SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

oldstuff Aug 12, 2014 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 6685993)
Thanks, AlvaroLegido. I must've seen Beaudry's post, but never connected it with the other picture.


-------------




I found David H. Geedy listed at 1670 W 23rd Street in the City Directories between 1909 and 1921 (LAPL doesn't have any directories for that area between 1901 and 1909). Someone called Claude H McFadden was living there by 1923. The 1921 CD's 'Street and Avenue Guide' says that the 1600 block started at Raymond Avenue, which is the same as today, but like you, I couldn't find #1670 either. The houses either side of that number today are 1666 (built in 1914) and 1676 (built in 1904). The last mention I found for 1670 W 23rd Street in the City Directories is in the 1973 edition. The 1987 edition seems to have mainly different house numbers, so was the street renumbered between 1973 and 1987?

David Geedy appears with his wife Retta in Kendallsville, Indiana in the 1900 Census. They were married in 1884. He does not appear in the 1910 Census in Los Angeles but does in the 1920. In that year he is living at 1672 W. 23rd Street. He is listed as being the owner of the building, with a Homer and Tessie Norcross listed as being renters. Apparently the building was divided into a duplex by 1920. That number does not appear in Los Angeles in the current Assessor's records. It does appear as 1666 and that shows the structure being built in 1914.

ethereal_reality Aug 12, 2014 9:24 PM

Here's an interesting lesser known photograph by Julius Schulman. As most of you know that's the brand new water and power building at the right

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...745/SD7LSX.jpg
pinteresthttp://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/2b/80/b2/2b80b21b94b7486c9fae1eefb87cf02c.jpg

...and the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion at left.

ethereal_reality Aug 12, 2014 10:08 PM

We've probably seen this view of the Water & Power Building by Jules Schulman on NLA, but this one is of exceptionally high-quality.
Note the working fountains on either side of the building. These fountains have been turned off for decades.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...661/4kEeEG.jpg
pinterest

This is one of my favorite mid-century modern buildings.

__

ethereal_reality Aug 12, 2014 10:33 PM

A Note:

My posts have been fewer (and more succinct) recently because I've been having problems with my computer. I keep getting unresponsive pages (among other things) when I try to go back and forth between Skyscraperpage and Imageshack. A post that might have taken me a few minutes in the past is now taking 20 minutes (and that twenty minutes is chock full of frustration).

I'm thinking of getting a new hard-drive, but then all my pictures (probably close to 200,000 saved photographs) will be on my old computer. So whats the best way to transfer them to a new computer? Or should I just get additional memory on the computer I have now? You can probably tell I'm not computer savvy at all.

I have hundreds, if not thousands, of posts waiting to be, well, posted. :)

__

HossC Aug 12, 2014 10:51 PM

:previous:

I don't know what type of computer you own, but have you tried a different browser?

For transferring your photos, there are a couple of options. I've just checked a well-known online retailer, and they are selling 128 Gb USB flash drives starting at about $40. They say that's big enough for 32,518 photographs, but the figure is for 14 megapixel pictures whereas yours are likely to be much smaller. I'd guess you could transfer all your pictures in one go and keep them on the flash drive as backup. Alternatively, you could take the hard drive out of your old computer and put it in a USB enclosure (they can be bought for under $10). Then you could copy the pictures across to the new computer, or use your old hard drive as an external drive. Sorry if that sounds complicated - it's actually pretty easy.

CityBoyDoug Aug 12, 2014 11:37 PM

The noir pool....1953
 
Liberace....piano player....Los Angeles resident.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps86b0a13b.jpg
rst image

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...pse686e116.jpg
rst image

Graybeard Aug 13, 2014 1:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6688905)
A Note:

My posts have been fewer (and more succinct) recently because I've been having problems with my computer. I keep getting unresponsive pages (among other things) when I try to go back and forth between Skyscraperpage and Imageshack. A post that might have taken me a few minutes in the past is now taking 20 minutes (and that twenty minutes is full of frustration).

I'm thinking of getting a new hard-drive, but then all my pictures (probably close to 200,000 saved photographs) will be on my old computer. So whats the best way to transfer them to a new computer? Or should I just get additional memory on the computer I have now? You can probably tell I'm not computer savvy at all.

