SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Post Office Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192697)

BraveNewWorld May 27, 2012 5:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever (Post 5714230)
Wrong...try again! The Spire was a real project and was more than just a proposal. I guess people forgot that the Spire sold a 3rd of its 1200 condos in just three or four months. If the world economy didn't fall off a cliff at the end of 2008 the Spire would have been built by now. Also, the Spire was in the planning stages for years. Only if it had been started about a year or so earlier the outcome could have been different. I remember reading an article where the developer of Lakeshore East said that if he had started moving on Aqua a few months later than he did it wouldn't have happened.

Anyway, most people don't think this project is for real for good reasons. I think it's possible if done in stages but even then it would still be almost impossible considering the size of it and the amount of competition, both present and future, in the surrounding area. I don't even think the city will allow the developer to make all those changes to the Old post office. And the sky bridge or whatever it is over the river is also questionable. I don't know if the city would allow that either. I think a lot of changes will have to be made before anyone thakes this development seriously.

Funny you mention the spire, there was an article on it this week suggesting that it might have a small chance at being revived, they were discussing it at SSC. Start reading at post 25 http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1312113&page=2

Zapatan May 27, 2012 5:25 AM

oh that's kinda cool, that article was from 2 days ago, so very recent news. At least the project is not 100% dead even though I won't get my hopes up.

Chicago_Forever May 27, 2012 5:42 AM

:previous: My guess is there won't be any movement on the Spire site for a while mostly due to legal issues. I don't even know if Kelleher still owns the land.

to get back on topic: According to that new video it doesn't look like the project has been scaled back. If anything it seems like it has gotten bigger. I could have sworn there were only five towers in the first proposal now there's seven. Anyway, like I said, until it's scaled back and all the other issue are addressed no one is really going to consider this a real proposal.

Btw, you think Chicago is all YIMBY? Tell that to Draper and Kraper who's been in a court battle for over a decade trying to get a highrise build on north lakeshore drive, or Fouth Presbyterian church on the Mag mile who tried selling air rights to a developer to build a 50 strorey highrise but had to settle for a nice 5 storey box instead b/c NIMBY's shot down the highrise. There are several other instances but I'm not going to go over all of them. Chicago isn't as bad as Boston or San Francisco when it comes to NIMBY but some places in this city are probably just as bad.

Chicago_Forever May 27, 2012 5:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld (Post 5714275)
Funny you mention the spire, there was an article on it this week suggesting that it might have a small chance at being revived, they were discussing it at SSC. Start reading at post 25 http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1312113&page=2

Maybe you need to do some better reading because I don't see anything in that article that says the Spire may have a small chance of being revived. Actually here is a direct quote: "The article quotes on McArdle about the improvements to the land. ” ‘It’s a hole in the ground,’ said David McArdle, an attorney for Lorig, which built exit and entrance ramps to the property. ‘It’s not moving forward.’ ”

BraveNewWorld May 27, 2012 7:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever (Post 5714292)
Maybe you need to do some better reading because I don't see anything in that article that says the Spire may have a small chance of being revived. Actually here is a direct quote: "The article quotes on McArdle about the improvements to the land. ” ‘It’s a hole in the ground,’ said David McArdle, an attorney for Lorig, which built exit and entrance ramps to the property. ‘It’s not moving forward.’ ”

No, read the thread I linked to where they discuss it. I haven't read the article, I was going off of what they said in the thread, starting at post 25, but mainly after that.

yankeesfan1000 May 27, 2012 2:20 PM

^^

The article has way more credibility than a former on SSC. Come to think of it, I actually can't think of a worse place to base ideas and opinions off of than SSC. There have been legitimate discussions about turning 2 and 3 WTC into residential buildings on that site, I don't know how much longer I can take it over there.

ChiSoxRox May 30, 2012 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 (Post 5714419)
^^

The article has way more credibility than a former on SSC. Come to think of it, I actually can't think of a worse place to base ideas and opinions off of than SSC. There have been legitimate discussions about turning 2 and 3 WTC into residential buildings on that site, I don't know how much longer I can take it over there.

I finally snapped, gave some forumer hell over there, and now I'm just on SSP. I noticed how this thread on SSC is going strong with predictions and fantasy, but if the Spire couldn't get out of the ground, we aren't seeing anything pass the Sears until the height of the next boom, which could very well be 15 or 20 years from now. This sure isn't going anywhere.

spyguy Aug 26, 2012 2:26 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...itecture-firms

A new dawn for architecture firms
By: Robert Sharoff August 27, 2012

The opening of three design firms downtown is raising expectations that Chicago's architecture community may be starting to revive from the torpor of the last few years.

