SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

SlidellWx Jul 31, 2021 4:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9354443)
Is that 55% of the total population or the eligible (12+) population?

Total population. Highest vaccination rate in the state.

homebucket Jul 31, 2021 6:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlidellWx (Post 9354461)
Total population. Highest vaccination rate in the state.

That's actually pretty impressive. Orange County is only at 56%, LA County is at 54%, and SD is downright awful at 44%. Socal forumers, y'all need to slap some sense into your neighbors!

10023 Jul 31, 2021 9:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlidellWx (Post 9354406)
Mask mandate back in effect in New Orleans despite 55% fully vaccinated in the city. Mainly due to exploding cases in surrounding parishes and states since we get a lot of visitors. No other restrictions, so everything is open as usual. Several music clubs and restaurants are now only allowing fully vaxxed inside which I fully support.

What do you have to give as proof of vaccination? Just the paper CDC card?

I’m really worried about what happens when that thing that all creased and dog-eared or spilled on. It’s not exactly wallet size or durable.

the urban politician Jul 31, 2021 10:46 AM

^ Mine is laminated

10023 Jul 31, 2021 2:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9354499)
^ Mine is laminated

Can you do that yourself or do you have a different card? Good idea though. Need to find a place that can do that.

Camelback Jul 31, 2021 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9354546)
Can you do that yourself or do you have a different card? Good idea though. Need to find a place that can do that.

Just go to a FedEx store.

I have mine somewhere in my glove box. I've never had to show my papers, yet.

SlidellWx Jul 31, 2021 2:54 PM

The business owners will accept the card or digital certificate. Louisiana has a digital vaccine certificate that any resident can download for free. It's through the LA Wallet app. The digital certificate also links directly to CommonPass, so it can also be used for travel purposes.

10023 Jul 31, 2021 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlidellWx (Post 9354572)
The business owners will accept the card or digital certificate. Louisiana has a digital vaccine certificate that any resident can download for free. It's through the LA Wallet app. The digital certificate also links directly to CommonPass, so it can also be used for travel purposes.

And if you got doses in two different states? I suspect that is going to be quite common in the US.

iheartthed Jul 31, 2021 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9354496)
What do you have to give as proof of vaccination? Just the paper CDC card?

I’m really worried about what happens when that thing that all creased and dog-eared or spilled on. It’s not exactly wallet size or durable.

NY has a phone app called the Excelsior pass. I haven't set it up yet though, since most places are still on the honor system around here. The places I've gone that ask for proof have accepted seeing a picture of the CDC card from my phone and comparing it to my drivers license.

JManc Jul 31, 2021 4:41 PM

As long as a phone pic of the CDC card remains adequate otherwise I'm not carrying around my physical CDC card. Texas refuses to issue an analogue to the Excelsior Pass or whatever Louisiana's doing.

hauntedheadnc Jul 31, 2021 6:46 PM

A trip to Wal-Mart today showed us that about half the shoppers were back to wearing masks. That was a bit frightening, because if Wal-Mart shoppers in South Carolina are unnerved enough to mask up, it's serious.

MolsonExport Jul 31, 2021 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9354614)
Yes, that was exactly my point :rolleyes:

Why am I not surprised you found a way to twist what I wrote?



If you consider this a "human tragedy" it doesn't sound like you understand who this virus is killing because it isn't killing healthy young people, it's really only killing the gravely ill and/or very elderly that only have about a year left to live anyway. That's not a tragedy

What's more, the fear mongering isn't nonsensical at all, it makes perfect sense because fear sells. If the media were honest about covid and provided comprehensive facts about it far fewer of you would be scared but of course they don't do that because they desperately want readers/viewers so they offer misleading info to scare people. You people here are proof of how well it's worked because someone like me comes along with government data proving this thing isn't dangerous and the vast majority of you people here pushback you've all been brainwashed so well which just goes to show it's easier to trick people than to convince them they've been tricked

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

craigs Jul 31, 2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9354477)
That's actually pretty impressive. Orange County is only at 56%, LA County is at 54%, and SD is downright awful at 44%. Socal forumers, y'all need to slap some sense into your neighbors!

According to the LA County COVID vaccine dashboard, as of July 25th, 62% of LA County residents who are 16 years and older are fully vaccinated, and 71% have received at least one dose so far.

Camelback Jul 31, 2021 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigs (Post 9354724)
According to the LA County COVID vaccine dashboard, as of July 25th, 62% of LA County residents who are 16 years and older are fully vaccinated, and 71% have received at least one dose so far.