I have hundreds, if not thousands, of posts waiting to be, well, posted. :)

__

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 6688923)
:previous:

I don't know what type of computer you own, but have you tried a different browser?

For transferring your photos, there are a couple of options. I've just checked a well-known online retailer, and they are selling 128 Gb USB flash drives starting at about $40. They say that's big enough for 32,518 photographs, but the figure is for 14 megapixel pictures whereas yours are likely to be much smaller. I'd guess you could transfer all your pictures in one go and keep them on the flash drive as backup. Alternatively, you could take the hard drive out of your old computer and put it in a USB enclosure (they can be bought for under $10). Then you could copy the pictures across to the new computer, or use your old hard drive as an external drive. Sorry if that sounds complicated - it's actually pretty easy.

Depending on what type of computer you have, or more specifically the interface on your hard drive, you can install it in a new computer. Most if not all new computers have SATA drives. If your computer is 5 years old or so, it probably has an IDE drive.
For about $75 you can get a 500 GB external drive and copy and paste your "picture" folder to it. Not a bad idea at anytime. You'll have them should anything happen to your PC.

ethereal_reality Aug 13, 2014 2:00 AM

Thanks so much for your suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. ( I have a Dell computer from around 2006 with Windows Vista)
I'll have to research flash drives...etc.

It was reported five minutes ago that Lauren Bacall has died. :( :( :(

__

Albany NY Aug 13, 2014 2:01 AM

Now you see it, now you don't
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 5182043)
Before the Wilshire Grand, the Statler-Hilton, the Statler, before Hoffman Studebaker... I've discovered that there was Harold Arnold. Mr. Arnold built the Arnold Building at Figueroa and 7th, selling Hudson and the Hudson's cheaper companion, the Essex, as well as, at some point, Lincoln. Paul Hoffman later took the building over to sell Studes....

The Arnold Building, ca. 1922
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics35/00067437.jpgLAPL http://http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics35/00067437.jpg


As Hoffman Studebaker, now much be-signed, a picture we've seen before
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics08/00013931.jpg

According to the LAPL, whose photo captions I try not to let test my patience, the Arnold/Hoffman building "served
as the framework for the Statler Hotel in 1951." Surely they don't mean literally.... I'm sure we've seen this lot in prior
pics here cleared of all traces of the car dealership....

Is it just me, or is there something missing on the "newer" image? Notice that in the 1922 image there is an additional structure on the roof.

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/2351/UWZBl2.jpg

This structure is missing from the image taken during the Studebaker days.

http://imageshack.com/a/img910/3294/zpGWnv.jpg

It seems too short to be an additional floor. So what exactly was it's purpose? When was it removed, and why? (I always seem to have questions, but never answers!)

Albany NY Aug 13, 2014 2:31 AM

The heavens are shining a little brighter tonight
 
On hearing the news of the loss of the incomparable Lauren Bacall, I challenge anyone, anywhere, to claim that she does not deserve mention on this thread. During her lifetime, she not only played roles in some of the best films, but she lived through a time and a place that simply exuded noir. She not only lived within it, but she "owned" it. It takes a special kind of "dame" (said with absolute nourish respect) to live through the noir Hollywood days, through the mad '60's, outlive the drug-crazed '70's, the preppy '80's, the me-me-me '90's, the "oh-my-God what's happening?" '00's, and the "look at me, I'm somebody" '10's. Her style, her grace, hell, her very BEING is eternal, and a wake-up call to every Hollywood starlet who thinks that they might be the next 'big thing'. Correct me if I'm wrong, ER, but the 'noirish' image of Lauren Bacall seems to be a perfect fit with this thread , whether it is fact or Hollywood fiction.

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/4520/eThx6m.jpgclassichollywoodcentral.com http://imageshack.com/a/img673/5030/ADSj1F.jpgartsblog.dallasnews.com

MartinTurnbull Aug 13, 2014 4:36 AM

Sunset Cafe
 
[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;4567629]Here's another storefront from long ago, Albert's Sunset Cafe (no address).

