SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Penn Medicine New Patient Pavilion | 343 FT | 17 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217675)

1487 Nov 30, 2016 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartphilly (Post 7637541)
I'm curious why there is no fanfare or announcement of this billion dollar project. Also, project is not listed on Foster+Partners website.

it tells you in the article there will be a groundbreaking soon. Thats likely when you will see media coverage.

Philly Fan Nov 30, 2016 9:43 PM

Curbed Philly's take:

Foster+Partners’ ‘overwhelming’ Penn Patient Pavilion clears Civic Design Review--The committee had some critiques

City Wide Dec 1, 2016 2:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 7637565)
I'm sure you're being sarcastic or ironic, but the real answer to the question is no, the whole perelman complex is maxed out in terms of allowable square footage for zoning.

Zoning! since when did Penn care about zoning? One quick phone call to J. Blackwell, may she live forever, and no more zoning problem. My question is if the monster known as Perelman was designed and engineered for a third, and hopefully final, wing?

skyscraper Dec 1, 2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by City Wide (Post 7638306)
Zoning! since when did Penn care about zoning? One quick phone call to J. Blackwell, may she live forever, and no more zoning problem. My question is if the monster known as Perelman was designed and engineered for a third, and hopefully final, wing?

It was designed to have a third wing, a tower on the east side, but due to the zoning restrictions it was nixed.
Penn does care about zoning, and it would take much more than one call to Blackwell to get past it.

City Wide Dec 1, 2016 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 7638592)
It was designed to have a third wing, a tower on the east side, but due to the zoning restrictions it was nixed.
Penn does care about zoning, and it would take much more than one call to Blackwell to get past it.

Ok, it would take more then one call, but if Penn/HUP wanted to build the tower that you mentioned, and after Blackwell introduced a zoning bill into City council giving Penn the zoning they wanted, who else on council would oppose such a bill?

BTW, when you say tower, do you mean something along the same height as the rest of the Perelman monster, or something more like a true tower?

skyscraper Dec 2, 2016 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by City Wide (Post 7639311)
Ok, it would take more then one call, but if Penn/HUP wanted to build the tower that you mentioned, and after Blackwell introduced a zoning bill into City council giving Penn the zoning they wanted, who else on council would oppose such a bill?

BTW, when you say tower, do you mean something along the same height as the rest of the Perelman monster, or something more like a true tower?

getting zoning variances is more complicated than that and I think you know that. you have to have hearings, the community gets involved, etc. city council and the ZBA can't just wave their magic wands, we have due process.
the east tower would have been on par with the smilow and south towers.

City Wide Dec 3, 2016 1:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 7639757)
getting zoning variances is more complicated than that and I think you know that. you have to have hearings, the community gets involved, etc. city council and the ZBA can't just wave their magic wands, we have due process.
the east tower would have been on par with the smilow and south towers.

I have never known Penn to get a variance, but who knows. I wouldn't expect them to just for the reasons you mentioned. But a zoning change done by law is a completely different beast, in many ways much easier for Penn then to attempt a variance.
But in any case, I would put out the idea that Penn/HUP could in the future consider building onto Perelman, if it was originally built with that as a possibility, present zoning be damned.

My question some time ago was wondering if this new building is being designed with any room to expand (upward?) and I guess at this point no one on this outlet knows. I would imagine that for every patient room a hospital needs to have "X" number of sq. footage of support space, such as labs, laundry, food service, etc. I could see that it might be relatively "easy" in the future to add another 2 or 3 floors of patient rooms as they would just go on top of existing patient floors, but unless there were plans in place right from the start to handle such a increase in beds, I don't know where the support space would go.
I need a spy of the inside. Any takers?

BTW, I can't believe that these 500+ patient beds are in addition to the existing 500+ beds that HUP presently has. Just think of where those patients would be coming from, and more to the point, where would the doctors come from. And I'm almost 100% sure that the State Department of Health controls the number of beds (too many and we all pay, but we already pay anyways!).

hawainpanda Dec 3, 2016 9:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by City Wide (Post 7640589)
I have never known Penn to get a variance, might who knows. I wouldn't expect them to just for the reasons you mentioned. But a zoning change done by law is a completely different beast, in many ways much easier for Penn then to attempt a variance.
But in any case, I would put out the idea that Penn/HUP could in the future consider building onto Perelman, if it was originally built with that as a possibility, present zoning be damned.

My question some time ago was wondering if this new building is being designed with any room to expand (upward?) and I guess at this point no one on this outlet knows. I would imagine that for every patient room a hospital needs to have "X" number of sq. footage of support space, such as labs, laundry, food service, etc. I could see that it might be relatively "easy" in the future to add another 2 or 3 floors of patient rooms as they would just go on top of existing patient floors, but unless there were plans in place right from the start to handle such a increase in beds, I don't know where the support space would go.
I need a spy of the inside. Any takers?

