SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Who is building the most in North America? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247297)

wwmiv Jun 26, 2021 9:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli (Post 9323639)
Wrong again. Heres the post I was talking about:

Nice try, dumbass.

Can you cool down?

Step away from the keyboard. Go have some pancakes with maple syrup. Step outside and chill out in the 50 degree weather. Then come back and be respectful.

Darkoshvilli Jun 26, 2021 9:38 PM

Speaking of backpeddling...:haha:

Im fine though, thanks.

wwmiv Jun 26, 2021 9:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli (Post 9323668)
Speaking of backpeddling...:haha:

Im fine though, thanks.

I never backpedaled. I added detail so the person I responded to would understand my thought process and not respond in an abusive disgusting way like you have (not saying they would have, just drawing further attention to your behavior).

I’m disengaging now.

Darkoshvilli Jun 26, 2021 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwmiv (Post 9323673)
I never backpedaled. I added detail so the person I responded to would understand my thought process and not respond in an abusive disgusting way like you have (not saying they would have, just drawing further attention to your behavior).

I’m disengaging now.

Nah. You tried to win an argument on the internet without having your facts together and when that didnt work you tried to save face. Happens to the best of us.

Sam Hill Jun 26, 2021 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwmiv (Post 9323644)
After I read this, I’m left with the nagging question about where exactly you disagreed with my previous lengthy post on this in this thread?

I wasn’t responding to you specifically. I was just adding to the whole “what to make of Salt Lake” discussion/debate that’s been going on in this thread.

Also, I spend most of my time on SSP in the Mountain West forum where the Salt Lakers have a bit of a chip on their shoulders due to constantly getting dismissed as a metro of one-ish million, so I’m probably mistakenly projecting some of the many past conversations/debates from that forum onto this thread.

So I guess we’re largely in agreement?

The Wasatch Front is a weird place. It has a unique urban form that is very elongated and sparse. It’s in a category of its own.

Sam Hill Jun 26, 2021 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli (Post 9323628)
Nice try dumbass but he said "US cities" not American.

Take it easy.

JManc Jun 27, 2021 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigs (Post 9320276)
Agreed. Since returning to LA I've noticed a ton of construction, but almost all of it is between three and seven floors.

I was there last in 2019 and DTLA alone was hopping with new development. Seemed more active than SD or SF.

authentiCLE Jun 27, 2021 2:23 AM

Cleveland: 1

Hold on let me count again to be sure. Yep, 1.

DZH22 Jun 27, 2021 4:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. (Post 9320182)
Data from Emporis on number of 12+ floors buildings under construction in select US cities. Please feel free to update the numbers below if the data on Emporis is inaccurate.

New York City - 299
Toronto - 243
Houston - 81
Miami - 38
Chicago - 34
Panama City, Panama - 27
Detroit - 26
Los Angeles - 25
Atlanta - 21
Seattle - 17 (22 per mhays)
Philadelphia - 17
Jersey City - 16
Boston - 12
Dallas - 12
Bellevue - 11

Boston's is already much too low here, but if you add in its 2 innermost suburbs, Cambridge and Somerville, the number balloons up to 32 according to the SSP Diagrams (which themselves are incomplete).
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=93682815

Austin55 Jun 27, 2021 6:59 AM

Another argument that that population growth ≠ high rise growth

Fort Worth is the 2nd fastest growing city in the country and has never built an apartment tower with more than 12 floors, and only has 2 apartment buildings taller than 6 or 7 floor wood-framed buildings. There’s currently a grand total of 2 tower cranes in the city, one is a hospital and another is a garage at a mixed-use project.

There’s only been 3 buildings over 12 floors built in the city in the last decade, 1 office, 1 hotel, and 1 senior living center. The population grew 300k in this time period.

DCReid Jun 27, 2021 1:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin55 (Post 9323953)

Fort Worth is the 2nd fastest growing city in the country and has never built an apartment tower with more than 12 floors, and only has 2 apartment buildings taller than 6 or 7 floor wood-framed buildings. There’s currently a grand total of 2 tower cranes in the city, one is a hospital and another is a garage at a mixed-use project.

There’s only been 3 buildings over 12 floors built in the city in the last decade, 1 office, 1 hotel, and 1 senior living center. The population grew 300k in this time period.

