SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

thespiandave Dec 11, 2022 5:14 PM

Howdy! I snagged some updated pics this weekend of Central Station, Moon Tower, Skye and the skyline!

https://imgur.com/gallery/iwXu6Gg

FireMedic Dec 11, 2022 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespiandave (Post 9812756)
Howdy! I snagged some updated pics this weekend of Central Station, Moon Tower, Skye and the skyline!

https://imgur.com/gallery/iwXu6Gg

Now all I want is Astra 1 and Link 3

TllrSkyline-01 Dec 11, 2022 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireMedic (Post 9812788)
Now all I want is Astra 1 and Link 3

Agree - Astra will dramatically fill and raise the skyline!

PHX31 Dec 13, 2022 5:32 PM

Speaking of the YC's going in near Cibo on 5th Ave & Fillmore... didn't someone at one point post that the next phase of the development was starting construction on the SWC of 5th Ave & Fillmore ("The Fillmore"? can't remember the name)? Or was it just that the final building plans were submitted? Hopefully it'll be starting soon.

It would be great to finally fill in that empty lot and wall off the great portion of the Roosevelt neighborhood north of Fillmore from the sparse junky area south toward Van Buren. I can remember going to Cibo at some point after the Thomas J Pappas school was closed and demo'd (actually, probably before that happened too) thinking that whole area to the south with tons of empty lots will never be filled. Now, I imagine a dinner on the patio at Cibo is so much nicer being nestled amongst actual buildings to the south.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4548...7i16384!8i8192

---versus---

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4547...7i13312!8i6656

ASU Diablo Dec 13, 2022 6:13 PM

Proposed office complex, headquarters could bring 1,100 jobs to Valley

Interesting! Good news for the Valley.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-proposed.html
Quote:

The city of Phoenix is considering a development agreement for what the city says could be one of the first large-scale office announcements in the U.S. since the Covid-19 pandemic.

The new development is expected to include a 32-acre office campus with a 300,000-square-foot facility developed by Chevelle Properties LLC.

The first phase is estimated to total a $198 million investment and create or retain 1,100 high-wage jobs, according to a city report, which does not identify the developer or the potential company considering Phoenix for its headquarters due to a nondisclosure agreement.

Through codename "Project Christmas," the proposed development is associated with an upcoming Arizona State Land Department Auction scheduled for Dec. 27, according to state land documents. The state land department is holding an auction for about 35 acres close to the southwest corner of Tatum and Mayo boulevards for a minimum bid of $29.4 million.

The property is located in close proximity to the Desert Ridge Marketplace and the Mayo Clinic campus in north Phoenix near State Route 51 and Loop 101. The developer is currently undergoing due diligence on locations in the city of Phoenix, while a final site will be selected before they enter into a development agreement, according to the city report.

City documents say the developer is a "national leader" in its industry with annual revenue in the billions with thousands of locations across the U.S. It also says the "established and well-known" company will be able to call Phoenix home and provide thousands of jobs to residents. It's unclear if the developer and company are separate entities.

"Nationally this project would be one of the first large-scale office employment announcements since the pandemic and signifies a return to normal business and recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic," the city report added.

City to vote on development agreement
On Wednesday, Phoenix City Council is scheduled to vote on a development agreement with Chevelle Properties LLC to reimburse the developer for up to $5 million in public infrastructure improvements to support the new office project and surrounding area.

According to the Arizona Corporation Commission, Chevelle Properties LLC is connected to Phoenix law firm Salmon, Lewis & Weldon PLC and Harvard Business Services Inc., a business incorporation service in Delaware.

The public infrastructure improvements include street frontage and intersection upgrades, water and sewer main extensions along the frontage of the project and any other floodplain or other regional traffic improvements, city documents said.

The reimbursements will be funded annually through the city's strategic economic development fund and general fund portion of eligible transaction privilege tax revenue generated from the site for 10 years.

"These taxes shall be comprised primarily of the taxes relating to the construction and installation of the public infrastructure improvements, private infrastructure improvements, and build-out of the project," the city report said.

The development agreement will end a decade after the project is completed and city's acceptance of public infrastructure improvements.

The new office facility could be one of the largest proposed in recent months. Across the Valley, new class A office buildings have been proposed or completed in cities including Peoria, Goodyear and Phoenix. In addition, demand for premium office space has continued to stay strong, with the bulk of the Valley's leases signed in Q3 at class A properties.

RED Development's new The Grove project, a 180,000-square-foot office building in Phoenix's Arcadia neighborhood, is now fully leased to companies such as Sendoso, Clayco, Clear Sky Capital and more.

