SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Post Office Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192697)

Steely Dan Dec 27, 2019 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesrmj (Post 8785557)
Are they still doing the plans with the massive skyscrapers or not?

no.

the original scheme from Davies with those super-tall skyscrapers was always an extremely pie-in-the-sky fever-dream.

those towers have't been a thing since Davies sold the property over 3.5 years ago, just before he passed away.

despite what various corners of the internet erroneously believe, they were never actual, serious proposals.

Handro Dec 27, 2019 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesrmj (Post 8785557)
I know, I'm sorry for asking a dumb question. I just wasn't sure what had been going on because I've seen so many sources saying different things. Are they still doing the plans with the massive skyscrapers or not?

Here is a recent update on renovations (as of October). I think work on the rooftop, river walk, and tenant-specific build-outs remain:

http://www.chicagomag.com/real-estat...ost-Office/#/0

r18tdi Dec 27, 2019 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8785569)

the original scheme from Davies with those super-tall skyscrapers was always an extremely pie-in-the-sky fever-dream.

those towers have't been a thing since Davies sold the property over 3.5 years ago, just before he passed away.

despite what various corners of the internet erroneously believe, they were never actual, serious proposals.

Right. I am curious if the entitlements for those towers are still in place. Does anyone know?

LouisVanDerWright Dec 28, 2019 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 8785631)
Right. I am curious if the entitlements for those towers are still in place. Does anyone know?

The entitlements still exist, but are somewhat diminished as Davies plan called for a large chunk of the post office to be removed. Since that didn't end up happening probably 1 million SF of the FAR previously shown as other towers is now used up by the post office itself.

It's still very possible we see a supertall here eventually as the developer is unlikely to forget they have a huge entitlement for more towers here.

rivernorthlurker Jan 24, 2020 12:30 AM

Via the BMO webcam: After several months of nothing they seem to be resuming work on the OPO roof again - at least in the tiny section that is visible via the webcam.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkcon...erconstruction

https://i.imgur.com/D6MRv1w.png

KWillChicago Jan 24, 2020 12:54 AM

Just about to say, Longest. Drilling. Ever. Hope there's no financial issues.

pilsenarch Feb 29, 2020 3:07 PM

Post and images about Walgreens build-out:

http://www.sloopin.com/2020/02/a-loo...ns-office.html

Skyguy_7 Jun 10, 2020 12:58 PM

Per the BMO Tower OxBlue cam, the visible portion of OPOs rooftop terrace is just about complete. Looks very nice :slob:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkconstruction/underconstruction

ardecila Jun 25, 2020 7:23 PM

I was on a CRE webinar with some of the project team today... really incredible stories like you often get in these big historic projects.

-Building is 80% leased up
-Rooftop is substantially complete and will open to the building tenants next week (7/1)
-No public access to the rooftop at first but a restaurant of some kind is planned - yet to start concept phase, probably 2022 opening at the earliest
-Ground-level food court by 16" On Center should be starting build-out this summer, including an outdoor plaza overlooking the river
-No firm plans to build a riverwalk at this time
-Work continues at the track level to reinforce and shore up the concrete structure
-Work on the 290/Congress tunnel should also start this summer

I meant to ask about the plaza areas along Canal, but I forgot... I assume these are on hold until the city rebuilds the Canal St viaduct.

Donnie77 Jun 30, 2020 8:34 PM

Ok OPO i see you, you go girl!

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...tic-green-lid/

sentinel Jun 30, 2020 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie77 (Post 8967761)

Randomly saw that earlier on ChiArch and it looks incredible! I wonder if the beige areas on the roof are intended as later phases, or if that'll just be green roof...hard to tell in the image if it's been planted already or not :shrug:

ardecila Jul 1, 2020 2:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 8967813)
Randomly saw that earlier on ChiArch and it looks incredible! I wonder if the beige areas on the roof are intended as later phases, or if that'll just be green roof...hard to tell in the image if it's been planted already or not :shrug:

Yes, the eventual goal is to build a rooftop pavilion with some kind of restaurant... not sure who the operator will be, but it would make sense for 16" On Center since they are operating the food hall on Level 1. The beige areas appear to be gravel ballast. Supposedly the landscape also includes a lot of geofoam and topography, but you coulda fooled me seeing that aerial image.

Also forgot to mention, they bored a pair of tunnels under the river to get chilled water from the EnWave plant on Wacker. Pretty nuts.

KWillChicago Jul 1, 2020 4:09 AM

Any timeline when their supposed to work on the riverwalk and is there a final design?