16 or 12 and older? I thought most counties do the latter?

Camelback Jul 31, 2021 10:56 PM

Maricopa County:

As of 7/27/2021:
Quote:

*More vaccines were given last week (7/18-7/24) than either of the 2 previous weeks!
*Last week, Maricopa County residents received the most 1st vaccine doses since early June!
*Over 2.1 million Maricopa County residents have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine.
*Almost 4 million COVID-19 vaccine doses have been given to Maricopa County residents.
>48% of all Maricopa County residents, >55% of Maricopa County residents 10 years and older, and >59% of Maricopa County residents 18 years and older have received at least 1 dose of COVID-19 vaccine.
https://www.maricopa.gov/5671/Public-Vaccine-Data


Looks like Maricopa County is nearly identical to LA County.
59% of Maricopa County residents 18+ vaxxed
62% of LA County residents 16+ vaxxed

homebucket Aug 1, 2021 1:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigs (Post 9354724)
According to the LA County COVID vaccine dashboard, as of July 25th, 62% of LA County residents who are 16 years and older are fully vaccinated, and 71% have received at least one dose so far.

I understand the rationale for only looking at the eligible population, but I believe it gives us a false sense of security, since COVID can infect the unvaccinated of any age. I would also only look at the population that is fully vaccinated too, as we know that only one dose offers much less protection.

Anyway, regardless of which subgroup of the population you look at, it's clear that LA has fallen behind. For 12+ most of the Bay Area counties are at 72-78% fully vaccinated. If LA county is at 62% fully vaccinated for 16+, it's reasonable to assume that for 12+ it's actually lower than 62% since we know that there is a drop off in vaccination rates in the 12-15 age group.

xzmattzx Aug 1, 2021 5:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9354611)
As long as a phone pic of the CDC card remains adequate otherwise I'm not carrying around my physical CDC card. Texas refuses to issue an analogue to the Excelsior Pass or whatever Louisiana's doing.

I have only had to show my CDC card when buying game tickets to a Phillies game in Cincinnati. Fully-vaccinated people could get tickets for $10 each, and I chose to do that. I showed a picture on my phone of the card.

Delaware does not have any app where you have a digital version of the CDC card. I don't imagine they will plan on doing that. We are a blue state with Democratic politicians up and down the line, by the way. Our Democratic Governor has apparently said a mask mandate will not be brought back, even with the Delta variant. Our state government and Governor has been pretty pragmatic about mandates and restrictions throughout the pandemic.

the urban politician Aug 1, 2021 1:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9354614)

If you consider this a "human tragedy" it doesn't sound like you understand who this virus is killing because it isn't killing healthy young people, it's really only killing the gravely ill and/or very elderly that only have about a year left to live anyway. That's not a tragedy

What's more, the fear mongering isn't nonsensical at all, it makes perfect sense because fear sells. If the media were honest about covid and provided comprehensive facts about it far fewer of you would be scared but of course they don't do that because they desperately want readers/viewers so they offer misleading info to scare people. You people here are proof of how well it's worked because someone like me comes along with government data proving this thing isn't dangerous and the vast majority of you people here pushback you've all been brainwashed so well which just goes to show it's easier to trick people than to convince them they've been tricked

You’ve got to be joking. I’ve been as level headed and non-freaked out about Covid as anyone. I agree it’s been hysteria.

But even I think you are being totally obtuse here. A virus that kills millions in just a year and a half is no joke. And you are wrong in saying that “only the weak and frail with 1 year to live died”. My coworker’s brother in law, a healthy 48 year old man in Kuwait, just died of Covid. He had not been vaccinated.

My major criticism today is that in the post vaccine world people are still stirring panic about Covid and that is just blatantly irresponsible. We keep counting Covid cases but it’s like a toothless tiger at this point. So what if cases are rising? Hospitalizations and death rates, ICU bed saturation rates are still very low except in areas where people think like you do and refuse the vaccine.

Covid is basically serving as a proxy for all respiratory viruses. When we have open restaurants, stores, festivals, then viruses circulate, as has happened throughout human history. I think most people don’t get that and are appalled and freaked out about all of this, but guess what? This is NORMAL.

MolsonExport Aug 1, 2021 2:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9354614)
Yes, that was exactly my point :rolleyes:

Why am I not surprised you found a way to twist what I wrote?



