SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Those were the days, my friends (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229163)

Proof Sheet Oct 31, 2020 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 9090963)
Renowned for its meatball sandwich.

the pizza isn't that great there.....but nobody goes there for high end cuisine.

The Prescott and the Carleton are probably responsible for 90 + % of all draft 50 and/or Ex sold in Ottawa.

MonctonRad Oct 31, 2020 3:45 PM

I remember in the 1960s the height of culinary art (at least in Charlottetown) was to go out to the Bonnie Brae restaurant in Cornwall for a hot turkey sandwich, complete with peas and gravy. We did it several times a year and it was always a major event (involving putting on better clothes, a drive in a car and best manners).

Those were the days.........

niwell Oct 31, 2020 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proof Sheet (Post 9091027)
the pizza isn't that great there.....but nobody goes there for high end cuisine.

The Prescott and the Carleton are probably responsible for 90 + % of all draft 50 and/or Ex sold in Ottawa.

Meanwhile the Laff (Chateau Laffayette) and Dirty Dom (Dominion Tavern) are likely responsible for 90% of Labbatt 50 quart bottles!

Also pre-COVID you could very much go to a small bar and have conversations with random people about pretty much anything. Just sit at the bar.

Proof Sheet Oct 31, 2020 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niwell (Post 9091100)
Meanwhile the Laff (Chateau Laffayette) and Dirty Dom (Dominion Tavern) are likely responsible for 90% of Labbatt 50 quart bottles!

Also pre-COVID you could very much go to a small bar and have conversations with random people about pretty much anything. Just sit at the bar.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those two places. I've been to the Carleton and Prescott more times than the Laff or Dominion Tavern.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...oiowCnoECA8QAw

I think Molson would be at home here. Note the salt shakers on the table for those who want to put salt into their beer

Acajack Oct 31, 2020 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 9090955)
Cool thread idea.

re: pickled eggs and sausages at taverns..Man, it's been a minute since I've seen them displayed on or behind a bar..Usually next to the salt and vinegar chips.
When my wife and I ,along with another couple, tripped down to Montreal maybe 12 years ago, we split up and my pal and I discovered a cool little bar near the old forum called "Grumpy's" Everybody was singing along to some random tracks being played.It was like Cheers..Anybody from Montreal hear of this place?..Also, here in Ottawa there is a place called the Prescott Tavern..2 days before our wedding, I brought my out of town dad there for a quart. He loved it there! If anything, because the server had one of them old school change dispensers on his belt. That, the big bottles of Molsons, and the tavern itself put a smile on his face. I vaguely remember when those change dispensers were a thing, but my father just smiled and reminisced when he saw it still being used..It brought him back I guess.

I think Grumpy's was Mordecai Richler's watering hole.

MolsonExport Oct 31, 2020 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 9090955)
Cool thread idea.

re: pickled eggs and sausages at taverns..Man, it's been a minute since I've seen them displayed on or behind a bar..Usually next to the salt and vinegar chips.
When my wife and I ,along with another couple, tripped down to Montreal maybe 12 years ago, we split up and my pal and I discovered a cool little bar near the old forum called "Grumpy's" Everybody was singing along to some random tracks being played.It was like Cheers..Anybody from Montreal hear of this place?..Also, here in Ottawa there is a place called the Prescott Tavern..2 days before our wedding, I brought my out of town dad there for a quart. He loved it there! If anything, because the server had one of them old school change dispensers on his belt. That, the big bottles of Molsons, and the tavern itself put a smile on his face. I vaguely remember when those change dispensers were a thing, but my father just smiled and reminisced when he saw it still being used..It brought him back I guess.

Grumpy's is a watering hole on Crescent Street. The three horsemen (Bon vivants) of St. Urbain, Mordecai Richler, Nick Auf de Maur, and Ted Blackman used to haunt the place (as well as nearby Ziggy's Pub). I drank with these dudes several times. Wow, the conversations were awesome (and the mockery of Jacques Parizeau was beyond legendary).

Mister F Oct 31, 2020 5:44 PM

My teenage formative years were in the 90s but I try my best not to be one of those "new music is crap" old men. There's a lot of good new stuff out there even if you're into the rock genre. Reignwolf is a recent personal favourite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by niwell (Post 9090749)
One of my favourite podcasts now is about nu-metal. I loved that shit when I was 13 so it's extremely nostalgic. It's also very Bad Music and the podcast hosts who are around my age have similar views. It's great. If my potential future kids like nu-metal I'd have some very serious questions.