Skyguy_7 Jul 1, 2020 12:41 PM

Re: the Tunnel, that is indeed nuts! Are you sure it's an actual tunnel that was built, or do you suppose they just used a horizontal drilling machine for the piping?

This would be the first new tunnel under the river that I've heard of in my lifetime. :shrug:

ardecila Jul 1, 2020 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8968163)
Any timeline when their supposed to work on the riverwalk and is there a final design?

No and no. No discussion of a riverwalk at this time.

I believe the vehicle ramp from Van Buren down to track level is still needed, either by USPS or Amtrak... so any riverwalk would have to be built out into the river, and under the Congress bridge, at a pretty steep cost.

I'm guessing we'll have to wait until 601W decides what they want to do on the Sugar House parcel (the red brick building east of the OPO).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8968291)
Re: the Tunnel, that is indeed nuts! Are you sure it's an actual tunnel that was built, or do you suppose they just used a horizontal drilling machine for the piping?

This would be the first new tunnel under the river that I've heard of in my lifetime. :shrug:

Probably the horizontal drilling machine, I'm guessing.

wchicity Jul 1, 2020 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8968291)

What exactly is this tunnel for? I must have missed this one...

SIGSEGV Jul 14, 2020 4:09 AM

Good omen or bad omen? (maybe tomorrow night I'll bring my tripod out there so I can do a better image stack...)

https://i.imgur.com/Po1xTdfh.jpg

full size: https://i.imgur.com/Po1xTdf.jpg

r18tdi Jul 14, 2020 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8980368)
Good omen or bad omen?

Had to squint a bit, but I can see the comet. Nice shot.

SIGSEGV Jul 14, 2020 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 8980832)
Had to squint a bit, but I can see the comet. Nice shot.

yeah not visible to the naked eye due to the light pollution, but I was able to find it by taking a few pictures until I saw it.

Skyguy_7 Jul 15, 2020 12:11 PM

Are we admiring the dim comet or how lit up the Old Post Office is! It's come a long way. What a sight to behold :cheers:

sentinel Sep 25, 2020 2:08 PM

Crains had photos of the completed rooftop from a recent article:

https://s3-prod.chicagobusiness.com/...3/IMG_9233.jpg

https://s3-prod.chicagobusiness.com/..._DSC01231.JPEG
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...e-rooftop-park
(sorry, always a paywall, just sharing link for reference)

The Sun-Times has an article too with even more images
https://chicago.suntimes.com/busines...-space-tenants

I love that they included an apiary! Gotta support the bees!

SteelMonkey Sep 25, 2020 5:32 PM

^ Never noticed the Chicago grid mural on the elevator shaft of 300 S Wacker. Hiding in plain sight for me.

SIGSEGV Sep 25, 2020 5:44 PM

Hmm, is this going to be visitable at OHC this year? If so, might be one of the first on my list...

Skyguy_7 Sep 25, 2020 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelMonkey (Post 9053677)
^ Never noticed the Chicago grid mural on the elevator shaft of 300 S Wacker. Hiding in plain sight for me.

Yes sir, and it was topic of conversation here in the General Developments when they were painting it. There's a red rectangle where the building is located. Essentially a 300' tall "you are here" map. Beats a big blank wall by a million. :cheers:

ardecila Sep 25, 2020 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9053691)
Hmm, is this going to be visitable at OHC this year? If so, might be one of the first on my list...

I don't think so. OHC is all self-guided and virtual this year, they will have driving/walking tours but you won't be able to go into any buildings.

This rooftop is technically outdoors, but I don't think they would be able to bring crowds up the elevators safely.

I saw a presentation by some of the project team, they did hint that there might be a public bar/restaurant opening up here in the next few years. IIRC they have reserved space for such a restaurant, you can see portions of the roof are still just gravel.

marothisu Mar 23, 2021 10:01 PM

OPO gets a new tenant

Codal Moves Its HQ to Old Post Office Building, Plans to Double Headcount

https://www.builtinchicago.org/2021/...-office-hiring

Quote:

On Monday, Codal announced that it will be moving its headquarters from 11 E. Hubbard Street in River North to 433 W. Van Buren Street — the address of Chicago’s historic Old Post Office building.

Codal says the move will give it access to approximately 17,000 additional square feet. It also gives the company access to some major corporate brands as neighbors, including PepsiCo, Uber and Walgreens.

