SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Who is building the most in North America? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247297)

Marshal Jun 28, 2021 10:46 PM

One.
There is a longstanding thread of thought concerning Toronto's identity and 'US Americanism.' Regardless of this, Torontonians do not consider themselves, nor wish to be Americans. At best, they like the idea that they somehow possess the American (really the New York) spirit .

Two.
No Canadians refer to themselves in any way as "Americans." At best, they will use "North American" in a technical/geographic sense. wwmiv's post regarding this is pure fiction.

mhays Jun 28, 2021 11:00 PM

If you're referring to his post on Page 5, it doesn't suggest otherwise. Just that "America" has a bunch of meanings, some of which he outlines.

Doady Jun 28, 2021 11:25 PM

I think it would be most correct to refer to people of the US as "United States Americans" or "US Americans". Actual "American" is more analogous to "Asian" or "European", e.g. "Native American". And yes, people in Canada, including Toronto, do often refer to indigenous people as "Native Americans".

wwmiv Jun 29, 2021 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 9325466)
If you're referring to his post on Page 5, it doesn't suggest otherwise. Just that "America" has a bunch of meanings, some of which he outlines.

Thank you. Many people use American in many different ways. Perhaps I did not say it explicitly enough, but referring to yourself as “North American” is part and parcel consistent with the spirit and motivation of my post; it is one of those varieties of the usage of the word “American.”

Shrugs.

Acajack Jun 29, 2021 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doady (Post 9325507)
I think it would be most correct to refer to people of the US as "United States Americans" or "US Americans". Actual "American" is more analogous to "Asian" or "European", e.g. "Native American". And yes, people in Canada, including Toronto, do often refer to indigenous people as "Native Americans".

Equivalent words for this already exist in Spanish (Estadounidense) and French (Étatsunien).

Acajack Jun 29, 2021 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doady (Post 9325507)
And yes, people in Canada, including Toronto, do often refer to indigenous people as "Native Americans".

I know, but that's just Americanization from media and pop culture, though.

Referring to Indigenous people in Canada as "Native Americans" actually makes no sense.

iheartthed Jun 29, 2021 1:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9325568)
I know, but that's just Americanization from media and pop culture, though.

Referring to Indigenous people in Canada as "Native Americans" actually makes no sense.

At least they don't call them indians (or do they?).

Acajack Jun 29, 2021 2:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9325633)
At least they don't call them indians (or do they?).

Not really, although...

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-5/

shappy Jun 29, 2021 3:39 AM

Ok, Torontonians don't want to be part of the US - this isn't a thing. But, in my opinion, they do want recognition through US media, movies, sports, etc.

Rob Ford was a pretty terrible mayor... way in over his head, clearly plagued by mental health issues, addiction, etc. But you can't tell me we didn't get a kick out of hearing "Toronto" being constantly mentioned by Kimmel and others. This is a pretty fucking awesome city, easily top 5-10 in NA and until only a few years ago, was barely mentioned at all. Even London loves being stroked by the US media machine. Anyway, tired ridiculous argument and a lot of pretty dumb comments above.

Steely Dan Jun 29, 2021 3:49 AM

"please, please, please acknowledge and love us for how awesome and wonderful we are!

But don't you ever fucking dare think that we're somehow part of your awful and wicked society!"


:D

shappy Jun 29, 2021 4:03 AM

Haha, you got it!

(Ah no, I think it's more that we just don't want to sit at the kids table anymore).

Steely Dan Jun 29, 2021 4:16 AM

^ speaking as an American, from our perspective, Canada will always be the kids table, for better or worse.

You don't become the most navel-gazing society in the history of our species by recognizing things beyond your borders.

kool maudit Jun 29, 2021 6:26 AM

https://i.imgur.com/jYEYsdf.gif

Centropolis Jun 29, 2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9325726)
^ speaking as an American, from our perspective, Canada will always be the kids table, for better or worse.

You don't become the most navel-gazing society in the history of our species by recognizing things beyond your borders.

cancun

Acajack Jun 29, 2021 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centropolis (Post 9325861)
cancun

:haha:

Even so, the Cancun Americans engage with in 99% is basically just a transposition of US culture onto Mexican soil.

