SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engineering (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Starbase, Tx - SpaceX Launch Infrastructure (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246899)

aaron38 May 18, 2021 5:09 PM

Starbase, Tx - SpaceX Launch Infrastructure

I don't know if this is the best place for this thread, I searched and didn't see anything already for it. It's not civilian transportation, it's not a skyscraper. But they are going crazy with the cranes right now, and people here love cranes so I thought there would be interest.

Tons of videos like this one from NASASpaceflight, and live webcams. So if you're interested, take a look. Right now they are assembling a massive Liebherr LR 11000 crane so they can stack pre-built sections of the Starship launch tower.

Construction Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHP8ADl8GJY

Live Webcam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTA0GTgFn5E

(Looks like videos won't embed)
(Mods: Feel free to move if there's a better spot for this)

M II A II R II K May 18, 2021 9:20 PM

Video Link

Video Link

aaron38 May 19, 2021 4:03 AM

Thanks!

This is the whole launch site. Massive caissons under the orbital launch mount and tower.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RGVaerial...856832/photo/1

aaron38 May 21, 2021 4:35 PM

They are getting ready to use those massive cranes for a big lift.

Video Link

aaron38 May 25, 2021 1:23 AM

The “Frankencrane” saw action today. Second section of the tower (first lift) lifted into place. At least two more to go, maybe three.

Video Link

aaron38 May 29, 2021 4:24 PM

Third tower section lifted. They said during the lift there are 4 sections after this one.

Video Link

aaron38 Jun 10, 2021 11:47 PM

Big crane fans, tell your friends, get in here. This one's for you.

Video Link

aaron38 Jun 14, 2021 12:35 PM

Tower stacking of the 4th section begins at 2:30 in this video. That crane is incredibly tall now.

Video Link

aaron38 Jun 16, 2021 8:08 PM

Section #5 lifted. Two more to go.

Video Link

mrnyc Jun 17, 2021 5:12 PM

Technology

Texas Official Warns SpaceX Amid Showdown Over Public Roads

By Sergio Chapa
June 16, 2021, 12:35 AM EDT

A Texas prosecutor warned billionaire Elon Musk’s Space Exploration Technologies Corp. that the company’s private security guards are blocking access to public roads around one of its bases, a situation that could potentially result in lawsuits and criminal charges.

more:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-public-roads

The ATX Jun 18, 2021 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 9314515)
Technology

Texas Official Warns SpaceX Amid Showdown Over Public Roads

By Sergio Chapa
June 16, 2021, 12:35 AM EDT

A Texas prosecutor warned billionaire Elon Musk’s Space Exploration Technologies Corp. that the company’s private security guards are blocking access to public roads around one of its bases, a situation that could potentially result in lawsuits and criminal charges.

more:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-public-roads

SpaceX has a long history of not being a good neighbor at that site.

mrnyc Jun 18, 2021 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The ATX (Post 9315640)

i don't doubt it. funny enough, i have actually been there. the reason is because the beach there is the most SE accessable point on the la frontera/mexican border. i toured the entire usa/mex border over several trips in the 1990s and that was where i finshed my visits. i really enjoyed it -- its definitely not mex or tex, its its own world and culture. anyway, that was well before spacex of course.

to be fair, the spacex spaceport is in a great spot. there is nothing around it except the long road access to the beach -- and the beach isnt really that popular.
they can't block roads arbitrarily tho, so i have no sympathy. :hell:

aaron38 Jul 2, 2021 3:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The ATX (Post 9315640)

Everyone who owns land there will eventually be bought out for lots and lots of money. They'll be just fine. And they have a front row seat to one of the greatest sights on Earth.

7th tower section went up today. One more short one and the launch tower will be done.
Video Link

Coldrsx Jul 3, 2021 2:56 AM

I love the update on this, thank you!

aaron38 Jul 15, 2021 2:25 PM

The launch tower will be topped out soon.

Video Link

Hudson11 Jul 15, 2021 3:22 PM

while that is true, the FAA has taken issue.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...er-2021-07-14/

U.S. warns SpaceX its new Texas launch site tower not yet approved

Quote:

The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has warned Elon Musk's space company SpaceX that its environmental review of a new tower at its Boca Chica launch site in Texas is incomplete and the agency could order SpaceX to take down the tower.

An FAA spokesman said on Wednesday that the agency's environmental review underway of SpaceX’s proposed rocket assembly "integration tower" is "underway," and added that "the company is building the tower at its own risk."

aaron38 Jul 16, 2021 2:39 PM

Regulatory reform is so drastically needed. The FAA is broken. How does the FAA have jurisdiction over a tower? Towers don't fly. And this tower is nowhere near an airport runway.

