SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

combusean Oct 11, 2009 12:56 AM

Nobody here really represents the Biltmore. They built (are building?) the 10 or 12 story office tower on 24th st and I think I saw one picture of it. The massive PCH gets a nod very rarely.

BTW, from what i saw of it, the apartment building on 16th st is fucking awful at ground level.

Vicelord John Oct 11, 2009 1:05 AM

It didn't look too awful to me, but it did look out of place. I'm whole-heartedly surprised we didn't hear about NIMBYs in the newspaper about this.

HooverDam Oct 11, 2009 10:34 PM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...useum1009.html

Quote:

Arizona Science Center gains museum's assets
Pact also allows center to operate Phoenix Museum of History building
5 comments by Kathleen Gormley - Oct. 9, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
The Arizona Science Center has acquired the assets of the Phoenix Museum of History under a new operating agreement that also gives it the right to occupy the museum's building.

The Phoenix Museum of History, 105 N. Fifth St., closed its doors June 30 because of financial problems.

The science center, 600 E. Washington St., has agreed to provide at least 5,400 square feet of space dedicated to Phoenix history in one of the two buildings, city officials said. The history museum totals 20,000 square feet.

The Phoenix City Council approved the agreement Wednesday in which the science center will operate both buildings. The city owns the buildings and is responsible for maintenance of them.

The museums pay rent to the city to occupy the buildings.

"This is not a merger," said Ruth Osuna, deputy city manager. "It is a transfer of assets of the Museum of History to the science center."

The museum, which has been looking for a financial partner, contacted the Arizona Science Center about a partnership "about 17 or 18 months ago," said Chevy Humphrey, president and CEO of the science center.

Kristin Priscella, science center senior director of communications, said the science center is "working on a plan to catalogue the artifacts that were part of the history museum's asset acquisition."

She said a reopening date for the history section is to be determined.

The Phoenix Museum of History name will stay on the building for now, Osuna said.

Humphrey said that in the future, the museum name could include a tagline referencing its relationship with the science center.

City officials expressed approval of the new relationship.

"I thought this was in the best interests of residents. It is a way to preserve Phoenix's history and original content of the museum," Osuna said.

The science center and the museum worked closely together and "there will be a continued relationship between the two organizations," she said, adding that the history museum's board of directors will continue to exist.

The city of Phoenix reimburses the science center for 50 percent of its utility costs for the science-center building.

The city's Parks and Recreation department budgeted $185,000 in fiscal 2009-10 for these costs, according to city documents.

Humphrey said she doesn't anticipate a problem funding utilities for the second building.

"I think it was a win-win for everybody," Osuna said.
Welp its good that the history museum isnt going away entirely. It was never a very impressive museum to begin with and now itll be even less so it sounds like, but I suppose its better than nothing.

PhxPavilion Oct 12, 2009 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 4500178)
Nobody here really represents the Biltmore. They built (are building?) the 10 or 12 story office tower on 24th st and I think I saw one picture of it. The massive PCH gets a nod very rarely.

The PCH is right around the corner from me, I'll try and take some new shots but my camera sucks so don't expect much.

HX_Guy Oct 13, 2009 12:18 AM

They are doing something around Chase tower's moat. I wish they would know down the damn fortress walls.

http://nitnelav.com/DTOct122009/16.jpg

gymratmanaz Oct 13, 2009 12:20 AM

I forgot to tell you HX...they will be redoing all the landscaping. No word on whether they will remove the moat walls. I hope they do!!!!!!!!

Vicelord John Oct 13, 2009 1:51 AM

Tear down this wall!!!

Leo the Dog Oct 13, 2009 1:56 PM

^^^ thank you Ron.

Gump Oct 14, 2009 3:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4496648)
which is exactly what I received.

John,

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting our office with your concerns. I will forward your traffic related issue to Downtown Operations, they will be of further assistance in giving you a final answer to the reasons why the practice is maintained. In regards to the traffic flow issue, the city will maintain its standard in getting individuals out of downtown as quickly as possible after major sporting and other events. By doing this, the city allows the traffic flow exiting the venues access towards the freeways, which will help to get traffic flow back to the normal. If this did not occur, the streets would be grid locked, which may cause accidents and further delays for residents and patrons.

