SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

dtnphx Feb 21, 2017 10:12 PM

:yeahthat:

Phxguy Feb 22, 2017 2:16 AM

Yo!!

https://www.facebook.com/PHXDNA/

According to this FB page, good with development updates btw, the Barrister lot is being cleared for construction of condos. This must be for the proposal we saw a few months ago. A 20 story condo building on Jefferson, a 6-story to match Barrister on Central w/rooftop park, and the restoration of the Barrister building itself with its original window looks and rooftop ornaments. And of course, lovely ground floor retail.

Fingers crossed, this is it!

Update: Here is the link to the article

http://kjzz.org/sites/default/files/...n%206.1.16.pdf

biggus diggus Feb 22, 2017 3:12 AM

I hope they are correct, looks promising for sure and between that and the light work happening at Circles and at Cityscape/Colliers there may be some cranes in the next few months. It will be fantastic to see and long term all of the signs are pointing at this being a San Diego like downtown; lots of 4-5 story small apartment buildings that aren't all that different from garden apartments in the suburbs, scattered between a lot of high rise hotels and some pricier condos.

I'm taking this opportunity to potentially purchase a home outside of downtown and rent out my condo, it's been a fun ride but to me it's becoming less fun to live downtown, it's been just constant annoyance with road closures and construction for the past couple of years. The quality of neighbors has been declining toward a younger crowd that's up partying and making noise all the time as well. The icing on the cake is the chip everyone seems to have on their shoulder about "you shouldn't build this", "you shouldn't demolish that", "they won't let us have our free range mason jar fair trade single origin coffee DJ party here". Hard to carry on a conversation with anyone without a string of complaints coming up.

Sorry for the rant but I feel totally drained on all the drama downtown lately, will be keeping my office downtown though.

muertecaza Feb 22, 2017 4:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7719657)
I hope they are correct, looks promising for sure and between that and the light work happening at Circles and at Cityscape/Colliers there may be some cranes in the next few months. It will be fantastic to see and long term all of the signs are pointing at this being a San Diego like downtown; lots of 4-5 story small apartment buildings that aren't all that different from garden apartments in the suburbs, scattered between a lot of high rise hotels and some pricier condos.

I'm taking this opportunity to potentially purchase a home outside of downtown and rent out my condo, it's been a fun ride but to me it's becoming less fun to live downtown, it's been just constant annoyance with road closures and construction for the past couple of years. The quality of neighbors has been declining toward a younger crowd that's up partying and making noise all the time as well. The icing on the cake is the chip everyone seems to have on their shoulder about "you shouldn't build this", "you shouldn't demolish that", "they won't let us have our free range mason jar fair trade single origin coffee DJ party here". Hard to carry on a conversation with anyone without a string of complaints coming up.

Sorry for the rant but I feel totally drained on all the drama downtown lately, will be keeping my office downtown though.

That's understandable, but too bad. Downtown will always be better if it doesn't become solely a younger crowd.

Also this:

Quote:

The icing on the cake is the chip everyone seems to have on their shoulder about "you shouldn't build this", "you shouldn't demolish that", "they won't let us have our free range mason jar fair trade single origin coffee DJ party here"
makes me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuduYMzY3Dc

TJPHXskyscraperfan Feb 22, 2017 4:35 AM

To biggus diggus. Well if your office is still downtown won't you have to deal with some of the minor road closures downtown anyway? Not to mention the traffic to get downtown everyday? This is just the beginning of what is turning into a great downtown!

exit2lef Feb 22, 2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

The icing on the cake is the chip everyone seems to have on their shoulder about "you shouldn't build this", "you shouldn't demolish that", "they won't let us have our free range mason jar fair trade single origin coffee DJ party here". Hard to carry on a conversation with anyone without a string of complaints coming up.

I've recently become aware that some of my coworkers have moved into one of the new apartment buildings on Roosevelt Row. They probably wouldn't have considered such a move, or found a ready supply of attractive housing, just a few years ago. At the same time, some of the most outspoken mason jar free-rangers I know have stopped their complaining about the changes on Roosevelt and moved on to Grand Avenue and other neighborhoods. For me, those are good outcomes.

nickw252 Feb 22, 2017 2:46 PM

Quote:

What areas are you thinking of outside of downtown? Are you talking like Gilbert? Or are you thinking more along the lines of a location still in the central Phoenix area? If central Phoenix, look at the historic districts. I used to live in Encanto Palmcroft and the mix of neighbors was great. All professionals that were fun to live by and get to know. No partying and making noise, good short commutes, and nice unique houses (I may be a little biased thought).

