SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

sopas ej Mar 22, 2020 11:35 PM

Mango margaritas to go! With 2 orders of chicken mole enchiladas... you need to order takeout food to order takeout alcoholic beverages. ;). The very first time I ordered cocktails in to-go cups.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...af&oe=5E9CC8B0
Photo by me

Taking advantage of California's temporary allowance of alcoholic beverages to-go.

sopas ej Mar 22, 2020 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8870313)
It's the difference between those with genuine faith (that God will protect them) and those who pay lip service to religion (usually members of one of the mainstream religions).

...Or evidence of the role that the hierarchy of clergy play in the Roman Catholic form of Christianity.

SpawnOfVulcan Mar 22, 2020 11:50 PM

This isn't something that I've noticed come up in local news, but if the 2020 Olympics are delayed until 2021 would have a huge impact on Birmingham. First, I'm most concerned about reducing the impact of this pandemic on the planet. However, Birmingham is to play host to the World Games in 2021 during the same time frame as a postponed Olympics. The World Games will/would be the single largest event ever held in Alabama, and the preparation that is going into hosting the world games (albeit a fraction of hosting the Olympics) is still pretty tremendous, especially for a city the size of Birmingham.

For those of you who don't know, The World Games is an event held every 4 years, just like the Olympics, that hosts global competition in sports that are not held during the olympics such as acrobatic gymnastics, ultimate frisbee, orienteering, karate, powerlifting, finswimming, squash, korfball, billiards, water skiing, dance sport, etc...

IMO, for the safety of those attending the Olympics and, more selfishly, to not throw the 2021 World Games in question, a decision really needs to be made soon by the IOC.

mrnyc Mar 22, 2020 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8870540)
Mango margaritas to go! With 2 orders of chicken mole enchiladas... you need to order takeout food to order takeout alcoholic beverages. ;). The very first time I ordered cocktails in to-go cups.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...af&oe=5E9CC8B0
Photo by me

Taking advantage of California's temporary allowance of alcoholic beverages to-go.

haha i was waiting to see this thanks. a sign of normalcy at least.

i got cans of beer with corner bistro burgers. i believe they make actual dranks to go too, not sure, i didnt ask.

iheartthed Mar 22, 2020 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8870480)
He didn't need to be just tested no matter the details if he was quite ill. Testing is helpful to tell those who are feeling just a bit "under the weather" or even those feeling well but thinking they were exposed (after the necessary wait of about 5 days) whether they are infected and need to self-quarantine, but those who are quite ill need medical care regardless of any coronavirus test result.

If hospitals wouldn't see a very sick person, regardless of what was making him sick, that's awful. He should get a lawyer and sue the pants off them.

What's necessary is what I suggested above and some hospitals are doing: Setting up separate facilities (in tents if necessary) to screen those with possible coronavirus symptoms in a separate location from people with all manner of other medical problems. And for those who, when screened (including a test, preferably the new bedside test now coming only, not the PCR test everybody wants), do need hospitalization, there needs to be separate facilties for those with coronavirus and the rest. Sokme places are doing this. If West Virginia isn't, that's a problem.

I read the article and find nothing surprising in it. Whether and what medical care the guy needed shouldn't have been up to a test. It should have been based on his medical condition with the test used to determine where he got care, not whether. And we all should know there are probably hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of people who have contracted coronavirus out there but haven't had it confirmed with a test. If they are critical workers--cops, firemen, medical people--and they feel well, they need testing to see if they can work. The rest should just stay home and self-isolate.

He needed to be tested to know that 1 - he was infected with a highly contagious disease and was a public health risk, and 2 - to know the broader implications for the public safety of West Virginia.

jtown,man Mar 23, 2020 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8870317)
It's mind-boggling that there isn't more emphasis put on churches. We've already seen in South Korea how churches can be the epicenter of a major outbreak. I think something like half of that country's cases were tied back to a single church.

Not to make this political, but there is clearly a tendency to downplay the virus in right-leaning states, and that has led to mixed responses to halt the spread at the local level. I think when it's all said and done the worst places will end up being those states. If we're still locked down in June or July, it will be because of states that are not taking it seriously right now.