The barricade process helps to move things quickly in order to return to a normal traffic pattern. We apologize for any inconvenience, however, the practice is necessary in giving valley residents adequate access to the major freeways. Most of these individuals choose to go straight home after the events and not hang out in Downtown, due to personal choice. I hope this helps and contact me if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Stephen Vital
City of Phoenix, District 8
602-262-4832

And my response I just sent:

Stephen,

My point, which I think you missed, is that years ago when this practice was put in place, there were not a significant number of downtown residents. Now that there are a lot of people living in the city, this has become a measure which is based on a decade old policy and needs to be drastically revised. It is making a bold assumption that nobody will be displaced by it, when in fact many of us are.

It’s too bad that there are no individuals who take this complaint (which I’m sure your office has heard before) seriously and gives the quick brush off to anyone whom detests it enough to write on the matter.

-John

A meeting was held several months ago with the City of Phoenix, Dept. of Streets, Police, and Downtown Phoenix Partnership. At that time, the City agreed to modify the way they moved people out of the Stadiums. Despite that commitment, nothing has changed.

It was pointed out at the meeting that other Cities have ballparks, but they do not shut down traffic throughout the City when the games ended. However, there was great concern that people might jaywalk, and then be struck by cars if the City of Phoenix did not continue with their "sunburst evacuation" plan.

Until we get some people in the government that have actually spent time in a real downtown, we may be stuck with such ridiculous positions.

SunDevil Oct 14, 2009 4:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gump (Post 4504208)
A meeting was held several months ago with the City of Phoenix, Dept. of Streets, Police, and Downtown Phoenix Partnership. At that time, the City agreed to modify the way they moved people out of the Stadiums. Despite that commitment, nothing has changed.

It was pointed out at the meeting that other Cities have ballparks, but they do not shut down traffic throughout the City when the games ended. However, there was great concern that people might jaywalk, and then be struck by cars if the City of Phoenix did not continue with their "sunburst evacuation" plan.

Until we get some people in the government that have actually spent time in a real downtown, we may be stuck with such ridiculous positions.

That's just, I don't know what to say! Couldn't some one as still get struck by a car under their current plan? Better tell the Suns and D'backs to close up shop, some one my get hit by a car while jaywalking after the game. That is the worst and dumbest excuse I've ever heard and I've heard, "I'm too lazy to do it."

Leo the Dog Oct 14, 2009 1:45 PM

I think the city should be worried about ushering intoxicated fans out of DT immediately.

combusean Oct 14, 2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4500194)
It didn't look too awful to me, but it did look out of place. I'm whole-heartedly surprised we didn't hear about NIMBYs in the newspaper about this.

I don't think the NIMBY's give much of a rat's ass about the neighborhoods west of 16th. That was the suggestion I heard many times about their height fight in 2006.

HooverDam Oct 15, 2009 5:49 AM

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...land-dedicated

Quote:

Third Friday: A.E. England Gets Dedicated
Posted by Si Robins on 10/14/09

It’s Third Friday this week, and yeah, it’s going to be 100º again (really?!), but at least the nights are cool. What better way to wind down a hectic week than taking in a chill dedication of a historic building? The A.E. England building in Civic Space Park, already known as “ye ole motor building,” or “the building that houses Fair Trade Café 2.0,” or just “the building with the park amphitheater attached,” is officially getting its dedication on, and there will be art, coffee, some tunes and some balmy mid-80s lows.

Seeing as how it is Third Friday, there will be a number of cultural exhibits, including a rad collection of vintage cars; and a collection of artwork that honors Phoenix’s past, present and future. (Personally, we’re pretty excited to see crazy artistic interpretations of Phoenix in 2075.) As part of the dedication, the unveiling of A.E. England’s Artlink gallery will feature “For the Love of Money,” a collection of work by local mixed-media artist Siri Khandavilli. Other galleries will have art on display throughout the park.

