SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

Martin Pal May 27, 2022 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger (Post 9634850)
The curious fountain appears to be a figure of a tyke dressed as a firefighter, with a trickle of water continuously flowing from the firehose he's holding.

https://i.postimg.cc/TYqtXZ7C/Fountain-2.jpg
_________________________________________________________________


Thanks so much for doing this!

That statue reminded me of Billy Barty in his rain slicker in The Gold Diggers of 1933!

http://pre-code.com/wp-content/uploa...ggers19337.gif

CaliNative May 27, 2022 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHuntington (Post 9634801)
________________

Concur enough with CaliNative that I'll climb out on a limb and state my belief that the photographer is standing with his (likely) back to Valley Blvd. (note the billboards halfway up the right edge of the frame) just beyond Eastern Ave. and is shooting northeasterly across the SP Sunset Route main line (note the signal bridge halfway up the left edge of the frame) and across Alhambra Ave. (note the low white posts for the guard rail) toward the low buildings at the bottom of the knoll in the center of the image.

I'm not sure what the photographer was trying to capture, let alone why. Santa Fe wines were popular in L.A. back in the day, but there doesn't seem to be anything more solid than labels for sale on-line. I wasn't able to turn up a "Dee" commercial reference in the neighborhood via the CD. But the railroad location with respect to streets and the knoll look to me to be about as definitive as I can get. As near as I can make out the license plates on the cars in the "Dee" lot, the image seems to date from about 1941.

Further thoughts?

That would place it near modern northern end of Cal. St. L.A. & end of Long Beach Freeway, correct? Photo looking north? I guess that would be near south border of El Sereno? Southern boundary of El Sereno is Valley Blvd., correct? Could it be in a more central or northern part of El Sereno, like along Huntington? Or is Valley pretty definitive? I guess the RR tracks makes it pretty sure. The area looks familiar to me because I got a masters degree at CSULA about 30 yrs ago.

We students used to go to a tasty hole-in-the wall pizza joint on Valley but I forget the name. The name started with a "G", all I remember. I think it was an Italian name. The place looked like a dive but had good fresh made brick oven pizza and beer.

ethereal_reality May 27, 2022 9:29 PM

.
mystery location found.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir_Noir (Post 9633141)

etherealreality
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/3NkGSz.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/seJa9e.jpg
The Pacific Apartments building these days at 2500 Pacific Avenue in Venice.
GSV

Thanks, Noir Noir! :)

...We've lost so many notable buildings and yet this nondescript, rather cheap looking, apartment building survives.....There is no God.


.

ethereal_reality May 27, 2022 9:58 PM

.
We have feet on the ground, folks!


Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger (Post 9634850)

Here's the results of my surveillance mission.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/ORKjfE.jpg

You are hereby awarded - - - -> this guy - - - > :worship:






..........................Did you kill the poor bee?
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/3...923/ehPVIa.jpg
..............................



HenryHuntington May 27, 2022 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9635543)
That would place it near modern northern end of Cal. St. L.A. & end of Long Beach Freeway, correct? Photo looking north? I guess that would be near south border of El Sereno? Southern boundary of El Sereno is Valley Blvd., correct? Could it be in a more central or northern part of El Sereno, like along Huntington? Or is Valley pretty definitive? I guess the RR tracks makes it pretty sure. The area looks familiar to me because I got a masters degree at CSULA about 30 yrs ago.

We students used to go to a tasty hole-in-the wall pizza joint on Valley but I forget the name. The name started with a "G", all I remember. I think it was an Italian name. The place looked like a dive but had good fresh made brick oven pizza and beer.

____________

Garfono's Pizza was a rite-of-passage for generations of CSULA students back in the day. I was on campus 1967-8 (undergrad) and 1971-2 (grad school) wrapped around a couple of years taking care of Uncle Sam's business, mostly out of the country. If you know what I mean.

As to the location of the photo, IMO, it's a tad west of campus, but not far. And I think it's looking NNE. Zen master: "We'll see."

CaliNative May 27, 2022 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHuntington (Post 9635577)
____________

Garfono's Pizza was a rite-of-passage for generations of CSULA students back in the day. I was on campus 1967-8 (undergrad) and 1971-2 (grad school) wrapped around a couple of years taking care of Uncle Sam's business, mostly out of the country. If you know what I mean.

As to the location of the photo, IMO, it's a tad west of campus, but not far. And I think it's looking NNE. Zen master: "We'll see."

Yes, Garfono's was the place. Ate and studied there quite a few times, or grabbed some pizza after class. Better than the food on campus back then. Always lots of students and some of the profs ate there too. One time in 1990 our prof. took our small seminar class there for pizza and we held the seminar there over beer and pizza. We were all over 21. Good memories. Thanks.

Noir_Noir May 28, 2022 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9632659)
.
Mystery location.

