SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina | Pubs and Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212747)

Snowgirl Nov 15, 2018 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 8374633)
Yay! I want all those store fronts filled up!

OMG they have Ruebens!!

KTBuild Dec 10, 2018 1:48 PM

Baller's Rec Room has opened in the old Drink / Pure Nightclub spot on Dewdney. It has pub food, drinks, arcade games, and batting cages. Haven't been, but the pictures online show a full 4-pod Mario Kart setup, a big Pac Man setup, and some pinball machines. The food looks unbelievably generic though (hotdogs, hamburgers, and deep fried pub food)..

Popeye's in Harbour Landing looks close to opening. Sign is up and inside looks decorated. Meating Room and Meltwich haven't started finishings yet.

Festivus Dec 13, 2018 5:07 PM

Someone here is the owner/part-owner of Rebellion, right? Any info about this post from their Facebook that was taken down soon after?

https://i.redd.it/om71vei0d2421.png

Seems like a pretty risky thing to post, legally. Maybe why it was taken down.

djforsberg Dec 13, 2018 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 8407480)
Someone here is the owner/part-owner of Rebellion, right? Any info about this post from their Facebook that was taken down soon after?

https://i.redd.it/om71vei0d2421.png

Seems like a pretty risky thing to post, legally. Maybe why it was taken down.

I love it. Minhas Creek is disgusting. But they probably should have had a friend post it.

aberrant Dec 15, 2018 12:03 AM

https://globalnews.ca/news/4765041/r...r-resold-kegs/

Festivus Dec 31, 2018 2:23 PM

I heard from someone this morning that Bonzinis on South Albert is closing. Has anyone else heard this?

aberrant Jan 1, 2019 1:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 8422221)
I heard from someone this morning that Bonzinis on South Albert is closing. Has anyone else heard this?

I believe their offsale is moving to the Golden Mile.

Drofmab Jan 1, 2019 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aberrant (Post 8422771)
I believe their offsale is moving to the Golden Mile.

...and rebranded as Urban Cellars, right?

Checked out the location on Quance (old Jysk), and was pleasantly surprised. I had extremely low expectations, based on comments I'd seen on the Stoon location, and expection that it'd just be a larger liquor store focused on high-volume, mass-market products. Plenty of local stuff there, and some labels I hadn't seen before. Prices seemed similar to other private stores. Space was large, open, bright & had some decent upbeat music playing (i.e.: didn't feel like the hospital/morgue that has been Willow Park for most of its existence). The cooler is HUGE (they say it's the largest in the prov...), could accommodate much more product than is currently in it. Sometimes lowered expectations are helpful ;)

Stormer Jan 4, 2019 7:52 PM

Has anyone tried Hop and Vine pub on Quance next to Urban Cellars?

aberrant Jan 7, 2019 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 8426151)
Has anyone tried Hop and Vine pub on Quance next to Urban Cellars?

It is the group that owned and operated the Nest on south Albert. It's a brand new build, I believe they have the largest TV screen in the city. I haven't had a chance to eat there yet, was only in there a few days before opening, but I thought it looked nice.

PhotoJim Jan 12, 2019 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aberrant (Post 8428224)
It is the group that owned and operated the Nest on south Albert. It's a brand new build, I believe they have the largest TV screen in the city. I haven't had a chance to eat there yet, was only in there a few days before opening, but I thought it looked nice.

The largest TV screen in the city would be the one at Mosaic Stadium. ;)

Snowgirl Jan 15, 2019 1:24 PM

Smitty's in Southland is closing...anyone know what's going to replace it?

UPP Jan 15, 2019 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowgirl (Post 8436902)
Smitty's in Southland is closing...anyone know what's going to replace it?

Hmm...

Is this the beginning of the end for the chain? The east location is gone already. I'll admit, I haven't been to one in probably 5 years myself. Used to really like that place.

Stormer Jan 15, 2019 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aberrant (Post 8428224)

I talked to a couple who were there for a few drinks and they said the atmosphere was good. They did not try the food. Hopefully it is better than The Nest.

BrutallyDishonest2 Jan 16, 2019 1:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 8436985)
I talked to a couple who were there for a few drinks and they said the atmosphere was good. They did not try the food. Hopefully it is better than The Nest.

Rumor is they're already circling the drain... so we'll see.

BrannyMuffin Jan 16, 2019 5:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPP (Post 8436933)
Hmm...

Is this the beginning of the end for the chain? The east location is gone already. I'll admit, I haven't been to one in probably 5 years myself. Used to really like that place.