After witnessing the dedication ceremony and strolling through the gallery, open up your picnic dinner, spread out the blanket, and groove to the sweet tunes of the Sugar Thieves, who will be rocking the park stage.

Luke Skyscraper Oct 15, 2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 4505921)

Hoover,
Let us know if the futuristic artwork shows Chase tower as still the tallest building in Phoenix in 2075.......

dtnphx Oct 15, 2009 5:28 PM

And it could be a good forum to catch the ear of any parks department people who may be there to ask them to turn up the lights on Her Secret is Patience. I just added my two cents worth with the parks department. Drove by it last night and heading south on First Ave, you can barely see it unless you are right on top of it. Should have been called, Her Aversion to Brightness.

dtnphx Oct 15, 2009 8:04 PM

Also, The Phoenix City Council is ready to approve the design contract on the Third St. Promenade. A subcommitte approved the funding, but that hasn't been sourced yet. Talking about the area from Indian School to McDowell. Downtown Phoenix Partnership has also been asked to weigh in on the portion south of McDowell.

Kinda cool.

Vicelord John Oct 17, 2009 1:07 AM

Like I didn't fucking see this coming...

Tall buildings plan pulled back for Central and Camelback
5 commentsby Michael Clancy - Oct. 16, 2009 02:37 PM
The Arizona Republic
A Phoenix developer has pulled back from seeking approval for a project that would have included some of the tallest buildings in Phoenix.

Reid Butler submitted plans for the southwestern corner of Central Avenue and Camelback Road in May 2008, but the plans immediately ran into nearly unanimous opposition from the area's historic neighborhoods and the city councilmen who represent them.

Butler wanted to put up three buildings holding offices, a hotel and condos, topping out at 400 feet. The Chase Tower and US Bank Center in downtown Phoenix are the only buildings in the state that are that tall. The Qwest Tower at Thomas Road and Central falls just short.
What the project might have had going for it is its location at the north end of Phoenix's Central Avenue business area, and its inclusion of a light-rail station at a point where the tracks change direction.

But Butler never reached a point where he could argue those points before any official body.

Butler did not return a phone call, but in a letter to Councilmen Tom Simplot and Sal DiCiccio, Butler said he was responding to requests from both council members to discontinue the project. DiCiccio made his request publicly, while Simplot handled it personally. The corner is in Simplot's district.

But in the same letter, Butler says, "We continue to believe that significant density located directly on the light rail line, particularly at this unique property, would be of great benefit to the city."

Butler said he had worked closely with neighborhood organizations and residents, and believed he had the support of many of them. The project would develop "positive interaction and strong connections" between it and the neighborhoods, he argued.

"We continue to believe that a highly integrated project will create the best result for the adjacent neighborhoods," Butler wrote. "However, we now understand we have not done enough work on our project and with the neighborhoods to proceed with our 400-foot height request."

The property already is entitled to 250 feet of height. The tallest building on Central north of the Grand Canal, which cuts through north of Central High School, is an apartment building that is a little over 200 feet tall.

combusean Oct 17, 2009 1:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 4506799)
Also, The Phoenix City Council is ready to approve the design contract on the Third St. Promenade. A subcommitte approved the funding, but that hasn't been sourced yet. Talking about the area from Indian School to McDowell. Downtown Phoenix Partnership has also been asked to weigh in on the portion south of McDowell.

Kinda cool.

Less design.

More build.

When resources are scarce to implement what we have designed (urban form), the last thing we need to do is go out and design more (3rd st).

Not saying the two can't coexist and whatnot but the amount of talk, study, and design we do around here with little action is pretty ridiculous.

And ... oh yeah, wtf should we trust the DPP to make 3rd st look good when their present domain is concrete ramshackle wasteland?

I didn't see the Central and Camelback project dead this early. I thought Reid woulda gone to council with a staff report in his favor.

Vicelord John Oct 17, 2009 2:14 AM

The DPP is a bunch of fucking idiots. The one I met at the light rail meetings was a toolbag, who was spewing things that weren't even true.