At the same time, technology companies including Tempe-based Carvana have continued to announce or plan mass layoffs across the U.S., but it's unclear how this has impacted the Phoenix metro.
https://i.postimg.cc/Qt0RSxz9/EE5119...C95-EF4-F5.jpg

MiEncanto Dec 13, 2022 6:43 PM

That is good news. It's nice to see so many employers on the north end of the city which is great for diversifying where people work and live. But I can't help but wince because when I saw the headline and development agreement, I was hoping for a HQ landing downtown. Or even midtown. I really think the missing link to downtown Phx is 1-2 fortune 500 company HQ and 2-3 midsize companies. At this rate it's only been education and government and I don't think that's diverse enough.

xymox Dec 13, 2022 6:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiEncanto (Post 9814486)
That is good news. It's nice to see so many employers on the north end of the city which is great for diversifying where people work and live. But I can't help but wince because when I saw the headline and development agreement, I was hoping for a HQ landing downtown. Or even midtown. I really think the missing link to downtown Phx is 1-2 fortune 500 company HQ and 2-3 midsize companies. At this rate it's only been education and government and I don't think that's diverse enough.

It's gonna be kinda ironic if all the people living downtown have to commute to the outskirts of the city for work (i.e. - this site or TSMC...). Hopefully someone will have the vision of what downtown can be with their presence and make it happen.

Obadno Dec 13, 2022 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xymox (Post 9814494)
It's gonna be kinda ironic if all the people living downtown have to commute to the outskirts of the city for work (i.e. - this site or TSMC...). Hopefully someone will have the vision of what downtown can be with their presence and make it happen.

I already do that, work in North Scottsdale live near midtown.

combusean Dec 13, 2022 8:18 PM

I was living downtown and looking for work and I found myself pretty much interviewing in a bulbous semicircle from 19th Ave/101 to 202/56th St. "Reverse commutes" have been a thing for a very long time.

300,000 sqft on 32 acres sounds like something from the 1980s though. I'm hoping they got this wrong and this is a multiphased thing with more diversity of uses and structured parking.

BA744PHX Dec 14, 2022 4:35 PM

Good Morning,

Potentially interesting development, anyone have an idea who this company might be?

The first phase is estimated to total a $198 million investment and create or retain 1,100 high-wage jobs, according to a city report, which does not identify the developer or the potential company considering Phoenix for its headquarters due to a nondisclosure agreement.

City documents say the developer is a "national leader" in its industry with annual revenue in the billions with thousands of locations across the U.S. It also says the "established and well-known" company will be able to call Phoenix home and provide thousands of jobs to residents. It's unclear if the developer and company are separate entities.

"Nationally this project would be one of the first large-scale office employment announcements since the pandemic and signifies a return to normal business and recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic," the city report added.

Obadno Dec 14, 2022 4:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BA744PHX (Post 9815310)
Good Morning,

Potentially interesting development, anyone have an idea who this company might be?

Considering the location I am going to go with Financial Services/Insurance like all of North Scottsdale.

But who knows, we have been getting lots of manufacturing maybe it will be something more unique. High Tech Equipment sales? German or Taiwanese companies that are part of semi-conductor and EV supply chains? who knows

RichTempe Dec 14, 2022 5:04 PM

Same article from yesterday

This is the same article/development that ASU Diablo posted yesterday:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BA744PHX (Post 9815310)
Good Morning,

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9814453)

IndyAZ Dec 14, 2022 5:38 PM

Key word in that article is "retain". I am aware of the company and its just a relocation/consolidation from nearby for a new updated facility. Not financial or semiconductor related.

BA744PHX Dec 14, 2022 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyAZ (Post 9815403)
Key word in that article is "retain". I am aware of the company and its just a relocation/consolidation from nearby for a new updated facility. Not financial or semiconductor related.

Ah, to me I understood this as a HQ relocating to Arizona

IndyAZ Dec 14, 2022 6:01 PM

Yeah the article is really misleading.

TheSpud0 Dec 28, 2022 1:00 AM

Discount Tire Headquarters

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301710373.html

Quote:

Discount Tire, a leading independent tire retailer, announced its intent to develop a new corporate headquarters in Phoenix following the acquisition of 35 acres located near Loop 101 and State Route 51. Discount Tire purchased the site at a recent Arizona State Land Department public auction. Proceeds from the sale will be invested by the state in the Permanent Land Endowment Trust Fund to benefit K-12 education in Arizona.

