SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

PHXFlyer11 Aug 4, 2015 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7117063)
Looks like work has FINALLY resumed and there is a large portable crane on site now which I would presume is to install a tower crane. Hopefully, this will start going up soon!

Awesome!!! Nice improvements to the skyline going up with Luhrs, Portland, UA and hopefully Central Station. Progress has accelerated on the little hotel remodel next to Portland on central. Also, Illuminate is breaking above the fence now.

poconoboy61 Aug 4, 2015 1:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwwolfe (Post 7115649)
Anybody know what's up with the trees they're planting in the Vacant lot on the west side of Central at Glenrosa?

Community garden. It looks like the owner is trying to also get a permit to sell some of the produce grown on site.

biggus diggus Aug 4, 2015 1:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 7116981)
"Across" from the Phoenix Art Museum. NWC of Central Ave. and McDowell NOT the one east of the museum.

Oh, shoot, I keep forgetting that across can only mean one of four sides.

Don't be a rude little child, the lot I asked about, and thought you were referring to, is also across the street from the art museum.

biggus diggus Aug 4, 2015 1:28 AM

@sky51 thanks for the pictures, there sure is a lot going on up and down 7th and 12th isn't there?

biggus diggus Aug 4, 2015 1:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7117125)
Awesome!!! Nice improvements to the skyline going up with Luhrs, Portland, UA and hopefully Central Station. Progress has accelerated on the little hotel remodel next to Portland on central. Also, Illuminate is breaking above the fence now.

I heard they were going to tear down the taco shop as well to build apartments at fourth and Roosevelt, that would be a nice addition as well.

combusean Aug 4, 2015 3:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7117193)
@sky51 thanks for the pictures, there sure is a lot going on up and down 7th and 12th isn't there?

Not sure if you saw this from the previous page, but in addition to "@51" wrapping up and what sky51 posted, there's two more apartment redevelopments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean
There are two more proposed apartment complexes in addition to the two that are nearing completion around 16th and Camelback.

http://azbex.com/vantrust-to-develop...t-arbor-court/

http://azbex.com/phx-infill-project-tops-500-units/

I notice @51 is also notable for having a restaurant and rooftop nightclub and pool--mixed use far outside the core. Definitely a unique development for Phoenix.

PHXFlyer11 Aug 4, 2015 3:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7117197)
I heard they were going to tear down the taco shop as well to build apartments at fourth and Roosevelt, that would be a nice addition as well.

Not happy about that one. That intersection will lose all character. Although, the density will be impressive with 4-8 stories on every corner.

ASUSunDevil Aug 4, 2015 4:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7117325)
I notice @51 is also notable for having a restaurant and rooftop nightclub and pool--mixed use far outside the core. Definitely a unique development for Phoenix.

That's because Smithfield is an excellent developer. We can expect Central Station to be a great project ~ this was recently posted on @51's website:

"In addition to @51, Smithfield recently completed the architecturally acclaimed Domus apartments. They have also been selected by the city of Phoenix to develop a 35-story residential tower in downtown Phoenix, known as Central Station."

:cheers:

nickw252 Aug 4, 2015 1:25 PM

I just looked at the @51 website - looks like a great property but it's expensive! Starting at $1,210 for a studio seems very steep, and in the $2,800 range for a 2 bedroom - at those prices you could live in 44 Monroe.

biggus diggus Aug 4, 2015 1:41 PM

They are the bums behind domus, which started out very expensive and has since come back to reality.

ASUSunDevil Aug 4, 2015 5:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7117555)
They are the bums behind domus, which started out very expensive and has since come back to reality.

I wish Phoenix had more "bums" like Smithfield. All of their developments look great. Compare these rents to 'architecturally significant' apartments in other cities - your opinion will probably change. I'm ecstatic that they have expanded from Chicago into the Phoenix market.

http://www.nab-magazine.com/index.ph...eld-properties

poconoboy61 Aug 4, 2015 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 7117541)
I just looked at the @51 website - looks like a great property but it's expensive! Starting at $1,210 for a studio seems very steep, and in the $2,800 range for a 2 bedroom - at those prices you could live in 44 Monroe.

