SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 850 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

left of center Jan 24, 2018 7:22 PM

Quote:

Pelli pegs the final height of Wolf Point South at 950 feet, approaching—though not quite meeting—the 984-foot threshold to officially qualify as a “supertall.” Nothing a decorative spire couldn’t fix...
come on, dammit.... lol

Fvn Jan 24, 2018 7:36 PM

It says page not found on PCP website for WPE, I guess they removed it lol

left of center Jan 24, 2018 7:37 PM

Edited: double post

BVictor1 Jan 24, 2018 7:48 PM

One is better and more refined than the other to me.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...823232/enhance

HomrQT Jan 24, 2018 7:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8059233)
One is better and more refined than the other to me.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...823232/enhance

Ha, I posted on curbed that I wish WPS took a page from OCS.

r18tdi Jan 24, 2018 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fvn (Post 8059209)
It says page not found on PCP website for WPE, I guess they removed it lol

Someone done goofed. :duh

donnie Jan 24, 2018 8:52 PM

I'm sure the design of South will change since we're still a few years away from it getting started!

Steely Dan Jan 24, 2018 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie (Post 8059307)
I'm sure the design of South will change since we're still a few years away from it getting started!

i don't know about that.

sure, some of the detailing may continue to evolve and there's always the VE hatchet to be wary of, but from an overall form perspective, i think we're probably gonna end up with something pretty damn similar to what we're looking at in these new renderings.

i don't foresee the wheel getting reinvented here, unless the whole development tanks and another developer has to pick up the pieces years/decades down the road.

Kngkyle Jan 24, 2018 9:05 PM

I don't really get the hate for WPS. I think it's slightly better than OCS design wise. Sure, it's more generic but I prefer the symmetry to the seemingly random setbacks of OCS. Neither are extraordinary though, just good. Wolf Point also does a much better job at the ground - no massive parking podium. I think Vista and the Site I proposal in LSE are more striking. Height wise I would hope for something a bit taller at this site but 950 FT is pretty respectable, especially if that ends up being to the highest floor and not the architectural top. If that is the case it could easily be over 1,000 FT.

Also agree with Steely in that this is likely very close to the final design. Not surprised they adjusted the programming to reduce the amount of office space. I could see them going totally residential/hotel if demand holds up. Probably condos on top, apartments in the middle, hotel at the bottom. At over 1.5 million sqft this thing has more floor space than Vista.

donnie Jan 24, 2018 10:16 PM

If they would add a crown like the AT&T building in Nashville it would really stand out! I also love the L.A Wilshire feel it has going with the blcony near the top! Either way i hope it gets built no matter how much people disagree!

230Roberto Jan 24, 2018 10:41 PM

Just please add a spire or something we are so close to the supertall mark.

Fvn Jan 24, 2018 10:51 PM

Wouldn't even look that bad if it had a spire on the south point of it and partially on side of building (like wilshire grand)

Kngkyle Jan 24, 2018 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 230Roberto (Post 8059464)

Because that is what really matters here.

If anything Chicago should be above that practice considering it was because of spires that Sears lost it's title to Petronas Towers. So no, don't add a spire. In fact, fuck spires. They are pointless and should not count towards the height of a building. Sears Tower observatory is 99 feet higher than the 1WTC observatory, yet it's "officially" 326 feet shorter than 1WTC. Hah. Fuck spires.

LouisVanDerWright Jan 24, 2018 11:06 PM

2020? That's ambitious.

Fvn Jan 24, 2018 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 8059490)

If anything Chicago should be above that practice considering it was because of spires that Sears lost it's title to Petronas Towers. So no, don't add a spire. In fact, fuck spires. They are pointless and should not count towards the height of a building.

Fuck spires.

Yea whats the deal with that I thought they only counted towards height in certain circumstances?

(I'm too lazy to edit my above post so I'll add it here)
tldr it wouldn't look bad with a spire, but personally I really could care less if its a supertall or not

Zapatan Jan 24, 2018 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 230Roberto (Post 8059464)

There's always a possibility that 950' is the highest occupied floor, and that a mechanical parapet could take this thing even higher. If I'm not mistaken I read that way back on this thread somewhere.

It would be nice to have 3 (or 4 actually if the Spire site comes around) supertalls going up in the city. :cheers:

230Roberto Jan 24, 2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

If anything Chicago should be above that practice considering it was because of spires that Sears lost it's title to Petronas Towers. So no, don't add a spire. In fact, fuck spires. They are pointless and should not count towards the height of a building. Sears Tower observatory is 99 feet higher than the 1WTC observatory, yet it's "officially" 326 feet shorter than 1WTC. Hah. Fuck spires.

I would have to agree with you, When ever someone ask me what the tallest building is in the U.S i tell them 1WTC, but then i explain to them why. But if there is anyway this tower can get to the "supertall" mark then that would be great. But yea Spires are soooo not Chicago. #FuckSpires2018

HomrQT Jan 25, 2018 12:07 AM

Quote:

Spires should count. As well as antennas. If something is physically there and a helicopter has to avoid it so it doesn't hit it, then it should count.

Khantilever Jan 25, 2018 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8059596)
Spires should count. As well as antennas. If something is physically there and a helicopter has to avoid it so it doesn't hit it, then it should count.

But then our skyscraper lists should include communication towers and the like. So many of these new "supertalls" are less than 75% occupiable.

HomrQT Jan 25, 2018 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khantilever (Post 8059608)
But then our skyscraper lists should include communication towers and the like. So many of these new "supertalls" are less than 75% occupiable.

If it can contain people why not count it? Some buildings hold more than others.