SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

chris08876 Mar 27, 2020 4:20 AM

I hope more folks do the 2020 Census in NYC and online and actually heed attention to the envelopes they send. They've hired door to door folks to get these elusive residents (aiming too), but I feel like this virus if it continues will not help with the Census. Not just here, but in other places.

rsbear Mar 27, 2020 5:48 AM

Time for an updated Supermarket report from Studio City (Los Angeles). In the past few days my local Ralph's has started limiting the number of people allowed in the store. A couple of days ago I had to wait about 2 minutes for entry. This morning I went straight in. Inventory has improved dramatically. Most sections of the store were fully stocked. The dairy isle had some empty units. Still no paper products or disinfecting supplies. These improvements give me a little bit of hope during this bleak time.

sopas ej Mar 27, 2020 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsbear (Post 8875487)
Time for an updated Supermarket report from Studio City (Los Angeles). In the past few days my local Ralph's has started limiting the number of people allowed in the store. A couple of days ago I had to wait about 2 minutes for entry. This morning I went straight in. Inventory has improved dramatically. Most sections of the store were fully stocked. The dairy isle had some empty units. Still no paper products or disinfecting supplies. These improvements give me a little bit of hope during this bleak time.

Yeah; in my part of LA County, it's the same thing. The Pavilions in South Pasadena is still limiting the number of people who can enter the store at a time. Food/meat/produce are pretty much back to their regular stock levels, but paper products are still gone. I was able to find cleaning/disinfecting supplies at a Grocery Outlet Bargain Market. Oh, pasta and jarred pasta sauces are still limited. White and brown rice are also gone at many Asian markets, though you can find sweet rice. An Indian market I go to has recently stocked their rice shelves. I was able to score toilet paper (a brand I like) on Amazon last week and it should be delivered on Tuesday; I also ordered some for my parents. I'm not worried too much about toilet paper; I've been able to buy some at a Mexican supermarket near my work; it's just not the brand or size I like. I ordered 20 rolls of paper towels a few weeks ago through Office Depot and gave 10 of them to my parents.

sopas ej Mar 27, 2020 2:28 PM

Regarding the stimulus checks, and I guess I can look it up online myself, but from what I've been hearing, we will have to pay it back when we file our taxes next year for 2020; supposedly, it's like an advance on a tax refund, so if we're owed a refund for 2020, they will deduct $1200 from that refund, and if you owe for 2020, then you'll owe $1200 more. Does anyone know for sure if that's true? If that's the case, it's not really "free" money, for those saying we're all getting handouts. It's more like we're being lent money that we have to pay back.

I remember when Bush II was Prez, we also got stimulus checks, a very low amount, like 300 or 400 bucks, but I don't think we had to pay that back, if I recall correctly...

SIGSEGV Mar 27, 2020 2:48 PM

I want to reiterate this argument that not all COVID-19 deaths are being counted, it's both the numerator and denominator that are underestimated.

https://www.corriere.it/politica/20_...cdbe1130.shtml

Quote:

Nembro, one of the municipalities most affected by Covid-19, should have had - under normal conditions - about 35 deaths. 158 people were registered dead this year by the municipal offices. But the number of deaths officially attributed to Covid-19 is 31

Handro Mar 27, 2020 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8875656)
Regarding the stimulus checks, and I guess I can look it up online myself, but from what I've been hearing, we will have to pay it back when we file our taxes next year for 2020; supposedly, it's like an advance on a tax refund, so if we're owed a refund for 2020, they will deduct $1200 from that refund, and if you owe for 2020, then you'll owe $1200 more. Does anyone know for sure if that's true? If that's the case, it's not really "free" money, for those saying we're all getting handouts. It's more like we're being lent money that we have to pay back.

I remember when Bush II was Prez, we also got stimulus checks, a very low amount, like 300 or 400 bucks, but I don't think we had to pay that back, if I recall correctly...

I'm 99% sure that's not true. They are sending them whether you want it or not, they can't (and wouldn't) force people to take a $1,200 loan. Especially considering the income thresholds. I have read a lot about the package and haven't seen that stipulation anywhere, either--that's not to say I just didn't see it (I'm reading coverage, not the bill itself) but I think that would be something that would receive a lot of press...

Crawford Mar 27, 2020 3:35 PM

The checks aren't even taxable. They're simply an attempt to get cash in people's hands and to initiate consumer spending.