"Our commitment is to create the best, most positive experience for our People," said Michael Zuieback, chairman at Discount Tire. "We are pleased to acquire this property in Phoenix and begin work on an innovative, sustainable workspace that honors and strengthens the culture on which our company was founded. Together with the support of our partners at the City of Phoenix, Arizona Commerce Authority, and Governor Ducey's office, we are grateful for the opportunity to make more dreams come true."

Plans for a more than 300,000-square-foot office building and campus amenities are in the early stages. Development is expected to commence in phases, with the construction of infrastructure improvements beginning within 12 months. The announcement represents one of the largest economic development deals of its kind in recent years in Phoenix. Discount Tire, which has maintained its corporate headquarters in Arizona since 1970 while expanding operations across the U.S., was applauded by Gov. Doug Ducey for the purchase.

"Discount Tire is one of Arizona's greatest business success stories," said Governor Doug Ducey. "From Bruce Halle's first stores in Phoenix more than 50 years ago to growing to be the nation's premier tires and wheels retailer, Discount Tire has always done business while giving so much back to Arizona and our communities. I'm grateful to Chairman Zuieback and the entire Discount Tire team for their continued dedication to our state and look forward to many more decades of their success."

The future corporate campus will house Discount Tire's headquarters and the offices of The Diane & Bruce Halle Foundation, a leading provider of philanthropic resources to local communities across the state of Arizona.

"I could not be more excited that Discount Tire chose to maintain its local presence with this new headquarters in North Phoenix," said Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego. "The company's decision to locate here means 1,100 high-value jobs. Given Discount Tire's long history of growing its own talent, I suspect many a career will be launched at this new location. Plus, with Discount Tire ranking as one of the largest private companies in the U.S. and bringing its award-winning pedigree for being customer-centric, its presence further elevates Phoenix's reputation for excellence."

Discount Tire ranked as the No. 77 largest company on the "America's Largest Private Companies" list in 2022 and has been named a top employer in Arizona multiple times.

"Discount Tire's new headquarters in Phoenix marks an exciting new chapter for the company," said Sandra Watson, President and CEO of the Arizona Commerce Authority. "With this innovative corporate campus, Discount Tire joins Phoenix's vibrant business community poised for continued growth."

Special attention in the development will be paid to the native desert landscape, indigenous vegetation, and connectivity to nearby trails.

"We are incredibly excited about Discount Tire's development plans in Phoenix and believe their commitment to Desert Ridge will further enhance new quality business development in the area. Our workforce and the surrounding community will continue to benefit from this partnership," said Councilman Jim Waring, who represents this area of Phoenix.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Dec 28, 2022 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xymox (Post 9814494)

Yep, thankfully I work from home most of the week but I have to go to the office once a week which is around the 101 and 17. I live in midtown but I guess it’s kind of similar to people who live in San Francisco but work in Silicon Valley. I was actually in San Fran a few years ago and shared an Uber with a kid literally making that commute. At least my commute is not as far and it’s kind of nice because I’m going the opposite of the heavy traffic on the 17.

CrestedSaguaro Dec 30, 2022 10:05 PM

Vela Phoenix

I think it's a tad too early to post a dedicated thread on this, but it looks like Vela Phoenix (formerly Vela Roosevelt) has moved quite a bit. It has grown to a 293' tower (originally, FACT stated a 259' proposal). It looks a little basic. But from what I can tell, it will be an all glass and steel facade with the exception of the garage podium. Clayco would be the builder.

View all documents and markups in my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...TF?usp=sharing

West and North elevations:
https://i.imgur.com/Tkmoh2b.png

East and South elevations:
https://i.imgur.com/0Px8spF.png

somethingfast Dec 31, 2022 1:27 AM

all glass at 293' can be pretty nice. i'll take modern glass over all this smooth stucco and smallish windows stuff.

IndyAZ Dec 31, 2022 1:34 AM

Thanks for posting Crested! I like the simplistic design of the tower, and love how its primarily glass with just the grid of EIFS. Glazing is a huge cost, so I'm shocked they are able to afford that much glass, but I'll take it! No colors are listed anywhere from what I can tell, but should be a nice looking tower and contrasting to many of the other residential towers.

Just wish they didn't turn their back on Pierce especially with the 1st and Pierce tower directly to the East and Realm across the street to the South.

Edit: Found this link for VeLa Development that has renderings. Rendering of Phoenix project looks great, but unfortunately looks like the design was simplified quite a bit. https://veladev.com/