SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

asugrad Feb 16, 2022 3:13 PM

Height?

Do have any idea of height?

CrestedSaguaro Feb 16, 2022 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asugrad (Post 9538529)

It was submitted in the FACT as 39 floors. This is clearly shorter at about 32. I'll take a guess between 325' - 350'.

ASUSunDevil Feb 16, 2022 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9538666)
It was submitted in the FACT as 39 floors. This is clearly shorter at about 32. I'll take a guess between 325' - 350'.

Who is the architect?

FighteroftheNightman Feb 18, 2022 4:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asugrad (Post 9538529)

Anyone down for a round of bowling before they demo? It's still down there under the existing lot.

Code5 Feb 18, 2022 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FighteroftheNightman (Post 9541095)
Anyone down for a round of bowling before they demo? It's still down there under the existing lot.

Yes, how do we sneak in?

Warren Peace Feb 18, 2022 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code5 (Post 9541198)
Yes, how do we sneak in?

The stairs are by the billboard on Central. It's covered with a heavy metal plate. You'll need heavy equipment to lift it, and some other Captain Obvious permissions.

I'm hoping a crew will be available to document part of Phoenix's history down there. It's time to identify whether there are any architectural clues to determine if an underground tunnel every existed connecting the bowling alley with Westward Ho. I would love to be part of that.

Obadno Feb 22, 2022 4:57 PM

How did we miss this? I am embarrassed that PHJ beat us to the punch. Cant win em' all I guess :cheers:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...struction.html

Quote:

Just as construction has begun on the Wexford Innovation Labs in downtown Phoenix, an even bigger project is in the works on the fast-growing Phoenix Biomedical Campus.

The Wexford Innovation Labs will occupy 34,500 square feet of space within the 227,113-square-foot 850 PBC science and technology structure built by Baltimore, Maryland-based Wexford Science & Technology LLC at 850 N. 5th St., with an expected completion this October.

Meanwhile, plans are in the works to build the next super structure downtown, known as 843 PBC, that will encompass two towers that could end up totaling 600,000 square feet.

Kyle Jardine, director of real estate development for Wexford Science & Technology, said the company is working with the city of Phoenix and Arizona State University to break ground on the first tower by the end of the year. Wexford also is ASU's partner on the 850 PBC building.

"We are still evaluating the cost on 843 PBC," he said. That new structure would be built just east of 850 PBC.

Jardine said he would have more information on that project in a month or two.

The final square footage of the two new towers would depend on market demand, he said.

Interest from life sciences tenants
The existing 850 PBC building is about 70% occupied, he said. Wexford had invested $77 million to build that structure.

"We have had a lot of discussions with both publicly traded life science companies as well as emerging startups or midsize companies relocating from both the east and west coasts," Jardine said.

Click on the gallery below or a look at 850 PBC and renderings of the planned lab space.

Meanwhile, the current focus is on getting the Wexford Innovation Labs opened this fall.

"We pulled permits faster than we anticipated, which is always nice but rare," Jardin said. "We started some demo prep and framing starts next week."

Okland Construction is handling that $12 million tenant improvement project, he said, with financing being provided by Wexford and its capital partner, Chicago-based Ventas Inc. (NYSE: VTR).

The Wexford Innovation Labs will take the entire fifth floor of the 850 PBC building, with about 60% of the lab space already committed, he said.

Wexford is partnering with the Center for Entrepreneurial Innovation, CEI, which will operate and program the Innovation Labs. CEI — which is part of the Maricopa County Community College District — has run an incubator program on the Gateway Community College Campus for the past eight years.

CEI currently leases about 6,500 square feet of space at 850 PBC, with plans to add 1,000 more square feet of training labs, Jardin said.

"They've been a great partner and tenant in the building," he said, adding that CEI and ASU paid for their own tenant improvement projects in their own spaces.

850 PBC has about 60,000 square feet of space available for lease.

"We've got the rest of the sixth floor and all of the seventh floor available," he said.

Somebody find the plans! 2 Towers??

PHX31 Feb 22, 2022 5:48 PM

So now we have...

Under construction:
Moon Tower
Sky Tower
Palm Court Residences Tower
Derby (nearly finished)
X Phase 1 (nearly finished)

Apparently construction basically imminent:
Central Station
First McKinley
X Phase 2

Hopefully by the end of the year:
Astra
new Wexford Tower
Blue

What am I missing or mis-representing?

CrestedSaguaro Feb 22, 2022 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 9545226)
So now we have...

