SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Wolf Point - East Tower | 679 FT | 62 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228891)

BonoboZill4 Sep 12, 2018 2:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lurker (Post 8311388)
^Thank you for your frequent updates on this project. It really is a great perspective.

My pleasure :cheers:

kolchak Sep 12, 2018 9:01 AM

^ Yes thanks. That is a great angle

gebs Sep 12, 2018 2:17 PM

Reminds me of when WPW was going up. Man this is going to look phenomenal.

https://i.imgur.com/snuFUaYh.jpg

SolarWind Sep 13, 2018 1:46 AM

September 11, 2018

rgarri4 Sep 13, 2018 1:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trvlr70 (Post 8309112)
I agree. A super bright white could have made it look futuristic and more modern.

My studio was in charge of the renderings for the Apparel Marts interior and exterior renovations and we tested a TON of options. White looked really bad. My favorite was super dark grey, almost black. Really wish they would of went with that. Sorry to be off topic.

trvlr70 Sep 13, 2018 1:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarri4 (Post 8313079)
My studio was in charge of the renderings for the Apparel Marts interior and exterior renovations and we tested a TON of options. White looked really bad. My favorite was super dark grey, almost black. Really wish they would of went with that. Sorry to be off topic.

I wish I could have seen the mock-up's.

Notyrview Sep 13, 2018 2:17 PM

The reason none of these colors work is bc painting a brutalist concrete building is a really bad idea.

left of center Sep 13, 2018 3:50 PM

I could see dark gray/black being a good color for this turd. From far away it might have even passed for a Miesian box.

Notyrview Sep 13, 2018 4:33 PM

I'm telling you. It would not.

left of center Sep 13, 2018 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 8313346)
I'm telling you. It would not.

I can't think of another color that would be better. Bare concrete might have looked nice, but that decision was made for us many moons ago. Can't un-ring that bell, lol

Kumdogmillionaire Sep 14, 2018 4:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 8313175)
The reason none of these colors work is bc painting a brutalist concrete building is a really bad idea.

It's not a brutalist building. It's just regular shitty modernism without any of the fun brutalist flair

KWillChicago Sep 14, 2018 5:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8313299)
I could see dark gray/black being a good color for this turd. From far away it might have even passed for a Miesian box.

The Godfrey hotel siding seems like it would have been a good fit.

BonoboZill4 Sep 14, 2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8314298)
The Godfrey hotel siding seems like it would have been a good fit.

I've never seen what people's thoughts are on the Godfrey around here. Do people like it or not? To me, it's kind of weird looking, but it comes across as fun to me

harryc Sep 14, 2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8314404)
I've never seen what people's thoughts are on the Godfrey around here. Do people like it or not? To me, it's kind of weird looking, but it comes across as fun to me

I quite enjoyed watching it billow in the wind - the new gray stuff - meh.
Godfrey Hotel by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Notyrview Sep 14, 2018 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 8314250)
It's not a brutalist building. It's just regular shitty modernism without any of the fun brutalist flair

Wrong. The original building was a brutalist building. Windows were then cut out of it which turned it into faux modernism. Now with the paint job it looks like a suburban hospital.

Zerton Sep 14, 2018 4:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8314404)

I think it's interesting. I like the narrow facade. All the huge cross-bracing makes it looks over-engineered - like it's built to withstand a 9 point earthquake or something.

r18tdi Sep 14, 2018 9:47 PM

I'm ready to see the crane to jump above the mart... Look like we're pretty close?

nomarandlee Sep 14, 2018 9:57 PM

As much as I love this project the one slight misgiving I have is the loss (in small part) of the enormity of the Merchandise Mart and the interesting obtuse angle of its trapezoid western face to be forevermore be hidden behind WPE.

It's a small price to pay for the whole WP project but I will miss a bit not be able to see the whole southern front in all its odd angled enormity. The view corridors of down Orleans and N.Wacker of WPE will hopefully compensate a bit for the loss.

Notyrview Sep 14, 2018 10:17 PM

I was think the same thing the other day. I suppose it's a good problem to have though.

BonoboZill4 Sep 14, 2018 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerton (Post 8314737)
I think it's interesting. I like the narrow facade. All the huge cross-bracing makes it looks over-engineered - like it's built to withstand a 9 point earthquake or something.

That describes it pretty perfectly to me and explains why I like it I think