SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Top 15 US cities with skyscrapers/high-rises under construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251871)

Dariusb Aug 5, 2022 4:46 AM

Top 15 US cities with skyscrapers/high-rises under construction

https://youtu.be/k4uXbZ-hLBw
Were you shocked by any of the cities on the list or the order in which they appeared?

atl2phx Aug 5, 2022 1:03 PM

surprised to see ATL in the #2 spot

iheartthed Aug 5, 2022 2:09 PM

I wasn't shocked by any of them. Maybe a little surprised that Atlanta was so high and Dallas was so low. Also a little surprised to see Tampa in the top 15. I would've expected to see a city like Minneapolis, Denver, or Charlotte instead.

Also, speaking of Minneapolis, it appears that the Midwest is the only heavily populated region of the country with only one city in the top 15.

Steely Dan Aug 5, 2022 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9694627)
Also, speaking of Minneapolis, it appears that the Midwest is the only heavily populated region of the country with only one city in the top 15.

outside of chicago, the midwest just isn't a region that puts up big numbers of big towers (at least not since the '80s binge), but at least the past handful of years has been the best period of broadly spread (ie. more than just chicago) big tower construction in the midwest in some time.

two new 500+ footers in both minneapolis and milwaukee, and one apiece for detroit and cleveland:

https://i.postimg.cc/z3YDqKrM/GRAPH-08-05-2022.png

homebucket Aug 5, 2022 3:09 PM

Definitely a bit dated now in Aug 2022. SF currently has 0 skyscrapers u/c and maybe like 3 highrises u/c.

DZH22 Aug 5, 2022 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9694702)
Definitely a bit dated now in Aug 2022. SF currently has 0 skyscrapers u/c and maybe like 3 highrises u/c.

Oh yeah, if you look it's from over a year and a half ago. It's also kind of silly to combine "skyscrapers" and "highrises" so that cities building zero of the former get to be ahead of ones building 5.

The North One Aug 5, 2022 4:21 PM

This seems like a totally made up list.

Just doing a quick diagram search reveals there is not a single skyscraper in Atlanta under construction right now...

Nite Aug 5, 2022 4:23 PM

if the list included Canada the top 3 would look like this:

1: Toronto: 197
2: New York: 183
3: Montreal: 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 9694755)

Just doing a quick diagram search reveals there is not a single skyscraper in Atlanta under construction right now...

Yes Atlanta seems very suspicious on this list especially at #2 since it has 0 high-rises under construction in the SSP Database.
Also half the videos from the channel is about Atlanta skyline.

chris08876 Aug 5, 2022 4:49 PM

There's a lot of potential with Atlanta, a lot!

Its a very underrated city IMO. I was impressed when I went down there. The city feels a lot bigger than its population would make you think.

iheartthed Aug 5, 2022 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 9694785)
There's a lot of potential with Atlanta, a lot!

Its a very underrated city IMO. I was impressed when I went down there. The city feels a lot bigger than its population would make you think.

Which population? To me, it feels like it's size if you're looking at the metro population.

Steely Dan Aug 5, 2022 5:20 PM

^ as of 2020, Atlanta was the 9th largest MSA in the nation,

so yeah, it's a pretty big place now and should "feel" as such.

Quote:

Yeah, the data presented here appears to be?

A. Outdated
C. Inaccurate
B. Inconsistent
D. Incomplete
E. Bizarrely tabulated
F. All of the above

Tuckerman Aug 5, 2022 5:22 PM

Quote:

The diagram is inaccurate. At present there are around 20 highrises (over20 floors) under construction just in the midtown area and many more proposed and coming on line shortly. In the whole ATL metro there are many tall buildings under construction. Construction activity is strong in Buckhead, Perimeter, Westside and along the Beltline. Most of the rising taller buildings in Midtown are at the 30- 35 floor level, although a 61 story building seems like quite soon. Many new highrises are proposed.

homebucket Aug 5, 2022 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9694821)
^ as of 2020, Atlanta was the 9th largest MSA in the nation,

so yeah, it's a pretty big place now and should "feel" as such.

Yep. I wouldn't go by city proper. Atlanta's MSA is roughly the same population as DC, Philly, and Miami.

Labtec Aug 5, 2022 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9694839)
Yep. I wouldn't go by city proper. Atlanta's MSA is roughly the same population as DC, Philly, and Miami.

It has passed Miami, should pass Philly either this year or next, and DC by the next 2030 Census.

bobdreamz Aug 5, 2022 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labtec (Post 9695108)
It has passed Miami, should pass Philly either this year or next, and DC by the next 2030 Census.

It passed Miami but not by much. Six out of the Top 10 Metros lost population last year probably due to COVID so it maybe just an anomaly.

DCReid Aug 6, 2022 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nite (Post 9694760)

Yes Atlanta seems very suspicious on this list especially at #2 since it has 0 high-rises under construction in the SSP Database.

While Montreal is way behind Toronto, it's a great improvement from prior years!

goat314 Aug 6, 2022 1:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9694627)
I wasn't shocked by any of them. Maybe a little surprised that Atlanta was so high and Dallas was so low. Also a little surprised to see Tampa in the top 15. I would've expected to see a city like Minneapolis, Denver, or Charlotte instead.

Tampa is absolutely exploding right now. It will be largely unrecognizable in the next 5-10 years.

Dariusb Aug 6, 2022 2:03 AM

Hey guys, I just read some of the comments. Just wanted to apologize about the thread. I thought it'd be such a good topic starter that I didn't pay attention or research the info in the video. Again my apologies. So go easy on me.

Dariusb Aug 6, 2022 2:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goat314 (Post 9695316)
Tampa is absolutely exploding right now. It will be largely unrecognizable in the next 5-10 years.

I've read a lot about Tampa and it's growth or vertical development. That whole I-4 corridor is filling in especially between Tampa and Orlando.

iheartthed Aug 6, 2022 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nite (Post 9694760)

I'm a little suspicious that Toronto is building as much as NYC.