Leo the Dog Oct 17, 2009 11:59 AM

The Fish Market on Camelback and the 51 is closed. From what I understand, that has been there since the late 80's. I drove by it the other day and noticed new signage. I don't know if they changed their name and colors or if a new Seafood restaurant opened up.

Vicelord John Oct 17, 2009 4:48 PM

It closed september 1, and bluewater grill is in its place. Where have you been??

Don B. Oct 19, 2009 2:49 PM

Took an out of town guest from Atlanta through downtown Phoenix in the convertible yesterday on the way to South Mountain, and her comment was "this is your downtown?" "We have a long ways to go, Virginia," was my response.

In real news, the last First Friday we had on 10/2 was amazing. It was bigger than I ever recall it before. Many more vendors, a live stage, and tons of people. If you were there, I would have been hard to miss: I was wearing 5" platform boots amongst other things. :D

--don

azliam Oct 19, 2009 8:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 4509370)
The Fish Market on Camelback and the 51 is closed. From what I understand, that has been there since the late 80's. I drove by it the other day and noticed new signage. I don't know if they changed their name and colors or if a new Seafood restaurant opened up.

Thanks for the info. I'd only eaten there once, but I've been to the one in San Diego many times.

Leo the Dog Oct 20, 2009 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4509565)
It closed september 1, and bluewater grill is in its place. Where have you been??

Yeah a lil late, I only noticed because I saw the new signage going up and had no idea it had closed weeks prior.

gymratmanaz Oct 21, 2009 1:41 AM

Civic Space Park - looks like they have the north extension of the park fenced off - the part that blends into the old post office. I wonder if they really are going to do that extension before the end of the year. That would be awesome!

HX_Guy Oct 23, 2009 6:00 PM

Dining in the Streets set for Nov. 17 in downtown Phoenix
Phoenix Business Journal

Local chefs, restaurants, bands and businesses will hit the streets of downtown Phoenix on Nov. 17 to highlight what the city’s central core has to offer.

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon will kick off Dining in the Streets at the CityScape project at Central Avenue and Washington Street. The project is under construction, with some tenants expected to open in March.

The event -- the sixth annual celebration of downtown -- will run from 5 to 8:30 p.m. It is free and open to the public.

Vicelord John Oct 25, 2009 5:00 PM

I never realized that the string of empty lots between roosevelt row and CBD are all owned by the city and will not be developed until the biomedical campus is expanded...

They are going to "beautify" the streetscapes because of complaints from people staying at the Sheraton feeling scared while walking around. That explains the rezoning sign up at like third street and garfield? Not that it would be any better if they were privately owned, but it sounds like they are going to stay empty for a looooong time.

Also, I keep seeing a tower crane from the 51. I would guess that it is located around 16th and Osborn... is this for the hospice offices?

Jsmscaleros Oct 26, 2009 3:27 AM

I am involved in a project that is proposing temporary infill on those lots (between Roosevelt and Fillmore). We have a meeting with city officials and stakeholders scheduled in December. If the event is made public, I'll surely post the time/place here. There's not a whole lot we have to work with here, but there is certainly a large community backing for this temporary project. I'm a realist, but relatively optimistic that something can be achieved :tup:

HooverDam Oct 26, 2009 3:46 AM

^Obviously Im not sure what your group is proposing as far as 'temporary infill' is concerned but I for one would be thrilled with green space. Citrus groves, park space, community gardens, desert gardens, etc would all be high on my list. Stuff that will cool the neighborhood, beautify it, have a use, but also be easily replaceable when it comes time to build the medical facilities.

EDIT: VV I know it probably would make the skin crawl of the generally left leaning downtown population but Id be all for corporate sponsorships/ads if it helped made something like this possible. Though in this economy Im not sure how much corporations would be willing to spend. But if we fill an empty lot with an orange grove and its the "Fresh & Easy Citrus Grove" or whatever Id be A-ok w/ that.

