SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Those were the days, my friends (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229163)

Razor Oct 31, 2020 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MolsonExport (Post 9091122)
Grumpy's is a watering hole on Crescent Street. The three horsemen (Bon vivants) of St. Urbain, Mordecai Richler, Nick Auf de Maur, and Ted Blackman used to haunt the place (as well as nearby Ziggy's Pub). I drank with these dudes several times. Wow, the conversations were awesome (and the mockery of Jacques Parizeau was beyond legendary).

Cool!..I just remember that it was a good quality hour there taking a load off of our feet, even talked to the owner for a bit who was conducting all of the singing along..My friend literally got the T-shirt after. He still has it..Randomly stumbling into this place was serendipitous, and saved us from roaming the aisles in whatever store the ladies happened on.

davidivivid Nov 1, 2020 1:06 AM

edit wrong thread

urbandreamer Nov 1, 2020 1:56 AM

I grew up with cassettes (CD's were for the rich kids) and vinyl and remember finally getting a CD player in the mid-90s. I still prefer vinyl to the sterility of CDs. I went to raves in the 90s: dirty warehouses on Geary, Alliance Road, the Buddhist temple on College Street, Sunday mornings at the Comfort Zone. I loved techno, drum & bass, jungle, hip hop and trance music but also occasionally listened to college radio playing metal/indie & eclectic music on Brent Bambury's Brave New Waves (never really liked Patti Schmidt's voice) and David Wisdom's Nightlines.

But do I spend my time listening to 90s trance techno etc? Nope. I listen to Pete Tong, Essential Mix, Above & Beyond, ASOT etc on YouTube and streaming services. Haven't really gotten into podcast culture. I keep up with all the latest music. In the car I prefer Z103.5 and hiphop.

As I entered my 40s, I got interested in my mom's large classical/baroque music collection: I love going to Centre in the Square, Tafelmusik etc and listening to https://www.youtube.com/c/AVROTROSKlassiek/videos

Listening to the same old cheesy rock and roll etc from the 1960s-80s would be boring.

harls Nov 1, 2020 2:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9090717)
I don't know how people can listen to standard FM radio. And morning talk shows or whatever radio hosts in the morning are called these days? Yuck.

Me neither. Who enjoys that schlock? It's mind-numbing and predictable.

I tuned into Chez 106 one day and discovered shit like 'boulevard of broken dreams' from Green Day and Matthew Good Band's 'hello time bomb' is now considered 'classic rock'.

urbandreamer Nov 1, 2020 2:11 AM

Driving around Perth, Huron and Bruce County I sometimes tune into CKNX AM920 just because it reminds me of the farmers in the 80s/90s always listening to it meanwhile I was tuned into Energy 108/CFTR/WJLB/CBC Stereo. Now I find it amusing listening to country in the country.

MonctonRad Nov 1, 2020 3:54 AM

The only "local" stations I listen to are CBA Moncton (CBC-1) for commuting to and from work, CBAL-FM (CBC-2) for background classical music at work (at least until 2 PM when the popular stuff comes on the air), and CITA-FM for Wildcats hockey games (and post game analysis when driving home after a game).

Aside from this, it's Sirius Satellite all the way, and even there I only have 3-4 stations I routinely listen to (mostly SPA - new age and ambient).

Kilgore Trout Nov 1, 2020 4:01 AM

FM is still worthwhile for CBC, including its music stations (there are a couple of good shows on CBC Music and several on Ici Musique), university radio (eg CISM in Montreal) as well as community radio stations (eg CKUA in Alberta). Of course, all of these are also available on streaming and many of the shows have podcast versions, so the actual radio bit of it is only useful if you're in a car.

Acajack Nov 1, 2020 4:24 AM

I listen to FM for Radio-Canada (and sometimes for CBC). I don't listen to music off my phone or have satellite radio (except during free previews), so if I want music I scan until I find a song that I like.

If I am out late at night, I sometimes scan the AM dial for U.S. talk radio stations as there is sometimes interesting stuff there. The reception is best on cold winter nights. I can pick up as far west as Chicago and as far south as Baltimore very consistently.

rousseau Nov 1, 2020 5:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hali87 (Post 9091279)
You do understand that people use the phones to talk to each other, right?

Do they? I thought they just texted each other.

MolsonExport Nov 1, 2020 5:36 PM

Local FM radio is horrible. Awful, awful rotation of the same shitty songs (cancon & "classic crock"), extremely annoying cheap local radio ads, unfunny DJs.

rousseau Nov 1, 2020 6:28 PM

CFNY was decent as alternative radio back in the day. Bit weird that Rush wrote that famous song about it, what with Rush being probably the most un-alternative band ever, but I guess even they recognized how unique it was.

hipster duck Nov 1, 2020 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbandreamer (Post 9091459)
I grew up with cassettes (CD's were for the rich kids) and vinyl and remember finally getting a CD player in the mid-90s. I still prefer vinyl to the sterility of CDs. I went to raves in the 90s: dirty warehouses on Geary, Alliance Road, the Buddhist temple on College Street, Sunday mornings at the Comfort Zone. I loved techno, drum & bass, jungle, hip hop and trance music but also occasionally listened to college radio playing metal/indie & eclectic music on Brent Bambury's Brave New Waves (never really liked Patti Schmidt's voice) and David Wisdom's Nightlines.

But do I spend my time listening to 90s trance techno etc? Nope. I listen to Pete Tong, Essential Mix, Above & Beyond, ASOT etc on YouTube and streaming services. Haven't really gotten into podcast culture. I keep up with all the latest music. In the car I prefer Z103.5 and hiphop.