Under construction:
Moon Tower
Sky Tower
Derby (nearly finished)

Central Station
X Phase 2

Astra
new Wexford Tower
First McKinley
Blue(name?)

The one I can't remember the name of next to The Stewart First McKinley - I would add this to immenent
Blue(name?) The Blue is the correct name.

azliam Feb 22, 2022 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 9545226)
So now we have...

Under construction:
Moon Tower
Sky Tower
Derby (nearly finished)

Central Station
X Phase 2

Astra
new Wexford Tower
First McKinley
Blue(name?)

Not necessarily this year, but in the pipeline:

Link III
601 N Central
The Edith
The other X (basecamp or Roosevelt - whatever name)

PHX06 Feb 22, 2022 6:32 PM

Aspire is also still under construction, and X Phoenix Phase 1 is complete enough that people are already living there -- just waiting on finishing touches to amenities.

Hopefully Jefferson/Barrister is still a thing too...

Obadno Feb 22, 2022 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX06 (Post 9545290)
Aspire is also still under construction, and X Phoenix Phase 1 is complete enough that people are already living there -- just waiting on finishing touches to amenities.

Hopefully Jefferson/Barrister is still a thing too...

With things like Derby and Central station coming through after YEARS leads me to believe anything is possible.

CrestedSaguaro Feb 22, 2022 6:37 PM

I forgot to mention that yesterday, I saw a for sale sign at 702 N. 1st St. The sign specifies for high-rise development and I suddenly realized that the proposed 601 N. Central and the future development of the Public Market and adjacent buildings were two seperate potential high-rise development blocks. For some reason, I was thinking they were one and the same. I guess I spaced out on that one.

I really hope this all happens. This will really will tie-up all of downtown together with the Roosevelt Row and McKinley developments giving us a much bigger skyline extending towards the north.

gymratmanaz Feb 22, 2022 6:54 PM

I know it would be guessing, but how tall might 2 towers be that total 600,000 square feet???

combusean Feb 22, 2022 7:14 PM

^ Using 850 PBC as a ballpark which is 277k sqft... not very tall, probably about a floor taller than 850 PBC. I'm assuming they're going to fill up the whole lot with the two which could be a plus. It's just more easily sold squat boxes that corporations seem to love.

CrestedSaguaro Feb 22, 2022 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9545357)
^ Using 850 PBC as a ballpark which is 277k sqft... not very tall, probably about a floor taller than 850 PBC. I'm assuming they're going to fill up the whole lot with the two which could be a plus. It's just more easily sold squat boxes that corporations seem to love.

I'm a little fuzzy on this, but I believe this was discussed a few months back. One building would be nearly a twin of 850 PBC on the adjacent lot directly to the South. A second building (which is what appears to be going up first according to the article) would be built on the block East of 850 and would be on-top of a 6 floor parking garage. If that holds true, that could be around double the height of 850 PBC. But I guess we'll see if the parking garage is still part of the plan as mentioned a few months back. I'll see if I can find that conversation.

Phxguy Feb 22, 2022 7:42 PM

https://www.phoenix.gov/econdevsite/...pus%202021.pdf

Interestingly the PCB plan from last year doesn't indicate 843 PCB for a development of this scale or maybe the plan can't keep up.

Am curious if any part of that footprint will include mixed uses such as residential. This parcel in particular was initially envisioned with residential as well as lab space and a small park.

CrestedSaguaro Feb 22, 2022 7:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9545395)
I'm a little fuzzy on this, but I believe this was discussed a few months back. One building would be nearly a twin of 850 PBC on the adjacent lot directly to the South. A second building (which is what appears to be going up first according to the article) would be built on the block East of 850 and would be on-top of a 6 floor parking garage. If that holds true, that could be around double the height of 850 PBC. But I guess we'll see if the parking garage is still part of the plan as mentioned a few months back. I'll see if I can find that conversation.

Found it. Here it is: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=1577

gymratmanaz Feb 22, 2022 7:52 PM

So I shouldn't have become overly excited when it said.... Meanwhile, plans are in the works to build the next super structure downtown, known as 843 PBC, that will encompass two towers that could end up totaling 600,000 square feet..... I was excited by SUPER STRUCTURE...... still a nice addition, just not SUPER in my mind in the world of STRUCTUREs. :)

combusean Feb 22, 2022 7:59 PM

Well, huh, I didn't consider the possibility of a podium garage. 850 PBC has such little parking (2:1000) but none of it is onsite besides the adjoining lot... so reparking it and carrying forward the same ratio gives you 1,750 spaces which is quite hefty.