SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Vicelord John Oct 9, 2011 5:25 PM

Heres to hoping they keep the My Florist sign up.

HooverDam Oct 9, 2011 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5438718)
Heres to hoping they keep the My Florist sign up.

I'd be super shocked if they talked about taking it down, the Community would flip a lid if they tried that. That sign and the Courtesy Chevrolet sign both need to be put on some kind of State register though just to be safe.

nickw252 Oct 9, 2011 6:09 PM

Chateau on Central

I was browsing the listings on Zillow and this image is shown with some of the units that are for sale. It appears that 3 have sold so far. Although they aren't selling like hot cakes, it's not all bad because I don't think all of the units are even finished on the inside yet.

http://i53.tinypic.com/30bfx1x.jpg

phxSUNSfan Oct 9, 2011 9:54 PM

Tom's Tavern has reopened. Looks very nice and I plan on visiting soon. Anyone been inside or eaten there yet?

http://downtowndevil.com/2011/10/06/...urant-reopens/

TakeFive Oct 10, 2011 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingLouieLouie76 (Post 5438281)
Interesting video here..a lot of fascinating insight provided:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwOyBuwGhGM

:cheers:

When at first I clicked, I was deterred by the time of, but as I started watching, I found it to be very good indeed. The discussion, though not as much fun, was good as well.

As more of a newbie, I recently took my kiddo down to The Duce, just to get some context.

It was a good review of the issues that are lively topics of conversation on this site, so it was interesting to hear their perspectives.

Coming from Denver with a perspective of several decades, dreams shattered and rebuilt, is why I have conviction that Downtown Phoenix has awesome potential.

Obviously at azcentral, they think I'm looney. :D

:cool::cool::cool:

TakeFive Oct 10, 2011 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 5438959)
Tom's Tavern has reopened. Looks very nice and I plan on visiting soon. Anyone been inside or eaten there yet?

http://downtowndevil.com/2011/10/06/...urant-reopens/

:tup::tup: for the heads up.

I've never been and need to check it out.

westbev93 Oct 10, 2011 8:24 PM

I doubt anybody has eaten there yet because it doesn't open to the public until Thursday. There were still some guys doing what I assume was punch list stuff on Saturday morning. I'm glad they ditched the crappy diner look for something a bit more fitting to its history. It will always be my favorite lunch spot on trial days.

dtnphx Oct 10, 2011 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 5439745)
:
Obviously at azcentral, they think I'm looney. :D

Maybe they think you're looney because you use an amazing amount of emoticons when you post.

TakeFive Oct 10, 2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 5439799)
Maybe they think you're looney because you use an amazing amount of emoticons when you post.

:(:(

For me, just part of having a little fun. Sorry, it grates on you so. I do hope you're able to get over it.

On the outside chance you're not aware, azcentral doesn't have emoticons.

Have a jolly good week. :D

:):):)

dtnphx Oct 11, 2011 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 5439954)
:(:(

For me, just part of having a little fun. Sorry, it grates on you so. I do hope you're able to get over it.

On the outside chance you're not aware, azcentral doesn't have emoticons.

Have a jolly good week. :D

:):):)

Use them all you want (as you intend to) and I promise not to comment on them again. A little fun, for sure. Every single time you post, not so much.

Enjoy your week (insert smiley face here).

TakeFive Oct 12, 2011 4:05 PM

This is Good, This is Pregress

In the "day after" analysis of securing Super Bowl XLIX in 2015, there's an interesting perspective from the Phoenix Business Journal. http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/m...-downtown.html
Quote:

Concentrating more Super Bowl-related events in downtown Phoenix was a key....

One criticism of the Valley’s 2008 hosting of the Super Bowl was that venues and events related to the game were too spread out and required long commutes.

The video presentation to NFL owners, produced by E.B. Lane and the Cardinals, highlighted the changes in downtown Phoenix since 2008.
It has taken Phoenix a little longer to develop its core than some other places, but this city's CBD will yet rise in stature, becoming vibrant and a focus of the Metro area. Others here,
can better list the logistical assets of downtown, which will become more important and more prominent as we move into the future.

I think a special tribute is due to all those who pushed for and made happen, all the achievements of the last decade.

:tup::tup::tup:

KEVINphx Oct 12, 2011 5:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 5441973)

In the "day after" analysis of securing Super Bowl XLIX in 2015, there's an interesting perspective from the Phoenix Business Journal. http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/m...-downtown.html

It has taken Phoenix a little longer to develop its core than some other places, but this city's CBD will yet rise in stature, becoming vibrant and a focus of the Metro area. Others here,
can better list the logistical assets of downtown, which will become more important and more prominent as we move into the future.

I think a special tribute is due to all those who pushed for and made happen, all the achievements of the last decade.