macturbo Feb 22, 2017 10:14 PM

This is a smaller project but does anyone know anything about Casitas at Tramonto, going into the NE corner of N North Valley Parkway and N 33rd Lane? It is being designed by Young Design Group for Snowdon Partners (yes SnowdOn is spelled correctly there.) I tried to use the assessors site and to check for permits but Im not too proficient with that. I also found this article http://cem-az.com/tramonto-multifami...r-2-7-million/ . Honestly theres probably not much other info out there other than that but thought I would ask.

biggus diggus Feb 23, 2017 1:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 7719958)
What areas are you thinking of outside of downtown? Are you talking like Gilbert? Or are you thinking more along the lines of a location still in the central Phoenix area? If central Phoenix, look at the historic districts. I used to live in Encanto Palmcroft and the mix of neighbors was great. All professionals that were fun to live by and get to know. No partying and making noise, good short commutes, and nice unique houses (I may be a little biased thought).

North Central.

Spitfiredude Feb 23, 2017 11:56 PM

I would move to downtown, but the nightlife there is lack-luster and could use improvements. Its either hipster or ghetto, for the most part. There are a couple of evening bars I like (Bitter & Twisted). Why I have switched living between Tempe, City North, & now Old Town. If that changed along with more residents, I would consider moving downtown. Also, there are only like 3-4 high rise choices. I would buy/rent a condo if it was in the right location, but nothing exists on the north end besides maybe 44 Monroe (kinda).

biggus diggus Feb 24, 2017 1:26 AM

Have you been downtown in the past five years? The nightlife scene is solid, maybe your friends are making terrible choices on where to take you.

Obadno Feb 24, 2017 5:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 7721824)
I would move to downtown, but the nightlife there is lack-luster and could use improvements. Its either hipster or ghetto, for the most part. There are a couple of evening bars I like (Bitter & Twisted). Why I have switched living between Tempe, City North, & now Old Town. If that changed along with more residents, I would consider moving downtown. Also, there are only like 3-4 high rise choices. I would buy/rent a condo if it was in the right location, but nothing exists on the north end besides maybe 44 Monroe (kinda).

What part of downtown are you going to that's "ghetto"

Spitfiredude Feb 24, 2017 6:50 AM

Really? I've worked in nightlife for years, just recently stopped & ive been to Gaslamp, Hollywood, Hermosa Beach, Vegas, Capitol Hill, Pioneer Square, Houston, Uptown in Dallas, NY, Miami Beach, Jersey, plenty of college towns, & more. I think I know my nightlife pretty well & probably better than anyone on this thread. Last time I went was 4 months ago & ive been there 4 times & have had bad times, every time.

As for ghetto, that entire row along Washington is trash. Monarch is an EDM 18+ warehouse club that's hot as hell & has trashy table service. Half the kids are hopped up on ecstasy & other drugs. Next door you have Sky & Luxx which are 95% one race. Coming from someone who is half Mexican, I like to have diversity in my nightlife not just a club of one race playing Latin & reggaeton all night to enjoy the likes of people from South Phoenix. Get my drift. I've been to Valley Bar, that pool at Cityscape & Gypsy. Pretty much all hipster bar type seen, not really nightclubs. Anyway, I guess I just like going where people are nicely dressed & there are legit nightclubs. If you disagree that's fine. But unless someone is looking for live music, I would never recommend downtown Phoenix to them. It would be Old Town, Mill, City North area, Westgate, & then downtown.

But hey, if you guys have suggestions, I'm all ears.

Obadno Feb 24, 2017 7:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 7722228)
Really? I've worked in nightlife for years, just recently stopped & ive been to Gaslamp, Hollywood, Hermosa Beach, Vegas, Capitol Hill, Pioneer Square, Houston, Uptown in Dallas, NY, Miami Beach, Jersey, plenty of college towns, & more. I think I know my nightlife pretty well & probably better than anyone on this thread. Last time I went was 4 months ago & ive been there 4 times & have had bad times, every time.

As for ghetto, that entire row along Washington is trash. Monarch is an EDM 18+ warehouse club that's hot as hell & has trashy table service. Half the kids are hopped up on ecstasy & other drugs. Next door you have Sky & Luxx which are 95% one race. Coming from someone who is half Mexican, I like to have diversity in my nightlife not just a club of one race playing Latin & reggaeton all night to enjoy the likes of people from South Phoenix. Get my drift. I've been to Valley Bar, that pool at Cityscape & Gypsy. Pretty much all hipster bar type seen, not really nightclubs. Anyway, I guess I just like going where people are nicely dressed & there are legit nightclubs. If you disagree that's fine. But unless someone is looking for live music, I would never recommend downtown Phoenix to them. It would be Old Town, Mill, City North area, Westgate, & then downtown.