Jsmscaleros Oct 26, 2009 4:15 AM

You said it - there are a host of issues we're dealing with, however, including brown-field concerns, liability, security, lack of funds, etc...

The problem is not so much that there is a lack of great ideas for these lots - the uses you suggest are all fantastic - it is coming up with a way of dismantling the obstacles that will allow them to materialize. First and foremost, naturally, is $$$.

PhxPavilion Oct 26, 2009 9:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4522875)
Also, I keep seeing a tower crane from the 51. I would guess that it is located around 16th and Osborn... is this for the hospice offices?

Yup.

glynnjamin Oct 26, 2009 2:47 PM

I've noticed some changes at the Chateau on Central over the past week. The locks have been changed on the gate, one sign came down, another sign came up...and there is a number to call about buying one of the units. Has anything happened with Mortgages Ltd?

Also, did anyone see that the city will be selling back the properties it aquired during the LRT construction on Central & Camelback. They have 10 properties (mostly historic houses) just south of the LRT station that are going up for auction. I know which one I'll be making a bid on...

Don B. Oct 26, 2009 7:50 PM

Condos in central Phoenix that were selling for $185,000 pre-crash are now foreclosing for as little as $27,000. That's so far below the actual cost of construction that it will be many years before Phoenix starts to see any real new development. Perhaps three years, or five, or longer. No one really knows right now, but our economy is broken if real estate has declined 80% from the 2005 peak.

--don

PHX31 Oct 26, 2009 8:34 PM

/\ Where and how much are the HOA fees?

admdavid Oct 26, 2009 11:24 PM

^^^Yeah, no kidding! I have that in cash right now I could buy outright!

HX_Guy Oct 27, 2009 6:35 PM

Hmm...

Quote:

Pursuant to A.R.S. Section 38-431.02, notice is hereby given to the members of the site plan review team and to the general public, that the SITE PLAN REVIEW TEAM will hold a meeting open to the public on Tuesday, October 27, 2009, at 9:30 a.m. located in Room 1 West, First Floor, Phoenix City Hall, 200 West Washington, Phoenix, Arizona.

The agenda for the meeting is as follows:

Review of Preliminary Site Plan 99-3515

A development zoned C-2 and located at the Northeast corner of 2nd Street & Roosevelt Street. The project name is RO2 Residential -2nd & Roosevelt.
And this is the project...

Quote:

Permit# PAPP-0901907 Issue Date 8/6/09 Expires 8/6/10
Permit Description RO2 RESIDENTIAL
Project 09-3515 RO2 RESIDENTIAL

PROJECT DESCRIPTION: 250' MIXED USE TOWER WITH RETAIL, RESIDENTIAL AND ABOVE GRADE PARKING

Pre-application 09-3515 PAPP 0901907 SDEV 0900387
RO2 STUDENT HOUSING
250' Mixed Use With Student Housing and Private Amenities
NEC of 2nd St and Roosevelt St
Exist:C-2, .58 acres
QS 11-32, C-1, District 8

This is on the NEC of 2nd and Roosevelt where that weird sunk-in-the-ground pyramid looking building that burned down was. Could it actually be something solid seeing how they are looking for permits in this market?

plinko Oct 27, 2009 6:45 PM

^If it's student housing I wonder if it's getting any sort of state subsidies or something? Still, given the project type and location, it actually makes some sense if they've got the $$$. Construction is cheap right now.

scottkag Oct 27, 2009 7:43 PM

So are we talking about an off campus dorm here? Interesting...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 4526789)
Hmm...

And this is the project...

This is on the NEC of 2nd and Roosevelt where that weird sunk-in-the-ground pyramid looking building that burned down was. Could it actually be something solid seeing how they are looking for permits in this market?

gymratmanaz Oct 27, 2009 8:27 PM

That is exciting!!!!!!!

HooverDam Oct 27, 2009 9:38 PM

I certainly hope something nice goes there, that is a key spot for connecting the nice areas of Roosevelt from Central to 7th, with the arts district on East Roosevelt.

