SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

Mackerm Jul 29, 2022 4:56 AM

:previous:

Looks like we have another survivor! The building at 1438 2nd Street, Santa Monica is still there. This is from the Wikipedia page on The Prospect Studios. It says Vitagraph's location on Prospect replaced the one in Santa Monica. I don't know if this jibes with the description "up in the mountains."

odinthor Jul 29, 2022 12:33 PM

:previous:

Built 1875!

https://www.smconservancy.org/property/rapp-saloon/

HossC Jul 29, 2022 6:53 PM

:previous:

Here are a couple of previous posts from 2016. The first is from e_r::

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7285771)

The Rapp Saloon has only been mentioned once before on NLA (but no photograph)

I found this image from a 1985 calendar.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...911/bHE3Db.jpg
eBay

from this
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...908/nU2sCP.jpg
eBay

Good news...it was saved! Today, the old Rapp Saloon stands in front of a hostel & next to an Italian restaurant.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...905/F2uuX2.jpg
gsv

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...908/MVvDiW.jpg
gsv

What a great little building!

And a reply from Tourmaline:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tourmaline (Post 7285823)

Quote:

The Rapp Saloon, at 1438 Second St., was built in 1875 and is the oldest surviving brick building in the city. This one-story structure was designed for William Rapp by a contractor known only as Mr. Freeman. The building was constructed by Spencer & Pugh bricklayers and plasterers. It was the first masonry structure in Santa Monica. An 1877 advertisement in the Santa Monica Outlook called the establishment the “Los Angeles Beer Garden” with “fresh-tapped Los Angeles beer always on hand.”

Over the years, the property has had a variety of purposes, including a Salvation Army meeting hall, radiator repair shop, art gallery and storage facility for the Vitagraph Film Co.. Founded in 1911, Vitagraph Film Co. was one of the first movie studios in the Los Angeles area. The Rapp Saloon even served as Santa Monica’s City Hall for two years, and was the city's first landmark. http://www.santamonicalandmarks.com/landmk28.html
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9a6259c340.jpghttps://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9a6259c340.jpg

http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/00/46/43/08_big.jpghttp://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/00/46/43/08_big.jpg


odinthor Jul 29, 2022 8:23 PM

To add to the William Rapp file:

Here’s what I have on William Rapp in my own private notes, namely: ca. 1840, born in Germany; 1870, present in L.A. as a saloon keeper with savings of $400; 1872, located on Sanchez St.; May 12, 1874, seemingly the William Rapp who married Lizzie Williams in Los Angeles; 1881, selling liquor at 130 Main St. (L.A.), but “res Santa Monica”; 1886, “liquors and cigars” in Santa Monica “Second bet Utah and Oregon avs”; 1887, perhaps the William Rapp who was fined $20 for disturbing the peace; in 1893, a William Rapp at Santa Monica—I suspect the son of “our” Rapp—was doing well in swimming competitions at Santa Monica, and again in 1896 (when Leo Carrillo was also a competitor; in 1898 in a similar competition, Carrillo was “the champion”; and this indeed seems to be later actor Leo Carrillo, born 1880, whose father was sometime police chief, and then mayor, of Santa Monica). In September, 1896, under heading Santa Monica Brevities: “The house occupied by Mr. and Mrs. William Rapp, on Second street, between Utah and Oregon avenues, was entered Sunday evening while they were absent, and a large sum of money was stolen. The amount taken is reported to exceed $500, and is said to be Mrs. Rapp’s savings for over a year. There is but a slight clew by which to trace the theft to the guilty person” (LAT 9/3/1896). Rapp prevailed in some boxing at Santa Monica on September 11, 1896. February, 1899, “Mrs. Elizabeth Rapp asks for letters of administration of the $650 estate of William Rapp, her deceased husband”; In July 1899, William Rapp (Jr.?) and brother (?) Carl Rapp were among the competitors in swimming at Santa Monica, but it seems came in fourth and fifth (Carrillo was second).

