SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 130 N Franklin | 751 FT | 51 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199537)

donnie Sep 3, 2022 2:49 PM

/\ preach!!!

Handro Sep 3, 2022 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree (Post 9720696)
While I'm certainly disappointed in the actions of 20 years ago, I don't think it's the best representation of today's Chicago. We, as a city, have (hopefully) moved on, and I don't think it's in the best prudence to bring up 1000' pie-in-the-sky skyscrapers as copium. This city is very complex. It is no NY. We have many intricate problems, politics, and peoples that make us not NY. I'm tired of individuals making the height argument here.

I wouldn't be so sure we've moved on considering how close those two buildings on State are to being demolished for very specious "security" concerns.

galleyfox Sep 3, 2022 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 9720853)
I wouldn't be so sure we've moved on considering how close those two buildings on State are to being demolished for very specious "security" concerns.

That’s the Federal Government. The GSA doesn’t have to listen to a couple of paranoid likely-suburban headcases.

Otherwise the city would have just eminent domained the two buildings long ago.

HomrQT Oct 9, 2022 4:51 AM

Did they get an extension on this project or did the approval from the city expire?

dweeprise Oct 10, 2022 6:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 9755748)
Did they get an extension on this project or did the approval from the city expire?

looks like it has expired: https://gisapps.chicago.gov/gisimage...pds/PD1293.pdf

r18tdi Oct 11, 2022 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweeprise (Post 9756467)

Good riddance, the updated design for the office tower was a VE'd box with none of the angled glass. They should consider building 600 - 800 apartments here instead.

twister244 Oct 11, 2022 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 9757129)
Good riddance, the updated design for the office tower was a VE'd box with none of the angled glass. They should consider building 600 - 800 apartments here instead.

I would prefer to see someone propose an ambitious building here at some point. But yeah, happy to see this one die.

BuildThemTaller Oct 11, 2022 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9757139)
I would prefer to see someone propose an ambitious building here at some point. But yeah, happy to see this one die.

I thought the proposed building was ambitious, unless you are suggesting something eclipsing 900 ft.

UrbanDweller98 Oct 11, 2022 4:39 PM

With Google coming to the Loop in 4 years this will be the perfect spot for a residential or mixed-use supertall

lakeshoredrive Oct 11, 2022 4:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanDweller98 (Post 9757158)
With Google coming to the Loop in 4 years this will be the perfect spot for a residential or mixed-use supertall

I agree. Fingers crossed something excellent can be built here.

lakeshoredrive Oct 11, 2022 4:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toasty Joe (Post 9757152)
please something over 1100 and not blue glass. This area of the Loop/skyline could use it

I’d like to see silver cladded building with gold/black fins and terracotta details

Steely Dan Oct 11, 2022 4:55 PM

is there anyone who's actually sad that this thing died on the vine?

https://i.postimg.cc/50PC6jKT/4998f3...5357-s-4-2.jpg

Rizzo Oct 11, 2022 5:17 PM

I’d love to see JPMorgan Chase build a slender trophy skyscraper there with absurd floor to floor heights that push 1100’ to 1300’ tall

mh777 Oct 11, 2022 5:24 PM

They should build a supertall with similar configuration to 300 N Michigan (hotel + apartments). There aren't any worthwhile hotels in that immediate area, plus as UrbanDweller mentioned, Google adding 5k+ jobs will definitely spur the need of more high end housing. I have a feeling this permit expiring was a huge blessing in disguise.

Zapatan Oct 11, 2022 5:57 PM

Quote:

is there anyone who's actually sad that this thing died on the vine?
Yea something more creative than an exact clone of several existing buildings in the area would be great.

Is there still a chance Chase could get a hold this site? And if they did what are the odds they go mixed-use?

That could be pretty epic... no more blown opportunities hopefully.

Steely Dan Oct 11, 2022 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9757258)

Is there still a chance Chase could get a hold this site? And if they did what are the odds they go mixed-use?

quite low, i'd say.

large scale office/residential mixed-use towers haven't been built in chicago for over 30 years now.

Zapatan Oct 11, 2022 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9757265)
quite low, i'd say.

large scale office/residential mixed-use towers haven't been built in chicago for over 30 years now.