Orig 1950s Los Angeles? California DEE 2.5" Photo Negative..(link below photo)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/Tvitkp.jpg
Link


Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9635543)
That would place it near modern northern end of Cal. St. L.A. & end of Long Beach Freeway, correct? Photo looking north? I guess that would be near south border of El Sereno? Southern boundary of El Sereno is Valley Blvd., correct? Could it be in a more central or northern part of El Sereno, like along Huntington? Or is Valley pretty definitive? I guess the RR tracks makes it pretty sure. The area looks familiar to me because I got a masters degree at CSULA about 30 yrs ago.


I think you're hot on the trail there CaliNative. :tup:


There was a Dee Market at 4645 Huntington Drive South.


https://i.imgur.com/FmYz3wH.jpg
cdnc.ucr.edu - El Sereno Star,15 September 1955


I think this is it arrowed red on a 1956 aerial.


https://i.imgur.com/HOrvllw.jpg
mil.library.ucsb.edu


The photographer would have been facing along the blue arrowed line.

You can see V-shaped billboards similar to the one caught to the right of the original picture.


View nowadays in the same direction from Huntington Drive at the rear of 4645 Huntington Dr South.

https://i.imgur.com/of9P7KR.jpg
GSV

ethereal_reality May 28, 2022 3:33 AM

.
:previous: You've done it!


I wonder if there are remnants of the house on the hill. ....salivates

.

CaliNative May 28, 2022 6:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir_Noir (Post 9635634)
I think you're hot on the trail there CaliNative. :tup:


There was a Dee Market at 4645 Huntington Drive South.


https://i.imgur.com/FmYz3wH.jpg
cdnc.ucr.edu - El Sereno Star,15 September 1955

I think this is it arrowed red on a 1956 aerial.


https://i.imgur.com/HOrvllw.jpg
mil.library.ucsb.edu


The photographer would have been facing along the blue arrowed line.

You can see V-shaped billboards similar to the one caught to the right of the original picture.


View nowadays in the same direction from Huntington Drive at the rear of 4645 Huntington Dr South.

https://i.imgur.com/of9P7KR.jpg
GSV

:previous:
Sometimes wild guesses and race track long shots come in (how about that long shot in the K. Derby a couple of weeks ago?) and sometimes a blind pig finds a truffle. Maybe the RR tracks in the old photo are red car (Pac. Electric)? Wasn't there a line on Huntington way back in the 1950s & before? "Henry Huntington" my fellow CSULA alum came close to the location too, and he remembered the name of the pizza joint I used to eat at on Valley, Garofolo's. He deserves an equal share of credit, and of course you deserve the most credit for finding the actual address of Dee market.

Noir_Noir May 28, 2022 2:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9635692)
.
:previous: Are there remnants of the house on the hill? ....salivates



There's a Flying Saucer up there. :eek:


https://i.imgur.com/pdylq5M.jpg
Google Maps



Hang on a sec, I'll have a closer look ... it's a big trampoline.


https://i.imgur.com/ECy4EsW.jpg
realtor.com


The lot for sale is numbered 4747 Hillsdale Dr. but that does not bring up any permits for a house that would have been demolished.


As for remnants, there is some structure off to the left of the trampoline but I cannot make out what it is.


https://i.imgur.com/3AuMr0j.jpg
Google Earth


https://i.imgur.com/Wur0ihc.jpg
realtor.com


:shrug:

CaliNative May 29, 2022 1:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir_Noir (Post 9635825)
There's a Flying Saucer up there. :eek:


https://i.imgur.com/pdylq5M.jpg
Google Maps



Hang on a sec, I'll have a closer look ... it's a big trampoline.


https://i.imgur.com/ECy4EsW.jpg
realtor.com


The lot for sale is numbered 4747 Hillsdale Dr. but that does not bring up any permits for a house that would have been demolished.


As for remnants, there is some structure off to the left of the trampoline but I cannot make out what it is.


https://i.imgur.com/3AuMr0j.jpg
Google Earth


https://i.imgur.com/Wur0ihc.jpg
realtor.com


:shrug:

El Sereno, the next Highland Park? Just a short drive up Huntington to chi chi South Pasadena.

HenryHuntington May 29, 2022 2:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9635748)
:previous:
Sometimes wild guesses and race track long shots come in (how about that long shot in the K. Derby a couple of weeks ago?) and sometimes a blind pig finds a truffle. Maybe the RR tracks in the old photo are red car (Pac. Electric)? Wasn't there a line on Huntington way back in the 1950s & before? "Henry Huntington" my fellow CSULA alum came close to the location too, and he remembered the name of the pizza joint I used to eat at on Valley, Garofolo's. He deserves an equal share of credit, and of course you deserve the most credit for finding the actual address of Dee market.

____________

PE's four-track Northern District trunk line did indeed run in the median of Huntington Drive. Actually, the PE was there first. I didn't make out the overhead catenary that was partly supported by the signal bridges like the one shown, so that led me to Valley Blvd.

Congrats to Noir_Noir for getting the right answer! And thanks for sharing your experiences at CSULA, CaliNative! Brought back lots of memories.

