SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174131)

newflyer Oct 2, 2009 6:46 AM

Winnipeg Retail

As the retail scene in Winnipeg is rapidly evolving with many new highend retailers moving to our city I thought a thread dedicated to such news is warranted.

newflyer Oct 2, 2009 6:48 AM

H & M Coming To Winnipeg

Another sign retail is about to pick up. Clothing chain H & M has plans for a Winnipeg store. It will be the Swedish company's first location between Alberta and Southern Ontario. The company is currently advertising jobs available in Winnipeg on its website, including a manager. It has 18-hundred stores worldwide, in 33 countries.

source: CJOB

newflyer Oct 2, 2009 6:51 AM

Asper Granted 12 Month Extension

A new home for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers is still on track. David Asper, the man who plans to build a new stadium at the University of Manitoba Thursday announced he's been granted a 12-month extension by the Winnipeg Football Club to allow progress to continue on a new CFL stadium and companion retail development at Polo Park. Asper remains as confident as ever he can make it happen. The extension agreed to by all stakeholders follows the signing of letters of intent with two major U.S. retailers interested in anchoring what Asper is called The Elms Collection, a 650-thousand square foot upscale shopping destination to be constructed on the site of the current stadium. Once complete, the Elms will serve as the new stadium's economic engine to ensure the project is primarily paid for by the private sector and not taxpayers. Ken Hildahl, the Chair of the Board of Directors of the Blue Bombers said the organization remains behind Asper's plan, and dedicated to construction of a new stadium at the University of Manitoba. Asper says next steps will focus on finalizing lease arrangements with those two U.S. anchor tenants, and then launching an extensive marketing campaign to attract the supporting junior anchor and boutique retailers. He hopes the stadium can be completed by 2012.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9742/theelms.jpg

newflyer Oct 2, 2009 6:55 AM

For those wondering where the downtown retail news was ... I found one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fight At Portage Place

Eyewitnesses say a fight over a cell phone may have prompted an incident just before 11 o'clock Thursday morning at Centre Court at Portage Place. One person had a pipe, another a knife. The fight was broken up quickly by security. Police were also called.

newflyer Oct 2, 2009 7:08 AM

Finally Winnipeg will establish itself within the high end retail market. A little bling in River City will be very nice.

I will be more than glad to see Winnipeg ditch its discount town image once and for all. No longer will people have to goto Minniapolis or Toronto to shop at some highend stores. Winnipeg is entering a new level of retail. :yes:

Jeff Oct 2, 2009 7:27 AM

now all we need is a zara and we're set!

pegcity Oct 2, 2009 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 4485736)
now all we need is a zara and we're set!

I was at a Zara location in Vegas in July, best mens store ever! best jackets!

Pegger5 Oct 6, 2009 2:54 AM

I would like to see a Crate & Barrel and Williams Sonoma in Winnipeg

They have them in Calgary now..

Winnipegger@Heart Oct 6, 2009 4:20 AM

Restoration Hardware, too...

The Jabroni Oct 6, 2009 5:06 AM

At this rate, with attracting high-end retailers, we might end up having Jaguar, Bentley, and Maserati setting up shop here soon! :P

SpongeG Oct 6, 2009 5:19 AM

do they have Forever 21 yet in Winnipeg?

thats the newest "it" label in Canada - they are expanding like crazy with really big 20,000+ sq ft stores across the states...

its basically the US's version of H&M - fast cheap trendy fashion - the store in downtown san fran is 3 levels and has a decent selection of mens stuff

Jeff Oct 6, 2009 5:35 AM

all my girlfriends are COMPLETELY obsessed with forever 21.. so if it came here, i'm sure it would make a killing - death to sirens! other than that, what would one think of a h&m branch into osborne to compliment american apparel someday? i can see osborne accomodating a boutique hotel and more destination retail...

Kinguni Oct 6, 2009 3:00 PM

My daughter (who works in a store in Polo Park) says that Forever 21 is definitely opening in Polo Park this year. She's excited because she orders a lot of stuff from them online right now.

wags_in_the_peg Oct 6, 2009 5:12 PM

for those that care Urban Barn is about to open another location in Polo Park area. on Ellice bw McD's and Robinson Lighting

Biff Oct 6, 2009 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg (Post 4492321)
for those that care Urban Barn is about to open another location in Polo Park area. on Ellice bw McD's and Robinson Lighting

the unfortunate part of this location is that they closed their location in Osborne Village and relocated there.

wags_in_the_peg Oct 6, 2009 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 4492522)
the unfortunate part of this location is that they closed their location in Osborne Village and relocated there.

ohhh that is not good, i assumed it was another location

SpongeG Oct 7, 2009 11:46 PM

how is the IKEA coming along? is under construction now?

The Jabroni Oct 7, 2009 11:52 PM

I don't know if anyone know this, but there is a new Asian supermarket called T&T Supermarket, being built near the corner of Notre Dame and McPhillips. I don't know when it's going to be open, but by the looks of the store, it looks like construction is just about finished, and set to be open very soon.

It's apparently a high-end type supermarket, similar to a Sobey's, Safeway, or Superstore.

I've been in the ones out west in Calgary and Edmonton, and they're very clean in there, very much like any other supermarket.

pegcity Oct 8, 2009 2:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Jabroni (Post 4494907)
I don't know if anyone know this, but there is a new Asian supermarket called T&T Supermarket, being built near the corner of Notre Dame and McPhillips. I don't know when it's going to be open, but by the looks of the store, it looks like construction is just about finished, and set to be open very soon.

It's apparently a high-end type supermarket, similar to a Sobey's, Safeway, or Superstore.

I've been in the ones out west in Calgary and Edmonton, and they're very clean in there, very much like any other supermarket.

Never knew about this, are you sure?, where exactly is it located? landmarks, business's close by?

jmt18325 Oct 8, 2009 2:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Jabroni (Post 4491622)
At this rate, with attracting high-end retailers, we might end up having Jaguar, Bentley, and Maserati setting up shop here soon! :P

We've already got a Jaguar - Land Rover store.