Codal is expecting to complete the move some time this summer. And in order to fill out its new space, the company plans to go on a hiring spree. Codal says it plans to double its employee headcount, which currently sits at 50+ people. This hiring will take place over the next few years in order to help Codal meet growing customer demand. The company currently has over a dozen open Chicago-based job listings in roles across design, engineering, product and more.

Codal is a UX design firm that teams up with brands in order to help them perfect their online presence. This involves services like web and mobile development, e-commerce development, establishing a digital strategy, identifying emerging technology and website maintenance. Over 160 companies both large and small have partnered with Codal as customers.

ardecila Mar 24, 2021 5:22 AM

Good news on the new tenants, especially with Uber/Uber Freight scaling back.

OPO is almost done with their riverfront plaza as well, which will allow outdoor dining for the food hall. That should be a nice spot to grab lunch once it opens!

donnie Mar 24, 2021 5:52 PM

i thought i was looking at renders, my god what an amazing job they did!

Stay in the burbs but as soon as i get my shot i'm going to be down there every weekend...

marothisu Apr 7, 2021 1:13 AM

New building permit was just issued yesterday for Uber to build out their office space here to the tune of $55M estimated cost.

Floor 8: South (partial)
Floor 9: South (full)
Floor 10: Southeast (full)
Floor 12: North (full)

Their lease is for around 460K sq ft, but they put up 150K sq ft for sublease. Still building out 310K sq ft which is still pretty large. Definitely large enough for a few thousand people. According to a Sun Times article in February, Uber hasn't really changed their plans for Chicago which still means they want to hire a few thousand people

harryc May 2, 2021 9:47 PM

April 26

Skyguy_7 May 3, 2021 12:56 PM

Gorgeous! Looks like a rendering :cheers:

nomarandlee May 3, 2021 3:00 PM

It is gorgeous. Still anticipating what the outside public areas near the riverwalk and off Clinton will look like though. As well as what the long-term plans for the annex on the south side will be.

I would think that signed leases have surpassed expectations, I would hope there is no reason to cheap out on those areas.

IrishIllini May 3, 2021 8:04 PM

Looks like an airport in Sim City, but the shots I've seen from the actual rooftop are much nicer.

jbermingham123 May 4, 2021 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishIllini (Post 9268461)
Looks like an airport in Sim City, but the shots I've seen from the actual rooftop are much nicer.

Business Commuters Clamour For Airport Glamour!

left of center May 4, 2021 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 9267575)
April 26

Awesome shot Harry!

When is that craptastic suburban Holiday Inn going to bite the dust? It's demise seems to get closer every year... that land is too valuable to be 80% parking lot/20% exurban-style motel...

ardecila May 5, 2021 2:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 9268095)
It is gorgeous. Still anticipating what the outside public areas near the riverwalk and off Clinton will look like though. As well as what the long-term plans for the annex on the south side will be.

I would think that signed leases have surpassed expectations, I would hope there is no reason to cheap out on those areas.

The Canal St-side plaza will need to wait until the city rebuilds the crumbling viaduct it sits on. Every year they say it will happen but it keeps getting pushed back. I think there is TIF money allocated from the Rahm days to pay for the landscaping part of the project, but it will be controlled and managed by the owners of OPO.

aaron38 Jul 12, 2021 1:44 AM

Speaking of tech jobs downtown, one of my engineers just got poached by Milwaukee Tools. I asked if he was moving to WI, and he said they’re opening up a new office in the OPO. I don’t know how many employees. Another win. Had that been reported?

LouisVanDerWright Jul 12, 2021 2:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 9337360)
Speaking of tech jobs downtown, one of my engineers just got poached by Milwaukee Tools. I asked if he was moving to WI, and he said they’re opening up a new office in the OPO. I don’t know how many employees. Another win. Had that been reported?

I believe I read somewhere that Milwaukee Tool was opening some kind of engineering office here.

Also just bought a new impact driver and drill set from them last weekend and they are manufacturered in Mexico now instead of China. Big time win for their quality IMO and for the ongoing restoring of manufacturing chains to North America...

Randomguy34 Jul 12, 2021 3:02 AM

Has Chicago finally crossed the tipping point for attracting tech jobs? It feels like every week for the past 2 months there's been a relocation/branch announcement in Fulton Market/West Loop

emathias Jul 12, 2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomguy34 (Post 9337405)
Has Chicago finally crossed the tipping point for attracting tech jobs? It feels like every week for the past 2 months there's been a relocation/branch announcement in Fulton Market/West Loop

What are you even talking about? Chicago has had a strong tech scene for decades. Comparing it to the Bay Area isn't really a reasonable comparison, but by almost any other measure Chicago more than holds its own when it comes to tech, and has for decades.

the urban politician Jul 12, 2021 12:45 PM

^ It depends:

If "tipping point" means has Chicago made any gains on other regions of the country, then the answer is, and probably always shall be, no.