CaliNative May 29, 2022 2:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHuntington (Post 9636131)
____________

PE's four-track Northern District trunk line did indeed run in the median of Huntington Drive. Actually, the PE was there first. I didn't make out the overhead catenary that was partly supported by the signal bridges like the one shown, so that led me to Valley Blvd.

Congrats to Noir_Noir for getting the right answer! And thanks for sharing your experiences at CSULA, CaliNative! Brought back lots of memories.

When did the last PE train run on Huntington Drive? Mid '50s? The trains to Long Beach from L.A. ran until about 1960, right? I remember seeing them when I was a small child, and a few if the "yellow car" trolleys as well downtown. I think I saw them on Slauson as well, before the "Roger Rabbit" conspiracy took them all away. My fondest memory is of the Richfield tower all lit up on cold winter nights. That was a special building. Getting the 52 story ARCO twins seemed exciting at the time, but we gave up an art deco masterpiece to get them. I also remember going to a Dodger game with my parents in the Colosseum around 1959. That short fence with the netting was something. Saw Wally Moon hit a "moonshot" over it.

HenryHuntington May 30, 2022 2:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9636256)
When did the last PE train run on Huntington Drive? Mid '50s? The trains to Long Beach from L.A. ran until about 1960, right? I remember seeing them when I was a small child, and a few if the "yellow car" trolleys as well downtown. I think I saw them on Slauson as well, before the "Roger Rabbit" conspiracy took them all away. My fondest memory is of the Richfield tower all lit up on cold winter nights. That was a special building. Getting the 52 story ARCO twins seemed exciting at the time, but we gave up an art deco masterpiece to get them. I also remember going to a Dodger game with my parents in the Colosseum around 1959. That short fence with the netting was something. Saw Wally Moon hit a "moonshot" over it.

______________

Passenger service on Huntington Drive ended on September 30, 1951. PE built a connector from its San Bernardino Line in Baldwin Park to its Glendora Line in Azusa c.1952 to serve customers eastward from Arcadia so that it could abandon the Huntington Drive trackage altogether. The connector still serves the brewery adjacent to the 210 freeway and perhaps some other customers up that way.

Passenger service to Long Beach ended on April 6, 1961: the last of the Big Red Cars. The former "Yellow Car" streetcar lines in central Los Angeles were discontinued on March 30, 1963.

Sic transit gloria, etc.!

ethereal_reality May 30, 2022 4:14 AM

.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir_Noir (Post 9635825)

I was staring at Noir Noir's 'UFO' (trampoline) and thought, "I wonder what the Chemosphere looks like on Google Earth.", so I looked it up and noticed two round objects in neighboring yards.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/qaHXmy.jpg
Google Earth




Playing around with the image, (north is, now, on the right) I noticed a set of mysterious stairs.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/Z55p1i.jpg





And when I turned the image again (to get a better view) I realized that the stairs were much longer(!) than I first imagined.


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/SOr40n.jpg

Is anyone familiar with these stairs? . . .If so, are they public or private stairs? ....And what, pray tell, is the cube-like building at the end? (or is that the beginning?)


I'm stumped, folks....:shrug:


You can checked it out for yourself Here
.

CaliNative May 30, 2022 9:22 AM

"City Boy" Doug hasn't posted for a while. Everything OK Doug?

ethereal_reality May 30, 2022 4:22 PM

.
Newsboy Strike / mystery location.


"Orig 1950s Los Angeles Newsstand Newsboy Strike LA CA California Photo Negative"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/EYk4yn.jpg
eBay

Perhaps we can figure out the location by using the See's Candy Store as a clue.


update:

Or perhaps not. There were 124 stores in the 1950s. :stunned:

.

ethereal_reality May 30, 2022 4:54 PM

.
mystery apartment building.

Here's another negative. This one taken in Venice CA.

"Orig 1950 Venice Los Angeles Bridge California LA CA 2.5" Photo Negative"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/LOuvHn.jpg
eBay


I'm trying to figure out if the unique apartment is still standing. Does it look familiar to anyone?


.

AlvaroLegido May 30, 2022 6:06 PM

Cbd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9636677)
"City Boy" Doug hasn't posted for a while. Everything OK Doug?

He's been banned for being too much controversial however I miss his non-polemic posts which often brought a singular and informative stuff well matched to NLA.

Noir_Noir May 30, 2022 6:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9636851)
.
Newsboy Strike / mystery location.


"Orig 1950s Los Angeles Newsstand Newsboy Strike LA CA California Photo Negative"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/EYk4yn.jpg
eBay

Perhaps we can figure out the location by using the See's Candy Store as a clue.


update:

Or perhaps not. There were 124 stores in the 1950s. :stunned:

.



He's right up by MacArthur Park on W. 7th St.

The See's Candies store was at 2030 W. 7th and the Citizens Bank at 2044.


The Olympic Hotel rooftop sign still peeking over now as then.


https://i.imgur.com/IvPxcUk.jpg
GSV


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.