If you consider this a "human tragedy" it doesn't sound like you understand who this virus is killing because it isn't killing healthy young people, it's really only killing the gravely ill and/or very elderly that only have about a year left to live anyway. That's not a tragedy

What's more, the fear mongering isn't nonsensical at all, it makes perfect sense because fear sells. If the media were honest about covid and provided comprehensive facts about it far fewer of you would be scared but of course they don't do that because they desperately want readers/viewers so they offer misleading info to scare people. You people here are proof of how well it's worked because someone like me comes along with government data proving this thing isn't dangerous and the vast majority of you people here pushback you've all been brainwashed so well which just goes to show it's easier to trick people than to convince them they've been tricked


You are incessantly twisting the facts on covid, and therefore deliberately spreading misinformation on an extremely serious pandemic that has struck down millions of people. This should be grounds for a suspension from SSP.

You are certainly no Oskar Schindler. Just a coward who insists on arbitrarily dismissing the restrictions imposed by governments around the world to protect their citizens, instead of just getting the vaccine. Do your part, and stop being so selfish.

MolsonExport Aug 1, 2021 2:14 PM

Modelers Suggest Pandemic Lockdowns Saved Millions From Dying Of COVID-19

Covid lockdown: Seven enduring claims fact-checked

US could have averted 40% of Covid deaths, says panel

hauntedheadnc Aug 1, 2021 5:09 PM

You know, didn't someone let slip a while back that forumer SLO had covid? What ever happened to him?

MolsonExport Aug 1, 2021 9:27 PM

^don't worry, Fill MyCavity is Philling in for SLO

Camelback Aug 1, 2021 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9352954)
If you leave your air-conditioned cave in a Phoenix July, you definitely need to shower more than once a day. :yes:

Or jump in the pool!

Usually 1 shower works though. I'll do 2 if I'm active or working out, wouldn't everybody else do the same? If not, that's weird. I usually take a shower before bed, just incase somebody else might be in the mood (which I have found to be around 8% of the time <---that's a joke, usually it's around 90-100%). <---j/k again.

:D

homebucket Aug 2, 2021 1:39 AM

Beautiful day at the ballpark today. Looks like things are pretty much back to normal here.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4a52f4aa_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2400d46a_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...64615037_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d4aea5ba_b.jpg

the urban politician Aug 2, 2021 2:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9355022)



You posted one link to something I was mistaken about a while back and because of that "i'm deliberately spreading misinformation"? Not quite. Just because everything i've posted in this thread (and there's been a lot) hasn't been perfectly accurate doesn't mean the bulk of it hasn't been and as far as "grounds for a suspension from SSP", i'm really amazed that someone who is easily the biggest troll i've ever encountered anywhere is still allowed here. I've never met anyone who is anywhere near as patronizing, insulting, dismissive and condescending as you and yet i'm the one that should be banned? It's inexplicable to me why the mods here continue to tolerate you

Put that axe-grinder nitwit on your ignore list like I have. He’s got issues.

But still, you need to come to terms with realty about Covid. You’ve been listening to the wrong people. There is a middle ground between the buttholes at CNN who want to make this last forever, and the people who think that Covid is one giant hoax

dave8721 Aug 2, 2021 5:58 AM

We're #1 :uhh:
https://wsvn.com/news/local/miami-da...delta-variant/

Quote:

Miami-Dade, Broward lead US in hospital admissions for critical care due to delta variant

MIAMI (WSVN) - Miami-Dade and Broward counties now lead the U.S. in the number of hospital admissions for critical care, as cases of COVID-19 surge in South Florida due to the delta variant.

Video from Memorial Healthcare System captured a busy intensive care unit at Memorial Hospital West in Miramar.

Hospital officials said the ICU has nearly reached capacity with critical COVID-19 patients.

“Most of these patients are in their 30s, their 40s and 50s,” Memorial Hospital Nurse Manager Juana Mejía said.

10023 Aug 2, 2021 7:59 AM

^ “their 30s, 40s and 50s”… and what’s the breakdown between those very different age groups?

Leading the US doesn’t mean a whole lot when overall numbers are down, and 96% of these people are unvaccinated (by choice). So who cares?

eschaton Aug 2, 2021 1:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9355441)
^ “their 30s, 40s and 50s”… and what’s the breakdown between those very different age groups?

Leading the US doesn’t mean a whole lot when overall numbers are down, and 96% of these people are unvaccinated (by choice). So who cares?

Florida currently has 10,600 hospitalized. Not the most ever, but only around 1,000 below the peak last summer and it's still rising rapidly.