Errr... if anyone is actually interested check out the P.O.D. Kast https://thepodkast.libsyn.com/

The P.O.D. Kast :haha:

Love the name. There's some legitimately good diamonds in the nu metal rough (e.g. System of a Down) but most of it was absolute trash. Sounds like a fun listen.

ssiguy Oct 31, 2020 6:52 PM

Remember back in the day when the cars have wildly different shapes, sizes, colours, and even engines and you could actually name the car because of it? Now all cars are slanted, small, 4 door sedans................truly a study in beige.

Zeej Oct 31, 2020 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9091116)
I think Grumpy's was Mordecai Richler's watering hole.

A well acquainted eye will notice that they filmed the bar scenes in the film adaptation of Richler's Barney's Version at Grumpy's.

Hali87 Oct 31, 2020 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssiguy (Post 9090889)
It's true, younger people talk surprisingly little because they are stuck on their phones.

I like to call it "anti-social" media................it allows you to communicate with everyone and talk to no one.

You do understand that people use the phones to talk to each other, right?

Razor Oct 31, 2020 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MolsonExport (Post 9091122)
Grumpy's is a watering hole on Crescent Street. The three horsemen (Bon vivants) of St. Urbain, Mordecai Richler, Nick Auf de Maur, and Ted Blackman used to haunt the place (as well as nearby Ziggy's Pub). I drank with these dudes several times. Wow, the conversations were awesome (and the mockery of Jacques Parizeau was beyond legendary).

Cool!..I just remember that it was a good quality hour there taking a load off of our feet, even talked to the owner for a bit who was conducting all of the singing along..My friend literally got the T-shirt after. He still has it..Randomly stumbling into this place was serendipitous, and saved us from roaming the aisles in whatever store the ladies happened on.

davidivivid Nov 1, 2020 1:06 AM

edit wrong thread

urbandreamer Nov 1, 2020 1:56 AM

I grew up with cassettes (CD's were for the rich kids) and vinyl and remember finally getting a CD player in the mid-90s. I still prefer vinyl to the sterility of CDs. I went to raves in the 90s: dirty warehouses on Geary, Alliance Road, the Buddhist temple on College Street, Sunday mornings at the Comfort Zone. I loved techno, drum & bass, jungle, hip hop and trance music but also occasionally listened to college radio playing metal/indie & eclectic music on Brent Bambury's Brave New Waves (never really liked Patti Schmidt's voice) and David Wisdom's Nightlines.

But do I spend my time listening to 90s trance techno etc? Nope. I listen to Pete Tong, Essential Mix, Above & Beyond, ASOT etc on YouTube and streaming services. Haven't really gotten into podcast culture. I keep up with all the latest music. In the car I prefer Z103.5 and hiphop.

As I entered my 40s, I got interested in my mom's large classical/baroque music collection: I love going to Centre in the Square, Tafelmusik etc and listening to https://www.youtube.com/c/AVROTROSKlassiek/videos

Listening to the same old cheesy rock and roll etc from the 1960s-80s would be boring.

harls Nov 1, 2020 2:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9090717)
I don't know how people can listen to standard FM radio. And morning talk shows or whatever radio hosts in the morning are called these days? Yuck.

Me neither. Who enjoys that schlock? It's mind-numbing and predictable.

I tuned into Chez 106 one day and discovered shit like 'boulevard of broken dreams' from Green Day and Matthew Good Band's 'hello time bomb' is now considered 'classic rock'.

urbandreamer Nov 1, 2020 2:11 AM

Driving around Perth, Huron and Bruce County I sometimes tune into CKNX AM920 just because it reminds me of the farmers in the 80s/90s always listening to it meanwhile I was tuned into Energy 108/CFTR/WJLB/CBC Stereo. Now I find it amusing listening to country in the country.

MonctonRad Nov 1, 2020 3:54 AM

The only "local" stations I listen to are CBA Moncton (CBC-1) for commuting to and from work, CBAL-FM (CBC-2) for background classical music at work (at least until 2 PM when the popular stuff comes on the air), and CITA-FM for Wildcats hockey games (and post game analysis when driving home after a game).