Similarly, Paris is quite popular with Americans as well (for different reasons) but an American's Paris isn't the same as a French person's Paris.

The real Paris isn't French Kiss, Midnight in Paris or Emily in Paris, or even Gershwin's "An American in Paris".

I am not saying this to bash on Americans exclusively BTW, as all nationalities do this to some degree. (You don't want to hear me on Québécois in Cuba or the Dominican Republic.) But the level of visitor immersion in local culture does vary, and Americans tend to be on the "low immersion" side.

Steely Dan Jun 29, 2021 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9326021)
Even so, the Cancun Americans engage with in 99% is basically just a transposition of US culture onto Mexican soil.

pretty much.

cancun is just a florida beach resort with better tacos.

iheartthed Jun 29, 2021 3:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9326021)
:haha:

Even so, the Cancun Americans engage with in 99% is basically just a transposition of US culture onto Mexican soil.

Similarly, Paris is quite popular with Americans as well (for different reasons) but an American's Paris isn't the same as a French person's Paris.

The real Paris isn't French Kiss, Midnight in Paris or Emily in Paris, or even Gershwin's "An American in Paris".

I am not saying this to bash on Americans exclusively BTW, as all nationalities do this to some degree. (You don't want to hear me on Québécois in Cuba or the Dominican Republic.) But the level of visitor immersion in local culture does vary, and Americans tend to be on the "low immersion" side.

This is accurate. And I actually hate traveling with those types of people.

3rd&Brown Jun 29, 2021 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9325568)
I know, but that's just Americanization from media and pop culture, though.

Referring to Indigenous people in Canada as "Native Americans" actually makes no sense.

Why not? In South America, students are taught that North and South America are one continent simply called America.

Culturally, they think of themselves as new world (largely immigrant populations account for much of South America's populace in the same was as they do in North America).

It's actually very insulting to tell someone in Argentina, Chile, or Brazil that you're "American". If you do so, they'll very often say something like, "yo tambien". i.e. "Me too".

So through that lense, you could make the argument calling someone "Native American" is to merely differentiate between indigenous people and immigrants, generically, across the continent.

Acajack Jun 29, 2021 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown (Post 9326222)
Why not? In South America, students are taught that North and South America are one continent simply called America.

Culturally, they think of themselves as new world (largely immigrant populations account for much of South America's populace in the same was as they do in North America).

It's actually very insulting to tell someone in Argentina, Chile, or Brazil that you're "American". If you do so, they'll very often say something like, "yo tambien". i.e. "Me too".

So through that lense, you could make the argument calling someone "Native American" is to merely differentiate between indigenous people and immigrants, generically, across the continent.

Yeah, I know that.

My issue isn't so much with the use of the word "American", but rather the term "Native American" which is a US-invented term to describe Indigenous people in that country. Like most terms invented to describe these people, it's an awkward kludge at best. The Canadian-invented terms or terms used in other languages like Spanish, French or Portuguese aren't necessarily any less awkward, but at least they are rooted in the reality and history of their countries.

When I hear a Canadian say that such and such a person is "Native American" from the Tsawwassen reserve in BC or the Saugeen reserve in Ontario, my first thought is always that the speaker has been watching too much American TV.

Camelback Jun 29, 2021 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9321699)
Who is building the most?

Easy check: which city gained the most in population over X amount of years.

Top 15 metros, ranked by population. The percentage is the population change from 2010 to 2020.

New York City -- +1.20%
Los Angeles -- +2.19%
Chicago -- −0.58%
Dallas -- +20.85%
Houston -- +20.84%
Washington -- +11.95%
Miami -- +10.93%
Philadelphia -- +2.39%
Atlanta -- +15.15%
Phoenix -- +20.68%
Boston -- +7.16%
San Francisco -- +8.34%
Riverside -- +10.73%
Detroit -- +0.18%
Seattle -- +16.83%

Red = Under 2% growth
Magenta = 2% - 9.99% growth
Blue = 10% - 19.99%
Green = 20%+

The high growth metros are "building the most".


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.