SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Wolf Point - East Tower | 679 FT | 62 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228891)

Tom In Chicago Jun 6, 2018 10:31 PM

^I think you made your point. . .

. . .

Notyrview Jun 6, 2018 10:35 PM

And I think Harry's made his too ;)

10023 Jun 6, 2018 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrinChi (Post 8211209)
Just hire a couple of gondolas to go back and forth :titanic:

I imagine got mean boats, but what about an aerial gondola?

Chicago needs to have one of those crossing the river somewhere.

Nate1357 Jun 10, 2018 7:00 PM

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1734/4...b79657bd_b.jpg

From this morning's fog.

jc5680 Jun 10, 2018 8:10 PM

KWillChicago Jun 10, 2018 9:16 PM

Thanks for the pic jc. Looking at it from that view across the river, it would have been cool if they but a pedway in underneath the riverwalks for all three buildings. With connections to the parking garages.

aaron38 Jun 10, 2018 11:12 PM

Why does everything have to be a destination? A destination for who? Most people don’t want to live and work at a tourist destination and deal with the security and hassles that come with that.

SolarWind Jun 13, 2018 12:53 AM

June 12, 2018

donnie Jun 13, 2018 1:22 AM

Just me or does the core look massive?

SolarWind Jun 13, 2018 1:52 AM

300 North LaSalle

April 5, 2007

300 North LaSalle has one of the larger cores that can I recall. Check out how small the workers look next to it.

LouisVanDerWright Jun 13, 2018 2:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie (Post 8218936)
Just me or does the core look massive?

This is a large building, core is in line with what we saw at 150 and 444 and most of the other 700' class office buildings. This is a 679' skyscraper, it's in the same general height class as all of the big modern class A office blocks around it.

BuildThemTaller Jun 13, 2018 1:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever (Post 7578733)
[IMG]Wolf Point's second tower to rise 66 stories
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ise-66-stories

By Ryan Ori J G

Wolf Point's developers are planning to launch construction of a 66-story apartment tower in early 2017, the second of three planned towers on the riverside site near the Merchandise Mart, in early 2017.

Wolf Point East will be a 750-foot-tall tower with 707 luxury apartments, according to the AFL-CIO Building Investment Trust, an investor in the first two phases of the development. The tower will be 66 stories.

Crain's first reported in April that the tower's developers, a venture led by Hines Interests and Joseph P. Kennedy Enterprises planned to break ground on the second tower in the first quarter of 2017. At the time, specific details of the project were not disclosed...

^Is it odd to see such a large core, one in line with Class A office towers, on a residential building? Perhaps a bank of elevators will terminate at the 30th or so floor.

left of center Jun 13, 2018 1:32 PM

^ I got excited when I saw the height stat from that article claimed WPE would be 750 feet tall... then everything came back down to earth when I saw it was from 2016. Its too damn early to have an emotional rollercoaster! :)

harryc Jun 14, 2018 11:02 PM

June 13

June 8

SolarWind Jun 21, 2018 4:10 AM

June 20, 2018

donnie Jun 21, 2018 4:19 AM

What a profound difference a paint job can make!
:aplause:

HomrQT Jun 21, 2018 4:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 8216555)
Why does everything have to be a destination? A destination for who? Most people don’t want to live and work at a tourist destination and deal with the security and hassles that come with that.

The grandest cities in the world are just one "destination" after another... NYC, Paris, London, Rome have another "destination" everytime you turn your head.

AMWChicago Jun 21, 2018 5:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suiram (Post 8211825)
As a side note, I would love to see a pedestrian & bicycle only bridge across the Chicago river that is a "modern" take on Chicago-style bascule bridges. I may be in the minority but it would look cool if it captures the context. And of course would be practical.

I think that would be interesting. Like the Millennium Bridge in London. I think the only difficulty is the demand for one. Because the Loop is so well connected by streets already within the grid it may be hard to propose a strong location for it. Maybe in between the gap from LSD to Columbus or a connector from Union Station to the Loop.

Come to think of it, the upcoming pedestrian bridge under construction from Grand across the river along LSD is already an example of this idea. Just not as independent of bridge as i believe you're thinking of.

I'd love to see something like this realized though.

harryc Jun 21, 2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suiram (Post 8211825)
As a side note, I would love to see a pedestrian & bicycle only bridge across the Chicago river that is a "modern" take on Chicago-style bascule bridges. I may be in the minority but it would look cool if it captures the context. And of course would be practical.

In this shot from April:
The Rectangle on the Left is the riverside for 444 W lake to discourage use by non tenants it is a long set of stairs down to the river level on the South - or a climb up to the upper deck - then a long(er) set of stairs on the N.

The RiverView (?) condos do have a nice bit of frontage - open to the public - nicely maintained. connects to the Riverside to the south, but again at the end you have a significant climb. --- to the North (red box on the right), well that is all private.

a contrasting example would be 150 N Riverside - where the open plaza at street level is inviting, strategically located, and well used.

ardecila Jun 21, 2018 2:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMWChicago (Post 8228265)
I think that would be interesting. Like the Millennium Bridge in London. I think the only difficulty is the demand for one. Because the Loop is so well connected by streets already within the grid it may be hard to propose a strong location for it. Maybe in between the gap from LSD to Columbus or a connector from Union Station to the Loop.

Come to think of it, the upcoming pedestrian bridge under construction from Grand across the river along LSD is already an example of this idea. Just not as independent of bridge as i believe you're thinking of.

I'd love to see something like this realized though.

Yes the city's Central Area Plan calls for new pedestrian bridges at McClurg and Quincy, but both would have to be operable so they would be quite expensive.

I agree with the need for a bridge to Wolf Point, though, it could land on the upper deck of River Point's plaza with (existing) stairs and elevator down to the end of Fulton St.

Just as Daniel Burnham intended:
http://i65.tinypic.com/15z5lrp.jpg
src