SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

CrestedSaguaro Oct 16, 2017 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 7954404)
It's only guess, mind you, but is this building going to be 19 stories like every other residential high rise proposal?

350' was the proposed height and what was submitted to the FAA earlier this year.

fawd Oct 16, 2017 11:31 PM

Looks fantastic!!

muertecaza Oct 17, 2017 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutteringpunk (Post 7954488)
I know the hotel is moving along, but has anyone heard any news regarding this?

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...xt-to-new.html

The most recent thing I've seen is a zoning application over the summer to reduce the 5' minimum setback along Central to 0'. Back in March, this article noted a planned start date of 4th quarter 2017 for the residential tower.

PHXFlyer11 Oct 17, 2017 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7954424)
Allegedly its 29 with phase 2 being 25 and phase 3 being 20

Based on that rendering it looks like 20 ish floors on top of a pretty tall parking base.

Hahahahaha can't wait to see Roosevelt fight this like hell. Too predictable.

CrestedSaguaro Oct 17, 2017 1:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7954651)

To my knowledge, I think they have already had a couple meetings with the RAA. They also didn't fight the GPLET that was awarded either like Circles or Derby. Strange.

Obadno Oct 17, 2017 1:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7954651)

Its a little far south for Roosevelt to complain about yeah? Its only 3 blocks north of the Sheraton and AZ center with similar heights.

fawd Oct 17, 2017 2:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7954690)
Its a little far south for Roosevelt to complain about yeah? Its only 3 blocks north of the Sheraton and AZ center with similar heights.

Agreed.

RAA isn't going to win this battle long term - we're seeing too much interest for larger scale projects in the area. Only going to grow as DTPHX continues to develop.

combusean Oct 17, 2017 6:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7954681)
To my knowledge, I think they have already had a couple meetings with the RAA. They also didn't fight the GPLET that was awarded either like Circles or Derby. Strange.

The most active members of RAA were, so long ago, residents of the single-family neighborhoods in the far northwestern corner of their concerned area and pretty far removed from Circles and Derby. Circles is in the far southeast of their designated area, Derby is in the Evans-Churchill/Roosevelt Row neighborhood.

It seemed RAA was ambivalent at best about what was going on that didn't immediately affect them, which honestly made them fairly pragmatic and reasonable.

Has this changed?

pbenjamin Oct 17, 2017 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7954914)
The most active members of RAA were, so long ago, residents of the single-family neighborhoods in the far northwestern corner of their concerned area and pretty far removed from Circles and Derby. Circles is in the far southeast of their designated area, Derby is in the Evans-Churchill/Roosevelt Row neighborhood.

It seemed RAA was ambivalent at best about what was going on that didn't immediately affect them, which honestly made them fairly pragmatic and reasonable.

Has this changed?

I was not directly involved in the Circles Records situation, but my impression was that RAA's objections involved historic preservation, and developers not following the rules, rather than height adjacent to their neighborhood.

CrestedSaguaro Oct 17, 2017 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 7955378)
I was not directly involved in the Circles Records situation, but my impression was that RAA's objections involved historic preservation, and developers not following the rules, rather than height adjacent to their neighborhood.

That was particularly true of Circles, but with Derby, the height concern has been thrown around here and there along with the 0' lot line between Angels Trumpet.

I believe the developers of the Link have been pretty forthcoming with the area groups on what they want to build and I don't believe there was much if any pushback...even with the GPLET request. I would think it is mainly due to what Obadno suggested...farther South and out of Roosevelt's hair.

Obadno Oct 17, 2017 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7955432)
That was particularly true of Circles, but with Derby, the height concern has been thrown around here and there along with the 0' lot line between Angels Trumpet.

I believe the developers of the Link have been pretty forthcoming with the area groups on what they want to build and I don't believe there was much if any pushback...even with the GPLET request. I would think it is mainly due to what Obadno suggested...farther South and out of Roosevelt's hair.

At some point probably within a decade Roosevelt wont have the ability to argue height realistically anyway assuming we continue to see the downtown core get dense.

If you are between the 7's you really cant complain about high-rises.

CrestedSaguaro Oct 17, 2017 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7955459)
At some point probably within a decade Roosevelt wont have the ability to argue height realistically anyway assuming we continue to see the downtown core get dense.

If you are between the 7's you really cant complain about high-rises.

Agreed. With Stewart getting built, Derby will most likely go up, the Link and there is also the potential for a tower to go up next to Spaghetti Factory. Roosevelt Row will have towers on both sides.

Obadno Oct 17, 2017 6:05 PM

Biomed News

Finally some movement on the Biomed campus

https://downtowndevil.com/2017/10/11...pus-expansion/

Quote:

ASU took this feedback and developed early draft plans. Phase one includes a seven-story lab building, a parking garage with 600 spaces and a pocket park, all located between Fourth and Fifth streets near Garfield Street.

The draft plans for phase one also had several temporary land uses including an area planted future district trees, an event space with food truck parking and an urban farm. These features would later become medical buildings and parking as a part of future expansion phases.
ASU also plans to include first floor retail and event spaces in many of the buildings to encourage community members to make use of the development. The university also wants to make the expansion pedestrian friendly by including shade, walkways and bike lanes.

Based on the agreement ASU has with the city, the first building and parking structure will be finished in 2019 and an additional 2,000 square feet will be added every 30 months after that, according to Rick Naimark, associate vice president for program development planning at ASU.
That sounds pretty good, like the 2 northern blocks close to Roosevelt will now get some use, eating away at the dead zone. And 7 stories, parking and a park on one block will be sufficiently dense I think!