Quote:

A May 6 letter from the FAA to SpaceX seen by Reuters said recent construction activity on one of the two proposed towers "may complicate the ongoing environmental review process for the Starship/Super Heavy Launch Vehicle Program." The FAA letter said the tower could be as high as 480 feet.
SpaceX is building something no one has built before. Not even NASA with the Saturn V. There is no way a bunch of FAA bureaucrats have any clue how to perform an "environmental review" on any of this. So far I haven't seen the FAA give one piece of useful input.

Coldrsx Jul 18, 2021 1:55 PM

^they don't, but having worked on multiple projects near airports or of certain heights we were required to obtain regulatory approval from Transport Canada and it would be at our own peril if not.

95% of the time it was checking a box and courtesy for all intents and purposes, but it had to be done.

It would be absurd if the FAA does not approve this, but until regulations and the regulatory needle is shifted it is in your best interest to get things approved as required.

aaron38 Jul 19, 2021 12:52 PM

Doing some extra reading, SpaceX does have FAA approval to build the tower. They just don't have FAA approval to use the tower.

Anyway, the 8th section was lifted yesterday, which is the last section. I wouldn't call it topped out though, they still have to build a crane on top.

Video Link

dubu Jul 19, 2021 3:38 PM

that thing is so tall you dont need a rocket. you are already in space imo.

aaron38 Jul 29, 2021 1:55 PM

9th tower section lifted. They had an American flag hanging from this section, so in the steelworker tradition, I think this signals Topped Out. At least from a lift standpoint. They might build up some there. But the principal structure should be complete.

There will still be a lot of cool engineering going on, so I'll post more when there's fun crane work to see, like the lift of the launch table.

Video Link

aaron38 Aug 6, 2021 2:51 PM

Lift of the launch table and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Video Link

aaron38 Aug 9, 2021 7:59 PM

They followed fast lifting the booster onto the launch table for fit checks. More massive crane work, and lots more construction.

Video Link

Coldrsx Aug 9, 2021 11:07 PM

The three piece interview with Elon is amazing.

Part 1 of 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t705r8ICkRw

aaron38 Aug 23, 2021 2:29 PM

For those who haven't seen it, this animation is pretty close to what they're building right now.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...ic%3D53088.540

aaron38 Aug 23, 2021 8:08 PM

They already need a bigger building for the booster. Not sure how much taller it will be.

Video Link

mrnyc Aug 30, 2021 7:01 AM

no way they get to one hour turnaround, but this process is mind blowing.

aaron38 Aug 30, 2021 2:09 PM

More big crane work, adding a massive swing arm to the tower. This will hold the fuel lines and will need to swing away from the rocket for launch. So it mounts to the side of the tower on hinges.

Video Link

aaron38 Sep 24, 2021 4:01 PM

Another addition to the launch tower, at 2:20 mark. This is part of the arm that loads fuel into the rocket.
The video also shows a lot of other work going on. They've started checks on the cryo plumbing using liquid nitrogen.

The next big addition to the tower should be the arms.

Video Link

aaron38 Oct 11, 2021 2:25 PM

Quote:

This short timelapse feature shows the Starship Orbital Launch Tower's Quick Disconnect (QD) Arm moving under its own power for the very first time. This first test was executed very slowly and we're excited to see how quickly the QD arm will move under normal launch operations.
Video Link

aaron38 Oct 20, 2021 2:04 PM

I’ll post a summary video later, but if anyone wants to watch this crazy lift live, here you go.

Video Link

aaron38 Oct 20, 2021 10:55 PM

Wow. And those arms are going to move.
Video Link

aaron38 Nov 1, 2021 1:40 PM

A new phase of construction is starting. The big "Frankencrane" has been taken down. Construction on a new assembly bay has begun.

Video Link

dubu Nov 2, 2021 10:04 AM

This is probably a small step to building space cities, we are getting closer. China will have its new space station done soon. Also musk and bezo combined have half a trillion dollars, but we know the first people living in space won't live well and people will die. So close but so far, literally.

mrnyc Nov 3, 2021 3:34 PM

mechazilla is alive!

SpaceX's Mechazilla Is Alive!
Starship Orbital Launch Tower Arms Move For The First Time

by Evelyn Janeidy Arevalo October 28, 2021

SpaceX’s Mechazilla is alive! Engineers working at Starbase on the 400-foot-tall Starship orbital launch tower moved the robotic arms for the first time on Thursday morning. Called ‘Mechazilla’ by SpaceX Founder Chief Engineer Elon Musk, the giant claw-like steel structure is designed to ‘catch’ the Starship spacecraft and Super Heavy rocket as it conducts a propulsive descent. The arms attached to the tower will enable the company to develop a reusable launch system capable of flying multiple times per day. “SpaceX will try to catch largest ever flying object with robot chopsticks,” Musk said last month, “Success is not guaranteed, but excitement is!” NASASpaceflight operates a set of Live cameras that captured footage of the Mechazilla arms moving for the first time.

more:
https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesm...chazilla-moves

Obadno Nov 5, 2021 6:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubu (Post 9440259)
This is probably a small step to building space cities, we are getting closer. China will have its new space station done soon. Also musk and bezo combined have half a trillion dollars, but we know the first people living in space won't live well and people will die. So close but so far, literally.