:tup::tup::tup:

In addition, to the smilies I, would like to, add unnecessary commas to the irritation, list, thank, you!

gymratmanaz Oct 12, 2011 5:54 PM

" In addition, to the smilies I, would like to, add unnecessary commas to the irritation, list, thank, you! "-KEVINphx

Too funny!!!! Though I am also an English teacher, I don't really read for correct mechanics on this site. Your comment style was funny, though!!!!!! :) :) :)

Vicelord John Oct 12, 2011 6:42 PM

looking for proper grammar and spelling on an internet forum is a good way to set yourself up for frustration.

gymratmanaz Oct 12, 2011 7:21 PM

and insanity!!!! Forums are for ideas and not grammatical learning. LOL!!!!

KEVINphx Oct 12, 2011 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 5442162)
" In addition, to the smilies I, would like to, add unnecessary commas to the irritation, list, thank, you! "-KEVINphx

Too funny!!!! Though I am also an English teacher, I don't really read for correct mechanics on this site. Your comment style was funny, though!!!!!! :) :) :)

I understand, I just found it to be a little hard to ignore! I don't look for the mechanics in particular but his use of the comma was just a little overboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5442250)
looking for proper grammar and spelling on an internet forum is a good way to set yourself up for frustration.

I understand that but I was just poking fun - I could really care less. It was just hard to resist after someone else pointed out the emoticons lol

westbev93 Oct 12, 2011 9:32 PM

While we are correcting grammar and spelling on a message board, I'll add that your post should read, "I could really not care less."

Tito714 Oct 13, 2011 3:05 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but Mountainside Fitness is opening up a location downtown at Chase Field.

Mountainside Fitness to open new gym in Chase Field
Phoenix Business Journal by Mike Sunnucks
Date: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 1:49pm MST

Chase Field

Mountainside Fitness Centers is opening a new location inside Chase Field in downtown Phoenix. The 12,000-square-foot center in the Arizona Diamondbacks home ballpark is likely the first fitness center to be located inside a major U.S. sports stadium, according to the team and executives with Tempe-based Mountainside.
The fitness center will be located in the former Peter Piper Pizza Playhouse area in the outfield section of Chase Field. That area previously housed a video game arcade. Mountainside is taking over that space with plans to have the new center open by March 1, said company president Tom Hatten.
Hatten said the idea was hatched after Diamondbacks executive vice president Cullen Maxey approached him about building an in-house health and fitness center for D-backs employees. The team’s offices are located within Chase Field.
Hatten said that original idea morphed into his company locating a fitness center for its members inside the stadium.
The Chase Field location will include exercise bikes and various fitness equipment. Mountainside’s suburban locations are usually about three times larger, Hatten said.
“Adding a state-of-the-art fitness center within the walls of Chase Field is a positive for our employees, fans and people downtown,” said Maxey. “The convenience to downtown and light rail make it an ideal spot for Mountainside Fitness, and when you consider how unique this is for Major League Baseball in general, it is really exciting.”
The downtown Phoenix ballpark location is open to Mountainside members, but they will have to pay an extra $4 monthly fee to use it. The center will have a private entrance on the north side of the ballpark and private parking will be available to Mountainside members.
The company is already a marketing partner with the D-backs, and Hatten said this will give Mountainside a presence in downtown Phoenix and allow suburban members who work downtown to work out in a unique environment.
“We’ve always been a suburb-oriented business,” said Hatten.
There are a handful of other gyms and fitness centers in downtown Phoenix, including a Gold’s Gym at CityScape, the Renaissance Athletic Club inside the Renaissance Center office complex and the Lincoln Family Downtown YMCA.
Mountainside has 47,000 members and 11 facilities spread across the Phoenix area.
Hatten said Mountainside will offer some shuttle services from its other locations to the Chase Field facility. Mountainside will also have some kids exercise equipment outside its center on the Chase Field concourse for fans to try, There will also be windows from the center onto the concourse of the stadium. Hatten said Mountainside members who have tickets to D-backs games will be able to park in a private lot for the center and enter the stadium through the new facility.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n....html?page=all

westbev93 Oct 13, 2011 8:03 PM

Work is moving at the My Florist corner. They had taken out some windows last week or so. As of 5:45am today, they were tearing down the awning over the sidewalk on McDowell. They also appear to have gutted even more stores in the brick building (the fat bride store remains).

Hopefully they replace all the shading they have now removed (trees and now the awning). There's also a fair amount of equipment sitting on the vacant lot next door so hopefully they are starting to build on that/those lot(s). There was an approved site plan for the previous owner, and I assume that the new owner is doing all this work under that previous site plan. Can anyone access that to see what we may be getting? Any idea if they are planning on keeping some historic integrity to those buildings, or are they just planning on making it look like a typical suburban strip mall like they are doing in the old Tom Horne building?

Crispy Oct 14, 2011 4:06 AM

Don't know about the structure but I heard "Habit" burger and a T-Mobile store are going in along with the NYPD.