Aside from this, it's Sirius Satellite all the way, and even there I only have 3-4 stations I routinely listen to (mostly SPA - new age and ambient).

Kilgore Trout Nov 1, 2020 4:01 AM

FM is still worthwhile for CBC, including its music stations (there are a couple of good shows on CBC Music and several on Ici Musique), university radio (eg CISM in Montreal) as well as community radio stations (eg CKUA in Alberta). Of course, all of these are also available on streaming and many of the shows have podcast versions, so the actual radio bit of it is only useful if you're in a car.

Acajack Nov 1, 2020 4:24 AM

I listen to FM for Radio-Canada (and sometimes for CBC). I don't listen to music off my phone or have satellite radio (except during free previews), so if I want music I scan until I find a song that I like.

If I am out late at night, I sometimes scan the AM dial for U.S. talk radio stations as there is sometimes interesting stuff there. The reception is best on cold winter nights. I can pick up as far west as Chicago and as far south as Baltimore very consistently.

rousseau Nov 1, 2020 5:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hali87 (Post 9091279)
You do understand that people use the phones to talk to each other, right?

Do they? I thought they just texted each other.

MolsonExport Nov 1, 2020 5:36 PM

Local FM radio is horrible. Awful, awful rotation of the same shitty songs (cancon & "classic crock"), extremely annoying cheap local radio ads, unfunny DJs.

rousseau Nov 1, 2020 6:28 PM

CFNY was decent as alternative radio back in the day. Bit weird that Rush wrote that famous song about it, what with Rush being probably the most un-alternative band ever, but I guess even they recognized how unique it was.

hipster duck Nov 1, 2020 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbandreamer (Post 9091459)
I grew up with cassettes (CD's were for the rich kids) and vinyl and remember finally getting a CD player in the mid-90s. I still prefer vinyl to the sterility of CDs. I went to raves in the 90s: dirty warehouses on Geary, Alliance Road, the Buddhist temple on College Street, Sunday mornings at the Comfort Zone. I loved techno, drum & bass, jungle, hip hop and trance music but also occasionally listened to college radio playing metal/indie & eclectic music on Brent Bambury's Brave New Waves (never really liked Patti Schmidt's voice) and David Wisdom's Nightlines.

But do I spend my time listening to 90s trance techno etc? Nope. I listen to Pete Tong, Essential Mix, Above & Beyond, ASOT etc on YouTube and streaming services. Haven't really gotten into podcast culture. I keep up with all the latest music. In the car I prefer Z103.5 and hiphop.

As I entered my 40s, I got interested in my mom's large classical/baroque music collection: I love going to Centre in the Square, Tafelmusik etc and listening to https://www.youtube.com/c/AVROTROSKlassiek/videos

Listening to the same old cheesy rock and roll etc from the 1960s-80s would be boring.

LOL Memories!

Just like how niwell’s guilty pleasure is nu-metal, my guilty pleasure is late 90s trance music. We probably crossed paths, because I use to go down to The Pit and Eastern Bloc and some of the last jungle and acid house raves coincided with when I turned 19.

Anyway I found a box full of old cassettes from local Toronto DJs of the era like John “00” Fleming and Mark Acid and I dug up my old Walkman and gave them a listen.

Like a lot of things that came out of Toronto during the Mel Lastman years, the music was really amateurish and some of it was really bad, but you know they were having a lot of fun making it.

I listen to similar YouTube videos as you do when I work.

JHikka Nov 2, 2020 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harls (Post 9091463)
I tuned into Chez 106 one day and discovered shit like 'boulevard of broken dreams' from Green Day and Matthew Good Band's 'hello time bomb' is now considered 'classic rock'.

I was listening to a station in Quinte last week and their tagline was 'music from the 70s, 80s, and now' and I was curious about what happened in the 90s, 00s, and 10s for them to just skip over them entirely :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbandreamer (Post 9091459)

I don't know how people can do it. 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' definitely had an expiry date sometime in the mid-90s.