Black churches aren't typically right-leaning folks.

jtown,man Mar 23, 2020 12:19 AM

It felt weird today driving. Me and the girlfriend were driving to Target but I took us on a detour to check out some nice homes near Hyde Park. Well, every time I saw a cop I was like WERE GONNA SAY WERE GOING TO THE TACO BELL DOWN THE ROAD because we were just roaming around. Obviously I wasn't scared of the cops but it's a weird weird world we're living in now.

Pedestrian Mar 23, 2020 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8870574)
He needed to be tested to know that 1 - he was infected with a highly contagious disease and was a public health risk, and 2 - to know the broader implications for the public safety of West Virginia.

Being dead, he had a serious condition that required hospitalization regardless of the cause. The hospital needed to test him to know where to put him and they probably could if he went there rather than seek some open-to the-public testing site. Most ERs can now test and can appropriately handle suspected cases until results are available (although that ability could be overwhelmed unless the bedside test gets to them quickly).

This was about a person who supposedly (per the media) died because he couldn't get a test. That's BS. He died because he didn't sensibly seek medical care when he should have. As for the "broader implications for the public safety of West Virginia", West VA's got a big problem and it's not entirely about testing. It's about several things such as rural medical capability even pre-coronavirus and also about denial on the part of its citizens who even this morning were crowding together at churches all over the state.

I agree more testing of the "worried well" would be nice from an epidemiologic standpoint but nobody who's so sick they are in danger of death should not be seeking medical care for lack of a test that tells THEM (as opposed to their doctor) what's wrong with them.

Quote:

In pro-Trump West Virginia, a fight to convince residents a pandemic is coming
A hospital struggles to prepare a community for a virus many still don’t see as a serious threat

iheartthed Mar 23, 2020 1:01 AM

deleted

llamaorama Mar 23, 2020 2:04 AM

I get the feeling that Houston's current urban construction boom will end. Not because of the virus per se, but because oil is now like $20 a barrel. The city's economy is in deep trouble and we don't know it yet. I'm hoping that because this was more like a natural disaster than a market one like in 2008, the recession this year will be a small one. But I'm afraid that for Houston it will be ugly.

All I hope for is that my company comes out unscathed and I have a job here for another 2 years or however long it takes for this area in general to recover.

I also get the feeling this is the end of the great historic boom where Houston had managed to add millions in a couple of decades. I think our future growth will slow down a lot. Dallas will probably cement its population lead over us and Austin will take a bigger share of relocations from other states to Texas.

In a way it might be good, less gentrification and it will be easier for people in my generation to buy houses, etc. But on the other hand I don't think the impressive growth in density can continue. Urbanistically, Houston is probably heading for stagnation. The two high rises going up downtown will probably be the last for a very long time.

JManc Mar 23, 2020 2:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llamaorama (Post 8870677)
I get the feeling that Houston's current urban construction boom will end. Not because of the virus per se, but because oil is now like $20 a barrel. The city's economy is in deep trouble and we don't know it yet. I'm hoping that because this was more like a natural disaster than a market one like in 2008, the recession this year will be a small one. But I'm afraid that for Houston it will be ugly.

All I hope for is that my company comes out unscathed and I have a job here for another 2 years or however long it takes for this area in general to recover.

I also get the feeling this is the end of the great historic boom where Houston had managed to add millions in a couple of decades. I think our future growth will slow down a lot. Dallas will probably cement its population lead over us and Austin will take a bigger share of relocations from other states to Texas.

In a way it might be good, less gentrification and it will be easier for people in my generation to buy houses, etc. But on the other hand I don't think the impressive growth in density can continue. Urbanistically, Houston is probably heading for stagnation. The two high rises going up downtown will probably be the last for a very long time.

Everyone will feel the effects from the virus but Houston and other petro cities are going really feel the pain with rock bottom oil prices. My wife works in oil and gas and they are in panic mode. Hopefully it will be short lived since it is artificially by Russia/ Saudi.