EDIT: I went by the Phx Biomedical Plaza I think its going to be called their on 7th/Van Buren, has anyone heard anything about this lately? Any new permits? It would be nice to get small stuff like that rolling during the down economy if at all possible. I thought it was all funded and ready to go but it seems like its been sitting there fenced off for a long while.

kaneui Oct 28, 2009 6:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 4527177)
EDIT: I went by the Phx Biomedical Plaza I think its going to be called their on 7th/Van Buren, has anyone heard anything about this lately? Any new permits? It would be nice to get small stuff like that rolling during the down economy if at all possible. I thought it was all funded and ready to go but it seems like its been sitting there fenced off for a long while.

The next project at the Phoenix Biomedical Campus will be the 265,000 s.f. Health Sciences Education Building, currently in design phase but scheduled to begin construction in February:

http://www.fdc.arizona.edu/projects/...roject=09-8900

A site plan can be seen on the last page of this section of ABOR's Sept. agenda:

http://www.abor.asu.edu/1_the_regent...06-2009-09.pdf

HooverDam Oct 28, 2009 6:27 AM

^Thanks for that, its neat. The shape of the building from that drawing looks like it might be something a bit different and kind of interesting. I wonder how tall it will be- probably about the same size as the TGEN building Id assume.

But that wasn't the site I was referring to, I meant the lot on the NE corner where there's currently a small stucco-ish building and a lot fronting 7th St.

Don B. Oct 28, 2009 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 4524981)
/\ Where and how much are the HOA fees?

Near 16th Street and Glendale...I think the HOA fees are $100 per month or so. I pay $575 per month rent and that includes all utilities and the HOA.

--don

Leo the Dog Oct 28, 2009 3:14 PM

Hopefully the student housing development on 2nd st. is similar to the recent construction along apache blvd in Tempe.

Vicelord John Oct 28, 2009 3:36 PM

why?

So it can look like prison walls? from the street. That student housing on Apache, while very dense, looks like Belladonna's ass hole after a black gang bang.

PHX31 Oct 28, 2009 4:00 PM

I noticed a city sign (maybe rezoning sign or use permit sign) on the NWC of Fillmore and 2nd Avenue... the lot that was recently paved for parking. Has anyone read it or know what it is for (glynnjamin?)?

HX_Guy Oct 28, 2009 4:16 PM

I think it's for parking...again. To extend the time they can use it as a parking lot or something like that.

glynnjamin Oct 28, 2009 4:26 PM

Basically what happened with that lot (2nd & Fillmore) is this -

The city leased it to ASU for a parking lot under the pretense that they landscape the hell out of it. ASU came in, leveled it and paved it and turned it into a parking lot. What they didn't do was bother to landscape it. So our (Lofts at Fillmore) HOA filed a protest with the city. That intersection is prone to flooding and, as a result, the lower units in our building can get water damage. Because of this, our HOA was concerned about the non-permeable pavement creating more runoff into the street. The city, reacting to the protest (and ASU's inability to follow guidelines), denied them use of the parking lot. As of right now, it is just an open lot that anyone can use for free. The hearing is about a variance so that they can avoid putting in landscaping. We have our lawyer ready to go fight it.

All of this makes it sound like I care. Really, I don't. But that's what's going on with it.

Leo the Dog Oct 28, 2009 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4528292)
why?

So it can look like prison walls? from the street. That student housing on Apache, while very dense, looks like Belladonna's ass hole after a black gang bang.

Have you noticed the added pedestrian activities along Apache? The once blighted areas (much like 2nd/Roosevelt) have become safe and pedestrian friendly. It could only aid the small business in this area. Close to the deck park, perhaps people other than the homeless would enjoy the park.

Vicelord John Oct 28, 2009 4:49 PM

really? the area is safe? I've ridden my bike on that stretch of apache several times, and on one ocassion a drunk kid tried to chase me and said he was going to take it. Another time we were watching drunk kids crossing the road in front of cars and it was generally (especially with the look of the buildings) a feeling that I was in a chaotic third world country.

They look like tenenments, and the people around there are barbaric, idiot kids.