No one really said pop growth equates with high rise growth. It's more a question of land use, available space, and local market preferences. Places like Ft Worth and DFW in general are sprawling metros with apparently limited preference/desirability for high rises. That could change in the future - I certainly would not have expected downtown LA to have a high rise boom during the last 20 years.

austlar1 Jun 27, 2021 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin55 (Post 9323953)

While it is true that FW has never seen a purpose built stand-alone apartment tower over 12 floors, there are two notable tall apartment structures in downtown Fort Worth. One is the re-purposed 30 story John Portman bank building (originally built for FW National Bank in 1972) that was badly damaged in a tornado in the late 1990s and remodeled as a condo tower in the aftermath. The other tall residential structure is part of a 33 floor mixed use hotel/condo development with an Omni Hotel at the base and a condo tower rising above the hotel. That's pretty much it for true high rise living in FW unless you are a senior, in which case there are a three or four 10 to 12 story complexes on the periphery of downtown FW. There are also a few repurposed pre WW2 high rise office buildings that have either rental units or condos. In spite of the rapid growth of the city, which includes a lot of in-fill residential towards the center of the city, FW is not participating in the residential high rise boom seen in places like Austin or even over in Dallas.

craigs Jun 27, 2021 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9323795)
I was there last in 2019 and DTLA alone was hopping with new development. Seemed more active than SD or SF.

I've noticed a ton of housing under construction throughout LA, especially between downtown and Santa Monica, but almost all of it is under this thread's 12-floor threshold. The new residential towers downtown are awesome, and I hope they continue to sprout, but they are anomalous--LA remains an overwhelmingly low-rise city.

As for the list in this thread, I'm still not sure if we're counting only LA proper or the urban area. If the latter, it seems too low.

Ant131531 Jun 27, 2021 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaharocks (Post 9320698)
I work in the development industry, and most of my work is in the west. But I'm very familiar with the goings on in Atlanta, and if you were to take the total amount of construction going on intown as the OP alluded - not just high-rises but midrises and all forms of housing, I would guess Atlanta would be in the top handful, alongside Austin and Nashville on a per-capita basis.

Nearly every block in the city of Atlanta (outside the downtown core) has some form of residential construction going on...I don't think it's just boosterism.

Atlanta currently has 36 12+ story buildings U/C. This would definitely make it into the top 10 cities across the country.

EDIT: It also has 10,220 multi-family units under construction. This is only apartments and condos. Does not include the many townhome projects under construction in the city or multi-family units U/C in southside neighborhoods(since the list I used in the Atlanta forum does not include those parts of Atlanta).

Martin Mtl Jun 28, 2021 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 9323017)
Where are Laval and Repentigny?

LAVAL = 11 UC

Floors - name

20 - Espace Montmorency residential tower
20 - Gest sur Gouin
16 - Espace Montmorency office tower
16 - Quartier Urbain Le James
16 - Apero Teasdale
15 - Central Parc Laval phase 3
15 - Marquise Rubis 1
15 - Marquise Rubis 2
15 - Soléa condo
13 - Market condo
12 - Urbania Haus

REPENTIGNY = 2 UC

30 - Sélection
30 - Manoir Repentigny

BROSSARD = 12 UC (and not 15 like previously stated - 3 from my list were actually done)

28 - Nobel condominium
23 - Magellan condos 1
18 - Oria 1
15 - Magellan condos 2
15 - Alter Ego sur le fleuve 1
15 - Alter Ego sur le fleuve 2
14 - Brossard complex 1
13 - Éolia appartements
13 - 2000, rue de l'Éclipse
13 - Oria 2
12 - Mellem
12 - Brossard complex 2

Montreal = 51
Montreal suburbs = 25

Acajack Jun 28, 2021 2:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli (Post 9320501)
No matter how much Torontonians wish they were in the us theyr are still in Canada last I checked.

I've referred to Toronto's American obsession a gazillion times on SSP, but I don't actually think any of this is related to a desire to be *part* of the US.

For the people I have in mind, it's more an idea that they're building a better America, or a better American city. Outside the US.

All of the good stuff about the US, minus all of the bad stuff.

MolsonExport Jun 28, 2021 3:13 PM

very few Torontonians would rather that their city was in the United States. Instead of being the supreme city of a major country, it would likely have been a also-ran great lakes city of a Buffalo or Rochester -level significance.

Antares41 Jun 28, 2021 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MolsonExport (Post 9324837)
very few Torontonians would rather that their city was in the United States. Instead of being the supreme city of a major country, it would likely have been a also-ran great lakes city of a Buffalo or Rochester -level significance.

