SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Post Office Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192697)

the urban politician Sep 7, 2019 2:01 AM

Not only what you all are saying, but I’m just glad it’s getting a complete reno. We can’t lose structures like this. OPO, Cook County Hospital—major successes.

Now we just need to see the Congress and Uptown Theatre rehabs come to fruition.

LouisVanDerWright Sep 7, 2019 3:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 8680139)
Guess we will start calling you Nostradamus :haha:

Until he starts predicting supertall designs with napkin sketches I'm the only Nostradamus around here ..

pilsenarch Sep 8, 2019 4:04 PM

^remember to give credit to the detailed description... ;)

MorganChi Sep 9, 2019 3:11 PM

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...w5q-story.html

bnk Sep 9, 2019 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorganChi (Post 8681787)

Uber’s new space will be as big as 24 football fields and spread over two floors. It’s the largest lease signed in the building that sat vacant for years but is quickly filling up amid an $800 million-plus redevelopment by New York-based developer 601W Cos.



“When we saw the level of talent we could attract here — people here work hard, they’re thankful for their jobs, they have this kind of Midwestern work ethic that flows through the offices — that really encouraged us to say OK, you know what, let’s double down on Chicago and let’s double down in a way that makes a statement. That it’s not just operations, it’s tech.” Khosrowshahi said.

marothisu Sep 9, 2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnk (Post 8682210)
Uber’s new space will be as big as 24 football fields and spread over two floors. It’s the largest lease signed in the building that sat vacant for years but is quickly filling up amid an $800 million-plus redevelopment by New York-based developer 601W Cos.

A football field is 57,600 square feet - so 463,000 square feet is the size of
8 football fields. Their math is a bit off.

Quote:

“When we saw the level of talent we could attract here — people here work hard, they’re thankful for their jobs, they have this kind of Midwestern work ethic that flows through the offices — that really encouraged us to say OK, you know what, let’s double down on Chicago and let’s double down in a way that makes a statement. That it’s not just operations, it’s tech.” Khosrowshahi said.

Well yeah of course. There's a good number of people from the midwest or people who went to college in the midwest who are in the Bay Area working in tech too. That makes some sense. Also, people like to get shit done and take pride in their work in the midwest I find.

Good that companies like Uber realize it for things like tech. Hopefully they pay well which will be good for other companies in the city as it could force them to pay even more with that many new tech hires.

lakeshoredrive Sep 10, 2019 1:41 AM

Uber and other signed tenants should advocate to the city and CTA for a pedway connection from the building to the Clinton st station.

SIGSEGV Sep 10, 2019 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive (Post 8682488)
Uber and other signed tenants should advocate to the city and CTA for a pedway connection from the building to the Clinton st station.

Wouldn't that be ironic...

SIGSEGV Sep 10, 2019 7:55 PM

I'm going to assume like 90% of this forum will be here:

https://openhousechicago.org/sites/s...o-post-office/

Jim in Chicago Sep 11, 2019 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8683276)
I'm going to assume like 90% of this forum will be here:

https://openhousechicago.org/sites/s...o-post-office/

Probably not. it's still just the lobby that we all saw last year.

Handro Sep 11, 2019 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago (Post 8684145)
Probably not. it's still just the lobby that we all saw last year.

I missed it last year and was planning to go this year... is it worth the trip if you missed last year?

Suburban Shadow Sep 11, 2019 7:00 PM

When are tenants supposed to start moving in?

gebs Sep 11, 2019 7:13 PM

A Tribune article from April reported that the first tenants would begin moving in by September. So, unless there have been unpublished delays, any minute now?

BVictor1 Sep 17, 2019 4:25 PM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ld-post-office

September 17, 2019 10:33 AM UPDATED 23 MINUTES AGO

Cboe confirms HQ move to Old Post Office
The parent company of the Chicago Board Options Exchange also is moving its trading floor to the CBOT Building.

CRAIN'S STAFF

Quote:

Cboe Global Markets announced today it will move its headquarters to the Old Post Office and move its trading floor to the CBOT Building.

The company said it signed a 15-year lease, with an option for a five-year renewal, for about 185,000 square feet in the Old Post Office building at 433 W. Van Buren St. Crain's had previously reported that a deal to move the HQ to the Old Post Office was close.

Cboe also said it would move its trading floor to the CBOT Building at 141 W. Jackson, signing a 12-year lease there for about 40,000 square feet of office and trading floor space. The company said it plans to sell its current building, 400 S. LaSalle St.

Busy Bee Sep 24, 2019 1:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stockerzzz (Post 8696462)

They need all that space to store their worthless stock certificates.

Busy Bee Sep 24, 2019 1:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stockerzzz (Post 8696462)

Wow, stunning. It's like our very own Reichs Chancellery.

Jim in Chicago Sep 24, 2019 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 8696484)
They need all that space to store their worthless stock certificates.

Not to mention the piles of money that they're raking in by abusing the drivers.

Jim in Chicago Sep 24, 2019 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 8696485)
Wow, stunning. It's like our very own Reichs Chancellery.

Kind of, but this was built back in the days when things like Post Offices were built to impress - along with other government projects like Hoover Dam - who would ever image something as utilitarian as a dam with terrazzo floors, amazing metal work etc.

My favorite example is the old post office in Singapore - built in the British colonial era, it screams "we're Britain, and you're not." Now a hotel, it is still awesome.

the urban politician Sep 24, 2019 3:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago (Post 8696602)
My favorite example is the old post office in Singapore - built in the British colonial era, it screams "we're Britain, and you're not." Now a hotel, it is still awesome.

^ Funny you don't notice the irony of saying this, yet also pointing out the below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago (Post 8696600)
Not to mention the piles of money that they're raking in by abusing the drivers.

Do ya think the British just created their wealth out of thin air? I think a lot of people got "abused" (more like murdered...cough cough) in order to plunder the wealth to build these so-called great "we are British" buildings

Baronvonellis Sep 24, 2019 3:21 PM

Heck even the Post Office in Uptown was built in the middle of WW2, has huge carved granite eagles in front of the building, and huge murals painted inside.

It just goes back to the culture at that time, that people and buildings should "dress to impress" while in public.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.