People are free to like whatever they want, of course, but eh..

urbandreamer Nov 2, 2020 4:11 PM

I enjoy remixes of 90s electronica. The beauty of dance music is there's often dozens of different mixes. I was looking at my 90s CD collection recently: 99% trance and house music.:) A sign I'm getting older is some 1990s famous DJ's are dying off: recently José Padilla whose first Cafe del Mar CD I bought way back c.95 https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000nphf

The Pit and Eastern Bloc - I wonder what happened to Toronto's dance music pioneers? (I know a few became realtors.) PLUR

Acajack Nov 2, 2020 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9092647)
I was listening to a station in Quinte last week and their tagline was 'music from the 70s, 80s, and now' and I was curious about what happened in the 90s, 00s, and 10s for them to just skip over them entirely :haha:

I don't know how people can do it. 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' definitely had an expiry date sometime in the mid-90s.

I have a number of people I know who basically *only* listen to rock music from those eras and even overhearing anything from any other era or another genre to them is basically like drinking liquid shit.

They consider themselves to be musical connaisseurs because they can identify every single riff played by Eddie Van Halen or some other guitar legend.

Which is fine. I mean I love a lot of that stuff too. I grew up with it.

But I don't consider them true music lovers. Their scope and frame of mind is just too limited.

MolsonExport Nov 2, 2020 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9092647)

Who the fuck would want to pour some sugar on this guy? :yuck::yuck:
Apparently he thinks he is hot, sticky sweet,
from his head to his stinky feet.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...IdkGq7UUnMAbn-
blabbermouth

hipster duck Nov 2, 2020 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9092697)
I have a number of people I know who basically *only* listen to rock music from those eras and even overhearing anything from any other era or another genre to them is basically like drinking liquid shit.

They consider themselves to be musical connaisseurs because they can identify every single riff played by Eddie Van Halen or some other guitar legend.

Which is fine. I mean I love a lot of that stuff too. I grew up with it.

But I don't consider them true music lovers. Their scope and frame of mind is just too limited.

There’s something about guitar-driven rock from the 70s-80s that drives something akin to extreme homerism on SSP among its followers.

Fans of other genres aren’t really like this. People who like Britpop, for example, aren’t going to automatically deride ska or shoegaze as trash music.

Acajack Nov 2, 2020 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster duck (Post 9092827)
There’s something about guitar-driven rock from the 70s-80s that drives something akin to extreme homerism on SSP among its followers.

Fans of other genres aren’t really like this. People who like Britpop, for example, aren’t going to automatically deride ska or shoegaze as trash music.

Not just on SSP - in real life too! Musical intolerance which exists to a degree unseen among the fan base of any other genre.

I noticed this ages ago.

Looking at it with a 2020 lens, it's even a bit suspicious as basically every single one of the big names (with the exception of Jimi Hendrix and maybe Lenny Kravitz, anyone else?) are... white dudes! :runaway:

urbandreamer Nov 2, 2020 8:20 PM

This song brings me right back to Summer 1992:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GaNYuKkuUw

rousseau Nov 2, 2020 8:36 PM

Quote:

Is that how it has evolved? I haven't had a finger on the pulse of music trends in a while, but it's clear from your characterization that we're a generation removed from each other, because in the 1980s the classic rock era was defined as the 1960s and early 70s, with the 1980s being derided for how much campy new wave and wispy pop there was. Van Halen wasn't really popular with devotees of the British Invasion, and were eventually seen as precursors to the hair metal of the mid to late 1980s.

Though I can certainly see why guitar rock is defined as 1960s-80s when looking back from the 21st century.

Quote:

Not in North America, anyway. The genres that were mainstream in the UK were only ever marginal and underground here, so we weren't participating in their skirmishes (though we who knew anything about them looked on with envy at the tumult). "Catholic taste" as an aspiration was something I started hearing in the 1990s, from what I recall. Still though, I think your point is right, there's a fusty snobbishness the boomers have about rock guitar that's very off-putting.

rousseau Nov 2, 2020 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9092898)
Not just on SSP - in real life too! Musical intolerance which exists to a degree unseen among the fan base of any other genre.

I noticed this ages ago.

Looking at it with a 2020 lens, it's even a bit suspicious as basically every single one of the big names (with the exception of Jimi Hendrix and maybe Lenny Kravitz, anyone else?) are... white dudes! :runaway:

I remember the "disco sucks" movement in the late 1970s. The Guardian gives it a racist and homophobic spin, of course.

The Disco Sucks! campaign in 1979 had racist and homophobic undertones – and, 30 years on, has proven to be a resolute failure
https://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...18/disco-sucks

I think one of the comments sums it up better, though.
Quote:

I think it's an incredibly cheap shot to blame late 70s hatred for disco on racism and homophobia. While not living in the American mid-west, my friends and I were passionate disco haters at the time. Instead we listened to militant reggae, Miles Davis and (post-)punk, including a bi-sexual Pete Shelley and Tom Robinson's "Sing if You're Glad To Be Gay".

