SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

JManc Jun 18, 2021 9:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9315588)
If bosses were happy about people working from home, we wouldn’t be reading articles about companies calling people back into their offices.

So….you’re not convincing me of anything when you spin your story about how “hard working” you are at home. I’ve been around the block a bit too many times

Some businesses are not happy about WFH but others are and more and more of them are allowing for remote workers. It's inevitable. I am currently in the job market and have pretty much stopped looking for work here in Houston and instead at remote positions in other cities because the economy here is not good. Thank goodness for remote work because I would be SOL.

SteveD Jun 18, 2021 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9315946)
Some businesses are not happy about WFH but others are and more and more of them are allowing for remote workers. It's inevitable. I am currently in the job market and have pretty much stopped looking for work here in Houston and instead at remote positions in other cities because the economy here is not good. Thank goodness for remote work because I would be SOL.

I need a laptop and an internet connection to work. (and the ability to fly anywhere in the country on a moment's notice). I don't need to go into an office for that. And the 19 years I spent dragging myself into an office didn't make me any better for having suffered through it. 17 years office-free and never looking back. More productive and better paid, too.

Pedestrian Jun 18, 2021 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriandrade (Post 9315824)
I imagine some people enjoy. There is this recent trend in western societies to self glorify introverts. Not wrong of being an introvert, I’m more close to it than to extroverts, but I don’t think it’s something you should cherish, specially in our extremely individualistic and self serving culture.

You add remote working on that mix, boom, you have a dystopia.

I don't think it's being an introvert. I think it's hating the commute and being able to set your own schedule (want to set your work hours at midnight to 8 AM . . .fine if you're at home).

Pedestrian Jun 18, 2021 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9315946)

I haven't seen evidence of that (more and more). What I see is companies that possibly thought they would let a lot of people work at home and save money leasing real estate having second thoughts. For one thing, a lot of the real estate is going unleased (because so many companies had the same idea) and while individual workers may be quite productive at home, the synergy of people working together and exchanging ideas isn't there.

sopas ej Jun 18, 2021 10:24 PM

I was just handed a memo from my boss at work. It's now official; we're following new Los Angeles County Health Department Guidelines, effective today, at my company's office:

1) Face coverings outdoors - No longer needed regardless of vaccination status.

2) Face coverings indoors - Fully vaccinated employees no longer need to wear face coverings indoors; however, partially vaccinated or non-vaccinated individuals must wear face coverings at all times except when in a closed office.

3) Face coverings inside a company vehicle - Fully vaccinated employees no longer need to wear face coverings in a company vehicle but partially vaccinated or non-vaccinated individuals must wear face coverings at all times.

4) Social distancing is no longer in effect (indoor or outdoor).

5) Lunch rooms - There are no longer restrictions on the number of employees allowed in lunch rooms.

Employees who are not fully vaccinated, or who do not furnish us a COVID-19 vaccination card, will be required to wear face coverings.

Good. There are a few Trumpers here who refuse to get vaccinated.

Pedestrian Jun 18, 2021 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 9315607)
American productivity is pretty similar to other developed countries. The U.S. is literally smack dab in the middle of productivity when it comes to OECD-tracked nations.

Doesn't look "in the middle" to me. Looks well above average:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...055077/enhance
https://data.oecd.org/lprdty/labour-...ndicator-chart

Pedestrian Jun 18, 2021 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 9316044)
I was just handed a memo from my boss at work. It's now official; we're following new Los Angeles County Health Department Guidelines, effective today, at my company's office:

2) Face coverings indoors - Fully vaccinated employees no longer need to wear face coverings indoors; however, partially vaccinated or non-vaccinated individuals must wear face coverings at all times except when in a closed office.

3) Face coverings inside a company vehicle - Fully vaccinated employees no longer need to wear face coverings in a company vehicle but partially vaccinated or non-vaccinated individuals must wear face coverings at all times.

Good. There are a few Trumpers here who refuse to get vaccinated.

So here's what I want to know. Let's say somebody who isn't vaccinated lies about it, doesn't wear a mask and otherwise behaves as if they were vaccinated. And let's say somebody else in the office gets covid.

Do they have grounds to sue the person who lied? The company? Will the company fire the liar? Are they requiring any proof (and does that change their possible liability)?

sopas ej Jun 18, 2021 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9316054)
So here's what I want to know. Let's say somebody who isn't vaccinated lies about it, doesn't wear a mask and otherwise behaves as if they were vaccinated. And let's say somebody else in the office gets covid.

