SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

SIGSEGV Apr 3, 2020 1:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8882765)
Our stairs are alarmed and the street access to them is locked from the outside. So using them to get into the building is impossible (intended, for security) and using them to go out would freak out the security guard who sits/stands at a lobby desk.

I've got a stylus intended for use with an iPad I've been using for credit card screens, elevator buttons . . . anything I don't want to touch.

It's ridiculous that some places haven't disabled their touchscreens still. I sometimes pay with NFC but then still have to sign the damn touchscreen.

AviationGuy Apr 3, 2020 1:47 AM

Have been finding more at the stores, but hand sanitizer doesn't seem to exist anymore. I did an online search and turned up nothing. Still have about 2 weeks of sanitizer remaining. After that, I guess it will be exclusively hand washing, which may be better anyway (but if I have to be in a store, I like to use hand sanitizer on grocery cart handles).

sopas ej Apr 3, 2020 1:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsbear (Post 8882674)
I was able to buy toilet paper today!!! Still can't find disinfecting products online or in stores.

Yesterday was a beautiful day in Los Angeles. Tons of people out in my neighborhood walking, biking, sunbathing, etc. Kind of nice to see such a high level of pedestrian traffic in the area.

Yeah, over the weekend, I felt like I saw more people walking/jogging/cycling than driving. It was almost odd seeing more people walking on the sidewalks than driving on the roads.

Regarding the disinfecting products, I suggest you look at smaller markets and/or ethnic markets and ethnic supermarkets.

It seems like people have been adapting to the stay at home orders.

I still drive to/from work; for those who have been driving, have you guys noticed more speeders because of all the light/nonexistent traffic? I've also seen some erratic/distracted driving, too. Even though California is a hands-free state when it comes to cell phone use and texting, I've been seeing more people texting while driving, with some even full on swerving in and out of lanes; I've even seen two drivers on different occasions full-on run red lights.

sopas ej Apr 3, 2020 1:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8882638)
I had planned to return to San Francisco at the end of this month but I'm staying in the Arizona desert for now. I'm afraid:

(1) To attempt the 900+ mile car trip alone with uncertain availability of things like gas enroute or help if something should breakdown out in the Mojave.

Do you have Triple A? I'm pretty sure they're still available.

Also, I really don't think gas is an issue; I don't know about the rural areas and sparsely populated desert areas of California, but at least in the cities, I have seen no gas stations in my area closed down, just drastically lower prices.

Some of those gas station in rural areas/sparsely populated desert areas along the highways, I always felt they charged more for gas anyway because they are so remote, plus it's slight price gouging for the motorists along those highways, but I'm sure even those haven't closed down, and have much reduced prices, but probably not as low as in the cities.

dave8721 Apr 3, 2020 3:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxtex (Post 8882593)
I'm pretty good actually. I've lost 10 pounds since xmas, eating pretty healthy, socially distant exercising. Most of my peers seem to be working from home and getting on with things. My parents are "marooned" in florida at the moment. They would be back up in Michigan right now. Portland seems to have chilled out too. Grocery stores are better stocked, less mega rushing the stores. Lots of restaurants are doing take out. No fkn tp though. Its the new pet rock!

I'm sure i have put on at least 5 pounds. All this working from home means sitting on my a$$ and a lot of little snacks throughout the day.

subterranean Apr 3, 2020 3:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8882959)
I'm sure i have put on at least 5 pounds. All this working from home means sitting on my a$$ and a lot of little snacks throughout the day.

This. And the day drinking.

Buckeye Native 001 Apr 3, 2020 3:08 AM

Huh. My gf and I stopped getting takeout and have been cooking at home the last few weeks. I've lost about six pounds thanks to not eating out.

mhays Apr 3, 2020 3:10 AM

I live in a highrise so the exercise thing has a solution despite the fitness room being closed. From the bottom of the parking garage to the roof deck level is 17 floors. I find 4.5 sets of those (77 levels), with elevators down takes about 25 minutes, and is probably more intense than my normal eliptical.

There's a routine to this. Elevator down to 1 (sanitizer just outside elevator door) and G4, then the 4.5 trips, and walking by the sanitizer on 1 on my way up. If I do this in the middle of the work day I might not run into anyone the whole time. (Particularly hate running into dog people, especially now.)

subterranean Apr 3, 2020 3:19 AM

Quote:

This Pandemic Is Not Your Vacation
by Anne Helen Petersen

Posted on March 31, 2020, at 3:30 p.m. ET

Source: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...al-small-towns

rsbear Apr 3, 2020 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8882904)
I still drive to/from work; for those who have been driving, have you guys noticed more speeders because of all the light/nonexistent traffic? I've also seen some erratic/distracted driving, too.