10023 Aug 2, 2021 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 9355476)
Florida currently has 10,600 hospitalized. Not the most ever, but only around 1,000 below the peak last summer and it's still rising rapidly.

And 96% of them are unvaccinated, according to this article. So I do not care.

the urban politician Aug 2, 2021 1:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 9355427)

From the article:

Quote:

A total of 55 have been admitted into intensive care, and only one of the patients has been vaccinated.
The vaccine works. Proof is in the pudding. But amazing (and maddening) how so many people are still refusing it.

the urban politician Aug 2, 2021 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9355501)
And 96% of them are unvaccinated, according to this article. So I do not care.

I care only because the willfully unvaccinated are prolonging this crap.

And I’m pretty sure that the doctors and nurses in regions where there is poor vaccine compliance are getting fed up with this crap as well

Camelback Aug 2, 2021 2:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9355503)
From the article:



The vaccine works. Proof is in the pudding. But amazing (and maddening) how so many people are still refusing it.

10,600 cases.
55 in the ICU
1 in the ICU is fully vaccinated?

1 fully vaxxed patient out of a total 10,600 cases is in the ICU?
That's 0.009%

the urban politician Aug 2, 2021 2:04 PM

^ There may be hospitalized people who are NOT in the ICU who’ve been vaccinated as well, but I’m sure, as has borne out elsewhere, the ratio is probably very low

the urban politician Aug 2, 2021 2:05 PM

Pedestrian had Covid last week, his worst fear (even worse than clowns and spiders). We haven’t heard from him in a while. Pedestrian are you still alive?

Being that he’s all couped up in his basement, I fear that if he croaked nobody would know for about 5 weeks. Pedestrian! Where are you?

10023 Aug 2, 2021 2:08 PM

And ultimately there will always be people who are hospitalised or die from this, even if vaccinated, just as they are with flu. It may be that they are very old and frail, or that the vaccine just didn’t produce a strong immune response. That’s life.

People who are particularly vulnerable should probably be encouraged to get antibody tests done a few weeks after their second dose, to confirm that the vaccination “took”.

eschaton Aug 2, 2021 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9355501)
And 96% of them are unvaccinated, according to this article. So I do not care.

If hospitals ICU's are full, plenty of responsible people with non-COVID critical issues will be turned away.

I mean, it's the same reason we mandate seat belts. Not wearing one doesn't just impact you. First you could literally hit someone else going through the windshield. But more broadly those who don't wear seat belts drive up insurance costs (both auto and medical) for the rest of us.

eschaton Aug 2, 2021 2:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9355511)
10,600 cases.
55 in the ICU
1 in the ICU is fully vaccinated?

1 fully vaxxed patient out of a total 10,600 cases is in the ICU?
That's 0.009%

You're comparing apples and oranges here. 10,600 is for the whole state, and 55 in the ICU was for for a single hospital chain in the Miami area with 420 total COVID patients.

10023 Aug 2, 2021 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 9355539)
If hospitals ICU's are full, plenty of responsible people with non-COVID critical issues will be turned away.

I mean, it's the same reason we mandate seat belts. Not wearing one doesn't just impact you. First you could literally hit someone else going through the windshield. But more broadly those who don't wear seat belts drive up insurance costs (both auto and medical) for the rest of us.

That’s easy. Prioritise the non-Covid issues over unvaccinated Covid patients.

nito Aug 2, 2021 2:46 PM

Vaccines will never be 100% effective; but what they do excel at is rapidly reducing the possibility of getting ill, let alone hospitalised or die.

10023 you mentioned earlier that you don’t care that the people who are falling victim are overwhelmingly those who are unvaccinated, but you should care. Regardless of their ignorance and stupidity to not get vaccinated, more people dying or suffering long-term medical conditions will have an indirect cost on you, me and the rest of society. There was a father in his mid-30’s who died from Covid the other week, leaving behind two young kids who – from a statistical perspective – likely to experience more adverse life prospects.

homebucket Aug 2, 2021 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9355515)
Pedestrian had Covid last week, his worst fear (even worse than clowns and spiders). We haven’t heard from him in a while. Pedestrian are you still alive?

Being that he’s all couped up in his basement, I fear that if he croaked nobody would know for about 5 weeks. Pedestrian! Where are you?

Did he actually confirm that he tested positive? I thought he was just concerned about exposure after an office visit with his physician and went to get tested.

twister244 Aug 2, 2021 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nito (Post 9355561)
Vaccines will never be 100% effective; but what they do excel at is rapidly reducing the possibility of getting ill, let alone hospitalised or die.