Acajack Mar 23, 2020 2:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan (Post 8870564)
This isn't something that I've noticed come up in local news, but if the 2020 Olympics are delayed until 2021 would have a huge impact on Birmingham. First, I'm most concerned about reducing the impact of this pandemic on the planet. However, Birmingham is to play host to the World Games in 2021 during the same time frame as a postponed Olympics. The World Games will/would be the single largest event ever held in Alabama, and the preparation that is going into hosting the world games (albeit a fraction of hosting the Olympics) is still pretty tremendous, especially for a city the size of Birmingham.

For those of you who don't know, The World Games is an event held every 4 years, just like the Olympics, that hosts global competition in sports that are not held during the olympics such as acrobatic gymnastics, ultimate frisbee, orienteering, karate, powerlifting, finswimming, squash, korfball, billiards, water skiing, dance sport, etc...

IMO, for the safety of those attending the Olympics and, more selfishly, to not throw the 2021 World Games in question, a decision really needs to be made soon by the IOC.

Canada will not be going to the Tokyo Olympics.

Breaking news.

Acajack Mar 23, 2020 2:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8870591)
Black churches aren't typically right-leaning folks.

I think that depends on one's definition of "right".

sopas ej Mar 23, 2020 2:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8870691)
Canada will not be going to the Tokyo Olympics.

Breaking news.

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...9e&oe=5E9D38CE

llamaorama Mar 23, 2020 2:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8870681)
Everyone will feel the effects from the virus but Houston and other petro cities are going really feel the pain with rock bottom oil prices. My wife works in oil and gas and they are in panic mode. Hopefully it will be short lived since it is artificially by Russia/ Saudi.

My company is not oil and gas, but manufactures things for the building industry, specifically big buildings like high rises, sports stadiums, resorts, etc. I think a lot of our customers come from our local connections, we export our products made here to construction sites in the Middle East.

Oil being low -> bust -> few big construction projects -> bad for us? It's all interconnected. Houston's still hideously dependent on oil. I saw somewhere that perhaps "only" 9% of our jobs are in oil and gas, but then something like 23% are in manufacturing of which the vast majority is oil and gas related equipment and steel pipe or tank fabrication or maritime stuff for offshore, etc. And someone mentioned all those generous health plans support our healthcare industry quite a bit.

We are so screwed...

JManc Mar 23, 2020 3:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llamaorama (Post 8870711)
My company is not oil and gas, but manufactures things for the building industry, specifically big buildings like high rises, sports stadiums, resorts, etc. I think a lot of our customers come from our local connections, we export our products made here to construction sites in the Middle East.

Oil being low -> bust -> few big construction projects -> bad for us? It's all interconnected. Houston's still hideously dependent on oil. I saw somewhere that perhaps "only" 9% of our jobs are in oil and gas, but then something like 23% are in manufacturing of which the vast majority is oil and gas related equipment and steel pipe or tank fabrication or maritime stuff for offshore, etc. And someone mentioned all those generous health plans support our healthcare industry quite a bit.

We are so screwed...

I'm wrapping up my MBA and re-entering the workforce in a few months and man, what a terrible time to reintegrate. I may end up working out of state for a while until things recover here because i totally agree..we are screwed.

chris08876 Mar 23, 2020 3:16 AM

Its a good time to take some online classes.

chris08876 Mar 23, 2020 3:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8870741)
I'm wrapping up my MBA and re-entering the workforce in a few months and man, what a terrible time to reintegrate. I may end up working out of state for a while until things recover here because i totally agree..we are screwed.

Would you consider coming back to NJ or NY? An MBA offers a lot of opportunities in the tri-state.

JManc Mar 23, 2020 3:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8870754)
Would you consider coming back to NJ or NY? An MBA offers a lot of opportunities in the tri-state.

I would. I looked at NYC/ NJ as well as the West Coast for my internship.

gentlepuppies Mar 23, 2020 3:44 AM

Anyone working in architecture feeling impacts on job security? I've been working at home for the last month (2 weeks quarantine after a vacation, then our firm started working from home 2 weeks ago), and I'm on some massive government contract, so nothing so far, but who knows. I was originally thinking of quitting to do smaller project types, but now maybe that will wait lol.