The Disco Sucks! campaign had more to do with anxiety over the coming tsunami of corporate neo-liberalism and the switch from hippiedom to me-generation yuppiedom. I recall the general motivation for anti-disco sentiments was its stupefying rhythmical simplicity, bland commercialism and overall superficial values. But go ahead, equate such values with gay and black culture if you must.

urbandreamer Nov 2, 2020 8:51 PM

About 25 years ago when everyone was tossing out their vinyl for CDs my brother loaded up on dirt cheap vinyl from the 1960s 70s and 80s. I started listening to them since I kept them in storage for many years. I've come to enjoy the disco era, new wave etc. I've even got many of the original Beatles and Rolling Stones albums, folk singers from the 60s etc. Some of it may be worth $$$.:) There's a time and place for every genre.

I never realized until recently that the soulful Chicago house music I loved in the late 80s/early 90s was at the time associated with black gay culture.

Razor Nov 2, 2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 9092997)
I remember the "disco sucks" movement in the late 1970s.

Yep same..Those "Disco Sucks" T-shirts were popular amongst the Punk Rock crowd from what I recall...Then the same history repeated itself 11 years later when the decade of guitar decadence and poodle hair was killed by these bands coming out of Seattle.That needed to happen ,because that whole 80's L.A party metal scene that arguably VH started (Motley Crue as well maybe), ran it's course and really starting to become a parody of itself. It needed to die!

MolsonExport Nov 2, 2020 10:44 PM

I still listen to punk, alternative and hard core. I still listen to disco. I still listen to New Wave. I still listen to the Beatles. I still listen to Blues. To Jazz. To Classical music. And I still love the period from 1965-1985 above all others.

Acajack Nov 3, 2020 2:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 9092992)
Is that how it has evolved? I haven't had a finger on the pulse of music trends in a while, but it's clear from your characterization that we're a generation removed from each other, because in the 1980s the classic rock era was defined as the 1960s and early 70s, with the 1980s being derided for how much campy new wave and wispy pop there was. Van Halen wasn't really popular with devotees of the British Invasion, and were eventually seen as precursors to the hair metal of the mid to late 1980s.

Though I can certainly see why guitar rock is defined as 1960s-80s when looking back from the 21st century.

Not in North America, anyway. The genres that were mainstream in the UK were only ever marginal and underground here, so we weren't participating in their skirmishes (though we who knew anything about them looked on with envy at the tumult). "Catholic taste" as an aspiration was something I started hearing in the 1990s, from what I recall. Still though, I think your point is right, there's a fusty snobbishness the boomers have about rock guitar that's very off-putting.

I am a Gen Xer and it's definitely true of our generation too. Even predominant.

I also find boomers are split. Younger boomers are like Gen Xers, whereas older boomers grew up in an era where there were fewer radio stations and musical genres weren't as segregated, so while their main genre is still rock n roll, I've found them a lot more open to everything from country to classical.

Acajack Nov 3, 2020 2:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 9092997)
I remember the "disco sucks" movement in the late 1970s. The Guardian gives it a racist and homophobic spin, of course.

The Disco Sucks! campaign in 1979 had racist and homophobic undertones – and, 30 years on, has proven to be a resolute failure
https://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...18/disco-sucks

I think one of the comments sums it up better, though.

I don't want to overdramatize, but that commenter's musical path seems rather exceptional. I was there when it all went down (and remember news reports about Disco Demolition Night at the baseball game in Chicago), and I didn't know anyone who was that adventurous musically.

Certainly all the guys were either in the mainstream clan where you had Van Halen, Led Zeppelin and eventually emerging hair bands, or on the alternative fringes listening to stuff like Echo and the Bunnymen, The Jam or The Smiths.

There is nothing wrong with any of that, but it was still white dude rock.

While he wasn't considered disco (or at least if he was he survived its death spectacularly), Michael Jackson was universally reviled among guys my age. I actuallly hid the fact that I kinda liked it, though I also listened to the same stuff as everyone else too.

Not saying there was necessarily a racial element to it, but it's nonetheless noteworthy that all of the hate and shaming was directed at music disproportionately produced and appreciated by black people (and to some degree gay people too).