As I entered my 40s, I got interested in my mom's large classical/baroque music collection: I love going to Centre in the Square, Tafelmusik etc and listening to https://www.youtube.com/c/AVROTROSKlassiek/videos

Listening to the same old cheesy rock and roll etc from the 1960s-80s would be boring.

LOL Memories!

Just like how niwell’s guilty pleasure is nu-metal, my guilty pleasure is late 90s trance music. We probably crossed paths, because I use to go down to The Pit and Eastern Bloc and some of the last jungle and acid house raves coincided with when I turned 19.

Anyway I found a box full of old cassettes from local Toronto DJs of the era like John “00” Fleming and Mark Acid and I dug up my old Walkman and gave them a listen.

Like a lot of things that came out of Toronto during the Mel Lastman years, the music was really amateurish and some of it was really bad, but you know they were having a lot of fun making it.

I listen to similar YouTube videos as you do when I work.

JHikka Nov 2, 2020 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harls (Post 9091463)
I tuned into Chez 106 one day and discovered shit like 'boulevard of broken dreams' from Green Day and Matthew Good Band's 'hello time bomb' is now considered 'classic rock'.

I was listening to a station in Quinte last week and their tagline was 'music from the 70s, 80s, and now' and I was curious about what happened in the 90s, 00s, and 10s for them to just skip over them entirely :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbandreamer (Post 9091459)

I don't know how people can do it. 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' definitely had an expiry date sometime in the mid-90s.

People are free to like whatever they want, of course, but eh..

urbandreamer Nov 2, 2020 4:11 PM

I enjoy remixes of 90s electronica. The beauty of dance music is there's often dozens of different mixes. I was looking at my 90s CD collection recently: 99% trance and house music.:) A sign I'm getting older is some 1990s famous DJ's are dying off: recently José Padilla whose first Cafe del Mar CD I bought way back c.95 https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000nphf

The Pit and Eastern Bloc - I wonder what happened to Toronto's dance music pioneers? (I know a few became realtors.) PLUR

Acajack Nov 2, 2020 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9092647)
I was listening to a station in Quinte last week and their tagline was 'music from the 70s, 80s, and now' and I was curious about what happened in the 90s, 00s, and 10s for them to just skip over them entirely :haha:

I don't know how people can do it. 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' definitely had an expiry date sometime in the mid-90s.

I have a number of people I know who basically *only* listen to rock music from those eras and even overhearing anything from any other era or another genre to them is basically like drinking liquid shit.

They consider themselves to be musical connaisseurs because they can identify every single riff played by Eddie Van Halen or some other guitar legend.

Which is fine. I mean I love a lot of that stuff too. I grew up with it.

But I don't consider them true music lovers. Their scope and frame of mind is just too limited.

MolsonExport Nov 2, 2020 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9092647)

Who the fuck would want to pour some sugar on this guy? :yuck::yuck:
Apparently he thinks he is hot, sticky sweet,
from his head to his stinky feet.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...IdkGq7UUnMAbn-
blabbermouth

hipster duck Nov 2, 2020 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9092697)
I have a number of people I know who basically *only* listen to rock music from those eras and even overhearing anything from any other era or another genre to them is basically like drinking liquid shit.

They consider themselves to be musical connaisseurs because they can identify every single riff played by Eddie Van Halen or some other guitar legend.

Which is fine. I mean I love a lot of that stuff too. I grew up with it.

But I don't consider them true music lovers. Their scope and frame of mind is just too limited.

There’s something about guitar-driven rock from the 70s-80s that drives something akin to extreme homerism on SSP among its followers.

Fans of other genres aren’t really like this. People who like Britpop, for example, aren’t going to automatically deride ska or shoegaze as trash music.

Acajack Nov 2, 2020 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster duck (Post 9092827)
There’s something about guitar-driven rock from the 70s-80s that drives something akin to extreme homerism on SSP among its followers.

Fans of other genres aren’t really like this. People who like Britpop, for example, aren’t going to automatically deride ska or shoegaze as trash music.

Not just on SSP - in real life too! Musical intolerance which exists to a degree unseen among the fan base of any other genre.

I noticed this ages ago.

Looking at it with a 2020 lens, it's even a bit suspicious as basically every single one of the big names (with the exception of Jimi Hendrix and maybe Lenny Kravitz, anyone else?) are... white dudes! :runaway:

urbandreamer Nov 2, 2020 8:20 PM

This song brings me right back to Summer 1992:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GaNYuKkuUw

rousseau Nov 2, 2020 8:36 PM

Quote:

Is that how it has evolved? I haven't had a finger on the pulse of music trends in a while, but it's clear from your characterization that we're a generation removed from each other, because in the 1980s the classic rock era was defined as the 1960s and early 70s, with the 1980s being derided for how much campy new wave and wispy pop there was. Van Halen wasn't really popular with devotees of the British Invasion, and were eventually seen as precursors to the hair metal of the mid to late 1980s.

Though I can certainly see why guitar rock is defined as 1960s-80s when looking back from the 21st century.

Quote:

Not in North America, anyway. The genres that were mainstream in the UK were only ever marginal and underground here, so we weren't participating in their skirmishes (though we who knew anything about them looked on with envy at the tumult). "Catholic taste" as an aspiration was something I started hearing in the 1990s, from what I recall. Still though, I think your point is right, there's a fusty snobbishness the boomers have about rock guitar that's very off-putting.