10023 you mentioned earlier that you don’t care that the people who are falling victim are overwhelmingly those who are unvaccinated, but you should care. Regardless of their ignorance and stupidity to not get vaccinated, more people dying or suffering long-term medical conditions will have an indirect cost on you, me and the rest of society. There was a father in his mid-30’s who died from Covid the other week, leaving behind two young kids who – from a statistical perspective – likely to experience more adverse life prospects.

Then his kids will think twice about not getting a vaccine when the next big virus comes into their lives as adults.

Of course there are some indirect costs, but (as I have stated before), it's the only way you are going to convince these morons to get a vaccine. If they go through a major bout of covid, or start seeing their friends and family falling to this thing, that's a very real impact on them directly that will do way more to communicate the importance of a vaccine than seeing online social media posts.

This is why some of us don't care. I can't feel sympathy for people who spit in the face of science and willfully choose to put themselves at risk. People do this with risk all the time, but you can't fix stupid.

the urban politician Aug 2, 2021 6:02 PM

Whether or not you agree with, or even like this man, he basically isn’t wrong here:

Video Link

Camelback Aug 2, 2021 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 9355544)
You're comparing apples and oranges here. 10,600 is for the whole state, and 55 in the ICU was for for a single hospital chain in the Miami area with 420 total COVID patients.

I see.

The wording of the article could be better. It also says that Florida has had 100,000 cases of covid this week.

96% of those that went to the hospital in Miami-Dade are unvaccinated (sounds like the vaccines are working as advertised).

Sounds like we stay the course and all the panic porn is just that, fear generated for you and I to click and share links.

10023 Aug 2, 2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nito (Post 9355561)
Vaccines will never be 100% effective; but what they do excel at is rapidly reducing the possibility of getting ill, let alone hospitalised or die.

10023 you mentioned earlier that you don’t care that the people who are falling victim are overwhelmingly those who are unvaccinated, but you should care. Regardless of their ignorance and stupidity to not get vaccinated, more people dying or suffering long-term medical conditions will have an indirect cost on you, me and the rest of society. There was a father in his mid-30’s who died from Covid the other week, leaving behind two young kids who – from a statistical perspective – likely to experience more adverse life prospects.

Great. Probably on benefits anyway.

Covid isn’t going away and neither are the deaths from it. Everyone has the opportunity to get vaccinated. That’s all you can reasonably do.

edale Aug 2, 2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9355870)
Great. Probably on benefits anyway.

ok this is really gross.

JManc Aug 2, 2021 11:09 PM

You can make some pretty leveled head points like this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9355870)
Covid isn’t going away and neither are the deaths from it. Everyone has the opportunity to get vaccinated. That’s all you can reasonably do.

...but then say some really outlandish shit like this:


Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9355870)
Great. Probably on benefits anyway.


Pedestrian Aug 2, 2021 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9355629)
This is why some of us don't care. I can't feel sympathy for people who spit in the face of science and willfully choose to put themselves at risk. People do this with risk all the time, but you can't fix stupid.

Again and again and again: You should care, not for them but because they are breeding the vaccine-resistant virus that may eventually get any of us who are vaccinated because we are not keeping up in developing and testing new vaccines as fast as the virus is creating new "variants" (although we probably could if the bureaucrats would get out of the way).

Pedestrian Aug 2, 2021 11:46 PM

Over the weekend it was said on one of the TV news shows that there were 7 ICU beds left in Austin. Good luck people.

JManc Aug 2, 2021 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9355929)
Again and again and again: You should care, not for them but because they are breeding the vaccine-resistant virus that may eventually get any of us who are vaccinated because we are not keeping up in developing and testing new vaccines as fast as the virus is creating new "variants" (although we probably could if the bureaucrats would get out of the way).

The problem is that this new round of lockdowns and mask mandates will be open ended because we won't have vaccines to look forward to because we're already vaccinated. Sure, there's boosters which might work for another six months until another variant renders them ineffective and then we'll be right back where we started from.

I get the precautions over Delta but I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Camelback Aug 2, 2021 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9355938)
Over the weekend it was said on one of the TV news shows that there were 7 ICU beds left in Austin. Good luck people.

It would be enlightening if the general public knew who was in the ICU.

# of Covid cases
age of those with Covid
of those, # of vaccinated or un-vaxxed
# with medical ailments

Unfortunately, we won't ever get that information, because we're supposed to remain in FEAR.

It's gonna get you and when it gets you, you're going to DIE!
- the media


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.