Razor Nov 5, 2020 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9093361)
I am a Gen Xer and it's definitely true of our generation too. Even predominant.

I also find boomers are split. Younger boomers are like Gen Xers, whereas older boomers grew up in an era where there were fewer radio stations and musical genres weren't as segregated, so while their main genre is still rock n roll, I've found them a lot more open to everything from country to classical.

Yes, there is a grey area where older gen x-ers. and young boomers basically grew up with the same pop culture trends in fashion, music ,etc..Those generation date cut-offs are basically just arbitrary goal posts..My older sister is considered a boomer for example, and I'm an X'er...We listened to the same music and were in high school together, although she was on her way out of grade 13, and I was a "minor niner"..Her age group could easily be called Gen X .

Quote:

Originally Posted by MolsonExport (Post 9093148)
I still listen to punk, alternative and hard core. I still listen to disco. I still listen to New Wave. I still listen to the Beatles. I still listen to Blues. To Jazz. To Classical music. And I still love the period from 1965-1985 above all others.

Same..Do you or anyone else here remember that weird period of avente garde electronica music that basically bridged disco to New wave of the 80's?
Bands like the B'52's and Devo fall into this category.Maybe the Cars..I want to say, late 70's?..Maybe 79..A one hit wonder band called "M" also falls into this category with their song "Pop Muzik?..This is pre Madonna,MJ,Duran Duran, U2 etc, and post the Sex Pistols.

Acajack Nov 5, 2020 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 9096776)
Same..Do you or anyone else here remember that weird period of avente garde electronica music that basically bridged disco to New wave of the 80's?
Bands like the B'52's and Devo fall into this category.Maybe the Cars..I want to say, late 70's?..Maybe 79..A one hit wonder band called "M" also falls into this category with their song "Pop Muzik?..This is pre Madonna,MJ,Duran Duran etc. and U2, and post the Sex Pistols.

I do. It wasn't disco but it was still very danceable. Certainly a lot more than most of the rock music that emerged at the time.

And it was before the late 80s emergence of "dance music", a lot of which was highly (suspiciously?) similar to disco. Though none of its fans would have been caught dead admitting that. I know this because I'd taunt them with that - though I liked the genre too. (I always liked all sorts of musical genres.)

hipster duck Nov 5, 2020 3:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9096782)
And it was before the late 80s emergence of "dance music", a lot of which was highly (suspiciously?) similar to disco. Though none of its fans would have been caught dead admitting that. I know this because I'd taunt them with that - though I liked the genre too. (I always liked all sorts of musical genres.)

I'll take your word for it, because I wasn't there to ask the fans themselves, but late 80s dance music clearly evolved from 70s disco via early-mid 1980s scenes like Chicago House and Italo Disco (and probably some other variants).

urbandreamer Nov 5, 2020 4:08 PM

Anyone else get into dance music via EBM/Industrial? Skinny Puppy, Meat Beat Manifesto etc? CHRW - University of Western Ontario had a great show I'd listen to in the early 90s. I used to go to Savage Garden and Sanctuary for Goth nights in the late 90s. Still a great alternative to trance and baroque music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLm2qEeHKew

On the flipside, UK pop acts like Pet Shop Boys also had great club remixes that helped bridge the gap into Acid/House/Progressive/Trance.

I used to live around the corner from the Sanctuary: https://nowtoronto.com/news/goth-sex...tarbucks-haunt For years Queen West goths boycotted the place; however, being a neighbour I was one of their first customers.

Acajack Nov 5, 2020 4:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster duck (Post 9096885)
I'll take your word for it, because I wasn't there to ask the fans themselves, but late 80s dance music clearly evolved from 70s disco via early-mid 1980s scenes like Chicago House and Italo Disco (and probably some other variants).

I clearly remember an interview from that era with a big dance music star (pretty sure it was CeCe Peniston) who was saying "I don't know what the big fuss is about. My music is disco, and there's no shame in that. Disco, dance music... same thing."

urbandreamer Nov 5, 2020 4:22 PM

Damn now I can't get CeCe Peniston "Finally" out of my head ugh. Of course it was disco-inspired music. Mixmag and Muzik always wrote about the connections all the way back to jazz, disco, even Elvis!

