SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina | Pubs and Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212747)

LittleBoy Jun 24, 2021 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 9320722)
You are being overly dramatic. The zoning bylaw is controlled by council. They can vote to allow anything they want. Community Planning gives tons of leeway the city to make these decisions.

Just like McDonalds they went/are going through the process.

You mean the McDonalds that was forced through by the former mayor even though City staff recommended against it?

LittleBoy Jun 24, 2021 8:47 PM

The City has shown on multiple occasions that they will allow active municipal politicians to use their influence to financially benefit themselves. Look no further than recent developments in the Greens or the just announced redevelopment on Pasqua. And yes, City staff and (to my knowledge) a current councillor have voiced their distaste that this is allowed to occur.

HomerSPC Jun 25, 2021 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBoy (Post 9321565)
You mean the McDonalds that was forced through by the former mayor even though City staff recommended against it?

[Citation needed]

LittleBoy Jun 25, 2021 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerSPC (Post 9322197)
[Citation needed]

Doubt me all you want, I really don’t care what you think. I’m not willing to doxx a city employee for the satisfaction of a stranger on the internet.

HomerSPC Jun 25, 2021 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBoy (Post 9322327)
Doubt me all you want, I really don’t care what you think. I’m not willing to doxx a city employee for the satisfaction of a stranger on the internet.

Or, in other words, you have zero proof for your claims. Let's stop making baseless claims and creating conspiracies. I think we've all had enough of that after the last 18 months.

djforsberg Jun 25, 2021 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerSPC (Post 9322511)
Or, in other words, you have zero proof for your claims. Let's stop making baseless claims and creating conspiracies. I think we've all had enough of that after the last 18 months.

There’s more than enough evidence to show that corruption in general has gone up considerably in the last 18 months. It’s not hard to believe that it has made its way to our quaint city.

BrutallyDishonest2 Jun 25, 2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBoy (Post 9321565)

You fundamentally misunderstand how the city works. Politics overrules city admin EVERY SINGLE DAY. This is not a new thing nor is it corruption per se. Given that city admin are following bylaws

You are mistaking bad policy with illegal policy. You have demonstrated nothing to show what's happening at REAL is illegal or corrupt. If you want to argue it's bad policy, have at it.

spictacular mcluvin Jun 29, 2021 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9313301)
Brewed is downsizing. Harbour Landing and Dewdney are up for sale.

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-regina/coffe...ale/k0l1700196

Too bad they aren't closing the old Atlantis Cafe as IMHO they close it too early compared to how late Atlantis used to stay open.
I'd rather they let someone else take that spot or at least open later.

one_brick_at_a_time Jun 29, 2021 8:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin (Post 9326458)
Too bad they aren't closing the old Atlantis Cafe as IMHO they close it too early compared to how late Atlantis used to stay open.

What?!? That is the flagship location! Lol.

spictacular mcluvin Jun 29, 2021 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9326461)
What?!? That is the flagship location! Lol.

I;m just stating their hours are poor compared to the previous tenants. I wish they would expand their hours at night is all.

one_brick_at_a_time Jun 29, 2021 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin (Post 9326473)
I;m just stating their hours are poor compared to the previous tenants. I wish they would expand their hours at night is all.

Feedback to the owners? Basically when that location opened, the pandemic happened. Hopefully once Dojo Ramen opens next door, evening foot traffic will pick up.

jigglysquishy Jun 29, 2021 9:34 PM

Do we have any timeline on Dojo Ramen?

cityboy Jun 30, 2021 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin (Post 9326458)

Agreed. Apparently the concept of a late night coffee shop other than Tim's or Robin's is too radical for this city, even before the pandemic.

StealthGirl Jul 2, 2021 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 9326556)
Do we have any timeline on Dojo Ramen?

Not opening until fall.

kzkz11 Jul 8, 2021 3:05 PM

Gilmour's Corner

Does anyone have information on if Gilmour's will be returning post-pandemic/when more of the workforce has returned to downtown? There is no other business that even comes close to being talked about as much at my place of work. It is sorely missed. :(

McBean Jul 10, 2021 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzkz11 (Post 9334511)
Does anyone have information on if Gilmour's will be returning post-pandemic/when more of the workforce has returned to downtown? There is no other business that even comes close to being talked about as much at my place of work. It is sorely missed. :(

Ya it's sad, the downtown will be a lot different when people come back to work and see what's missing.

Nathan Jul 10, 2021 7:19 PM

Siam is still around, for which I am eternally grateful.

Gilmour's is also one of the popular places for some of the people at my work too.

one_brick_at_a_time Jul 10, 2021 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBean (Post 9336658)
Ya it's sad, the downtown will be a lot different when people come back to work and see what's missing.

What has closed downtown?

McBean Jul 11, 2021 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9336807)
What has closed downtown?

Gud, hobo's donuts, not sure about Gilmour's and that Japanese place beside old Atlantis Coffee across from Victorias. Not sure about food court in Cornwall, because I would never step foot in that cesspit mall.

BrannyMuffin Jul 11, 2021 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBean (Post 9337117)
Gud, hobo's donuts, not sure about Gilmour's and that Japanese place beside old Atlantis Coffee across from Victorias. Not sure about food court in Cornwall, because I would never step foot in that cesspit mall.

Gud Eats and Hobo Donuts both opened and closed during the pandemic. It sucks that they’re gone, but they weren’t there when people left their offices. They were both great additions to downtown. Hobo was regularly sold out (closed for personal reasons) and Gud Eats had terrible timing opening a month into a pandemic with seating restrictions and a lot fewer customers downtown. They were busy, but delivery services took a huge chunk of their profits. I’d like to see them try again, but I don’t know that that will ever happen. That Japanese place I don’t know much about, but Dojo Ramen will hopefully be open there soon. Boards N Beans is another place that did well pre-pandemic, but restrictions put a huge damper on their business model.