SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   FiFA World Cup 2026 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257864)

DFW Jan 31, 2024 9:21 PM

FiFA World Cup 2026

At 2 p.m. central time Sunday February 4, FIFA will announce who will host the World Cup Finals.
Who do you think will host the World Cup finals?

I predict, AT&T Stadium home of the Dallas Cowboys in Arlington will host the World Cup Finals.

Londonee Feb 1, 2024 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFW (Post 10133004)
At 2 p.m. central time Sunday February 4, FIFA will announce who will host the World Cup Finals.

I predict, AT&T Stadium home of the Dallas Cowboys in Arlington will host the World Cup Finals.

Is there public transportation to the stadium?

bilbao58 Feb 1, 2024 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Londonee (Post 10133516)
Is there public transportation to the stadium?

"Arlington, Texas has the dubious distinction of being the largest city in the nation with no fixed-route public transit system."

https://www.planetizen.com/news/2023...ansit%20system.

Steely Dan Feb 1, 2024 3:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilbao58 (Post 10133541)
"Arlington, Texas has the dubious distinction of being the largest city in the nation with no fixed-route public transit system."

No worries, Google maps says it's only a 3.25 hour walk from the Centreport commuter rail station to AT&T stadium through an incredibly pedestrian-hostile sprawl-burban hellscape.

bilbao58 Feb 1, 2024 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 10133549)
No worries, Google maps says it's only a 3.25 hour walk from the Centreport commuter rail station to AT&T stadium through an incredibly pedestrian-hostile sprawl-burban hellscape.

:haha:

badrunner Feb 1, 2024 3:33 PM

SoFi doesn't have transit to the stadium either. Metlife has transit, but it's an even more suburban location than SoFi and AT&T. But none of that will be a factor. It'll be whoever came up with the biggest bribe to FIFA officials. :shrug:

iheartthed Feb 1, 2024 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badrunner (Post 10133556)
SoFi doesn't have transit to the stadium either. Metlife has transit, but it's an even more suburban location than SoFi and AT&T. But none of that will be a factor.

Most of the attendees will almost certainly be from overseas and need to rely on public transit to reach the stadium. MetLife can easily fill and clear the stadium with its transit infrastructure. I'm sure they'll have shuttle buses set up if it goes to SoFi or AT&T, but that's something they wouldn't even have to worry about at MetLife.

SteveD Feb 1, 2024 3:51 PM

I thought Dallas (Arlington) had already been selected. Not sure why I thought that. Do you know if they will also be naming hosts for quarters or semis or whatever they call the matches leading up to the final? I think Atlanta has a shot at some of those.

iheartthed Feb 1, 2024 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 10133581)
I thought Dallas (Arlington) had already been selected. Not sure why I thought that. Do you know if they will also be naming hosts for quarters or semis or whatever they call the matches leading up to the final? I think Atlanta has a shot at some of those.

Someone leaked last week that AT&T Stadium had already been selected by FIFA. Dallas media is treating it as a forgone conclusion that the final will be there.

mousquet Feb 1, 2024 3:59 PM

I don't care the stadium. It may be lost in Alaska, I swear my French team will be there to beat up your ass.
And I want revenge on Argentina, huh. They are little sluts. We're going to align 11 hungry savages to smash them.
:D

UrbanImpact Feb 1, 2024 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFW (Post 10133004)

Probably between New Jersey, LA, and Mexico City.

thoughtcriminal Feb 1, 2024 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanImpact (Post 10133642)

FIFA has said that the final will be in the US. They had narrowed it down to NJ and Dallas as the finalists.
That said, it will be in Dallas, unfortunately. Not quite as hot and miserable as Qatar, but close enough.

bilbao58 Feb 1, 2024 5:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanImpact (Post 10133642)

Some say Arlington is already a done deal:

"HISTORY MAKING World Cup final venue revealed with never-seen-before element for showpiece after beating rival stadiums
The final will be held in a surprise city"

"THE 2026 World Cup final is now set to be played indoors — after Fifa chiefs agreed Dallas’ AT&T Stadium will host the biggest game in football."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/25400...venue-stadium/

craigs Feb 1, 2024 8:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badrunner (Post 10133556)
SoFi doesn't have transit to the stadium either. Metlife has transit, but it's an even more suburban location than SoFi and AT&T. But none of that will be a factor. It'll be whoever came up with the biggest bribe to FIFA officials. :shrug:

Metro runs shuttles between the C Line and SoFi stadium on game days. I'm sure they would do that for FiFA as well, if it were held there. But it won't be. The stadium owner and local committee don't want to pay all of the costs and FiFA didn't like that.

bigstick Feb 2, 2024 11:56 AM

It should have been at Mercedes-Atlanta.

IluvATX Feb 2, 2024 3:55 PM

Because I’m too lazy to look it up, which cities are contenders to host?

UrbanImpact Feb 2, 2024 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IluvATX (Post 10134449)
Because I’m too lazy to look it up, which cities are contenders to host?

They've been selected already, no more contending.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-ap...S53I.jpg&w=916

iheartthed Feb 2, 2024 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanImpact (Post 10134465)
They've been selected already, no more contending.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-ap...S53I.jpg&w=916

Kinda weird that the Midwest is the only region where none of the largest cities are hosting.

Steely Dan Feb 2, 2024 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 10134488)
Kinda weird that the Midwest is the only region where none of the largest cities are hosting.

Can't speak for Detroit or Minneapolis, but Chicago declined to even offer a bid to host because the city didn't like FIFA's rules about how the host city pays for everything.

twister244 Feb 2, 2024 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 10134491)
Can't speak for Detroit or Minneapolis, but Chicago declined to even offer a bid to host because the city didn't like FIFA's rules about how the host city pays for everything.

One of the better decisions the city made in the recent past......