Aren't Vista and Trump mixed use? (Hotel/Residential)

Tribune East Tower is supposed to be mixed use as well, no?

Steely Dan Oct 11, 2022 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9757300)
Aren't Vista and Trump mixed use? (Hotel/Residential)

i specifically said "large scale office/residential mixed-use".

Chase is not going to develop the piece of land in question into a hotel/condo tower.

Zapatan Oct 11, 2022 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9757307)
i specifically said "large scale office/residential mixed-use".

Chase is not going to develop the piece of land in question into a hotel/condo tower.

Missed that, my bad.

I just fear that a pure office tower wouldn't top 900 or so feet. 1,100+ would be a better height for this parcel.

Chisouthside Oct 11, 2022 7:06 PM

A friend of mine who works in the area that finances major projects for Chase told me he keeps hearing chatter from his higher ups regarding a replacement Chase tower. Who knows how true that is and whether it would be here but its nice to dream!

Steely Dan Oct 11, 2022 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9757319)

I just fear that a pure office tower wouldn't top 900 or so feet. 1,100+ would be a better height for this parcel.

Yeah, a pure office tower most likely wouldn't, unless it has some egregious cheater spire or other such decorative rooftop adornment.

In the entire history of Chicago, there have only been two office towers built with occupiable height above 900', Sears and Aon, and they're both now nearing a half-century old.

I wouldn't bet on a third happening anytime soon. Not if the past is anything to go on....

Zapatan Oct 11, 2022 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9757340)
Yeah, a pure office tower most likely wouldn't, unless it has some egregious cheater spire or other such decorative rooftop adornment.

In the entire history of Chicago, there have only been two office towers built with occupiable height above 900', Sears and Aon, and they're both now nearing a half-century old.

I wouldn't place any bets on a third happening anytime soon. Not if the past is anything to go on....

You never know though, it's easier to build very tall buildings with modern technology. Maybe we're overdo.

Philly and SF managed to pull it off relatively recently. Cheating spires are dumb but decorative rooftop adornments are okay I guess.

UrbanDweller98 Oct 11, 2022 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9757319)
Missed that, my bad.

If you look at the committee on design review files for 655 W Madison there was a proposed design from 2021 for a 971' tower on the site before they shifted to the current, shorter dual tower plan.

https://chicago.urbanize.city/sites/...?itok=_UWurISe

It lines up with this GM Today article from 2021 which stated that the John Buck Company pitched the site to JPMorgan. Suffice to say that if JPMorgan does build a new tower it will be a supertall or near supertall.

https://www.gmtoday.com/business/cha...dda6db455.html

Steely Dan Oct 11, 2022 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9757351)
Philly and SF managed to pull it off relatively recently.

and they were both for hometown HQ trophy towers (comcast & salesforce, respectively).

if you wanna clue as to what kinda building chase might occupy in chicago, look at the building that salesforce is putting their name on.

If chase does anchor a new tower in chicago, i will be quite surprised if it has occupiable height above 900'.

ORD2010 Oct 12, 2022 2:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9757401)
and they were both for hometown HQ trophy towers (comcast & salesforce, respectively).

if you wanna clue as to what kinda building chase might occupy in chicago, look at the building that salesforce is putting their name on.

If chase does anchor a new tower in chicago, i will be quite surprised if it has occupiable height above 900'.

I might be mistaking, but isnt Chase Banking HQ'ed in Chicago? with parent company JP Morgan Chase being in NY?

Zapatan Oct 12, 2022 5:52 PM

^ Chase is HQ'd in NYC I believe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9757401)

Salesforce isn't Chase though, but you may be right. The article in the post before yours does give me a little hope though.

I'm not sure if it'll end up exactly 1m SF like the article says or if they'll go for more. Salesforce's Tower in SF is 1.4m SF for reference.

Steely Dan Oct 12, 2022 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9758271)
^ Chase is HQ'd in NYC I believe

Chase's north american commercial and retail banking operations are technically HQ'ed in chicago, but it's not the same thing at all as the alpha-dog HQ of the whole damn company located in NYC, which has always steered the overall ship.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9758271)
Salesforce's Tower in SF is 1.4m SF for reference.

and salesforce's tower in chicago is 1.6M SF

Zapatan Oct 12, 2022 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9758280)
Chase's north american commercial and retail banking operations are technically HQ'ed in chicago, but it's not the same thing at all as the alpha-dog HQ of the whole damn company located in NYC, which has always steered the overall ship.