I was intrigued by the Sparkeeta Root Beer and Cheri-Keeta signs. I had never heard of these products.


http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/581...tcafe1930s.jpg
usc digital archive

Evidently, the Sunset Cafe was at 1010 Sunset Blvd (near Beaudry), according to a LAT article dated Feb. 16, 1936.

FredH Aug 13, 2014 6:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6689087)
Thanks so much for your suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. ( I have a Dell computer from around 2006 with Windows Vista)
I'll have to research flash drives...etc.

It was reported five minutes ago that Lauren Bacall has died. :( :( :(

__

ER - I think I am running about the same system you are. Sometimes, when I am copying too many images around, my system bogs down too. A couple of simple things:

Sometimes I just close all the open windows. For a minute or two, the little hard drive light flashes like crazy. When the light finally stops (and has everything sorted out, I guess) I open things back up and it seems to work better.

Also, try this: click on the little ball (Start) on the lower left corner. Click on All Programs, then click on Accessories, the click on System Tools, then click on Disk Cleanup. That may help. The Disk Defragmenter is also right under the Disk Cleanup, if you want to try that.

ONE THING YOU SHOULD DO FOR SURE - Go out and get yourself an external hard drive. It looks like you can get a terabyte (which is huge) for about $67 at Staples. The external hard drive just plugs into one of your USB ports. Copy all of your folders with photos onto the external hard drive.
If your computer's hard drive craps out, your photos are safe. If you buy a new computer, just plug your external hard drive into the new computer and you can access all the photos.


Re: Lauren Bacall - I know she was younger than Bogart, but he died way back in 1957. How many people outlive their spouses by 57 years!

Graybeard Aug 13, 2014 1:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6689087)
Thanks so much for your suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. ( I have a Dell computer from around 2006 with Windows Vista)
I'll have to research flash drives...etc.

It was reported five minutes ago that Lauren Bacall has died. :( :( :(

__

If you pop the cover and see a gray or light blue ribbon cable, about an inch and a half wide, going to your drive, then you have an IDE drive. If you see a narrow 3/8 inch cable to your drive, it's SATA. That drive can be installed in a new PC.

Lwize Aug 13, 2014 9:33 PM

I second getting external hard drives for back ups and for transferring to a new computer. They're cheap, cheap and cheap. I have two for redundancy (photos, music and personal stuff).
Go to Costco or Frys. They're always on sale.

Tourmaline Aug 13, 2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 6688964)
Liberace....piano player....Los Angeles resident.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps86b0a13b.jpg
rst image

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...pse686e116.jpg
rst image

:hi:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9316

sopas ej Aug 14, 2014 1:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albany NY (Post 6689120)
On hearing the news of the loss of the incomparable Lauren Bacall, I challenge anyone, anywhere, to claim that she does not deserve mention on this thread. During her lifetime, she not only played roles in some of the best films, but she lived through a time and a place that simply exuded noir. She not only lived within it, but she "owned" it. It takes a special kind of "dame" (said with absolute nourish respect) to live through the noir Hollywood days, through the mad '60's, outlive the drug-crazed '70's, the preppy '80's, the me-me-me '90's, the "oh-my-God what's happening?" '00's, and the "look at me, I'm somebody" '10's. Her style, her grace, hell, her very BEING is eternal, and a wake-up call to every Hollywood starlet who thinks that they might be the next 'big thing'. Correct me if I'm wrong, ER, but the 'noirish' image of Lauren Bacall seems to be a perfect fit with this thread , whether it is fact or Hollywood fiction.

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/4520/eThx6m.jpgclassichollywoodcentral.com http://imageshack.com/a/img673/5030/ADSj1F.jpgartsblog.dallasnews.com

She was something, wasn't she? Here she is with Bogey and the Chairman of the Board, at the Beverly Hilton, I believe.
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/...51203474_n.jpg
blog.weddings-365.com



OK, I couldn't resist.