Haha my friend and I used to go to Southland Smitty’s for breakfast when we skipped class in university.

Stormer Jan 16, 2019 3:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 8438062)
Rumor is they're already circling the drain... so we'll see.

Having zero social media presence or even a website can't help.

jigglysquishy Jan 16, 2019 3:56 PM

I don't think South Albert is that great of a restaurant hub anymore. Harbor Landing has greatly increased the competition for the south end and downtown/east end have increased competition city wide.

In 2019, it's simply inexcusable to not have a social media presence.

Stormer Jan 16, 2019 4:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 8438543)
I don't think South Albert is that great of a restaurant hub anymore. Harbor Landing has greatly increased the competition for the south end and downtown/east end have increased competition city wide.

In 2019, it's simply inexcusable to not have a social media presence.

You realize they are on Quance right. Although how would you know with lack of promotion.

jigglysquishy Jan 16, 2019 4:10 PM

And here I thought it was in the former Nest location.

BrutallyDishonest2 Jan 16, 2019 11:35 PM

I think people are talking about Hop and Vine and Has Beans Cafe.

curo Jan 17, 2019 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 8439259)
I think people are talking about Hop and Vine and Has Beans Cafe.

Yeah don't know about Has Beans Cafe but Hop & Vine seems to always be busy when I drive by.

Stormer Jan 17, 2019 8:40 PM

Press'd is open in the Hill Mall. Sandwiches and soup are fresh and tasty.

Pot shop appears to have leased space immediately to the North but no action there.

StealthGirl Feb 8, 2019 7:41 PM

New ice cream shop opening on Albert south. Judging by the address, I expect it is near Red Swan (north of the Bonzini's strip mall).

https://www.dandysartisanicecream.com/

PhotoJim Feb 13, 2019 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 8466692)
New ice cream shop opening on Albert south. Judging by the address, I expect it is near Red Swan (north of the Bonzini's strip mall).

https://www.dandysartisanicecream.com/

That's nicely located. I work less than a block away.

yveseluj Feb 14, 2019 1:44 PM

Went on opening day and it was fantastic (and busy).

sastaunik44 Feb 14, 2019 4:34 PM

Starbucks is taking over the old Robins location on Mccarthy

StealthGirl Feb 19, 2019 5:33 PM

Table 10 is closing at the end of March.

Stormer Feb 19, 2019 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sastaunik44 (Post 8473945)
Starbucks is taking over the old Robins location on Mccarthy

Harvard seems to be getting them in all of their shopping centres, along with DQ which has franchise cross ownership.

Stormer Feb 26, 2019 8:41 PM

All you chain restaurant lovers will be relieved to hear that Olive Garden is hiring.

https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/...ls=444042_5171

pappcam Feb 26, 2019 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 8488188)
All you chain restaurant lovers will be relived to hear that Olive Garden is hiring.

https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/...ls=444042_5171

Interesting. The rumours of 10 years ago are finally coming true.

Somewhat of an elitist way to say it but thanks anyway.

Stormer Feb 26, 2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 8488285)

Admitted elitist when it comes to food. :eat:

jigglysquishy Feb 27, 2019 1:47 AM

We already have an Oliver Garden. It's just called East Side Mario's.

pappcam Feb 27, 2019 2:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 8488546)
We already have an Oliver Garden. It's just called East Side Mario's.

East Side Mario's is more of an Italian Montana's or Applebee's while Olive Garden is more of an Italian Red Lobster so they are slightly different.

It's humorous that this city is currently in the dumpster economically and yet people are still complaining about things that are actually being built here.

Dan0myte Feb 27, 2019 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 8488285)

<delete>

djforsberg Feb 27, 2019 10:02 PM

Implying chain restaurants are worse than non-chains: elitist.

Complaining that Saskatchewan's richest private company was given land in Wascana Park: political partisan.

Got it.

pappcam Feb 28, 2019 2:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 8489669)
Implying chain restaurants are worse than non-chains: elitist.

Complaining that Saskatchewan's richest private company was given land in Wascana Park: political partisan.

Got it.

Stay on topic muffin. :tup:

djforsberg Feb 28, 2019 1:58 PM

I prefer to support local establishments but I know families and my grandma will be happy about Olive Garden coming here.

