SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

HossC Feb 8, 2015 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 6906698)

Have we seen this one before?

Looking south down Vine from just above Hollywood Blvd, 1942. There's the Equitable and Taft buildings on the left and the Broadway Hollywood and Plaza Hotel on the right.

The guy was using a heck of a lens b/c one can make out the Ravenswood and El Royale rooftop signs on N Rossmore over two and a half miles away.

There's a small movie house in the lower right corner of the shot I'm not familiar with.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-a...11937%2BPM.jpg

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/21393/rec/7

It's probably that lens that caught you out, because that "small movie house in the lower right corner" is the Hollywood Playhouse at 1735 Vine Street. Here's a 1938 picture from Martin Turnbull's blog.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...Playhouse1.jpg
www.martinturnbull.com

This is how it looked until fairly recently.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...Playhouse2.jpg
you-are-here.com

But now they've gone for a gray and white paint scheme.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...Playhouse3.jpg
GSV

tovangar2 Feb 8, 2015 11:34 PM

:previous: Thank you HossC! I've corrected my post

ethereal_reality Feb 9, 2015 2:14 AM

I just found this exceedingly rare photograph of 'Ferguson Alley' in Los Angeles' Chinatown on eBay. (1880s....1890s?)
I'm still trying to make out what's in the distance....are those smokestacks or a building under construction? -& there also appears to be a water-tower partially hidden behind the wooden support-

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/903/eAkilX.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Men-...item234ab10597

Does anyone know what the Chinese symbol stands for in the upper right coner? scroll right----->


here's the reverse
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...537/jVi2nP.jpg
__

BDiH Feb 9, 2015 2:32 AM

The Hollywood Playhouse
 
The theater was known as the El Capitan in the 1940's; it was home to Ken Murray's Blackouts. In the 1960's it was the Hollywood Palace and more recently it was renamed the Avalon. The cafeteria next door was the Ontra.

ethereal_reality Feb 9, 2015 2:41 AM

:previous: You're absolutely correct BDiH.


Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 5871472)

'Ken Murray Blackouts of 1948' at the El Capitan on Vine Street in Hollywood.

http://imageshack.us/a/img210/984/aa...tantheater.jpg




below: 'Blackouts' placard along the street.

http://imageshack.us/a/img109/4137/a...utsplacard.jpg



http://imageshack.us/a/img545/4126/aabblackoutsg1a.jpg
http://store.acousticsounds.com/incl...title_id=26812


For more information on Ken Murray and his long running stage show clink on the link.
http://projects.latimes.com/hollywoo...lk/ken-murray/

__


tovangar2 Feb 9, 2015 2:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDiH (Post 6906902)
The theater was known as the El Capitan in the 1940's; it was home to Ken Murray's Blackouts. In the 1960's it was the Hollywood Palace and more recently it was renamed the Avalon. The cafeteria next door was the Ontra.

Thank you BDiH. Very much appreciated. It's responses like yours (& HossC's and e-r's) that make this thread so special. Thanks to all of you.


Turns out the Ontra lasted until 1990

tovangar2 Feb 9, 2015 2:56 AM

e-r, the street in your photo looks too wide to be Ferguson Alley (?)

stanklem Feb 9, 2015 3:57 AM

John Marshall High School
 
Note the Shakespeare Bridge to the bottom left of the school.

http://franklinhills.org/fh-1932-sm.jpg
FranklinHills.org

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ctPjbURQ47...-2-640x363.png
Hollywood Walker website

CityBoyDoug Feb 9, 2015 4:29 AM

Ken Murray - Hollywood
 
Ken Murray of Blackouts fame, made many home movies of his Hollywood friends in their natural surroundings and often without makeup.

He reveals what they were like at home......

Here's the link to one of his home movies of the movie stars.....part one of three......


http://youtu.be/a27wxiJjec0

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psxmt0rcdd.jpg
Murray

Andys Feb 9, 2015 4:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanklem (Post 6906968)
Note the Shakespeare Bridge to the bottom left of the school.

http://franklinhills.org/fh-1932-sm.jpg
FranklinHills.org

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ctPjbURQ47...-2-640x363.png
Hollywood Walker website

That school is John Marshall H.S. My alma mater, class of '67. I believe it's a historic landmark.

Andys

stanklem Feb 9, 2015 5:36 AM

Hotel Boyle
 
http://la.streetsblog.org/wp-content...collection.jpg
Workman Collection
On the corner of 1st and Boyle

tovangar2 Feb 9, 2015 5:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanklem (Post 6906968)
Note the Shakespeare Bridge to the bottom left of the school.

A slightly different angle


Also, some priors on the Cummings Block / Boyle Hotel:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9671
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=14464
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=14466

I miss the chimneys. I wish they'd faked them.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-D...24121%2BAM.jpg
boyleheightsbeat.com

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-q...20454%2BAM.jpg
wiki

How does one run the flag up the pole?

oldstuff Feb 9, 2015 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6906442)
And here's another photograph, this time a snapshot with a 'mystery' street.

Los Angeles, 1930s.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/912/D4HILG.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Los-Angeles-...item5670656e3a

This will take some sleuthing. :) I can almost make out the name of the service station proprietor.....Jess B_ _ _ __ .
and what does it say before Eagle....is it Golden Eagle?

(I hope that swell apartment building is still standing)
__

The name of the gas station proprietor is Jess Boykin. A 1937 directory gives the gas station address as 3600 Sunset Blvd. Jess Boykin was born in Texas in 1893. He appears in the 1940 census, living with his wife's father and brother at 1408 Maltman, which would have been just around the corner from the gas station. The property where the gas station stood is now a parking lot for a 99 cent store. The County Assessor's office lists the parking lot with a "build date" of 1971, so this may have been when the gas station was torn down. The apartment building, visible in the background with the twin towers at the corners, is still there.

