SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

CrestedSaguaro Feb 2, 2024 9:25 PM

Looks like the Seargeant-Oldaker house is back on-track to be moved. This time to a yet-to-be announced spot in Roosevelt Row. Once moved, the home will be utilized as restaurant space. The article doesn't have much info, but does state that a multi-use development is in the works for the current spot.

Can't wait to see what's announced. The lot is small at 21,000sq ft. So hopefully something taller is in the works :tup:

https://kjzz.org/content/1870089/his...sed-restaurant

ASU Diablo Feb 2, 2024 9:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 10134865)
Looks like the Seargeant-Oldaker house is back on-track to be moved. This time to a yet-to-be announced spot in Roosevelt Row. Once moved, the home will be utilized as restaurant space. The article doesn't have much info, but does state that a multi-use development is in the works for the current spot.

Can't wait to see what's announced. The lot is small at 21,000sq ft. So hopefully something taller is in the works :tup:

https://kjzz.org/content/1870089/his...sed-restaurant

Yep I had reported this a while back.

But read the article again, it’s literally being moved in the SAME parcel lol whatever they build onsite will be really skinny so may work out

PHX31 Feb 2, 2024 9:50 PM

Yeah, it's just going to be moved to a different spot on the same lot. I'd imagine it'll go to the northwest corner of the lot. Sounds pretty good to me in all honesty. Keep a nice old house basically in the same place for a restaurant space (reuse of historic houses for restaurants is always nicer with better ambience than in a sterile new development ground floor space), while allowing for the site to be developed - hopefully in a manner that lends to some height.
12-15 floors seems like it would fit in nicely with the house and the area.

azcats Feb 2, 2024 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRay (Post 10134428)
I'm in total agreement. I used to love walking past that fountain. We've learned a lot since then. With the use of shade, water recycling, and native vegetation, it shouldn't be too difficult to make a cool (AND cooling) water feature to be proud of. Phoenix was built on top of a waterscape that has been engineered long before the US existed, so it wouldn't be out of place at all.

Now that Central Station is nearing completion...a water feature...and/or fountain would look very nice in that park.

combusean Feb 2, 2024 11:00 PM

The city's not going to build a water feature when, water and environmental issues aside, they're just a nuisance and a liability when you have homeless and drug addicts downtown in pretty much any number. They closed the one in Patriots Square Park because of the same issue which has gotten *much* worse in the many years since. Granted, PSP was not a popular park nor had any semblance of security, but the issue remains. I don't see a private developer bothering for the same reason.

Besides, the parks department is already loathe or otherwise doesn't have the money to water and maintain the parks it does have to deal with. The city is so extensively pockmarked with such pathetic browning fields and spartan trees that are hardly worthy of being called parks most of the year. Parks are being closed precisely because of homeless issues like University Park and Woodland Park. It's a miracle they've kept up Civic Space Park, but I think a lot of that funding comes from ASU.

(tbf, university park is not fully closed yet but the city considers the homeless there to be quite the nuisance and are reluctant to open it back up in the day time.)

CrestedSaguaro Feb 2, 2024 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 10134883)

But read the article again, it’s literally being moved in the SAME parcel lol whatever they build onsite will be really skinny so may work out

I must've missed it. I was under the impression the home was to get moved a couple blocks west? Wasn't another location originally chosen? As for the space, the lot is a good 6,000sq ft larger than Derby's lot. So there's still potential there ;)

DesertRay Feb 2, 2024 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 10134998)
The city's not going to build a water feature when, water and environmental issues aside, they're just a nuisance and a liability when you have homeless and drug addicts downtown in pretty much any number. They closed the one in Patriots Square Park because of the same issue which has gotten *much* worse in the many years since. Granted, PSP was not a popular park nor had any semblance of security, but the issue remains. I don't see a private developer bothering for the same reason.

Besides, the parks department is already loathe or otherwise doesn't have the money to water and maintain the parks it does have to deal with. The city is so extensively pockmarked with such pathetic browning fields and spartan trees that are hardly worthy of being called parks most of the year. Parks are being closed precisely because of homeless issues like University Park and Woodland Park. It's a miracle they've kept up Civic Space Park, but I think a lot of that funding comes from ASU.

(tbf, university park is not fully closed yet but the city considers the homeless there to be quite the nuisance and are reluctant to open it back up in the day time.)

