SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

exit2lef Apr 28, 2017 8:39 PM

State 48 Brewery

Excellent news. State 48, currently situated in the hinterlands of Surprise, is coming to the Welnick building. Downtown needs more breweries, and the Welnick project needs tenants.

http://www.abc15.com/entertainment/e...wntown-phoenix

biggus diggus Apr 28, 2017 8:46 PM

Oh, wow, too close to the office. I see some afternoon naps in my future...

exit2lef Apr 29, 2017 2:07 AM

San Carlos Hotel

So today I got a haircut from my usual barber, whose shop is on the ground floor of the San Carlos. He told me that the hotel is in escrow and likely to be sold on May 1. He also said the new owners may seek to convert the building to condominiums. Can anyone confirm, deny, or provide details?

Phxguy Apr 29, 2017 2:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7789011)
So today I got a haircut from my usual barber, whose shop is on the ground floor of the San Carlos. He told me that the hotel is in escrow and likely to be sold on May 1. He also said the new owners may seek to convert the building to condominiums. Can anyone confirm, deny, or provide details?

That's a scary thought, a Westward Ho 2.0. Walking by there today, I saw the downtown Convenience shop there had a sign on the window saying "our lease was lost" and they are closing.

exit2lef Apr 29, 2017 4:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 7789039)
That's a scary thought, a Westward Ho 2.0. Walking by there today, I saw the downtown Convenience shop there had a sign on the window saying "our lease was lost" and they are closing.

My barber was talking about half million dollar condos, so I don't think we're looking at Westward Ho territory. None of this is confirmed, though. Maybe it's real or maybe it's just barber banter.

fawd Apr 29, 2017 5:34 AM

Eddie!!!

Phxguy Apr 29, 2017 9:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7789092)
My barber was talking about half million dollar condos, so I don't think we're looking at Westward Ho territory. None of this is confirmed, though. Maybe it's real or maybe it's just barber banter.

Hopefully it's only speculation. Maybe a newer owner could restore the original charm to the building. Add the old signage, fix the broken elevator,
Maybe allow access to the rooftop again with a new restaurant and garden. Maybe I'm being too hopeful. It's just a piece of Phoenix history that I'd hate to see go out with a whimper like Monties.

PHXFlyer11 Apr 29, 2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 7789197)
Hopefully it's only speculation. Maybe a newer owner could restore the original charm to the building. Add the old signage, fix the broken elevator,
Maybe allow access to the rooftop again with a new restaurant and garden. Maybe I'm being too hopeful. It's just a piece of Phoenix history that I'd hate to see go out with a whimper like Monties.

It wouldn't shock me with the new Garden Inn across the street and the hotel coming to Central Park. I'm okay with if if they restore the building and add new retail. They should keep the historic name as well, or atleast the sign. Even if it isn't a hotel any longer.

CrestedSaguaro Apr 29, 2017 10:02 PM

Couple of small updates...

Tower crane is going up for the Hampton Inn.

Also, the building at Pierson St. And Central is getting demolished. Can't remember what was going there. Anyone?

Phxguy Apr 29, 2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7789544)
Couple of small updates...

Tower crane is going up for the Hampton Inn.

Also, the building at Pierson St. And Central is getting demolished. Can't remember what was going there. Anyone?

I'm a bit confused with second bit. The Phoenix Public Maket and Westward Ho are at Pierce and Central. You're probably thinking of the Circles building which is only one street north at McKinley and Central.

exit2lef Apr 29, 2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7789544)

An apartment complex on both sides of Central is planned.

exit2lef Apr 29, 2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 7789549)
I'm a bit confused with second bit. The Phoenix Public Maket and Westward Ho are at Pierce and Central. You're probably thinking of the Circles building which is only one street north at McKinley and Central.