Razor Nov 5, 2020 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9096782)
I do. It wasn't disco but it was still very danceable. Certainly a lot more than most of the rock music that emerged at the time.

Yes exactly..It was that weird transition period..Gary Numan - Cars may of been part of that as well.

The Monks also come to mind during this period. 79 (ish)
Johny B Rotten, Drugs in My pocket, and Love in Stereo.
Maybe they were only popular in Ontario dunno..

The Knack - "Get the Knack" album as well.

Long live skinny ties..haha

MolsonExport Nov 5, 2020 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 9096776)
Bands like the B'52's and Devo fall into this category.Maybe the Cars..I want to say, late 70's?..Maybe 79..A one hit wonder band called "M" also falls into this category with their song "Pop Muzik?..This is pre Madonna,MJ,Duran Duran, U2 etc, and post the Sex Pistols.

Hmmm, does it have a name?
I am thinking of that great period which produced "Cars" (Gary Numan), "I ran" (A flock of seagulls), "Whip It" (Devo), "Tenderness" (General Public), "If you Leave" (OMD), "It's my life" (Talk Talk)...right around the time I started High School. I file it under New Wave, but some songs have influences from disco, others from ska, and others from punk.

rousseau Nov 5, 2020 7:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MolsonExport (Post 9097158)
I am thinking of that great period which produced "Cars" (Gary Numan), "I ran" (A flock of seagulls), "Whip It" (Devo), "Tenderness" (General Public), "If you Leave" (OMD), "It's my life" (Talk Talk)...right around the time I started High School. I file it under New Wave, but some songs have influences from disco, others from ska, and others from punk.

I was about to say. Looks like you discovered new wave, Razor.

Razor Nov 6, 2020 2:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MolsonExport (Post 9097158)

Yes..I think you are correct.all of that was indeed considered New Wave..Just early New wave I suppose..When it first broke..Circa 79, and was a new sound with elements of electronica,punk, ska, and disco like you aptly described. It was a short lived synthesizer laden period before the full blown 80's invasion of Duran, Duran, Madonna, and the Culture Club..P.s I loved Devo's Whip it btw..Who didn't?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 9097255)
I was about to say. Looks like you discovered new wave, Razor.

Yes.. I had to be there to catch it I suppose..I guess we can safely categorize the B52'S and Devo as the pioneers of New Wave.

I hated this tune, but their 1 hit fit that mold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avvh5H-EPWU

Oh and this one you both probably forgotten about..Although it came a little later when New Wave was in full swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMDbX1zksgI

lio45 Nov 13, 2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MolsonExport (Post 9090025)
Sometime, I'll take you up on that offer of Ex's and pickled eggs (who can say "no" to pickled eggs?). It has been years since I have been near Sherbrooke (my father's gravesite is in striking distance).

Sherbrooke turned "red zone" a few days ago so the bar is now temporarily closed (as are all others in the city), I'm over there once in a while to keep an eye on things while it's closed. Took a couple pictures of some of the inventory to tempt you ;)

(I had some of these pickled eggs for the first time, they're actually pretty good!)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...bd060019_h.jpgIMG_3439

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f325f2a7_b.jpgIMG_3510

Proof Sheet Nov 13, 2020 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 9105925)
Sherbrooke turned "red zone" a few days ago so the bar is now temporarily closed (as are all others in the city), I'm over there once in a while to keep an eye on things while it's closed. Took a couple pictures of some of the inventory to tempt you ;)

(I had some of these pickled eggs for the first time, they're actually pretty good!)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...bd060019_h.jpgIMG_3439

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f325f2a7_b.jpgIMG_3510

Where's the stockpile of 50 :cheers::cheers: No quart bottles. And you call yourself a bar :):):)

lio45 Nov 13, 2020 11:42 PM

Rest assured, there's plenty of 50, there's even plenty of Laurentide! :P

And yeah, most of the inventory by far is in the form of quarts (in Quebec, called "grosse" as opposed to "petite" ;)). That's what nearly everyone drinks. If you look at what's in front of customers, 90%+ of the bottles on the tables are the 750 ml ones. Better value I suppose!

I just looked for MolsonEx for obvious reasons, and photographed the first pile I saw. I'll take more pics for you next time I'm there :cheers:

MolsonExport Nov 14, 2020 1:36 AM

great to see that the hometown beers are still popular in Quebec. Beats Buttwisser and Coors Fright.