SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 851 FT & 765 FT | 73 & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

LouisVanDerWright Jul 26, 2016 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 7513463)
So this proposal wasn't real?

It's actually almost 50% complete now, didn't you notice the huge 20 story beams they were hoisting over LSD a couple of weeks ago?

harryc Jul 27, 2016 1:11 AM

July 11

Busy Bee Jul 27, 2016 4:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7513532)
It's actually almost 50% complete now, didn't you notice the huge 20 story beams they were hoisting over LSD a couple of weeks ago?

Well whats reality anyway? I mean Donald Trump... Donald Trump forchristsake.

ChiTownWonder Aug 2, 2016 3:33 PM

love how the gateway tower is listed as proposed on the diagrams and database :haha:

TallBob Aug 2, 2016 5:12 PM

What's the chance of this getting built?

Steely Dan Aug 2, 2016 5:13 PM

^ one in a million

LouisVanDerWright Aug 2, 2016 7:20 PM

Wait so they are finally completing the original Spire? Sweet.

Tom In Chicago Aug 2, 2016 11:48 PM

Locking this thread. . . nothing to see here. . .

. . .

Reinsdorf Sucks Oct 18, 2016 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 7595707)
Im not getting too excited yet about this tower, dont want to get my hopes up for yet another Chicago Spire situation.

Coincidentally, this tower will prevent 400 N LSD from being a supertall.

Steely Dan Oct 18, 2016 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks (Post 7596693)
Coincidentally, this tower will prevent 400 N LSD from being a supertall.

huh?

explain.

Reinsdorf Sucks Oct 18, 2016 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7596695)
huh?

explain.

I would think this project puts a nice dent in demand?

Now that this has officially broken ground, and Related Midwest hasn't finalized a design, I would imagine they're re-thinking things.

Steely Dan Oct 18, 2016 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks (Post 7596730)

it certainly could, but that is by no means a forgone conclusion.

who knows how long related is going to sit on that land for? they might just sit this entire cycle out.

until related actually releases a plan for what they propose to do with that plot, it's ALL just speculation.

there is nothing that i am aware of that would automatically prevent 400 N LSD from being a supertall.

Ryanrule Oct 18, 2016 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks (Post 7596730)

Now that this has officially broken ground, and Related Midwest hasn't finalized a design, I would imagine they're re-thinking things.

Related will not be allowed to build some crap "luxury" rental tower there.

chicagoisepic Oct 20, 2016 1:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7596734)
it certainly could, but that is by no means a forgone conclusion.

who knows how long related is going to sit on that land for? they might just sit this entire cycle out.

until related actually releases a plan for what they propose to do with that plot, it's ALL just speculation.

there is nothing that i am aware of that would automatically prevent 400 N LSD from being a supertall.

I don't remember where I read it, but if I remember correctly Related will be revealing their preliminary plans for 400 N LSD and the huge field south of Riverline in early 2017.

sentinel Oct 21, 2016 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcp (Post 7599255)
Related is not an egomaniac kind of developer.... expect high quality and good design, but it won't get sucked into a height competition unless it pencils out the best...which I'd doubt.

There was recently a news blurb about Related hiring a senior partner from SOM (?) who has experience working on supertall projects, and will oversee design/coordination with both the Spire site and the massive site south of Roosevelt. I think they'll looking for both quality design AND something pretty tall, for the Spire site...especially considering that the existing foundation was completed, and can support a pretty tall high-rise.

I can't find that article, I think it was from Crain's...help?

Skyguy_7 Oct 21, 2016 4:36 PM

^Ask and you shall receive, sir

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...uth-loop-sites

sentinel Oct 21, 2016 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 7599979)

That's it, thank you!

LouisVanDerWright Oct 21, 2016 6:38 PM

The value of the foundation work on this site is probably more than the land value, maybe two or three times it. As much as I think Related Midwest are a bunch of pansies, I also think they are shrewd businessmen and know that 25% of a very large and tall building is already in the mud. They are going to max the far out on this site whether it's via a 1200, 1500 or 2000' building.

Id love to see them grow some balls and make a real statement here, but that's probably too much to ask. Maybe Stephan Ross is getting blue balls not being able to go as tall as he wants in NIMBY York City and will use this site as an outlet for his ego.

intrepidDesign Oct 21, 2016 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7600139)
The value of the foundation work on this site is probably more than the land value, maybe two or three times it. As much as I think Related Midwest are a bunch of pansies, I also think they are shrewd businessmen and know that 25% of a very large and tall building is already in the mud. They are going to max the far out on this site whether it's via a 1200, 1500 or 2000' building.

Id love to see them grow some balls and make a real statement here, but that's probably too much to ask. Maybe Stephan Ross is getting blue balls not being able to go as tall as he wants in NIMBY York City and will use this site as an outlet for his ego.

If that was the case why didn't they finish going supertall at 111 W Wacker? Not only was the foundation in place, but 1/4 of the building was out of the mud. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath for something earth shattering here.

sentinel Oct 21, 2016 8:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intrepidDesign (Post 7600232)
If that was the case why didn't they finish going supertall at 111 W Wacker? Not only was the foundation in place, but 1/4 of the building was out of the mud. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath for something earth shattering here.

Very different economic times though, which can be easy to forget (possibly deliberately, as I'm sure no ones wants to remember that time in history..)

Personally, I would be very happy with a beautifully designed 1,300 - 1,500', mixed-use megatall.