BTW, I can't believe that these 500+ patient beds are in addition to the existing 500+ beds that HUP presently has. Just think of where those patients would be coming from, and more to the point, where would the doctors come from. And I'm almost 100% sure that the State Department of Health controls the number of beds (too many and we all pay, but we already pay anyways!).

For your third questions, many if not MOST of the beds will be replacing beds in the older facilities. Many rooms at HUPs sitll have two patient beds in a room which is quickly disappearing at large academic hospitals. Also HUP is already at max capacity. While many community hospitals are operating at low occupancy or even closing due to low occupancy, academic centers are quickly filling up the need for inpatient beds. As for the staff, that is always dynamic, many of the departments at Penn are actively growing.

summersm343 Dec 21, 2016 1:59 AM

12/20/2016

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...4d&oe=58B02BC8

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f0&oe=58F54BFF

christof Dec 21, 2016 1:36 PM

Is this as deep as they are going to dig?

GarCastle Dec 24, 2016 5:13 PM

I haven't heard an update in a few months, but there may be 5xx beds or whatever works out monetarily. In general Penn Medicine fashion, the "core + shell" is one thing and what they then fill in is another. So if everything works out based on all sorts of calculations and projections that say 583 beds is the number, then that may mean say 15 floors but they may still construct say 20 floors to build "in" the remaining floors later.

They want the rooms to be convenient for change later as patient care evolves so that the floors don't have to be shut down years from now for more specialized care. While that is great planning, it will add significant cost per floor that is build "in".

Licensed beds are not really a concern, it's more of a license/tax fee thing than meant to block or govern growth. As several have pointed out most of the rooms will be to replace older two-patient rooms. Then those older rooms can be renovated, converted to offices, given to the university, whatever as needed. When I do presentations for work, I have to check each time what each hospitals "bed count" is because it changes quite often. In the presentations it is more of a brag right (for our size) than anything else.

By the time the money and need was on hand to in-fill/build-out more floors, the license bed fees would be the least of the concern (cost and time wise).

Capacity of patients is not a simple license bed count, it's also a function of how quickly you can get patients out of the beds, how long you keep them in the operative/post-operative areas, how quickly you can clean a room, and so on. You can always put a patient on a cot in a hall if you had to LOL.

Cheers,
G.

summersm343 Jan 14, 2017 5:03 AM

1/13/2017

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ed&oe=5921E6D0

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2b&oe=59207604

Urbanthusiat Jan 20, 2017 3:11 AM

I bet there are some nice details in here that someone who gets past the paywall can see.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...work-on-a.html

New2Fishtown Jan 20, 2017 2:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat (Post 7684017)
I bet there are some nice details in here that someone who gets past the paywall can see.

There aren't. It actually goes so far as to say that they don't quite know what the building will look like yet. Funny thing to say for a project that's already been through CDR.

Milksteak Jan 20, 2017 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New2Fishtown (Post 7684347)
There aren't. It actually goes so far as to say that they don't quite know what the building will look like yet. Funny thing to say for a project that's already been through CDR.

$1.5 billion is a crazy amount of money, that's the same cost of the Comcast Technology Center. I'm well aware it's what's inside that counts on this, I just hope the great stuff going on inside can be reflected on the outside as well.

summersm343 Jan 20, 2017 5:01 PM

PBJ Article:

Quote:

While plans are still being finalized, Penn Medicine is getting ready to start work on a major addition to its hospital complex in West Philadelphia with the addition of a $1.5 billion patient pavilion that will house about 500 private patient rooms, 50 operating rooms and a new emergency department at the site of the former Penn Tower.

Why it’s transformational: Exactly what the structure will look like is unknown. “The final design of the building is still being fine-tuned,” said Susan Phillips, Penn Medicine’s senior vice president for public affairs. The project will dramatically expand the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania’s bed count and give the tertiary care center the ability to offer patients private rooms at time when the focus on customer satisfaction is at an all-time high in health care. The health system has tentatively set a ground-breaking for the project for early May.

City Wide Jan 20, 2017 8:06 PM

bed count

"The project will dramatically expand the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania’s bed count"

I guess that answers the question; its not just a replacement of existing beds (rooms) but an actual increase.

Now, if I could just get them to add a few more floors------------------------

christof Jan 21, 2017 8:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7684489)

So groundbreaking will occur some time during the week leading to Alumni Weekend or in the immediate days after commencement.

summersm343 Feb 24, 2017 6:09 AM

2/23/2017

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...9b&oe=592F278C

christof Feb 24, 2017 12:39 PM

Wow, they really are right up to the Penn Museum...