Get off your lawn? Seriously, there are lots of places that have water as a feature. I agree about the parks being taken over, but there are ways to do it that don't look like Fountain Hills. ASU just built some nice cooling streams through some of their new building landscaping, and they have lots of homeless that never bother to go there because of the design. I remember Patriot Park. Hell...I used to run around there in my young adult life before the takeover, and the large pads of grass to crash on and dark spots to do dirty deeds are the biggest issue. Hanse Park has zero fountains (minimal water spray that occasionally turns on--but I've only ever seen one homeless person trying to get water from it), and it struggles. It's the "ingest-and-crash" pieces of the puzzle keep attracting the bad actors. It's not water (and, no, you don't have to use much to have a 'feature.'

exit2lef Feb 2, 2024 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azcats (Post 10134908)
Now that Central Station is nearing completion...a water feature...and/or fountain would look very nice in that park.

There's a splash pad in Civic Space Park -- or at least there used to be. I haven't seen it running in a long time. I remember one of my children loving to splash there back when they had regularly scheduled free concerts in that space -- before it was surrendered to vagrancy.

combusean Feb 2, 2024 11:50 PM

The conversation was initially about a very large fountain, so my brain went to something on that scale.

Obviously a water feature that doesn't have a drowning or bathing potential isn't a problem.

ChaseM Feb 3, 2024 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 10135027)
The conversation was initially about a very large fountain, so my brain went to something on that scale.

Obviously a water feature that doesn't have a drowning or bathing potential isn't a problem.

Something similar to Chicago’s Crown Fountain in Millennium Park would work.

azcats Feb 3, 2024 3:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseM (Post 10135139)
Something similar to Chicago’s Crown Fountain in Millennium Park would work.

Phoenix is just as great as any other city. The city is making a statement with all the ambitions and growth of its downtown. You couldn't pay me to live in Chicago - with all its problems - and they have bigger ones than Phoenix ...including the homeless, etc. Yet, Chicago has the Buckingham Fountain - and it seems to "work." Communities need to stand up to these issues and fight them. Or, downtown Phoenix won't grow to what you want it to be.

https://i.etsystatic.com/16585631/r/...16661_4te9.jpg

ASU Diablo Feb 3, 2024 5:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 10135003)
I must've missed it. I was under the impression the home was to get moved a couple blocks west? Wasn't another location originally chosen? As for the space, the lot is a good 6,000sq ft larger than Derby's lot. So there's still potential there ;)

Yeah the original spot where the house was supposed to be relocated to was the city owned lot on 5th Ave (south of The Teapot). Metrowest Development was chosen as part of the RFP.

I guess it ended it being too expensive to move so MetroWest backed out and new developer took it over. I heard from a source who is involved that they have doubts this developer can pull it off but we shall see.

combusean Feb 3, 2024 5:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 10134883)

That lot is huge and the house is in an awkward position in the center. Moving it absolutely makes sense--anything to keep it alive. I've always been afraid of that one burning.

CrestedSaguaro Feb 6, 2024 4:16 PM

This is the old auto shop on the NE corner of Central and Garfield. Originally, the development was proposed to include elements of the shop. But it looks like this will now be a clean slate without any of the auto shop being re-used. This is the same company behind Rainbow and Manzana and they will be going for a height limit increase from 250' to 325'.

:cheers:

Quote:

Mixed-use project with 30-story tower could rise in Roosevelt Row

By Audrey Jensen – Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
Feb 6, 2024
Updated Feb 5, 2024 10:30pm MST

A national firm that has been expanding its presence in the Valley has proposed a 30-story mixed-use tower in the Roosevelt Row area of downtown Phoenix.

Florida-based Mainstreet Capital Partners wants to build a 463,198-square-foot multifamily building with amenities, retail and restaurant space at the northeast corner of Central Avenue and Garfield Street.

It will include 297 apartment units, 8,069 square feet of ground-floor market and restaurant space and 142 parking spaces along the existing Valley Metro light rail line.

Mainstreet Capital Partners did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the project.

The development will be part of a Roosevelt Row block that contains the Roosevelt Community Church, a fitness studio and lounge and a closed-down auto shop. The former auto shop building will be replaced by the new development, according to site plans submitted to the city.

The half-acre site is owned by KDCD LLC, an entity connected to Kell Duncan, co-founder of The Churchill retail center just east of the site that's made out of shipping containers.

Elsewhere in the Valley, Mainstreet Capital Partners has proposed 75 boutique apartment units at a large Camelback office complex. The project will replace an existing parking garage at the Camelback Lakes office complex at Camelback Road and 26th Street.

