SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Essex on the Park | 607 FT | 56 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225358)

r18tdi Mar 8, 2019 10:02 PM

View from the top, via Curbed.
Neat to see the Michigan Avenue streetwall from the middle, usually it's from either the north or south end.
Kinda makes me want to put on a suit and monocle bluff my way into touring the penthouse unit!
Also, time to move this one out of U/C?

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Z0ph...m_iOS__53_.jpg

jc5680 Mar 8, 2019 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronWright (Post 8499115)
River North's biggest issue besides the podiums and the Mc'Donald's, Rain Forest Cafe, BP, Hard-Rock, Walgreens, Portillo's, Ohio House etc. etc. suburban super blocks is there is little height/depth/density, especially west of State. Way too many surface lots, underutilized sites, low-rise housing and single story structures. The east/west corridors are wide open, more skyscrapers need to fill in these blocks to grow the core west and north. There's is a definite significant drop off in scale.

Spectacular example of the comments I mentioned :tup:

LouisVanDerWright Mar 9, 2019 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 8499753)
View from the top, via Curbed.
Neat to see the Michigan Avenue streetwall from the middle, usually it's from either the north or south end.
Kinda makes me want to put on a suit and monocle bluff my way into touring the penthouse unit!
Also, time to move this one out of U/C?

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Z0ph...m_iOS__53_.jpg

The thing I like most about this view is that you can see pretty much the entire ancient skyscraper CBD of Chicago and how well preserved it is. The area along Dearborn, Federal, State, Wabash, and Michigan between Congress and Randolph is absolutely amazing.

BonoboZill4 Mar 9, 2019 4:48 AM

That view is intoxicating. I second the move for a covert monocle and pipe trip to the top.

maru2501 Mar 9, 2019 2:59 PM

I'd rather a lot of river north get jumped and have height west and northwest of it.

we need a vibrant lowrise area downtown for clubs and restaurants. We don't need 20 more glass encased parking garage bases that are dead at 930 pm

10023 Mar 9, 2019 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 8500300)
I'd rather a lot of river north get jumped and have height west and northwest of it.

we need a vibrant lowrise area downtown for clubs and restaurants. We don't need 20 more glass encased parking garage bases that are dead at 930 pm

Chicago just really needs to ban the parking garage bases.

If that means new housing is much more expensive, so be it. If that means there is much less new development of any kind, so be it. But they are ruining parts of the city.

KWillChicago Mar 9, 2019 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8500110)
That view is intoxicating. I second the move for a covert monocle and pipe trip to the top.

Anyone know the prices of the full floor penthouses here. They gotta be starting around $8/$9 figuring thats what legacy started at... at that height. So for rents i guess that would be like $30,000 a month?

Bombardier Mar 9, 2019 6:37 PM

^Monthly rent starts at $11,500 for the penthouses, which are 2,100 to 2,385 square feet and have four bedrooms.

Per Crains article:
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...oes-apartments

SIGSEGV Mar 9, 2019 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8500380)
Chicago just really needs to ban the parking garage bases.

If that means new housing is much more expensive, so be it. If that means there is much less new development of any kind, so be it. But they are ruining parts of the city.

Can probably get away with just banning them in the core (East of Halsted, south of Chicago, north of Roosevelt).

spyguy Mar 9, 2019 8:22 PM

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7841/...9d84cf3a_b.jpgDSC_5777 by BartShore, on Flickr

BonoboZill4 Mar 9, 2019 9:02 PM

^

Calling it right now... that picture will be unrecognizable in 25 years. All those lots between Wabash and Dearborn will have big towers by then

sammyg Mar 15, 2019 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8500380)
Chicago just really needs to ban the parking garage bases.

If that means new housing is much more expensive, so be it. If that means there is much less new development of any kind, so be it. But they are ruining parts of the city.

Wouldn't housing be cheaper since the developers wouldn't need to waste money on huge bases?

gandalf612 Mar 15, 2019 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 8506862)
Wouldn't housing be cheaper since the developers wouldn't need to waste money on huge bases?

From my understanding building taller and/or digging is more expensive than making the first several levels wider.

harryc Mar 15, 2019 10:13 PM

March 10


BonoboZill4 Mar 15, 2019 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gandalf612 (Post 8506870)
From my understanding building taller and/or digging is more expensive than making the first several levels wider.

This is correct. Going underground is extremely expensive and time consuming

sammyg Mar 18, 2019 4:16 PM

I've started seeing ads for apartments at the Essex, when will residents start moving in?

gandalf612 Mar 18, 2019 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 8509588)
I've started seeing ads for apartments at the Essex, when will residents start moving in?

Pretty sure they already have

BonoboZill4 Mar 21, 2019 11:27 PM

https://i.imgur.com/UMZSTE8.jpg

Bow down to the greatest street wall in the world :)

r18tdi Mar 22, 2019 2:35 PM

Kamin: "A tall order of metal and glass 'meh'"
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...321-story.html

ouch!

Skyguy_7 Mar 22, 2019 2:49 PM

^Kamin = a pompous, elitist clown. His job as a critic is obviously to complain about EVERYTHING and I just hate complainers. The laymen are grateful for this nice addition to the greatest streetwall in the world!


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.