SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Photography (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Getting To Know Your Skyscraperpage Photographers (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181003)

volguus zildrohar Jun 24, 2010 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flar (Post 4872625)
We've come to expect interesting images with absolutely top-notch technical proficiency from Flash. Definitely one of the very best photographers posting on SSP.

Absolutely. I'll second KCGridlock as well.

ue Jun 24, 2010 4:30 AM

So where's KCGridlock?

I checked his/her profile to see when he/she was last on, over a month ago...

Ayreonaut Jun 24, 2010 4:48 AM

He pretty much only comes on to post threads, then takes off again. I think we should do another one until he returns, because that may well be several more months away.

ue Jun 24, 2010 5:19 AM

yep, mind as well keep the flow going until he comes back on and then do his interview.

dktshb Jun 27, 2010 5:30 PM

How about giallo or Kilgore Trout???

xzmattzx Jun 28, 2010 12:29 AM

I just went in this thread for the first time and I like the idea of interviewing the best photographers on here. It's nice to find out what the photographers thought were their best works and what responses surprised them.

HomeInMyShoes Jul 1, 2010 12:47 PM

I'll try to get KevinFromTexas or flar to fire off a regular email for KCGridlock.

diskojoe Jul 1, 2010 2:37 PM

You should ask I am hydrogen. hes a regular and would send back comments to you. plus his hdr's are some of the best out there.

ue Jul 2, 2010 3:31 PM

Or maybe we could just get Flash to pick again considering it was his choice?

diskojoe Jul 5, 2010 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast (Post 4898296)
Or maybe we could just get Flash to pick again considering it was his choice?

good call on that.

HomeInMyShoes Jul 27, 2010 12:36 PM

Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

What are you shooting with and what would you like to shoot with?
I use a Canon 450D. It's light and easy to take around. I'd really like some more lenses, though -- at the moment I'm still using the kit lens, along with a 50mm f1.8, because I can't decide on what kind of lens I should buy next. I'd like an ultra-wide angle but also some fast prime lenses.

If you could sum up your style in one photograph what photo would it be?
I couldn't possibly do that. It's better if you take a look at one of my threads, like my most recent Hong Kong one.

Talk about your inspirations and influences.
I'm inspired by the relationship between people and the city -- all the little things that make the city more than a collection of roads and buildings. I'm especially taken by markets, street art, informal development like hawker stalls, shantytowns, etc., signage and people riding bikes or scooters.

I always have a hard time describing my influences because I've never studied photography and I take photos according to what feels right to me. I like Cartier-Bresson, but he put too much emphasis on beauty and composition while overlooking street photography's capacity for satire and criticism. I like Michael Wolf's photos of Hong Kong but I find that he has a tendency to see the city as a machine and its inhabitants as cogs in the wheel, which I don't appreciate.

Where have you not been that you want to photograph?
Istanbul, Cairo and Buenos Aires are three cities that I would love to photograph. I like cities that are big and messy.

Talk about your most popular (in your opinion) photothreads.
My Montreal threads from 2006 to 2008 were always very popular. My European series in 2006 got a good response. My recent Shenzhen thread was surprisingly well-received.

Talk about your photothreads that didn't get the response you wanted.
I stopped coming to the forum very often after I moved to Hong Kong in 2008. It's much quieter here than it was a few years ago, so my more recent threads haven't gotten quite the response that I would have expected three or four years ago. It also seems that there is less interest on this forum for cities outside of Canada and the US.

Any tips or personal wisdom you'd like to pass on to others?
Spend lots of time wandering around. Always think about new and unexpected ways to capture a scene.

Who should we ask these questions of next?
Now that Giovanni Sasso is back I'd like to hear from him.

diskojoe Jul 27, 2010 5:50 PM

Sasso! great choice kilgore.

i_am_hydrogen Jul 28, 2010 2:36 PM

Thanks, Kilgore. I've always had a respect for your cerebral approach to photography.

ue Jul 28, 2010 7:54 PM

Yay, the thread is back!

LSyd Sep 5, 2010 11:28 PM

anyone gonna speak? and where's EE been?

-

diskojoe Sep 20, 2010 8:33 PM

whats up with the thread HIMS? this was starting to get to be really cool and now there has been nothing recently. i am also very sure i am not the only one waiting for the next interview.

bulliver Sep 20, 2010 8:50 PM

HIMS hasn't signed in for two weeks. Perhaps he's on vacation.

And yeah, EE seems to have vanished from the face of the earth. No activity here or on flickr for a few months.

Ayreonaut Sep 25, 2010 11:45 PM

HIMS has been uploading to Flickr, but he hasn't been on the forum for a while now.

toyota74 Oct 3, 2010 10:06 PM

Was also wondering where EE has gone???

ue Nov 1, 2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSyd (Post 4971639)
anyone gonna speak? and where's EE been?

-

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulliver (Post 4987459)
HIMS hasn't signed in for two weeks. Perhaps he's on vacation.

And yeah, EE seems to have vanished from the face of the earth. No activity here or on flickr for a few months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toyota74 (Post 5003119)
Was also wondering where EE has gone???

Hi, I'm still alive. I thought nobody would notice and I'd just fade into the dust so I only notified one or two people of my absence. I still wouldn't expect me to be online at all. I just signed in 'cause I saw these messages and thought I'd let people know I'm alive (for now ;)).