Dont go to that row on Washington, Go north of Washington. Downtown definitely inst a place for nightclubs, its a bar area. Scottsdale has the highest concentration of nightlife, Mill is close but very collegey. City North has ...not much of anything. And Ive honestly never been to westgate. There is also quite a few decent bars spread between old town and central between camelback and Indian school generally refereed to as "Arcadia" now despite most of them not actually being in Arcadia.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Feb 24, 2017 7:42 AM

Wow, Spitfiredude. U been downtown 4 times? How old r u? Yes, Old Town is cool, ur EDM scene, Maya, Mint, International which may be too "ghetto" for you in Old Town. I'm 30 and have gone out in Old Town and Downtown Phoenix, hundreds of times, literally. You seriously put Westgate and City North above going out in Downtown Phoenix? There ain't crap there unless u want to pick up a cougar at Blue Martini, Westgate is cool for a bite to eat after the Cards game, and even that is underwhelming. Yeah, we don't have a mega club downtown like Vegas or anything, I lived there for two years by the way, but it is a great place to be. Yeah, hipsters are everywhere, welcome to 2017, every downtown across America. But, there's something for everyone downtown, Lux, Bar Smith, Monarch, are cool, may be a little more Hispanic but yeah this is Phoenix dude. There's actually cool things to do down here and make a night of it, catch a Stand Up Live show go bowling at Lucky Strike then go dance at Gypsy or watch the band at Copper Blues. Shoot, The Park just opened, Kiss FM is going to be there every Friday night. But Cobra Bar, where can u go play old school arcade games with a DJ spinning hip hop or maybe a lil EDM. I like Milk Bars concept, a cool lil lounge, there's no better Sushi spot than Moira. My, I could go on and on. So also, where are these high rises in Scottsdale? Are you a millionaire and have a spot at Water Front or whatever it's called? Yeah, they're building 4 to 6 story apartments just like they are downtown as well. But living down here is awesome, to go to a Suns game, a Dbacks game, catch a comedy show, and still be able to hang out after and hear good music downtown is awesome. All types of different concepts and not the same old crap, it's awesome to live down here. And also an occasional night in Old Town is a quick Uber ride away as well. Hopefully Maya actually brings a name DJ for their pool parties this year, I saw Calvin Harris and David Guetta the first year it opened and they haven't been getting crap since.

biggus diggus Feb 24, 2017 2:24 PM

Oh you're a clubber, yeah downtown is not for you.

Funny to hear what you associate when ghetto, I associate clubs with "ghetto".

mdpx Feb 24, 2017 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 7722228)

Yeah, we get your drift. So, what you're saying is you want a sterile, clean, safe downtown with people and businesses that caters to people like you. Those "other" types are not worthy of their own clubs, music and experiences Downtwon. A very telling, "the likes of people from South Phoenix." We all know what that means, Mr. Transparent. You're very open about your xenophobia, dude. Ugly, ugly perspective. In this new world we're in, you'll fit in just fine.

Obadno Feb 24, 2017 5:04 PM

Quote:

You're very open about your xenophobia, dude. Ugly, ugly perspective. In this new world we're in, you'll fit in just fine.
Today 7:24 AM

Wow, Spitfiredude. U been downtown 4 times? How old r u? Yes, Old Town is cool, ur EDM scene, Maya, Mint, International which may be too "ghetto" for you in Old Town
alright guys thats a little unnecessary, people can prefer different things.:shrug:

Not liking LUX doesnt make you Xenophobic, I dont like LUX either.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Feb 24, 2017 5:51 PM

MDPX nailed it. I been going to clubs downtown and in Oldtown since I was 21. I loved Axis Radius back in the day. You had a good mix crowd and EDM on one side and hip hop on the other. But yeah, you don't have go to Lux or any of those bar/clubs on Washington but to knock it and call it ghetto and knock people from South Phoenix is wrong. Downtown is suppose to be a place for everybody not just you Spitfiredude. When I'm talking about International or Mint or any place in Scottsdale, They have their "Urban" nights as well. And "Urban meaning black not urban meaning the city, quote from Hannibal Buress,lol. I been going to clubs on "urban"nights since I was 21 cause I'm a big hip hop head, although EDM has grown on me the past 7 years or so. I guess with Lux Spitfiredude you must mean more Hispanic than International, I guess you never been to International on an "Urban" night. Either way, Downtown may not be for u but it's for everyone else looking for a good time.

dtnphx Feb 24, 2017 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7722499)
alright guys thats a little unnecessary, people can prefer different things.:shrug:

Not liking LUX doesnt make you Xenophobic, I dont like LUX either.

Unnecessary? Did you read HIS post? Totally unnecessary in the first place. What, we all don't get a chance to respond to that directly? It wasn't liking or disliking a club, it was the use of "others" to indicate that these places are unacceptable. Mdpx is spot on.