Do they have grounds to sue the person who lied? The company? Will the company fire the liar? Are they requiring any proof (and does that change their possible liability)?

At my company, we've all been asked to submit copies of our vaccination cards to put in our medical files. Many have complied. Some still haven't submitted their cards, and I know of 2 people who have outright refused to get vaccinated.

eixample Jun 19, 2021 1:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9315588)
If bosses were happy about people working from home, we wouldn’t be reading articles about companies calling people back into their offices.

So….you’re not convincing me of anything when you spin your story about how “hard working” you are at home. I’ve been around the block a bit too many times

I think it's a question of lack of control. Bosses have the perception that their cracking of the whip or.patting of the back or glowering or cracking inappropriate jokes or whatever it is they were doing is what was driving productivity previously when it probably wasn't. It doesn't make their jobs as important if the work happens largely on its own. So they create a story in their heads that everyone at home is slacking because they don't have a boss looking over their shoulder. At least this is what I think has been happening at my workplace.

JManc Jun 19, 2021 2:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9316039)
I haven't seen evidence of that (more and more). What I see is companies that possibly thought they would let a lot of people work at home and save money leasing real estate having second thoughts. For one thing, a lot of the real estate is going unleased (because so many companies had the same idea) and while individual workers may be quite productive at home, the synergy of people working together and exchanging ideas isn't there.

As I said, I'm job hunting. Half the jobs I encounter are remote and yes, companies are turning to remote work to open up talent pool, save on rent and given to demand. More stodgy traditional companies (like my wife's) are opposed to WFH and brought everyone back in the office last summer. A lot of newer companies with younger workers are shifting to WFH.

twister244 Jun 19, 2021 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9316039)

Well, Facebook did just announce last week they are letting folks work remotely long-term if they want.

I do think there are several jobs that require people to be in the "office" around their colleagues. But.... I also think the definition of "office" may change in the future too. Maybe companies give their employees WeWork access memberships to come in and collaborate at a location of their choosing only when they need.

Or maybe some people will want that anchored company office and come in five days a way.

Or maybe some people will do a "hub and spoke" model where they use office locations spread across the world as a means to be a digital nomad.

The point is people have so many choices now, and there isn't a binary choice anymore between going in five days a week (with the occasional WFH day) and people who are freelancers that work remotely indefinitely. It's a whole new world that ultimately I think benefits everyone in a net positive.

I do see some people coming back to the office, but not all, and certainly not everyone is going to come back five days a week. As I have said before, it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out over the coming weeks/months/years. It's so awesome to have these choices though.

pip Jun 19, 2021 2:36 AM

how did i get a double post lol

pip Jun 19, 2021 2:37 AM

Where I work we will be returning to the office eventually but the remote policy is going to be much more generous than pre covid. Pre covid was 2 days a week remote, post will be more time remote than in the office. I love remote!

sopas ej Jun 19, 2021 3:21 AM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d22858da_c.jpg

10023 Jun 19, 2021 8:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 9315659)
Personally though I found WFH terrible and unproductive, but 90% of this is because my kids were also doing school from home, and - despite my wife saying she'd split covering my son's school time equally with me - I ended up doing the lion's share of online schooling with him due to her having a more busy meeting schedule.

This is really the main negative of WFH. It works fine when you can still send the kids somewhere for the day, and probably better yet if you and your partner aren’t both working from home in an apartment at the same time.

But to those that say people will miss the human interaction - there are places outside of home I can work from and have human interaction that I vastly prefer to my latest office. Part of that comes down to my latest firm’s culture being absolutely terrible, of course.

Yuri Jun 19, 2021 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 9316260)

And no nightclubs, no bars, no restaurants? Like living in a prison, except you have to pay the bills.

Pedestrian Jun 19, 2021 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9316197)
Well, Facebook did just announce last week they are letting folks work remotely long-term if they want.

They announced that some time ago and since then Google and Apple have pushed in the other direction. You know . . . those stodgy old companies.

Quixote Jun 19, 2021 5:47 PM

Was in the Arts District last Sunday (two days before the official statewide reopening), and it was absolutely hopping. Tons of people (and a diverse crowd to boot) dining, visiting the Hauser Wirth, shopping, and snapping photos for Instagram. I had never seen the AD that vibrant before, but then again I hadn’t gone there in ages.

Camelback Jun 19, 2021 7:33 PM

Why is the border still closed between America and Canada?

I just heard the closure was extended another 30 days out.

Kngkyle Jun 19, 2021 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9316674)
Why is the border still closed between America and Canada?

I just heard the closure was extended another 30 days out.

Because it's still April 2020 in Ontario.