My perception is that 90 point something of drivers are driving more cautiously and being more considerate than normal. I am.

Then there are the people driving like they are trying to out run a nuclear blast. Why are they doing this? My guess is because they can - there is so little traffic on LA freeways.

The usual suspects driving with their heads up thier asses are still out there, unfortunately.

photoLith Apr 3, 2020 3:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8882874)
Does Pittsburgh have any downtown residential population? Here are there are people walking their dogs and such.

I think about 10k people, not quite sure. But people aren't out and about even if they live downtown because nothing is open and you're not really supposed to leave your apartment or house.

photoLith Apr 3, 2020 3:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8882959)

Ive put on 7lbs since Ive been working from home only 3 weeks ago. I gotta fucking stop eating and drinking so much. Luckily its about to get warmer in a couple of weeks so Ill bike again. But damn, its been so depressing lately, all I want to do is eat bread and cheese and eggs and drink tons more than usual. I just put on my size 30 shorts I wore last year and I almost broke the zipper earlier today, fuck, my man tits are now leaving a crease in my skin when I stand up after sitting for hours, not good.

chris08876 Apr 3, 2020 3:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsbear (Post 8882992)

Then there are the people driving like they are trying to out run a nuclear blast.

Is that a Far Cry 5 reference ;)

rsbear Apr 3, 2020 4:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8883004)
Is that a Far Cry 5 reference ;)

Not intentionally, as I've never heard of Far Cry 5. It was just a descriptive visual aid out of my wee little brain.:)

chris08876 Apr 3, 2020 4:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsbear (Post 8883014)
Not intentionally, as I've never heard of Far Cry 5. It was just a descriptive visual aid out of my wee little brain.:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDeuaLS5gg

But yeah, some people do drive like that on a side note. Even before Corona lol.

pdxtex Apr 3, 2020 5:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8882999)
Ive put on 7lbs since Ive been working from home only 3 weeks ago. I gotta fucking stop eating and drinking so much. Luckily its about to get warmer in a couple of weeks so Ill bike again. But damn, its been so depressing lately, all I want to do is eat bread and cheese and eggs and drink tons more than usual. I just put on my size 30 shorts I wore last year and I almost broke the zipper earlier today, fuck, my man tits are now leaving a crease in my skin when I stand up after sitting for hours, not good.

Chow down wide load! Boom badda boom..ahh man itll be alright. But yessss. For all the crap that's been sold out, there is still a fck ton of deli meat, cheese and beer. So much beer which suprises me. Forget spices tho. Every junior Betty Crocker bought all that crap.

Acajack Apr 3, 2020 6:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8882904)
Yeah, over the weekend, I felt like I saw more people walking/jogging/cycling than driving. It was almost odd seeing more people walking on the sidewalks than driving on the roads.

Regarding the disinfecting products, I suggest you look at smaller markets and/or ethnic markets and ethnic supermarkets.

It seems like people have been adapting to the stay at home orders.

I still drive to/from work; for those who have been driving, have you guys noticed more speeders because of all the light/nonexistent traffic? I've also seen some erratic/distracted driving, too. Even though California is a hands-free state when it comes to cell phone use and texting, I've been seeing more people texting while driving, with some even full on swerving in and out of lanes; I've even seen two drivers on different occasions full-on run red lights.

I have noticed more speeding and crazy driving here too.

Pedestrian Apr 3, 2020 6:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8882908)
Do you have Triple A? I'm pretty sure they're still available.

Also, I really don't think gas is an issue; I don't know about the rural areas and sparsely populated desert areas of California, but at least in the cities, I have seen no gas stations in my area closed down, just drastically lower prices.

Some of those gas station in rural areas/sparsely populated desert areas along the highways, I always felt they charged more for gas anyway because they are so remote, plus it's slight price gouging for the motorists along those highways, but I'm sure even those haven't closed down, and have much reduced prices, but probably not as low as in the cities.

Yes, I have AAA but there’s one stretch of 158 miles between gas stations on I-40. Also in some areas even cell phone service is spotty.

I like to drive through the desert at night so it’s not just a question of full closure but also reduced hours (are the normally all-night stations still all-night?).

But thanks for the information.

Pedestrian Apr 3, 2020 6:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AviationGuy (Post 8882901)
Have been finding more at the stores, but hand sanitizer doesn't seem to exist anymore. I did an online search and turned up nothing. Still have about 2 weeks of sanitizer remaining. After that, I guess it will be exclusively hand washing, which may be better anyway (but if I have to be in a store, I like to use hand sanitizer on grocery cart handles).

I’ve got the ingredients to make it on order. Got the aloe vera gel today but the isopropanol won’t come until April 18.

muppet Apr 3, 2020 8:01 AM

Coronavirus: What Could the West Learn from Asia?