Pierson not Pierce

exit2lef Apr 29, 2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7789234)
It wouldn't shock me with the new Garden Inn across the street and the hotel coming to Central Park. I'm okay with if if they restore the building and add new retail. They should keep the historic name as well, or atleast the sign. Even if it isn't a hotel any longer.

deleted due to double post

exit2lef Apr 29, 2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7789234)

I'd like to see the building get some attention, as long as it is done with respect for its history. Currently, it seems underperforming. Eddie's main concern, understandably, was whether low-margin, small business tenants like his barbershop would have a place in the building after renovation.

jward145 Apr 30, 2017 6:16 PM

Hello!

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7789550)
An apartment complex on both sides of Central is planned.

Hi all! New to the thread. Moving to Phoenix next year. For this project, I've noticed that there's an empty lot across from Dutch Bros. Is this being developed as well? Any pics or renderings to share? :tup:

fawd Apr 30, 2017 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jward145 (Post 7790069)
Hi all! New to the thread. Moving to Phoenix next year

Hello!

exit2lef Apr 30, 2017 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jward145 (Post 7790069)
Hi all! New to the thread. Moving to Phoenix next year. For this project, I've noticed that there's an empty lot across from Dutch Bros. Is this being developed as well? Any pics or renderings to share? :tup:

That land is a combination of two properties. One is a triangular lot under private ownership. That's the land closest to the intersection. The other is a strip of land behind the triangle that the city has previously used as part of a transit center. It currently houses several bus bays that are no longer needed due to shifts in bus routing. The city recently RFP'd this land with, I believe, the intent of having it packaged it with the triangle as single parcel available for multi-story residential at that key corner. I haven't heard anything since then, but I hope the deal happens. That corner is a key location along the light rail line, but is has been vacant for as long as I can remember. I would be nice to have something built, or at least under construction, when light rail's 10th anniversary occurs in December 2018.

Editing to add another thought: During the height of the real estate insanity a decade ago, there was a proposal to build three 400-foot towers at that site. There was, predictably, strong opposition from the neighborhood associations in nearby historic districts, but the market crashed and the project evaporated before the battle could even be fought. Whatever is built there in the years to come will likely be more modest.

ASU Diablo May 1, 2017 6:32 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Genuine Concepts revamping Downtown Deli in downtown Phoenix

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7778804)
You guys were asking about the old Downtown Deli spot the other day, Tucker Woodbury is re-opening the deli.

More info on this at PBJ. Behind a paywall but some quick highlights:

Quote:

Downtown Deli is coming back to downtown Phoenix — sort of.

Tucker Woodbury, partner at Genuine Concepts — the restaurant group behind some of the Valley's hotspots such as The Vig, Cobra Arcade Bar, Little Woody and The Womack - and Charlie Levy, head of Stateside Presents and owner of Crescent Ballroom and Valley Bar, have dropped roughly $500,000 to reopen Downtown Deli.

Genuine will operate and manage the space. The thing is, it won't really be a deli, but more of a “dog-eared, broken-in tavern," as Woodbury said.

In every big city, there’s always a run-down tavern that everyone goes to. We don’t have that yet in downtown Phoenix,” said Woodbury.

The duo decided to create that tavern feel that Tom's Tavern in downtown Phoenix once had, where young, old, high and low profile folks could feel equal in the space — similar to Chez Jay in Santa Monica, California.

"We hope to capture that feeling," Woodbury said. The 1,400-square-foot space will be open from roughly 7 a.m. to 2 a.m. — possibly later — with a focus on comfort food, and seat about 90. Think breakfast served all day, grilled cheese, fried chicken, soup and sandwich combos and house cut fries, as well as 50-cent coffee.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...town-deli.html

biggus diggus May 1, 2017 6:43 PM

yep, and it'll print cash when he gets it up and running. I live a short walk from one of their newer spots, Ladera, and it's a cash cow as well...

Obadno May 1, 2017 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7790944)
More info on this at PBJ. Behind a paywall but some quick highlights:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...town-deli.html

They have clearly never been to Seamus