It's deCAFFeinated, and the flavah is MAHvelous. MMMMMMMmmmm, it's a coffee lovah's DREAM.
Video Link


She can even get a 5 year-old boy to imitate her.
Video Link

FredH Aug 14, 2014 3:14 AM

The Scene That May Have Ended Lauren Bacall's Career in 1945
 
People loved the back-and-forth between Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall in the 1944 movie To Have And Have Not.
The next year Bacall went on to make Confidential Agent with Charles Boyer and then The Big Sleep with Bogart.
Warner Brothers had several World War Two films in the can, and with the war winding down, held up
The Big Sleep to get the war films out. In the meantime, Confidential Agent hit the theaters and the young Lauren Bacall's
performance was panned severely by the critics. With The Big Sleep still on hold, Bacall's agent pleaded with Jack Warner to re-do
some of Bacall's scenes in the Big Sleep to make them more like the scenes between her and Bogart that people loved in
To Have And Have Not. The scene most despised by her agent was "The Veil Scene".

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps338c13bc.jpg
The Big Sleep, Warner Brothers, 1945

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...psc6c1da47.jpg
The Big Sleep, Warner Brothers, 1945

Bogart (now married to Bacall) would do anything to help his new wife's career. Several scenes were re-shot to
make Bacall look better. The Veil Scene was replaced by the famous, ribald, restaurant scene where Bagart and
Bacall discussed "racehorses".

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2801d5ee.jpg
The Big Sleep, Warner Brothers, 1946

The revised version came out in 1946 and was a big success. Bacall's career was saved and her fame lasted decades.




Also, found this nice photo on the web today.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...psec3a7d40.jpg

MartinTurnbull Aug 14, 2014 2:34 PM

Traffic outside the Hollywood Bowl, circa 1950s
 
It look like that by the time this photo was taken outside the Hollywood Bowl in the 1950s, Los Angeles’ transformation from “best public transportation network in the world” to “city most reliant on the automobile” was well underway. But, I’m wondering, what those logs in the foreground were for. It looks like construction was going on but as far as I’m aware--does anyone here know anything better?--the land opposite the Bowl’s entrance was a parking lot until the Cecil B. DeMille barn (where filming took place on “The Squaw Man” (1914), the first feature film to be produced in the Hollywood area) was moved there in 1983.

http://www.martinturnbull.com/wp-con...wl-Traffic.png

Tourmaline Aug 14, 2014 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull (Post 6690878)
It look like that by the time this photo was taken outside the Hollywood Bowl in the 1950s, Los Angeles’ transformation from “best public transportation network in the world” to “city most reliant on the automobile” was well underway. But, I’m wondering, what those logs in the foreground were for. It looks like construction was going on but as far as I’m aware--does anyone here know anything better?--the land opposite the Bowl’s entrance was a parking lot until the Cecil B. DeMille barn (where filming took place on “The Squaw Man” (1914), the first feature film to be produced in the Hollywood area) was moved there in 1983.

http://www.martinturnbull.com/wp-con...wl-Traffic.png


Fair bet that most of those utility poles were part of the street car infrastructure. No street cars = no need for overhead power supplies.

http://www.pacificelectric.org/wp-co...-July-1952.jpghttp://www.pacificelectric.org/wp-co...-July-1952.jpg

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=7997

MichaelRyerson Aug 14, 2014 4:30 PM

e-r posted this a while back but with a watermark...
 
thought I'd scrub it up a bit...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5559/...6a13651a_h.jpgLooking east down 5th Street from the Harbor Freeway, 1963

View looking east down 5th Street from the Harbor Freeway overpass in about 1963. Clear view of the Monarch Hotel (here showing as the
Monarch Apartments) on the NW corner of 5th and Figueroa with the Architects Building on the right (in the shade) on the SE corner. Nice
view of the Sunkist with the Edison in the background, a sliver of the Touraine (in the shade) and a touch of the Engstrum's flat cornice.

Perhaps most interesting, to the left of the Monarch we can see the back of the Barbara Worth up on Hope Street and between it and
the telephone pole the red brick of the Biltmore Apartments on Grand Avenue and a squarish black garage door on the Bunker Hill
Avenue side of the 4th and Grand garage. To the left of the telephone pole is a house on Bunker Hill Avenue.


ebay via NLA founder e-r.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.