If "tipping point" means does Chicago already have a lot of people working in tech? Of course, that never was an issue.

marothisu Jul 12, 2021 1:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 9337512)
What are you even talking about? Chicago has had a strong tech scene for decades. Comparing it to the Bay Area isn't really a reasonable comparison, but by almost any other measure Chicago more than holds its own when it comes to tech, and has for decades.

I'm guessing it has more to do with having a more diversified ecosystem within the industry with more options. Chicago area has had a lot of tech/IT for a long time but I don't think anyone can deny the last 8 or so years has seen some pretty big growth as far as diversification, number of companies, etc goes. My guess is that the poster is referring more to that. Chicago VC funding is already at around $4B this year too, which if I remember correctly would be on par with the LA area from a few years ago. At least from my perspective, Chicago right now looks much better for tech even if the number of tech workers in the area has been outpaced by other areas percentage wise.

west-town-brad Jul 12, 2021 2:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 9337550)
I'm guessing it has more to do with having a more diversified ecosystem within the industry with more options. Chicago area has had a lot of tech/IT for a long time but I don't think anyone can deny the last 8 or so years has seen some pretty big growth as far as diversification, number of companies, etc goes. My guess is that the poster is referring more to that. Chicago VC funding is already at around $4B this year too, which if I remember correctly would be on par with the LA area from a few years ago. At least from my perspective, Chicago right now looks much better for tech even if the number of tech workers in the area has been outpaced by other areas percentage wise.

also, what is "tech" anymore? is walmart any more or less "tech" than amazon?

if you consider software developers as the only true tech workers, those people are everywhere but yes there are a lot in the san fran bay area

marothisu Jul 12, 2021 2:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west-town-brad (Post 9337613)
also, what is "tech" anymore? is walmart any more or less "tech" than amazon?

if you consider software developers as the only true tech workers, those people are everywhere but yes there are a lot in the san fran bay area

I agree. The roles today and definitions today are even different than a decade ago. The amount of people and roles to pull this stuff off has grown a bit too. Product roles, for example, are also tech much of the time.

I personally take anyone who works on a tech product to be a tech worker no matter the company. I used to work for a stereotypical "tech company " but not anymore. My entire org, though, is larger than a lot of large tech companies. We have the same roles as a tech company, we use a lot of the same technology, doing a lot of the same things. I work with former employees of Google, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, IBM, Salesforce, etc etc. We use a lot of the same methodologies, processes,, etc as them.. But how many people recognize us as "tech workers"? It's so sad it's funny. By the way we are hiring something like 250 tech workers in Chicago right now but alas, that doesn't make the news.

There's always been a bunch of tech workers in Chicago but it's more visible now because of the startup ecosystem and large increase of VC funding in a relatively short period of time. Ultimately this is a good thing to be diversified whether you can work in the financial industry, retail industry, at a startup, or an established tech company.

the urban politician Jul 12, 2021 3:13 PM

I am a "tech" worker.

I spend all day having to use a POS electronic medical record system that is clumsy and designed by dingleberries that I'm sure I'm 100 times smarter than, but because all of my data entry is done on this thing, and I spend more time doing this than talking to patients, I'm officially a "tech" worker :D

Randomguy34 Jul 12, 2021 6:18 PM

^ at this point you should say you're working a double-shift with how much trouble machines have given you ;)

Back to "tipping point", I was referring to the city core itself being the site of attracting jobs. Metro Detroit has the 2nd highest concentration of tech jobs, next to Silicon Valley. Even though a lot are in automotive and other jobs that wouldn't traditionally be considered "tech", many outsiders are surprised by the abundance of jobs in computer science and engineering. However, most of these jobs aren't in Detroit itself, so growth has occured in the burbs. It's only been the past decade Detroit is starting to witness this tipping point of hires and expansions being in the city itself. Consequentially, investors that had otherwise stayed clear of Detroit are becoming confident with investing in the city, now that they're realizing the metro has a large ecosystem