It must be trying to attract a higher earning segment of the population. You can rent a newer 3 bedroom house in most parts of the Valley for what they're charging for rent. It seems extreme, especially given that it's not even really in a walkable, urban neighborhood.

PHXFlyer11 Aug 4, 2015 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poconoboy61 (Post 7117849)
It must be trying to attract a higher earning segment of the population. You can rent a newer 3 bedroom house in most parts of the Valley for what they're charging for rent. It seems extreme, especially given that it's not even really in a walkable, urban neighborhood.

It's a cool concept, but does anyone else thinks these look like cheap dorms?

ASUSunDevil Aug 4, 2015 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poconoboy61 (Post 7117849)

@51 is a stone's throw from all of the new restaurants on 7th St. and Missouri. Also, you're not going to find a rooftop pool/lounge at a 3 bedroom house in the suburbs ;) The high earning "millennial" is willing to pay for a lifestyle that the suburbs can't provide. I guarantee these fill up fast.

combusean Aug 4, 2015 9:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7117555)

Bums? What could be bummy about Domus? That's an incredibly high-quality development that replaced a lot of forgetful crap.

biggus diggus Aug 4, 2015 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7118187)
Bums? What could be bummy about Domus? That's an incredibly high-quality development that replaced a lot of forgetful crap.

"incredibly high quality"?? have you been in there? :yuck:

combusean Aug 4, 2015 10:12 PM

^ What's wrong with it? It's steel-framed and not stucco with great curb appeal, which is extremely rare for Phoenix.

ct424 Aug 4, 2015 10:23 PM

Roosevelt on 5th

Was looking around on the Phoenix Plan Reviews site and came across some info for "Roosevelt on 5th" at 504 E Roosevelt (which I believe is that small vacant lot right next to Artisan Village)

It mentions a 3 story mixed use building (13,487 SF).

Tomecak Design is listed as the contractor. Their site appears to be down, but saw this on a cached version. Not sure it's the same project (or if this is something old), but if so this sounds like it'd be a great addition for that lot:

Roosevelt 10
Description: Ground-Up Multi-Family Lofts located in the Arts District of downtown Phoenix.5,000 sf of retail, 10 one-bedroom units above with a sky deck.
Area: 10,000 sf

I don't think I've read anything about this. Anyone know anything?

biggus diggus Aug 4, 2015 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7118210)
^ What's wrong with it? It's steel-framed and not stucco with great curb appeal, which is extremely rare for Phoenix.

I've toured it during and after construction, the floors are creaky and walls thin. It gives the illusion of better-than-average construction quality but in reality is the same thing being built all over town but with a prettier facade. Where they really screwed up, in my opinion, is on the small size appliances, for the prices they are asking people are expecting more luxurious finishes.

nickw252 Aug 5, 2015 12:05 AM

Does anyone remember the small project that was proposed for 2nd Ave right behind the new YMCA - Cooper Place? The most recent permits on the City of Phoenix website are from early 2014:

Quote:

Description/Scope of Work:

TYPE OF BUSINESS:MULTI-RESIDENTIAL
LOG #: LPRN 1400192
PROJECT #: 12-2815
DESCRIPTION OF WORK: CONSTRUCTION OF A NEW 30-UNIT APARTMENT BLD AND REQUISITE CIVIL/LANDSCAPE IMPROVEMENTS. 4 STORY
BUILDING (TYPE VA) ATOP 1-STORY PARKING (TYPE IA), PER IBC 510.4. TOTAL OCCUPANCY LOAD = 39. LOCATED ON WESTSIDE OF SECOND
AVE BETWEEN FILLMORE AND MONROE. CURRENTLY PARKING & SMALL BUILDING ON SITE.
SITE WORK FOR BUILDING(S): THE COOPER - MULIT-FAMILY URBAN INFILL
I had high hopes for the project, even though it was small, because it was filling in a parking lot and bringing additional density to the area.

I haven't heard anything about the project in about a year and this website says that it was supposed to be finished in February 2015.