SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

gymratmanaz Apr 18, 2017 3:50 PM

Resurfacing? or a new tallest building starting? LOL!

Obadno Apr 18, 2017 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 7776308)
Resurfacing? or a new tallest building starting? LOL!

Don't Tease me! that spot would be perfect for a tall and skinny tower.

biggus diggus Apr 18, 2017 7:10 PM

It's going to be a Sonic Drive Thru

Obadno Apr 18, 2017 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7776590)

How about the most expensive Dutch Bro's coffee stand in town.

Phxguy Apr 18, 2017 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7776590)

Half-price shakes after 8 pm. This might be the best thing to happen downtown...ever.

biggus diggus Apr 18, 2017 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7776648)
How about the most expensive Dutch Bro's coffee stand in town.

Dual-concept, now you can have an XL Dutch Brothers caffeinated milkshake with your double bacon cheeseburger.

phoenixwillrise Apr 18, 2017 8:57 PM

Still say it's for the greater good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7776292)
Nor does he fully grasp what corporate welfare is...I think it's time these projects get off the ground without a break from the taxpayer. During a recession or when they are trying to build some synergy off of a depressed area, I get it. Now land prices should pencil most of these projects out.

Yes it is corporate welfare but I want to see this shit built why I am still here. You get the synergy going and everyone will benefit other cities have done it and will continue to do it. Structure it so there is big payback in the end. Think outside the box or stay mediocre. It's that simple.

PhxSprawler Apr 19, 2017 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise (Post 7776731)
Yes it is corporate welfare but I want to see this shit built why I am still here. You get the synergy going and everyone will benefit other cities have done it and will continue to do it. Structure it so there is big payback in the end. Think outside the box or stay mediocre. It's that simple.

I agree, though it is an investment by the city, NOT corporate welfare. The future tax revenues to the city far outweigh the short term lost revenue, which in many cases would be far less even with a vacant lot. It's simple economics that near-sighted Goldwater-types can't understand.

azsunsurfer Apr 19, 2017 4:03 PM

Your're right. Simple economics is the law of supply and demand. If demand is only stimulated through a central planning authority, it's welfare. Let the market dictate highest and best use....I don't want to subsidize it (although thankfully I don't live in Phoenix proper)

azsunsurfer Apr 19, 2017 4:43 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the lot by Hanny's get's redeveloped as a parking garage for the Quicken Loans office going in at 1 N Central. Considering parking is a key sticking point with them.

biggus diggus Apr 19, 2017 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7777576)
I wouldn't be surprised if the lot by Hanny's get's redeveloped as a parking garage for the Quicken Loans office going in at 1 N Central. Considering parking is a key sticking point with them.

This is definitely a possibility that I didn't think about. :tup:

Phxguy Apr 19, 2017 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7777576)

Ugh, I'd hate to see years of waiting for a decent development on that lot become a garage. But if that's the case, then I hope it's ringed with retail spaces and the streetscape improvments complement the Renaissance across the street. On the plus side, another 1,000 workers downtown is a 'YUGE' bonus.

ASU Diablo Apr 19, 2017 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 7776295)
Empty lot across from Renaissance hotel on Adams (behind Hanny's) is being torn up.

I assume for streetscape improvements.

Correct. Trees going up as of today. Relax guys, I doubt the city spent all that money on the Adams Reactivation Study to place a garage there lol

http://i.imgur.com/el7umqTl.jpg

Obadno Apr 19, 2017 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7777840)
Correct. Trees going up as of today. Relax guys, I doubt the city spent all that money on the Adams Reactivation Study to place a garage there lol

LOL agreed, development downtown has been so horrible for so long we are like abused dogs cowering and always assuming the worst.

ASU Diablo Apr 19, 2017 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7777886)
LOL agreed, development downtown has been so horrible for so long we are like abused dogs cowering and always assuming the worst.

lmao

azsunsurfer Apr 19, 2017 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7777840)

http://i.imgur.com/el7umqTl.jpg

Except when you are talking about 1,000 plus employees moving downtown I think the City would think differently!

CrestedSaguaro Apr 19, 2017 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7777934)
Except when you are talking about 1,000 plus employees moving downtown I think the City would think differently!

I can't tell by the pic, but what kind of trees are they planting? They don't look like Palo Verde. Hopefully something that will get big and provide some shade. :treehugger:

nickw252 Apr 19, 2017 9:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7777992)
I can't tell by the pic, but what kind of trees are they planting? They don't look like Palo Verde. Hopefully something that will get big and provide some shade. :treehugger:

Looks to me like Sissoo.

fawd Apr 19, 2017 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7777992)

No Palo Verde downtown anymore. The city has been replacing all the trees over the past year with a new type that is supposed to create a canopy when fully grown.... can't remember the type.

Plus the new trees require less water.

ASU Diablo Apr 19, 2017 9:33 PM

According to article, it's a combo of Indian Rosewoods and Chinese Pistache. They're basically the same species that line up all of Adams.

http://dtphx.org/2016/03/03/right-tr...s-tree-canopy/