Ouch! That hurt..... Yes Buffalo did dream of being a bigger city but pick the poison that did it in.... Nevertheless, Hooray for Toronto! strangely enough Buffalo does root for and benefit from its growth.

Doady Jun 28, 2021 9:47 PM

Toronto gave the world the proto-Trump and proto-Trumpism in former Rob Ford and Ford Nation. It's basically a US city.

Btw, it's funny how it's only one guy in this thread who is getting all upset and attacking and insulting anyone who doesn't agree with him or dares to point out his mistakes. There's only one "snowflake" in here as far as I can tell. There's only one sore loser who can't accept when he's wrong, very much like Trump.

GreaterMontréal Jun 28, 2021 10:02 PM

Laval's zoning map.
https://ehq-production-canada.imgix....?auto=compress
https://www.repensonslaval.ca/schema/photos/5395

You won't see any towers in low density residential neighborhoods.

Marshal Jun 28, 2021 10:46 PM

One.
There is a longstanding thread of thought concerning Toronto's identity and 'US Americanism.' Regardless of this, Torontonians do not consider themselves, nor wish to be Americans. At best, they like the idea that they somehow possess the American (really the New York) spirit .

Two.
No Canadians refer to themselves in any way as "Americans." At best, they will use "North American" in a technical/geographic sense. wwmiv's post regarding this is pure fiction.

mhays Jun 28, 2021 11:00 PM

If you're referring to his post on Page 5, it doesn't suggest otherwise. Just that "America" has a bunch of meanings, some of which he outlines.

Doady Jun 28, 2021 11:25 PM

I think it would be most correct to refer to people of the US as "United States Americans" or "US Americans". Actual "American" is more analogous to "Asian" or "European", e.g. "Native American". And yes, people in Canada, including Toronto, do often refer to indigenous people as "Native Americans".

wwmiv Jun 29, 2021 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 9325466)
If you're referring to his post on Page 5, it doesn't suggest otherwise. Just that "America" has a bunch of meanings, some of which he outlines.

Thank you. Many people use American in many different ways. Perhaps I did not say it explicitly enough, but referring to yourself as “North American” is part and parcel consistent with the spirit and motivation of my post; it is one of those varieties of the usage of the word “American.”

Shrugs.

Acajack Jun 29, 2021 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doady (Post 9325507)
I think it would be most correct to refer to people of the US as "United States Americans" or "US Americans". Actual "American" is more analogous to "Asian" or "European", e.g. "Native American". And yes, people in Canada, including Toronto, do often refer to indigenous people as "Native Americans".

Equivalent words for this already exist in Spanish (Estadounidense) and French (Étatsunien).

Acajack Jun 29, 2021 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doady (Post 9325507)
And yes, people in Canada, including Toronto, do often refer to indigenous people as "Native Americans".

I know, but that's just Americanization from media and pop culture, though.

Referring to Indigenous people in Canada as "Native Americans" actually makes no sense.

iheartthed Jun 29, 2021 1:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9325568)

Referring to Indigenous people in Canada as "Native Americans" actually makes no sense.

At least they don't call them indians (or do they?).

Acajack Jun 29, 2021 2:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9325633)
At least they don't call them indians (or do they?).

Not really, although...

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-5/

shappy Jun 29, 2021 3:39 AM

Ok, Torontonians don't want to be part of the US - this isn't a thing. But, in my opinion, they do want recognition through US media, movies, sports, etc.

Rob Ford was a pretty terrible mayor... way in over his head, clearly plagued by mental health issues, addiction, etc. But you can't tell me we didn't get a kick out of hearing "Toronto" being constantly mentioned by Kimmel and others. This is a pretty fucking awesome city, easily top 5-10 in NA and until only a few years ago, was barely mentioned at all. Even London loves being stroked by the US media machine. Anyway, tired ridiculous argument and a lot of pretty dumb comments above.

Steely Dan Jun 29, 2021 3:49 AM

"please, please, please acknowledge and love us for how awesome and wonderful we are!

But don't you ever fucking dare think that we're somehow part of your awful and wicked society!"

:D

shappy Jun 29, 2021 4:03 AM

Haha, you got it!

(Ah no, I think it's more that we just don't want to sit at the kids table anymore).

Steely Dan Jun 29, 2021 4:16 AM

^ speaking as an American, from our perspective, Canada will always be the kids table, for better or worse.