LittleBoy Mar 5, 2019 9:30 PM

Well, sounds like Revival Music Room on Dewdney is closing at the end of April. Never had the chance to make it out, but it seemed to receive decent reviews. Speaking as someone very involved with the music scene, it just isn't possible to make a venue centered around music anymore.

cityboy Mar 7, 2019 4:46 PM

Olive Garden

Obviously they are going to be a bit tight lipped about it this time but based on the posting on their website, it would be indeed going to Grasslands:

Restaurant Number: 4348
Req. Number: 36753BR
Posted Date: 2/25/2019
Address: Gordon Road and Lewvan Drive
City, State: Regina, Saskatchewan
Postal Code: S4W 0-B7

Any idea whereabouts? I'm guessing somewhere West of the Brewhouse?

StealthGirl Mar 8, 2019 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityboy (Post 8497863)
Obviously they are going to be a bit tight lipped about it this time but based on the posting on their website, it would be indeed going to Grasslands:

Restaurant Number: 4348
Req. Number: 36753BR
Posted Date: 2/25/2019
Address: Gordon Road and Lewvan Drive
City, State: Regina, Saskatchewan
Postal Code: S4W 0-B7

Any idea whereabouts? I'm guessing somewhere West of the Brewhouse?

The Meating Room (moving from Dewdney or second location?) and Meltwich (4936 Gordon according to MW website) are coming to Grasslands according to the Grasslands website. I'd expect Meltwich will go into a strip mall location, maybe one of the vacant spots by Knight Archer. Olive Garden would like be a freestanding building so I'd think north of McDonalds.

Rodo Regina Lover Mar 8, 2019 7:05 PM

how about Olive Garden just west of the Urban Barn where there are stakes in the ground already??

one_brick_at_a_time Mar 11, 2019 8:28 PM

Recipe Unlimited seems to be the place holder tenant for the former Southland Mall Swiss Chalet. They operate the following:

East Side Mario's
Harvey's
Kelseys Original Roadhouse
Milestones Grill and Bar
Montana's BBQ & Bar
New York Fries
St-Hubert
Swiss Chalet
The Keg

So I wonder if one of those will be taking the spot instead.

https://strathallen.com/resources/do...te_plan_76.pdf

PhotoJim Mar 12, 2019 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 8502146)
Recipe Unlimited seems to be the place holder tenant for the former Southland Mall Swiss Chalet. They operate the following:...
Swiss Chaleth

Seems more likely they're the tenant from when the Swiss Chalet was operating, and they have not been able to break their lease, or that that information is old.

I like your idea better, but I don't think it likely one of those restaurants will be moving into the space.

Draftsman Mar 12, 2019 5:03 PM

The Southland Swiss Chalet was a franchise. There apparently was an issue between the franchise holders. From what I understand, there were two, and perhaps three, people who co-owned the franchise (if I am using the correct terminology). So for that reason (franchise) I would believe they were leasing the space from the mall owner (Strathallen). The Rochdale Swiss Chalet, and the adjacent Harvey's are corporate stores. There was mention some time ago that East Side Mario's was going to open a second location at Grasslands, which never happened. It would be nice if a family-style restaurant opened in the former SC building. But, as everyone knows, the economy sucks, and it is a tough go for many restaurants in our city right now.

Draftsman Mar 12, 2019 5:11 PM

Does anyone know anything about the former Keg/Hickory location on South Albert? It has been vacant for years. Has someone been paying the property taxes on this building or did they forfeit the property to the City? It's a shame that it was not incorporated into the rebuilt Co-Op gas bar and A&W.

Festivus Mar 20, 2019 4:25 AM

Willow on Wascana is closing on March 30. Will be renovated and will reopen as Bar Willow, a "very casual" dining experience.

Same owners and chef, but cheaper, I guess. Weird name imo, as it will be a casual-dining place, not a bar.

pappcam Mar 20, 2019 1:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 8511990)
Willow on Wascana is closing on March 30. Will be renovated and will reopen as Bar Willow, a "very casual" dining experience.

Same owners and chef, but cheaper, I guess. Weird name imo, as it will be a casual-dining place, not a bar.

Will it still be overrated and overpriced?

How does a private company get such prime real estate in the park? ;)

aberrant Mar 21, 2019 2:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 8512211)
How does a private company get such prime real estate in the park? ;)

There was an RFP on the building around 2002-03 which they won. I had friends that had propsed putting in a nightclub.

Draftsman Mar 21, 2019 1:27 PM

Wasn't this building built in connection to Regina getting something like the Canada Summer Games, or a national rowing event? The building was built to store canoes (which the Regina Rowing Club still uses for that purpose) with a restaurant on top. It was not a high-end restaurant at first.