I see, you'd think that they'd still want something more elegant in Chicago then. Maybe not to the extent of their NYC tower, but a landmark nonetheless.

Quote:

and salesforce's tower in chicago is 1.6M SF
Yea, I think the footprint of this site is a bit smaller though, couple that with the fact that Chase may hopefully build super high trading floors and bam, 1k+ foot building. Chase has much deeper pockets than Salesforce (and Comcast for that matter).

I'm assuming it's just a rumor that they're building an office tower in Chicago though, nothing concrete yet?

Steely Dan Oct 12, 2022 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9758437)
I see, you'd think that they'd still want something more elegant in Chicago then. Maybe not to the extent of their NYC tower, but a landmark nonetheless.

they already have a very elegant landmark tower in chicago that the rumor mill says they're looking to move out of.

https://images.skyscrapercenter.com/...-w-cahill4.jpg
Source: https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...hase-tower/779

i doubt any new tower chase might occupy will be substantially taller than their current chicago home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9758437)
I'm assuming it's just a rumor that they're building an office tower in Chicago though, nothing concrete yet?

just a technical correction, but Chase almost certainly won't build a new chicago tower themselves.

they'll partner with a local developer on a new office tower development and then anchor that new tower, just as BofA and BMO did.

Zapatan Oct 12, 2022 11:52 PM

Quote:

they already have a very elegant landmark tower in chicago that the rumor mill says they're looking to move out of.
Well, "elegant" is subjective I guess, something more elegant than that for a company like Chase.

Quote:

i doubt any new tower chase might occupy will be substantially taller than their current chicago home.
That's sad if true. I remember when it was rumored to be 98 stories, not sure how that started but that doesn't sound likely. Especially if it'll only be around 1m SF.

Hopefully the design is at least amazing and it isn't some blue box.

Kamms Oct 12, 2022 11:56 PM

There’s 2 lots here with W. Court Pl cutting thru the middle of the site. Hoping with a new plan we’ll see the smaller, north lot go residential/hotel >1000’ and the south lot along Washington can be your 800’ office building.

Always seemed like an odd site to combine for one fat ass tower IMO. Maybe as demand creeps up like we’re seeing, someone could see my vision thru.

Randomguy34 Nov 25, 2022 7:54 PM

This project is still alive, and damn do the new renderings look good!

PD: https://gisapps.chicago.gov/gisimage...pds/PD1293.pdf

mh777 Nov 25, 2022 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomguy34 (Post 9799512)
This project is still alive, and damn do the new renderings look good!

PD: https://gisapps.chicago.gov/gisimage...pds/PD1293.pdf

Woah! Looks like they were granted a 1 year extension to find an anchor tenant. JP Morgan Chase anyone?

JMKeynes Nov 25, 2022 8:17 PM

Very nice.

rgarri4 Nov 25, 2022 8:26 PM

Nice. I like the interchanging terraces. It'll bring some variety to the loop. I kinda wish there were more of them, however then it would start to look like those Aqua copycats in Toronto.

lakeshoredrive Nov 25, 2022 8:49 PM

Still too short. Needs to be 900 feet or taller to stand out...

thegoatman Nov 25, 2022 8:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive (Post 9799545)
Still too short. Needs to be 900 feet or taller to stand out...

if there was a west loop-esque boom happening downtown I would say that, but its been quiet as hell development wise over there so we better just take what we can get...

if this was any other city, a 700 footer would be skyline changing. But here it's just infill. Either way, hope to see this massive vacant lot bite the dust

Zapatan Nov 25, 2022 9:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mh777 (Post 9799525)
Woah! Looks like they were granted a 1 year extension to find an anchor tenant. JP Morgan Chase anyone?

If that does happen I hope they go much taller. 730' in the middle of the Chicago loop is so underwhelming. Insofar that a 12 - 1,300 footer would really be more ideal.

The terraces do look cool though, other than that it's just a blue box. Way too many blue boxes in this area.