I was wondering if Chicago has crossed a similar tipping point, where companies and investors that wouldn't have even considered us are now rethinking their decision. The amount of VC funding Chicago has attracted seems to be a sign of that, but are there any other markers that might indicate this

moorhosj1 Jul 12, 2021 6:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomguy34 (Post 9337927)
I was wondering if Chicago has crossed a similar tipping point, where companies and investors that wouldn't have even considered us are now rethinking their decision. The amount of VC funding Chicago has attracted seems to be a sign of that, but are there any other markers that might indicate this

Great question. I would add the "growth in residents with at least a bachelor's degree" and "growth in residents making $100k+ with head of household under 45."
  1. In 2016, 38.5 percent of the city’s population 25 or older had at least a bachelor’s degree, a jump from 29.3 percent in 2006, according to the American Community Survey. Crain’s reported that that increase is higher than the country’s other four largest cities and is more than twice the national increase of 4.3 percent.
  2. Between 2010 and 2016, the city of Chicago gained more households in a key category—total income of more than $100,000 with the head of household under age 45—than any city in the country except for far larger New York, according to newly analyzed U.S. Census Bureau data.

marothisu Jul 12, 2021 8:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomguy34 (Post 9337927)
^ at this point you should say you're working a double-shift with how much trouble machines have given you ;)

Back to "tipping point", I was referring to the city core itself being the site of attracting jobs. Metro Detroit has the 2nd highest concentration of tech jobs, next to Silicon Valley. Even though a lot are in automotive and other jobs that wouldn't traditionally be considered "tech", many outsiders are surprised by the abundance of jobs in computer science and engineering. However, most of these jobs aren't in Detroit itself, so growth has occured in the burbs. It's only been the past decade Detroit is starting to witness this tipping point of hires and expansions being in the city itself. Consequentially, investors that had otherwise stayed clear of Detroit are becoming confident with investing in the city, now that they're realizing the metro has a large ecosystem

Yup. In the case of Chicago, a lot is in financial/banking services, insurance, consulting, etc. That can actually be a very good thing as creating the tech is just one part of the equation. The other part is the actual business ideas, management, marketing, execution, etc. As a tech person, I feel like I've grown a lot more in terms or being able to run my own company because of my role in a non tech company to be completely honest. I did not get that in my other roles at tech companies as much. I think a lot of people in my same boat CAN create for more "talent" for startup and new company creation. Chicago in this regard isn't that much different than NYC but NYC is far ahead in this whole startup thing and what not.

By the way in 2019, the LA area took in $7.8B in VC funding. Thru the first 6 months of 2021, Chicago area took in $3.9B and some change. Who knows if that same velocity will hold in the 2nd half of the year but the pace for Chicago could set it equal to what LA was at in 2019. Who knows if it'll even come close but we'll see, and what 2022 has in store. But when you think about it, it's actually potentially amazing. Chicago area thru the first 6 months basically outraised, in publicly known deals, what all of 2020 did by about $1B. The vast majority of these companies, by the way, are located in the city proper.

The thing about "tech" is that the public is really only intune to what they are using. From that perspective z having the Facebook, Apple and Google of the world there is a good thing for attracting even more talent. However, there's a lot of good talent in most of the major metro areas who have a lot of economic activity that requires, these days actual tech (i.e. finance, insurance, retail operations like Wal Mart, medical, etc).

By the way, Lightfoot recently led a coalition of CEOs and others to try and get companies to open in Chicago even though some have been a little. A little page out of the books of mayors like Rahm. Let's see if it's at all successful.

BVictor1 Aug 13, 2021 2:17 PM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ce-lands-cisco

August 13, 2021 08:00 AM AN HOUR AGO

Old Post Office lands Cisco

In a deal that's been two years in the making, the IT giant is leasing about 135,000 square feet.

A.D. QUIG

Quote:

IT giant Cisco Systems is leaving its Rosemont location to create a new "Midwest regional hub" based out of the Old Main Post Office, closing on a deal that’s been on the table for over two years.

The company will occupy just under 135,000 square feet in the massive building at 433 W. Van Buren St., space to accommodate approximately 1,200 employees.

“The Chicago office will serve as a collaboration experience center space where teams can come together under a hybrid work model and will include a vibrant backyard where all can explore, connect, and deepen the company’s ties to the city,” according to a city release.

west-town-brad Aug 13, 2021 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 9364013)
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ce-lands-cisco

August 13, 2021 08:00 AM AN HOUR AGO

Old Post Office lands Cisco

In a deal that's been two years in the making, the IT giant is leasing about 135,000 square feet.

A.D. QUIG

Cisco still exists?