...It also acquired the services of Chicago architect Lucien Lagrange, who is working with British developer William Davies on the design of a mixed-use tower for a site adjacent to the old post office southwest of the Loop.

-Filipe- Aug 26, 2012 2:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 5811020)
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...itecture-firms

A new dawn for architecture firms
By: Robert Sharoff August 27, 2012

The opening of three design firms downtown is raising expectations that Chicago's architecture community may be starting to revive from the torpor of the last few years.

...It also acquired the services of Chicago architect Lucien Lagrange, who is working with British developer William Davies on the design of a mixed-use tower for a site adjacent to the old post office southwest of the Loop.

i thought this was dead lol

Chicago_Forever Aug 26, 2012 2:42 PM

It was never really alive to begin with, just a pipe dream. Anyway, the article speaks of a mixed-use tower on a lot adjacent to the old post office, it didn't mention anything about the post office redevelopment, which consists of multiple towers and the rehabing of the old post office.

ardecila Aug 26, 2012 4:35 PM

:brickwall:

I assume this is for the Central Carrier Annex site along the river, which means we could get a Lagrange tower at the visual terminus of the South Branch. Ritz-Carlton looked promising in the renderings and I held out hope, but the execution sucked. I expect the same thing with this.

Yankee fan for life Sep 12, 2012 1:40 AM

So is this project dead in the water ?

Reaperducer Apr 10, 2013 4:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life (Post 5828197)
So is this project dead in the water ?

Not according to the Chicago Architecture Blog:
Old Post Office Development Back On Track With Hotel, Residential, Retail, Office Space and a 100-Story Skyscraper

According to Bill Motchan's article posted on Tuesday:
Quote:

Plans for a massive 5.2 million-square-foot renovation and restoration of the empty Post Office at Canal and Van Buren, and accompanying new West Loop development are once again moving forward.

scalziand Apr 10, 2013 7:50 AM

Now the plan looks to be a 100fl supertall in phase 1, and another supertall and a 2000' megatall in phase 2.

http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...ht-333x500.jpg
http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...dle-and-right/

ih8spires Apr 11, 2013 12:13 PM

After seeing this discussed on Chicago Tonight with Phill Ponce. plus after reading articles on here about this proposal being presented to various city commisions, I think this thread should be put in the Highrise proposal thread. Even if it may only have a one percent chance of happening, and people have had thier hearts broken by failed supertalls, it is a proposal and not just somthing someone drew for fun.

Zapatan Apr 11, 2013 1:30 PM

That's kinda good news, so this project might be real after all? I can't even tell...

I still won't get my hopes up that high but whatever, better than it being cancelled.

Benjamin Osborne Apr 14, 2013 12:31 AM

Could this really happen? I don't want to see another chicago super tall be canceled.

jd3189 Apr 14, 2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalziand (Post 6085305)
Now the plan looks to be a 100fl supertall in phase 1, and another supertall and a 2000' megatall in phase 2.

http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...ht-333x500.jpg
http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...dle-and-right/

Is there demand in Chicago for this?

Chicago103 Apr 15, 2013 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ih8spires (Post 6086605)
After seeing this discussed on Chicago Tonight with Phill Ponce. plus after reading articles on here about this proposal being presented to various city commisions, I think this thread should be put in the Highrise proposal thread. Even if it may only have a one percent chance of happening, and people have had thier hearts broken by failed supertalls, it is a proposal and not just somthing someone drew for fun.

I agree. I share the skepticism but the mere fact it has been discussed recently means something and besides NYC has a serious proposal for a 1,550 to the roof super tall at 225 West 57th Street (read: a building that would de-crown the Sears/Willis Tower as tallest building by roof and occupied floor in the United States!). I really want Chicago to start competing again with supertalls, at least with supertalls in NYC if nowhere else and a revived Chicago Spire and/or this would fit the bill.

Chicago103 Apr 15, 2013 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd3189 (Post 6090320)
Is there demand in Chicago for this?

A big trump card it has is actually it's location, it is near Union Station and the Blue Line as well as reasonably close to La Salle Street station and the Loop elevated plus the expressways. In essence it has the same location advantages as the Sears Tower but yeah there are questions about there being demand for THAT MUCH space. It depends on how the economy picks up, if Chicago can get some of same positive indicators as NYC (relative to our size) then it could happen. It might be 2020 before it is up and NYC might have the US title for a few years but this would put us back in business.