There was a farmer William Rapp who was active at Cahuenga for a time, by 1887. I think he isn’t our William Rapp; but for what it's worth said Cahuenga Rapp was 1892 being sued for obstructing plaintiff Cox’s passage on a road at Cahuenga; and a few days later said Rapp brought suit to “quiet title to twenty acres of land in section 9, township 1 S., range 14 W.”; in 1895, farmer Rapp was in court testifying concerning “the Roscoe robbery,” allegedly committed by the defendants who were acquaintances of his.

(Data from 1870 census, 1872 city directory, 1881 and 1886 CDs, LA Times, LA Herald, and Wikipedia on Leo Carrillo.)

Edit Add:

I see Harris Newmark also mentions Rapp in Sixty Years, p. 480: "[...] Billy Rapp, also came in 1875 and built a small brick house on the west side of Second Street somewhere between Utah and Arizona avenues. There, after marrying a German Frau, he opened a saloon; and pleasure-seekers, visiting Santa Monica on Sundays[,] long remembered Billy's welcome and how, on the arrival of the morning train from Los Angeles, he always tapped a fresh keg of lager. After a while, he closed his saloon and sold the little building for a town hall. Hard times in later years rapped at Billy's door, forcing him to work on the public streets until 1899, when he died."

ethereal_reality Jul 31, 2022 4:35 PM

.

Thanks for the follow ups on the former Rapp Saloon / Western Vitagraph building, Mackerm, HossC and odinthor. I appreciate it!

There's another similar old building in Santa Monica that I thought might be the building. I'm going to take the google-mobile for a spin later this afternoon to see if I can locate it.




In the meantime. . . mystery billboard!

Have we seen 'Casa Malibu' on NLA?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/1vDTxW.jpg
eBay

I searched for it (Casa Malibu) on the thread but there are way too many 'casas' and way too many 'Malibus'.




Here's a closer look.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/UDzMEj.jpg
.
eBay

cool truck.

.

ethereal_reality Jul 31, 2022 5:00 PM

.

Here's another original slide posted on eBay.


Description:.."Original Slide 1966 Los Angeles area Country Cousins Market "

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/h6iowd.jpg

Is anyone familiar with the Country Cousins Market? :shrug: It might have been a chain.

Look at all those phone booths!
.

nealberke Jul 31, 2022 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9690526)
.

Here's another original slide posted on eBay.


Description:.."Original Slide 1966 Los Angeles area Country Cousins Market "

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/h6iowd.jpg

Is anyone familiar with the Country Cousins Market? :shrug: It might have been a chain.

Look at all those phone booths!
.

Great photo!! This seems to be Sylmar, CA in the Northeast San Fernando Valley. The Country Cousins Liquor and Market lists a current address of 13040 Glenoaks Blvd, Sylmar, CA 91342. Country style markets and coffee shops were popular in the 1950's thru maybe now in Tujunga, Sunland, Sylmar, Etc. There were still dairy farms and horse property well into 1960's We had "Wagon Wheel" market near our Tujunga home. However, the photo of this location looks like a mini mall, not a free standing market like the one in the photo.

Lots of other cool stuff in the photos. Evaporative coolers on the drugstore.
Evaporative coolers seldom worked well in the Valley unless we had an off-shore flow of desert air. Other than that, just too humid in the Valley for evaporative cooling. S & H Green Stamps signs on the poles at the Mobil Station. The circular signs on the phone booths are likely those of General Telephone. They purchased the phone assets of California Water and Telephone. General had much if not all of the Northeast SF Valley.

sprocketdame Jul 31, 2022 8:52 PM

Hollywood Murder Mystery
 
Hello Noirishers - I’ve been an avid follower of this site for years but this is my first post.

Last month I was visiting my hometown, Salmon Idaho, and picked up the local paper, The Recorder Herald. In it they have a section indicating what happened 10-20-30-etc years ago and under 90 years ago was the following article (bear with me - this does touch on Noirish LA activity):

“Captain Guleke and Elmer Keith are making preparations to build a boat this week in which to make the journey down the river of no return. King Gray of Hollywood has signed up to go down with them for the purpose of getting moving pictures of this famous stream”

Upon looking up King Gray on IMDb, I found that he was a noted cinematographer in Hollywood during the silent years (he was the cameraman for the first remake of the Squaw Man for CB DeMille in 1918 - remakes started early on!). Here’s the nourish part - according to the front page of the LA Times dated July 1, 1938 “Hollywood Film Cameraman Found Slain in Automobile.” Gray had been shot in his car in front of the Hollywood post office on Wilcox Avenue. It was a total mystery. As far as I can find, it was never solved.