You don't become the most navel-gazing society in the history of our species by recognizing things beyond your borders.

kool maudit Jun 29, 2021 6:26 AM

https://i.imgur.com/jYEYsdf.gif

Centropolis Jun 29, 2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9325726)
^ speaking as an American, from our perspective, Canada will always be the kids table, for better or worse.

You don't become the most navel-gazing society in the history of our species by recognizing things beyond your borders.

cancun

Acajack Jun 29, 2021 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centropolis (Post 9325861)
cancun

:haha:

Even so, the Cancun Americans engage with in 99% is basically just a transposition of US culture onto Mexican soil.

Similarly, Paris is quite popular with Americans as well (for different reasons) but an American's Paris isn't the same as a French person's Paris.

The real Paris isn't French Kiss, Midnight in Paris or Emily in Paris, or even Gershwin's "An American in Paris".

I am not saying this to bash on Americans exclusively BTW, as all nationalities do this to some degree. (You don't want to hear me on Québécois in Cuba or the Dominican Republic.) But the level of visitor immersion in local culture does vary, and Americans tend to be on the "low immersion" side.

Steely Dan Jun 29, 2021 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9326021)
Even so, the Cancun Americans engage with in 99% is basically just a transposition of US culture onto Mexican soil.

pretty much.

cancun is just a florida beach resort with better tacos.

iheartthed Jun 29, 2021 3:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9326021)
:haha:

Similarly, Paris is quite popular with Americans as well (for different reasons) but an American's Paris isn't the same as a French person's Paris.

The real Paris isn't French Kiss, Midnight in Paris or Emily in Paris, or even Gershwin's "An American in Paris".

I am not saying this to bash on Americans exclusively BTW, as all nationalities do this to some degree. (You don't want to hear me on Québécois in Cuba or the Dominican Republic.) But the level of visitor immersion in local culture does vary, and Americans tend to be on the "low immersion" side.

This is accurate. And I actually hate traveling with those types of people.

3rd&Brown Jun 29, 2021 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9325568)

Why not? In South America, students are taught that North and South America are one continent simply called America.

Culturally, they think of themselves as new world (largely immigrant populations account for much of South America's populace in the same was as they do in North America).

It's actually very insulting to tell someone in Argentina, Chile, or Brazil that you're "American". If you do so, they'll very often say something like, "yo tambien". i.e. "Me too".

So through that lense, you could make the argument calling someone "Native American" is to merely differentiate between indigenous people and immigrants, generically, across the continent.

Acajack Jun 29, 2021 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown (Post 9326222)
Why not? In South America, students are taught that North and South America are one continent simply called America.

Culturally, they think of themselves as new world (largely immigrant populations account for much of South America's populace in the same was as they do in North America).

It's actually very insulting to tell someone in Argentina, Chile, or Brazil that you're "American". If you do so, they'll very often say something like, "yo tambien". i.e. "Me too".

So through that lense, you could make the argument calling someone "Native American" is to merely differentiate between indigenous people and immigrants, generically, across the continent.

Yeah, I know that.

My issue isn't so much with the use of the word "American", but rather the term "Native American" which is a US-invented term to describe Indigenous people in that country. Like most terms invented to describe these people, it's an awkward kludge at best. The Canadian-invented terms or terms used in other languages like Spanish, French or Portuguese aren't necessarily any less awkward, but at least they are rooted in the reality and history of their countries.

When I hear a Canadian say that such and such a person is "Native American" from the Tsawwassen reserve in BC or the Saugeen reserve in Ontario, my first thought is always that the speaker has been watching too much American TV.

Camelback Jun 29, 2021 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9321699)
Who is building the most?

Easy check: which city gained the most in population over X amount of years.

Top 15 metros, ranked by population. The percentage is the population change from 2010 to 2020.

New York City -- +1.20%
Los Angeles -- +2.19%
Chicago -- −0.58%
Dallas -- +20.85%
Houston -- +20.84%
Washington -- +11.95%
Miami -- +10.93%
Philadelphia -- +2.39%
Atlanta -- +15.15%
Phoenix -- +20.68%
Boston -- +7.16%
San Francisco -- +8.34%
Riverside -- +10.73%
Detroit -- +0.18%
Seattle -- +16.83%

Red = Under 2% growth
Magenta = 2% - 9.99% growth
Blue = 10% - 19.99%
Green = 20%+

The high growth metros are "building the most".