Also, not all households are getting the checks. There are income cutoffs.

Emprise du Lion Mar 27, 2020 3:42 PM

Just saw on the news that de Blasio was telling New Yorkers to be prepared for the city to be "paused" through May, as it is now.

sopas ej Mar 27, 2020 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8875707)
I'm 99% sure that's not true. They are sending them whether you want it or not, they can't (and wouldn't) force people to take a $1,200 loan. Especially considering the income thresholds. I have read a lot about the package and haven't seen that stipulation anywhere, either--that's not to say I just didn't see it (I'm reading coverage, not the bill itself) but I think that would be something that would receive a lot of press...

I'm very sure it isn't true either. I always take things with a grain of salt when a rumor goes around; I overheard it at work from this guy I think is a total idiot anyway, and I saw a few posts online through acquaintances' facebook pages. Just thought I'd ask to see if anyone else on SSP heard about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8875716)
The checks aren't even taxable. They're simply an attempt to get cash in people's hands and to initiate consumer spending.

Yeah, I know all that info. But with the real estate businessman game show host's Administration, I wouldn't put it past them.

chris08876 Mar 27, 2020 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emprise du Lion (Post 8875729)
Just saw on the news that de Blasio was telling New Yorkers to be prepared for the city to be "paused" through May, as it is now.

Yeah its going to be a while. Not just NYC but the metro really. NJ and Connecticut along with all of Long Island. 21+ million people essentially.

I'm suppose to return to work April 30th, was furloughed last Sunday, but I feel like that will change. I may be collecting for a while if the lock down continues for NJ or NYC. Sucks because a lot of what I do requires face-to-face and site inspections. I can work from home, but a bulk of risk management and consulting requires in-person site visits.

TWAK Mar 27, 2020 5:47 PM

Stuff is already shut down here till may or for longer, but they have been telling us that in CA for a while (if yah listen).

chris08876 Mar 27, 2020 6:22 PM

NJ is having live conference (governor).

Video Link

Governor Phil Murphy holds a coronavirus briefing in Trenton on March 27, 2020.

iheartthed Mar 27, 2020 7:24 PM

This isn't getting a lot of attention, but Michigan's stats are downright scary. It's on track to be the U.S.'s Italy; deaths from covid-19 are doubling every day.

dave8721 Mar 27, 2020 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8875716)

Yes I get 0. At least we aren't out of work so cant really complain

Vlajos Mar 27, 2020 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8876070)
Yes I get 0. At least we aren't out of work so cant really complain

People that are employed with good income should get 0. The support should go to unemployed.

subterranean Mar 27, 2020 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 8876095)
People that are employed with good income should get 0. The support should go to unemployed.

I don't think you quite understand how an economy works.

JManc Mar 27, 2020 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subterranean (Post 8876105)
I don't think you quite understand how an economy works.

I do. We are unaffected by any job or income loss, take in a good income and would not get anything from this stimulus but we don't need it.

Pedestrian Mar 27, 2020 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8875736)
I'm very sure it isn't true either. I always take things with a grain of salt when a rumor goes around; I overheard it at work from this guy I think is a total idiot anyway, and I saw a few posts online through acquaintances' facebook pages. Just thought I'd ask to see if anyone else on SSP heard about it.

Yeah, I know all that info. But with the real estate businessman game show host's Administration, I wouldn't put it past them.

The stimulus checks do not need to be paid back and furthermore, if things don't improve in 6 weeks or so you might get another one.

Innsertnamehere Mar 27, 2020 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8876116)
I do. We are unaffected by any job or income loss, take in a good income and would not get anything from this stimulus but we don't need it.

We are the Canadian equivalent. My employer will qualify for the newly upped wage subsidy though, despite still operating as normal other than staff working from home. Might make up for any lost productivity from WFH at least.

I'm not expecting a dime from the government personally, nor should I. Lots of family and friends are unemployed or otherwise and stressed to the max. I just gotta sit at home and work on my kitchen table.

My wife works in an essential industry however in government and she isn't getting any "danger pay" despite her job involving lots of human contact.. I feel like that may be warranted.

We are far from worst off right now though.

TWAK Mar 27, 2020 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8876116)

In this case you pump that check into the local economy if you can, if not buy local bonds :D