While the bench that the people were sitting on has been replaced by a plexiglass and aluminum bus shelter, there are still visible, marks on the pavement to the left of that shelter which would have been where the concrete feet of the old bench would have been bolted down.

Directly across Sunset from the bus bench is a brick building, which is only partly seen in the original photo. It is now a café with outside seating. The building just behind the gas station, which appears to be a frame building is also now gone, a victim of the parking lot. The building that now houses the 99 Cent Store was also in the picture. The assessor's office indicates that it was built in 1936.

JScott Feb 9, 2015 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6906883)
I just found this exceedingly rare photograph of Ferguson Alley in Los Angeles' Chinatown on eBay. (1880s....1890s?)
I'm still trying to make out what's in the distance....are those smokestacks or a building under construction? -& there also appears to be a water-tower partially hidden behind the wooden support-

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/903/eAkilX.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Men-...item234ab10597


My guess is we're looking north on Los Angeles Street from its intersection with Ferguson Alley, with the Lugo Adobe just ahead of us.

HossC Feb 9, 2015 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldstuff (Post 6907384)

The name of the gas station proprietor is Jess Boykin. A 1937 directory gives the gas station address as 3600 Sunset Blvd. Jess Boykin was born in Texas in 1893. He appears in the 1940 census, living with his wife's father and brother at 1408 Maltman, which would have been just around the corner from the gas station. The property where the gas station stood is now a parking lot for a 99 cent store. The County Assessor's office lists the parking lot with a "build date" of 1971, so this may have been when the gas station was torn down. The apartment building, visible in the background with the twin towers at the corners, is still there.

While the bench that the people were sitting on has been replaced by a plexiglass and aluminum bus shelter, there are still visible, marks on the pavement to the left of that shelter which would have been where the concrete feet of the old bench would have been bolted down.

Directly across Sunset from the bus bench is a brick building, which is only partly seen in the original photo. It is now a café with outside seating. The building just behind the gas station, which appears to be a frame building is also now gone, a victim of the parking lot. The building that now houses the 99 Cent Store was also in the picture. The assessor's office indicates that it was built in 1936.

Good spot, oldstuff. I'd decided that the text under "GOLDEN EAGLE" might say "RADAR ETHYL", but I was nowhere near "Boykin" for the surname. Here's an approximation of the same view today.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...3600Sunset.jpg
GSV

And a frontal view of the apartment building.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...tmanStreet.jpg
GSV

The gas station and building next to the apartments seem to have already gone to make way for the parking lot by 1964 (going by Historic Aerials). They may have gone even earlier, but the 1948 and 1952 images are too blurry to be sure.

Wig-Wag Feb 9, 2015 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanklem (Post 6905085)
This photo is currently on eBay. Google Earth has the address 505 Crenshaw at the corner of Crenshaw and 208th Street. The track currently stops inside of the Mobil refinery. The Santa Fe line also runs across Crenshaw a bit further south but, at a diagonal and elevated.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAzNFgxNj...TWVM5/$_35.JPG

This might be of interest as you are in Hermosa.
http://filelibrary.myaasite.com/Cont...14/6169749.jpg

Great find on the Santa Fe Hermosa Beach depot postcard and contrasting torrance postcard, stanklem!

And kudos to C. King on locating the abandoned rails site. That is exactly where I would have sent you. It is a great reference for abandoned railroads throughout the state.

Cheers,
Jack

fhammon Feb 9, 2015 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JScott (Post 6907444)
My guess is we're looking north on Los Angeles Street from its intersection with Ferguson Alley, with the Lugo Adobe just ahead of us.


I agree. Possibly Capitol Milling Co is looming large in the distance.
Here's a similar shot but I'm not sure if it's the Lugo House here.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebisebster (Post 5133059)

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5...5203516394.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
A man peers in a shop window near a barber pole in Chinatown. It is in Los Angeles St? Photo date: circa 1920.

Is there are barber pole here?

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8...512china1b.jpg

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1368

HossC Feb 9, 2015 5:45 PM

:previous:

Here's a circa 1890-1895 of the Lugo house and its neighbors. Other than the absence of the brick wall on the left of e_r's picture, the other details like the sloping roof and the steps in front of the properties to the right of the Lugo house all seem to be present.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...PlazaLugo1.jpg
Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Here's the full image.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...PlazaLugo2.jpg
USC Digital Library

JScott Feb 9, 2015 7:45 PM

Is it Lugo House or Lugo Adobe? I know the two names refer to different buildings, but I always seem to get them confused.


Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 6907571)
:previous:

Here's a circa 1890-1895 of the Lugo house and its neighbors. Other than the absence of the brick wall on the left of e_r's picture, the other details like the sloping roof and the steps in front of the properties to the right of the Lugo house all seem to be present.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...PlazaLugo2.jpg
USC Digital Library


What a truly fabulous picture. I could (and probably will) spend the whole day just gazing at the magnified details, especially the views in the far distance. I can hardly recognize the topography in its as-yet undeveloped state.

HossC Feb 9, 2015 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JScott (Post 6907772)

Is it Lugo House or Lugo Adobe? I know the two names refer to different buildings, but I always seem to get them confused.

A quick Google shows that both names are used almost interchangeably by different sources when referring to the building on the Plaza, although I'd guess that Lugo Adobe is more correct. In my defense, I used "house" with a lowercase "h" to simply imply that it was the house of the Lugo family ;).

ETA: I've just noticed that the USC caption for the image I posted is "View of the Los Angeles Plaza from the Mission Los Angeles toward the Lugo House".


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.