to the top floor.

DC-16 (downtown core) zoning

Rich Klawiter (lawyer) from DLA Piper

Developed or redevelopers 13.5 million square feet of space here in Chicago

the block is about 380' in length

190 parking spaces

origami like

Retail square footage is up to 14,000 sq ft
LEED Silver (possible higher)

One way entrance off Washington and exit onto Randolph

25,000 sq ft skygarden

Lobby will be about 54' tall

The base angles inward from the Randolph alley southeast towards Franklin

multiple public plazas of about 19,000 SF

751' 6" to the top of the structure

Site area is 63,382
Base FAR is 16
Plaza bonus is 5.07
Total allowable FAR - 21.07
Plaza Area - 20,703 SF
Total allowable floor area - 1,377,360 SF
Timeline - Filing in spring/summer and approval in the fall and they want to begin construction in 2016 and be completed in 2018

Haven't eliminated the possibility of going speck, but are talking with possible tenants

The current surface lot has about 290 parking spaces

Thanks for attending and reporting back, BVictor. Were there any new renderings at the presentation?

SamInTheLoop Apr 21, 2015 12:37 PM

^ Was there as well, and yes there were - and this tower is going to be an absolute stunner......really pulling for Tishman Speyer to make this one happen........