Andyszy Jul 31, 2022 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealberke (Post 9690622)
Great photo!! This seems to be Sylmar, CA in the Northeast San Fernando Valley. The Country Cousins Liquor and Market lists a current address of 13040 Glenoaks Blvd, Sylmar, CA 91342. Country style markets and coffee shops were popular in the 1950's thru maybe now in Tujunga, Sunland, Sylmar, Etc. There were still dairy farms and horse property well into 1960's We had "Wagon Wheel" market near our Tujunga home. However, the photo of this location looks like a mini mall, not a free standing market like the one in the photo.

Lots of other cool stuff in the photos. Evaporative coolers on the drugstore.
Evaporative coolers seldom worked well in the Valley unless we had an off-shore flow of desert air. Other than that, just too humid in the Valley for evaporative cooling. S & H Green Stamps signs on the poles at the Mobil Station. The circular signs on the phone booths are likely those of General Telephone. They purchased the phone assets of California Water and Telephone. General had much if not all of the Northeast SF Valley.

This is indeed Glenoaks Blvd. with Polk St. crossing just this side of the Mobil station. The market (Now a liquor store) building remains relatively un-changed. There's also substantial frontage of this building as you turn right on Polk st. The Mobil station has given way to a strip mall.
Andyszy

John Maddox Roberts Aug 1, 2022 4:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprocketdame (Post 9690653)
Hello Noirishers - I’ve been an avid follower of this site for years but this is my first post.

Last month I was visiting my hometown, Salmon Idaho, and picked up the local paper, The Recorder Herald. In it they have a section indicating what happened 10-20-30-etc years ago and under 90 years ago was the following article (bear with me - this does touch on Noirish LA activity):

“Captain Guleke and Elmer Keith are making preparations to build a boat this week in which to make the journey down the river of no return. King Gray of Hollywood has signed up to go down with them for the purpose of getting moving pictures of this famous stream”

Upon looking up King Gray on IMDb, I found that he was a noted cinematographer in Hollywood during the silent years (he was the cameraman for the first remake of the Squaw Man for CB DeMille in 1918 - remakes started early on!). Here’s the nourish part - according to the front page of the LA Times dated July 1, 1938 “Hollywood Film Cameraman Found Slain in Automobile.” Gray had been shot in his car in front of the Hollywood post office on Wilcox Avenue. It was a total mystery. As far as I can find, it was never solved.

There is another noirish connection here. Elmer Keith was a famous early 20th century firearms writer who published prolifically in the gun and hunting magazines of the era. He was always developing more and more powerful cartridges, occasionally blowing up pistols in his quest. From the rather weak .44 Special round he developed the famous .44 Magnum. He got Remington to manufacture the new cartridge and Smith & Wesson to develop a new pistol for it. The result was the S & W Model 29, which we all know as the revolver carried and made famous by Dirty Harry Callahan.

sprocketdame Aug 1, 2022 6:13 PM

I was aware of his history - Elmer Keith lived across the street from us when I was a kid.

Earl Boebert Aug 1, 2022 6:45 PM

My father was a railroad special agent. He carried a S & W .38 on a .44 frame with special sights sold by Elmer Keith.

Cheers,

Earl

sadykadie2 Aug 2, 2022 5:03 AM

Country Cousins market
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9690526)
.

Here's another original slide posted on eBay.


Description:.."Original Slide 1966 Los Angeles area Country Cousins Market "

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/h6iowd.jpg

Is anyone familiar with the Country Cousins Market? :shrug: It might have been a chain.

Look at all those phone booths!
.

We used to shop at a Country Cousins in Costa Mesa (approx 40 minutes south of LA) It might have been a second location, i think it was built in the 60's

ethereal_reality Aug 2, 2022 6:40 PM

.
:previous: Hi sadykadie2. :)


And here's another Country Cousins in Tujunga.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/oFRUuK.jpg
csun-collection

Date unknown. No address given.