Also there was that story a few months back of UofA consolidating the parcels on 7th north of the Cancer center. I will be Happy to see the area between Garfield and downtown finally get filled in!:cheers:

pbenjamin Oct 17, 2017 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7955432)

Yes but was it the RAA that was throwing it around? For those who missed it, the Roosevelt Action Association is a neighborhood group, with most of its footprint west of Central. I get the impression that sometimes people here confuse it with business owners farther east on Roosevelt.

biggus diggus Oct 17, 2017 7:01 PM

Downtown Phoenix posted on Instagram a photo of a groundbreaking for the link

CrestedSaguaro Oct 17, 2017 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7955601)

Freakin' A! This really just came out of no where. I remember someone posting this was a pipe-dream development. This is a very significant project for Phoenix...especially if they build all 3 towers.

CrestedSaguaro Oct 17, 2017 7:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 7955579)
Yes but was it the RAA that was throwing it around? For those who missed it, the Roosevelt Action Association is a neighborhood group, with most of its footprint west of Central. I get the impression that sometimes people here confuse it with business owners farther east on Roosevelt.

Ah yes, I think it may have been the Evans-Churchill neighborhood/business owners pushing back on Derby's height. The RAA has actually been very quiet since giving the Stewart the nod sometime back.

stutteringpunk Oct 17, 2017 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7955601)

30 stories and 600 units sounds like a good deal to me.

Obadno Oct 17, 2017 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7955633)
Freakin' A! This really just came out of no where. I remember someone posting this was a pipe-dream development. This is a very significant project for Phoenix...especially if they build all 3 towers.

Yeah and with 29 floors isn't that going to make it the tallest building built in the city since 44 Monroe in like 2007?

Almost no fanfare, almost no news?? Between this and the Hampton Inn im beginning to think that in Phoenix the best news is no news lol!

THE LIST:

High rise
Block 23- 17 story apartments under construction
Block 23- 9 story office under construction
the Link - 29 story apartment UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Central Park East- 17 stories apartments and 11 story hotel under construction
The Stuart- 21 story apartment under construction

Derby- 21 story apartment - construction on hold for litigation

The link - 25 story apartment proposed
The link 20 story apartment proposed
Barrister- 18 story apartment proposed
Residences at Collier - 25 story proposed
Arizona Center- ~30 story Condos planning

BMO 2nd tower- 22 stories Rumored

Central station- ~30 stories A man can dream!

Low Rise
Broadstone Roosevelt- Under Construction
Hance Park Apartments and Office- Under construction
Small project next to Broadstone - under Construction
Ally's on roosevelt (I cant remember the name) Under Construction
Grow House 2.0 - Under Construction
Central and Willeta- under Construction
Arizona Center Remodel - Under construction

The Filmore - Planned
The Church- Planned
Native Connections - Planned
Roosevelt and 3rd ave- Planned
McKinley Row- Planned
ASU Biomed Phase 1- Planned
Enhance Phase 2- Planned
Enhance Phase 3 Planned
McKinley and First ave project ( with Grocery) - Planned
Hance Park Update- Planned
Parking Structure 1st street and Jefferson- Planned

Early stages
Spaghetti Factory lot
RFP for Central & Adams
Light Rail Capitol Mall and South Central Extensions

Probably dead
Ballpark Apartments =(

Downtown is going to be completely different in 3 years. Although You can safely say that every 3 years.

Phxguy Oct 17, 2017 8:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7955499)
Finally some movement on the Biomed campus

https://downtowndevil.com/2017/10/11...pus-expansion/

That sounds pretty good, like the 2 northern blocks close to Roosevelt will now get some use, eating away at the dead zone. And 7 stories, parking and a park on one block will be sufficiently dense I think!

Also there was that story a few months back of UofA consolidating the parcels on 7th north of the Cancer center. I will be Happy to see the area between Garfield and downtown finally get filled in!:cheers:

I went to the community visioning process last week which I think was the third and final for the Biomed campus. Was a full house. Won't lie, I am thoroughly impressed with what I saw being presented.

Orientation of the blocks are shortest to tallest (north to south) so the taller larger-footprints will be closer to Fillmore and the pedestrian walkways act as east-west mid-block relief. Emphasis was placed on making 5th St the artery of the project, we can expect bike lanes. There is a pocket park on the SE corner of 5th and Garfield. What's cool here is that retail space opens its doors into the park itself.

There is liberal placement of retail space. Pretty much every street face is covered blank walls are a kept to a minimum (something I despise the Cancer Center for.) There are two parking garages overall but they mentioned the second might not get built. A good job was done to hide both of them in any case, one (McKinley/4th) was covered by decorative sliding and a future phase that will be built over it. This was the most interesting building in the project as some retail space was included in the covered pedestrian mid-block walkway. The other was warped with housing along 6th and Garfield. Housing is an uncertainty at the moment, but it was good to see them include it anyways.

The two homes on the interesting lot between Pierce and Fillmore, 4th and 5th st will remain with the tallest building squeezed between them. Reminded me a bit of the Pixar Movie, UP.

Most people had only good things to say about what we saw. The designers and folks at ASU took what the community had to say with an open mind and altered the project to reflect what was desired. While I can't say everything will get designed as planned, transparency and an open forum is a step in the right direction.