Mainstreet Capital Partners also acquired the LINK creative office complex along 7th Street in 2019 in Phoenix and invested $12 million in renovations to link the two buildings with a three-story glass structure that houses a coffee shop, cocktail bar and eatery, according to its website. The facility is located at 711 E. Missouri Ave.

Developer seeks to change height, density for project

The architect for the Mainstreet project in Roosevelt Row is listed in site plans as Shepley Bulfinch, which applied with the city to change the permitted height and density within a portion of downtown.

If approved, the change would increase the allowed height of buildings from 250 feet up to 325 feet, or a 30% increase, as well as an increase of up to 50% for allowed density, according to city documents. Mainstreet Capital Partners could then build a 30-story tower and increase the total number of units from 218 to 297.

The change would only be permitted in the area if a project provides community benefits and sustainable features, according to city documents. This would also allow for a transition between the area south of the site, which allows up to 525 feet, and the area north of the site, which allows up to 250 feet, the documents noted.

If approved, the height change would also apply to a larger portion of the light rail corridor between Portland and McKinley streets, and between two alleys nearby 1st Street and 2nd Avenue in downtown Phoenix.

This portion of downtown comprises a few blocks of existing and proposed projects, along with several parcels that were recently acquired by Phoenix-based developer Intersection Development.

Intersection Development is behind several projects in the area including a planned Mario Kart-inspired apartments in Roosevelt Row and the proposed Manzana boutique apartment complex in the same area.

The height changes would also apply to a site containing a portion of a 23-story apartment tower called Saiya, which is being developed by Atlanta-based Hatteras Sky and JE Dunn Construction at First Avenue and McKinley Street in Roosevelt Row.

Recently, JE Dunn celebrated the topping out of the Saiya project, which will feature 389 units and 12,550 square feet of street-level retail space.
Source: Phoenix Business Journal: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...partments.html

ASU Diablo Feb 6, 2024 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 10137412)
This is the old auto shop on the NE corner of Central and Garfield. Originally, the development was proposed to include elements of the shop. But it looks like this will now be a clean slate without any of the auto shop being re-used. This is the same company behind Rainbow and Manzana and they will be going for a height limit increase from 250' to 325'.

:cheers:

Source: Phoenix Business Journal: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...partments.html

This development company will be Mainstreet Capital Partners. Manzana/Rainbow is Intersection Development. But 325' in this area is amazing.

CrestedSaguaro Feb 6, 2024 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 10137417)
This development company will be Mainstreet Capital Partners. Manzana/Rainbow is Intersection Development. But 325' in this area is amazing.

Ah. I misread the article. Thanks for pointing it out :)

ASU Diablo Feb 6, 2024 5:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 10137460)
Ah. I misread the article. Thanks for pointing it out :)

Ah no worries. I missed it too then I had to re-read it. I got excited for a while and had hope for the Central/Roosevelt lot to see some great height there.

I guess it does directly impact this lot as well since if the zoning change goes through, that Central/Roosevelt lot can go higher than the current 250' allowed there. :cheers:

CrestedSaguaro Feb 6, 2024 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 10137476)
Ah no worries. I missed it too then I had to re-read it. I got excited for a while and had hope for the Central/Roosevelt lot to see some great height there.

I guess it does directly impact this lot as well since if the zoning change goes through, that Central/Roosevelt lot can go higher than the current 250' allowed there. :cheers:

Too bad they didn't go for this before Saiya got built. I wonder if Saiya would've been built taller if it wasn't currently capped at 250'?

I really standby that with these piecemeal height increase requests, the city needs to just look at an overall height zoning amendment to the area. This will be the 3rd request for a height increase and there's really no need for a 250' limit in the area any longer. The character of the Evans-Churchill/Roosevelt Row area has changed dramatically in the last few years.

ASU Diablo Feb 6, 2024 5:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crestedsaguaro (Post 10137487)
too bad they didn't go for this before saiya got built. I wonder if saiya would've been built taller if it wasn't currently capped at 250'?

I really standby that with these piecemeal height increase requests, the city needs to just look at an overall height zoning amendment to the area. This will be the 3rd request for a height increase and there's really no need for a 250' limit in the area any longer. The character of the evans-churchill/roosevelt row area has changed dramatically in the last few years.

combusean Feb 6, 2024 5:36 PM

The density limits have especially been problematic for downtown and are the epitome of bad planning when literally everything has to be spot zoned. They need to be dropped entirely.