I am big on space commercialization. A lot of people seem to not realize the massive strides that have been made between Bezos, Elon and other various private space interests and how rapidly the cost of launch is falling.

Like any frontier its going to be quite hostile in the beginning, and space is more hostile than any frontier humanity has ever set forth into.

I think its important for our sense of wonder, adventure, its important for our very souls to have a frontier to strive towards and venture into.

Alpha Nov 7, 2021 12:53 AM

Boca Chica launch site is situated close to the Mexican border. Can there not trouble arise, when a rocket overflies Mexican territory?

Lariliss Nov 12, 2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubu (Post 9343851)
that thing is so tall you dont need a rocket. you are already in space imo.

A reasonable comment :)

There were so many space reaching options proposed. Majority are listed in Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-rocket_spacelaunch

This one might be new age trial.

dubu Nov 12, 2021 3:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lariliss (Post 9449008)
A reasonable comment :)

There were so many space reaching options proposed. Majority are listed in Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-rocket_spacelaunch

This one might be new age trial.

spacex is trying to advance in flying tech, its cool but like you said getting into space isnt so complex.

Obadno Nov 12, 2021 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubu (Post 9449124)
spacex is trying to advance in flying tech, its cool but like you said getting into space isnt so complex.

Its not complex its just expensive.

thats the whole reason for SpaceX and others working on re-usable spacecraft to cut the Price per LB for launch.

Its why the best option would be a "Space Elevator" but we dont have the materials capable of engineering such a structure.

...... yet! :cheers:

dubu Nov 12, 2021 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9449181)

thats the whole reason for SpaceX and others working on re-usable spacecraft to cut the Price per LB for launch.

Its why the best option would be a "Space Elevator" but we dont have the materials capable of engineering such a structure.

ya, thats the only way id go to space, im scared of flying. we have real tall skyscrapers, if those were in like colorado or something, i wonder how close to space you would be to space? if you had like six or the tallest skyscrapers close together then you could almost make a sky city. like in some video games.

they would be skyscrapers that no one lives in except at the top, you could stay there a few days then you are so close to space it would be easy to go to a space city in whatever way that it would be.

Obadno Nov 12, 2021 7:28 PM

[QUOTE=dubu;9449216]ya, thats the only way id go to space, im scared of flying. we have real tall skyscrapers, if those were in like colorado or something, /QUOTE]

Not even close! Low Eat orbit starts at about 2k Kilometers above the surface or about 1300 miles, or about 7 million feet.

Even if you stacked every 100 story building on earth on top of the tallest mountain in Colorado that gets us to about 37,000 feet or about .5% of the height to orbit

If we move the towers to Everest that gets us to 51,000 feet or so. a mere .7% of the way there.

dubu Nov 12, 2021 7:39 PM

thats far, but you could have a aircraft carrier up there in the town in the sky. it could throw the space craft, maybe it can be a electric space craft or something more advanced.

mrnyc Nov 14, 2021 2:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9449181)

the space elevator will always be twenty years off, like fusion and a.i.. :haha:

Wigs Nov 15, 2021 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 9450459)
the space elevator will always be twenty years off, like fusion and a.i.. :haha:

Fusion sounds more realistic than "space elevator"
https://www.powermag.com/fusion-ener...han-you-think/

AI is getting scary. ask Elon Musk, Boston Dynamics, Google, etc.

Obadno Nov 16, 2021 6:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 9450459)

The fears of true AI and Automation are overblown. robotics is sitll a long way off from replicating anything outside of repetitive manual tasks and travel.

AI is great for analysis and pattern recognition (terrifying for surveillance and freedom) but its not true "intelligence" its just further improvements on computational power that we already do.

I dont know if we will every get to a real AI, just very close imitations.

As for Fusion we are closer to that than AI. And Space elevators are impossible with current known materials.

aaron38 Nov 17, 2021 1:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha (Post 9444275)
Boca Chica launch site is situated close to the Mexican border. Can there not trouble arise, when a rocket overflies Mexican territory?

Rockets don’t overfly land at all early in launch. A launch from Boca Chica will be due East over the ocean. Never south.

aaron38 Dec 19, 2021 3:31 AM

First half is all construction

Video Link

aaron38 Jan 5, 2022 7:50 PM

Happy New Year! Chopstick testing has started. Plus more construction updates.

Video Link

aaron38 Jan 10, 2022 11:11 PM

Finally some dynamics in the launch tower. This is what it was built to do. Let's go!

Video Link