SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | NEMA Chicago | 896 FT | 81 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218570)

pilsenarch May 6, 2018 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 8177814)
Wait, why do you say 'painting' and not just painting. Is it a plaster or something, so you don't want to call it paint?

Because I am assuming that they are utilizing some kind of high performance architectural 'coating'.... but, yeah, OK, paint....

LouisVanDerWright May 6, 2018 3:45 PM

I've seen a few buildings where high performance architectural coatings have been used in a structural capacity, quite fascinating really.

ski_steve May 6, 2018 4:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wchicity (Post 8177913)
Just out of curiosity, what was so bad about NEMA in San Francisco? Had a friend who lived there, and from the one time I visited, it seemed pretty nice.

It wasn't totally bad. Lots of amenities, nice gym, and good mail area. $3200 for a studio with no AC (south facing unit) was rough. SF weather makes most of the amenities un-usable (ie roof deck, pool ect...). Location was often sketchy.

I'm surprised NEMA is a brand for Cresent Heights now, considering NEMA was meant as "NEw MArket" for Market Street. Jasper was the NEMA spin-off in SF, seemed to get better reviews. It will do well in Chicago, people seem to live for the building amenities. Curious to see what the rent will be.

Kumdogmillionaire May 6, 2018 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilsenarch (Post 8178478)
Because I am assuming that they are utilizing some kind of high performance architectural 'coating'.... but, yeah, OK, paint....

I wasn't trying to come off as aggressive if that's the vibe you got. I was legit wondering what they were doing. :shrug:

HomrQT May 6, 2018 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ski_steve (Post 8178524)
It wasn't totally bad. Lots of amenities, nice gym, and good mail area. $3200 for a studio with no AC (south facing unit) was rough. SF weather makes most of the amenities un-usable (ie roof deck, pool ect...).

I was only in San Fran for 2 days years ago. How is the weather there that prevents use of those amenities? I was always under the impression the weather was really nice out there.

jc5680 May 6, 2018 7:17 PM

They are a sensitive lot when it comes to weather out there. By Chicago standards it is essentially always beautiful.

I fly into SF every week and work in the south bay. It is usually 60s and sunny by the time I make it to work for breakfast. Of the hundreds of other people there at the campus I am on, I am often the only one eating outside.

Mr Downtown May 6, 2018 7:18 PM

^Cold and damp in the summer. As Mark Twain (didn't) say, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." Basically, the City never gets much warmer than the waters of the Pacific, and in summer the heat of the Central Valley causes onshore winds that bring 55-degree air, and afternoon fog, into the City from the west. Up on the 20th or 30th floor, there's no thermal mass or asphalt reradiation to help shelter you from that.

So the same situation folks in Museum Park have this time of year when the lake is still 50 degrees.

Rocket49 May 6, 2018 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8178594)
I was only in San Fran for 2 days years ago. How is the weather there that prevents use of those amenities? I was always under the impression the weather was really nice out there.

It's amazing how much the weather varies by location within San Francisco

On any given day, some neighborhoods are warm and sunny, while a few miles away, it will be cool and partly cloudy and you will need a jacket to be comfortable

"Micro-climates" is what I believe they call it

left of center May 6, 2018 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpireGuy (Post 8177258)
Dang. I was hoping for black/dark grey glass. Another blue tower...
:shrug:

Yeah, that was also my initial reaction seeing that glass. I was hoping for a grey/charcoal color. At the very least, it does seem to be a darker shade of blue, so hopefully that will set it apart from OMP and other blue glass towers in the immediate vicinity.

Le Baron May 7, 2018 12:26 PM

5/7/2018

Poor quality photos. Looked more gray / black than blue this morning.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/953/28...680829a3_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/978/41...9c97bee1_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/979/28...566f2085_b.jpg

Notyrview May 7, 2018 1:23 PM

Oh that's encouraging. Looks like it'll be very dark in winter, so 9 months of the year.

HomrQT May 7, 2018 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Baron (Post 8179087)
Poor quality photos. Looked more gray / black than blue this morning.

Sorry, that's blue. Just a deeper blue.

https://i.imgur.com/svFYApm.jpg

left of center May 7, 2018 6:19 PM

Looks darker (which is good) but still much bluer than the rendering depicts (which is bad).

jc5680 May 7, 2018 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8179284)
Sorry, that's blue. Just a deeper blue.

Glass is reflective, on a clear day all glass is going to pick up a certain amount of blue (particularly when photographed at a severe angle). The more neutral the color or more reflective the surface the more blue it will read.

Sampling an area of a reflection doesn't mean that is what the color of the glass is. It is a combination of the color of the glass and whatever it is reflecting.

From what I have seen it looks kind of gray.

vexxed82 May 7, 2018 7:42 PM

^ Have an upvote! (my Reddit is showing)

LouisVanDerWright May 7, 2018 7:43 PM

Yeah, it looks slightly charcoal with a silver reflective coating that is picking up some of the sky which reads as slightly blue. On a cloudy day this will probably vary between silver and grey.

HomrQT May 7, 2018 8:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8179559)
Glass is reflective, on a clear day all glass is going to pick up a certain amount of blue (particularly when photographed at a severe angle). The more neutral the color or more reflective the surface the more blue it will read.

Sampling an area of a reflection doesn't mean that is what the color of the glass is. It is a combination of the color of the glass and whatever it is reflecting.

From what I have seen it looks kind of gray.

Fair enough. Can't wait to see it in person myself!

BuildThemTaller May 7, 2018 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8179584)
Yeah, it looks slightly charcoal with a silver reflective coating that is picking up some of the sky which reads as slightly blue. On a cloudy day this will probably vary between silver and grey.

Alternatively, we could freak out, declare this a disaster, a disappointment of epic proportions, that this tower was ruined by being value engineered, and that the fate of western civilization is sealed because Chicago is overrun by yet more blue boxes.

Or we could wait a few weeks and see how it turns out.

Steely Dan May 7, 2018 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller (Post 8179667)

Or we could wait a few weeks and see how it turns out.

patience is a virtue
possess it if you can
found rarely in a woman
and never in a man

why should we use our brains and think critically about shit when jumping the gun is so much more fun?

SolarWind May 8, 2018 1:43 AM

May 7, 2018