Steely Dan Jun 29, 2021 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9326393)
Yeah, I know that.

My issue isn't so much with the use of the word "American", but rather the term "Native American" which is a US-invented term to describe Indigenous people in that country. Like most terms invented to describe these people, it's an awkward kludge at best. The Canadian-invented terms or terms used in other languages like Spanish, French or Portuguese aren't necessarily any less awkward, but at least they are rooted in the reality and history of their countries.

When I hear a Canadian say that such and such a person is "Native American" from the Tsawwassen reserve in BC or the Saugeen reserve in Ontario, my first thought is always that the speaker has been watching too much American TV.

"native american" really is a stupid term for people of the new world who trace their ancestry back to pre-colonial times.

native means "associated with the place or circumstances of a person's birth", so that's pretty much anyone who was born here, ie. not an overseas immigrant.

"aboriginal american" would've been a million times better from a strictly definitional perspective.

Acajack Jun 29, 2021 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9326410)
"native american" really is a stupid term for people of the new world who trace their ancestry back to pre-colonial times.

native means "associated with the place or circumstances of a person's birth", so that's pretty much anyone who was born here, ie. not an overseas immigrant.

"aboriginal american" would've been a million times better from a strictly definitional perspective.

Canada's gone through lots of names as well. Aboriginal was one of them until fairly recently in fact.

It was shelved and the current term is Indigenous.

Native was also used to some degree in Canada but obviously never as "Native American". At least not by anyone even semi-official.

I've always shared the same view of you when it comes to the word "Native". It doesn't really make sense.

Interestingly, Portuguese and Spanish have the term "Amerindio" which combines the notion of the Americas with the historical error that led people to think these people were "Indians" because they thought they'd arrived in India. French also has the similar term "Amérindien" though it's definitely fallen out of favour here. "Amerindian" AFAIK has never really caught on with English speakers.

JManc Jun 29, 2021 8:39 PM

I see little issue with the terms "Native American" or "Alaska Native" as they are proper nouns (capitalized) and most people aren't confused about who they reference. if someone wrote native American, that's a little more ambiguous. Were they born in the US or are they a Native?

Steely Dan Jun 29, 2021 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9326452)
"Amerindian" AFAIK has never really caught on with English speakers.

not so much, that i'm aware of, but "american indian" was once the preferred term back in the day before "native american" took over.

Camelback Jun 29, 2021 8:51 PM

I know a great way of ending this discussion!

Just assign them a letter(s) or an emoji so we don't offend them. A feather, igloo, teepee would probably work. We have POCs, LGBTQIA+, AAPIs, AAs, WASPs, LatinX, why wouldn't it work with Indians, Native Americans, Indigenous People?

I can see it now, "NAs" or "IPs".

Acajack Jun 29, 2021 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9326475)
not so much, that i'm aware of, but "american indian" was once the preferred term back in the day before "native american" took over.

I just checked and the beautiful museum in DC is still called the Museum of the American Indian.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8881...7i16384!8i8192

It was designed by the same architect who did Canada's national history museum, which is located in my city. Note the resemblance.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4298...7i16384!8i8192

wg_flamip Jun 29, 2021 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9326452)
Canada's gone through lots of names as well. Aboriginal was one of them until fairly recently in fact.

It was shelved and the current term is Indigenous.

Native was also used to some degree in Canada but obviously never as "Native American". At least not by anyone even semi-official.

I've always shared the same view of you when it comes to the word "Native". It doesn't really make sense.

Interestingly, Portuguese and Spanish have the term "Amerindio" which combines the notion of the Americas with the historical error that led people to think these people were "Indians" because they thought they'd arrived in India. French also has the similar term "Amérindien" though it's definitely fallen out of favour here. "Amerindian" AFAIK has never really caught on with English speakers.

The word "Amerindian" was used fairly widely in some academic fields in the past, particularly anthropology and linguistics. Due to this, it does sound somewhat detached and even a bit dehumanizing (cf. "female" or "homosexual"). It never caught on in the mainstream, likely because (as noted above) "American" and related words are way more strongly associated with the US in English.

I believe we've seen the use of the word "Indigenous" really take off over the past few years because: (a) "Aboriginal" was largely used synonymously with "First Nations", thereby excluding the Inuit and Métis, and (b) the word "Indigenous" has become more clearly articulated at the international level, including in the UNDRIP.