Ricochet48 Nov 25, 2022 11:57 PM

Wow love the wavy terraces, this new render looks great! Hope it gets built.

sentinel Nov 26, 2022 2:55 PM

https://chicagoyimby.com/2022/11/red...-the-loop.html

https://chicagoyimby.com/wp-content/...01-777x498.png

https://chicagoyimby.com/wp-content/...2-1024x532.png

https://chicagoyimby.com/wp-content/...6-1024x556.png

https://chicagoyimby.com/wp-content/...7-1024x657.png

I really dig this

rivernorthlurker Nov 26, 2022 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 9799898)

Phenomenal if they build it. I'm so scared of the VE axe though. But this is great news that they've actively put some serious time into the redesign. That 20th floor roof/restaurant whatever would be a 10/10 as would be the terraced gardens on the lower floors.

Is there any info on square footage? I didn't see any in the pdf. I'm gonna guess 1.3 million as those bottom floor plates are very bulky. I would love to see a hotel component on this site but I'll take this any day.

UrbanDweller98 Nov 26, 2022 3:14 PM

730' at this location is so meh. The terraces and sky garden are cool at least, hopefully it won't be dumbed down if they find a tenant.

Still hoping JP Morgan Chase chooses this location and gives us a 900' signature Tower...one can hope.

marothisu Nov 26, 2022 3:56 PM

That big terrace is pretty cool, but the rest of it reminds me of a regular glass box apartment or condo building.

BVictor1 Nov 26, 2022 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 9799928)
That big terrace is pretty cool, but the rest of it reminds me of a regular glass box apartment or condo building.

That’s my sentiment. I need to see renderings of the other side. The flat facade comes off as extremely boring. I almost hope Related/WL lands Chase, but we’ll see.

Steely Dan Nov 26, 2022 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 9799898)

Thank Pizza God that ultra-boring placeholder design in the middle is gone forever.

The new design looks promising, but as someone else mentioned, it looks ripe for the VE hatchet.

Zapatan Nov 26, 2022 6:20 PM

The middle design was super boring, glad that's no longer a thing.

The balconies of the new one kind of remind me of something out of Singapore, they're pretty cool and I hope they remain untouched.

It's sad how negative everything is surrounding development is these days. A semi decent proposal arises and the immediate (yet unfortunately realistic) reaction is that it must be too good to be true and we'll be VE'd to death.

Quote:

Still hoping JP Morgan Chase chooses this location and gives us a 900' signature Tower...one can hope.
Given their baller NYC tower, they go big, and have deep pockets.

900' is also meh and really is not much on the global stage these days, or in Chicago.

marothisu Nov 26, 2022 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 9799967)
That’s my sentiment. I need to see renderings of the other side. The flat facade comes off as extremely boring. I almost hope Related/WL lands Chase, but we’ll see.

Yeah for sure. I think for JPMC, it would be somewhat of a statement piece. Probably not as good as the under construction new NYC HQ building, but it has to be visible. Word on the street is that Dimon wanted to compete with the new B of A and BMO buildings right? So why would JPMC abandon their 850 foot tower for a 730 foot one that's even less visible? The West Loop space makes more sense from that specific to be honest, unless they want to add about 300 more feet onto this one.

And yeah the top portion is incredibly boxy and boring. The bottom portion is only cool because of that cool terrace portion. And the terraces up from an office perspective aren't even practical for a lot. In one of my company's buildings in NYC, there's a big terrace on the 16th floor but we never once used it out of abundance of caution/danger. They refused any of us to step out there.

Zapatan Nov 26, 2022 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 9800005)
So why would JPMC abandon their 850 foot tower for a 730 foot one that's even less visible? The West Loop space makes more sense from that specific to be honest, unless they want to add about 300 more feet onto this one.

Yea it's a total waste of a site, but it's not known whether Chase will anchor it. If they do, hopefully they'll want a signature tower in the area, being Chase.

They'll probably put a logo on it though (which I personally wouldn't mind).

rgarri4 Nov 26, 2022 11:36 PM

Was there ever an impression that there would be an 800' or higher skyscraper here? From what I've seen all of the proposals from the past 10 or so years have always been around the same height.

Randomguy34 Nov 26, 2022 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarri4 (Post 9800155)
Was there ever an impression that there would be an 800' or higher skyscraper here? From what I've seen all of the proposals from the past 10 or so years have always been around the same height.

No, people on the forum just wished it would be taller