.

riichkay Aug 2, 2022 8:13 PM

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

Water Pipeline of America



Maybe this isn't the proper forum, but about half of the city's water is out of the Colorado River, via Lake Havasu and the Colorado River Aqueduct.....as you know the Colorado is essentially drying out, clearly something must be done....I find this idea intriquing.

This appears to be feasible: an 868 mile concrete pipeline (2 tubes) from the Mississippi at Davenport IA. to the headwaters of the Colorado River at Rocky Mountain National Park.....the water is then dumped into the Colorado, eventually gets to Lake Mead/Lake Powell/Lake Havasu and re-fills these resevoirs....yes, the water needs to be pumped uphill when the pipeline gets to the Rockies, this is accomplished via Centrifugal Pumps, an ancient and proven technology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_pump)....the pumps will be powered by vertical wind turbines installed every 2 miles.

The comparison is the Alaska oil pipeline, which runs 800 miles, and was constructed in 3 years....with 1970's technology!....if the thing ever leaks it's just water, so no environmental impact.

The Mississippi periodically floods at Davenport....so reducing the flow is actually a benefit for IA.

This pipeline only traverses 2 states, IA. and NE., I can't see much political opposition in those states....

If I was the Biden administration I would be all over this, hell, I would get Elon Musk to assemble the team, he's a can-do kind of guy....estimated cost $120 Billion, that is relatively cheap given the benefit....massive job creation as well, during construction and even after construction for maintenance, management etc.

The whole plan is here....

https://zamboanga.com/water-pipeline-of-america/

Andyszy Aug 2, 2022 8:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9691958)
.
:previous: Hi sadykadie2. :)


And here's another Country Cousins in Tujunga.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/oFRUuK.jpg
csun-collection

Date unknown. No address given.

.

I believe CSUN has got it wrong. If you compare the Google street view at the same camera angle, this photo is the Glenoaks Blvd. location. Mountains in the background are a dead giveaway. I would have liked to post the Google view, but I'm not sure how to do so. BTW, I worked about a half mile down Polk St. from here for 19 years.
Andyszy

rick m Aug 2, 2022 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9677695)
.

riichkay, we've seen this amazing ski jump (on nla) but it was years ago. . . .so it's great to see it again. :)






Unless I'm mistaken, we haven't seen this building on nla. (I could be wrong, of course)


Does anyone know if this stone cabin has survived?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/CSfBBr.jpg
Published in the July 27, 1950 edition of the Valley Times.

When the photograph was taken in July 1950 it appears to be located in a residential area. ...(but the descriptions below beg to differ :shrug:)



I found two different descriptions:

"Stone cabin is possibly one of the oldest dwellings at Amestoy Ranch which is located at Los Encinos State Historic Park in Encino, CA".


and. . .

"Cabin built of native stone which gives evidence of being oldest structure in State Historical Monument in Encino, and which is possibly 150 years old."

That's 150 years old in 1950!


I'm looking for my link(s) again.
.

umm-- back in 1976/77 I was up to some "frisky business" with a coworker during a lunchtime exploration of the park-- was surrounded by high shrubbery-------

Mackerm Aug 2, 2022 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riichkay (Post 9692052)
https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

Water Pipeline of America

Maybe this isn't the proper forum, but about half of the city's water is out of the Colorado River.

If we're talking mega-projects, the one to channel water from the Missouri River to the Ogallala aquifer has been seriously considered. (No need to cross the Rockies.) A more Noirish mega project is the one to save the Salton Sea.

ethereal_reality Aug 3, 2022 4:08 AM

REMEMBER THIS.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9690515)

I located a postcard of the Casa Malibu.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/eZonJ3.jpg
ipin.img

Looks quaint. ...:drowning:



.

ethereal_reality Aug 3, 2022 4:28 AM

.
:previous: The address was 22752 Pacific Coast Highway.



The Casa Malibu was somewhat recognizable up until 2012.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/ZrzrZh.jpg
GSV






And here it is renovated. Seen in 2021.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/evpQ0P.jpg
GSV

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/h0XbAt.jpg



I'm pretty sure I read an article in the New York Times about this new hotel. I'll see if I can find it again.

.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.