Atlas Jun 29, 2021 9:28 PM

This thread is way off topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Hill (Post 9323525)
As for this debate over whether MSA or CSA numbers more accurately describe SLC, SLC is in a unique situation. I can’t think of another metro with a larger disparity between its CSA and MSA figures. The fact of the matter is, every American metropolis is different, and there are no perfectly defined borders that can be used to determine where exactly the edge of suburbia lies and which populations should or shouldn’t count as part of the metro.

For example, neither the MSA nor the CSA definitions work well for my current city (Denver). One excludes Boulder, which is obviously part of the metropolis; the other includes Boulder but also includes a bunch of far-off towns which are obviously not part of the metropolis. The true population of this metro is somewhere in between.

As is the case with SLC.

I’ve spent much time in that town, having been a truck driver with a dedicated route based out of SLC (Costco distribution center), which meant I spent every other night there and had countless back-hauls that led to seemingly innumerable points within the metropolis - and having visited at least once a year all throughout my life since childhood, because my family is from Sandy and most of my family still lives there. Even in my current job as a flatbed driver I’ve picked up countless loads from Interstate Brick in West Jordan, delivered countless loads to the IFA DC on West 1700 South, etc, etc, etc. I know the town well. I know many towns well.

I think all of you on either side of the “how big is SLC” debate are kidding yourselves. I think it’s obvious SLC isn’t nearly as large or prominent as its CSA peers such as St Louis or Pittsburgh. It doesn’t feel that way, on the ground, within those towns, at all; nor does it feel that way in terms of the cultural, historical and economic gravitational pull those towns exert within the American collective consciousness. It’s equally obvious SLC is far larger and more prominent than its MSA peers such as Louisville or Buffalo. Those cities don’t belong in the same conversation with SLC.

It’s somewhere in between. And unfortunately a number in between those vastly disparate CSA and MSA figures - a number that could be used to accurately rank SLC among its peers - doesn’t exist. More than any other metropolis I can think of, SLC doesn’t have a definitive size that will work within the realm of this forum and its home-town-boosting, city-vs-city culture. There just isn’t a good, useful number for poor SLC.

Edit: I propose we just use SLC’s CSA figure when we’re making comparisons, and call it good. I mean, close enough. Otherwise we’re just going to keep getting hung up on this.

Thanks for the perspective. SLC is an oddball and the CSA is very much tri-modal, both geographically and culturally, but with SLC being the clear center of power. Anyone from the SL Valley will tell people that they're "from SLC" but people from Utah County or Weber/Davis Counties won't do that despite being directly connected to it.

I guess that the original point I was making is that if it's thrown in with cities with similar MSAs like Buffalo, Grand Rapids, etc. then I think it is over-performing when it comes to building towers right now. Compared to similar CSAs, maybe not. I don't think we are having the same kind of tower boom as Nashville and Austin, but we are probably building as many residential units around the CSA as those places. There is still an ocean of underdeveloped lots around downtown that are currently being swiped up for huge low/mid-rise developments so I'd expect taller projects to start to emerge once those are all gone. In terms of SFH, I'd guess the SLC CSA is adding as much as any urban area in the country, for better or for worse.

Here's a cool image that user Blah_Amazing made a few weeks ago that shows all of SLC's active tower projects, for anyone interested:

Maldive Jun 29, 2021 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlas (Post 9326550)
This thread is way off topic.

:haha: ^^

Of the 320+ construction cranes in Toronto plus burbs, this one added today is particularly welcome (SkyTower @ 312.5m, 95s).

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/attach...42-jpg.331164/
wmedia

Wigs Jun 30, 2021 2:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9326409)
Top 15 metros, ranked by population. The percentage is the population change from 2010 to 2020.

New York City -- +1.20%
Los Angeles -- +2.19%
Chicago -- −0.58%
Dallas -- +20.85%
Houston -- +20.84%
Washington -- +11.95%
Miami -- +10.93%
Philadelphia -- +2.39%
Atlanta -- +15.15%
Phoenix -- +20.68%
Boston -- +7.16%
San Francisco -- +8.34%
Riverside -- +10.73%
Detroit -- +0.18%
Seattle -- +16.83%

Red = Under 2% growth
Magenta = 2% - 9.99% growth
Blue = 10% - 19.99%
Green = 20%+

The high growth metros are "building the most".

Thanks for the calculations. But your list is missing Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa :P