SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 850 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

Tombstoner Nov 3, 2021 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 9441342)
Very cool. This photo just highlights to me the need to have some sort of sculpture in front of WPS that can match the Calatrava's work at River Point.

I know that originally there was supposed to be some sort of fountain in front of WPS that seems no longer in the cards, I am perfectly Ok with the idea of doing without the fountain but there needs to be something sculptural there.

Personally, I think you rarely go wrong with a fountain--they lend grace and movement to just about any space and are a natural gathering spot. I also think the Calatrava sculpture is a bit of a disappointment. Not terrible, but nothing exciting or memorable.

left of center Nov 3, 2021 9:51 PM

Anyone know how many floors left to go? From my counting, looks like the ironwork is somewhere near floor 48-49.

rivernorthlurker Nov 4, 2021 2:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 9441846)
Anyone know how many floors left to go? From my counting, looks like the ironwork is somewhere near floor 48-49.

Profile view on previous page showed floor 53 in the form, so 7 floors from the top to 60. But on the drawing on the website theres kind of this little 61st floor to the architectural top so you could say maybe 8 more floors to pour.

left of center Nov 4, 2021 2:40 AM

Wow I was way off. Thanks for the update!

dewbs Nov 6, 2021 1:56 PM

So here's a new image (full-size link):
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw...rTaXSQ=w600-no

Zoomed in version here. They haven't added any new floors since last week.

The floors that are covered appear to be 37-39. Counting up from there, 50 looks taller, which is consistent with the stacking plan here.

Measuring the image, 50 looks 25% taller than the lower floors, while the stacking plan shows it 20% taller. However, 49, as built, looks the same as 48 and below, whereas the stacking plan has it 10% taller.

As built, 51 appears to be 36% taller than 48 and below, whereas the stacking plan shows it just 10% taller.

Obviously the stacking plan might just be off on the heights. But the other possibility is that some of these upper floors are getting stretched, as was suggested in a previous post.

rivernorthlurker Nov 7, 2021 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewbs (Post 9443995)
So here's a new image (full-size link):
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw...rTaXSQ=w600-no

Zoomed in version here. They haven't added any new floors since last week.

The floors that are covered appear to be 37-39. Counting up from there, 50 looks taller, which is consistent with the stacking plan here.

Measuring the image, 50 looks 25% taller than the lower floors, while the stacking plan shows it 20% taller. However, 49, as built, looks the same as 48 and below, whereas the stacking plan has it 10% taller.

As built, 51 appears to be 36% taller than 48 and below, whereas the stacking plan shows it just 10% taller.

Obviously the stacking plan might just be off on the heights. But the other possibility is that some of these upper floors are getting stretched, as was suggested in a previous post.

Interesting observation about the pause. Could be a million reasons for that, one of which is modifying the design. Like when they paused 9 W Walton while figuring out how to add Ken's Griffin 3 floor penthouse to the design. Still slim I say, but hey, us skyscraper groupies can hope!

r18tdi Nov 8, 2021 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewbs (Post 9443995)
They haven't added any new floors since last week.

Huh? They added steel on Friday, plus more steel and glass today.

dewbs Nov 8, 2021 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 9445133)
Huh? They added steel on Friday, plus more steel and glass today.

I was referring to the core, but point taken

rivernorthlurker Nov 11, 2021 5:53 AM

Just realized that Salesforce is building in Sydney as well. 53 floors and ~860 ft. Annoyed by our lack of floor height in the Chicago iteration. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salesforce_Tower_(Sydney))

harryc Nov 12, 2021 7:53 PM

Oct 30

Chicago_Forever Nov 12, 2021 8:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toasty Joe (Post 9448449)
While Chicago's is more elegant, its sheer glass walls make it less of a focal point than Sydney's tower. Ours could really use more height, some facade work, and any sort of crown... Or just try this site again in 90 years. Maybe we'll have our shit figured out by then.

Instead of trying this site again I'd much rather we wait 10-15yrs and then tear down the Apparel Mart for a Super-Mega tall.

dropdeaded209 Nov 12, 2021 8:27 PM

nice cameo by One Chicago in the back there too!

rivernorthlurker Nov 13, 2021 7:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever (Post 9449507)
Instead of trying this site again I'd much rather we wait 10-15yrs and then tear down the Apparel Mart for a Super-Mega tall.

It could happen. They've got those darned viewing corridor rights looking south after all!

rivernorthlurker Nov 16, 2021 3:22 PM

Site this morning 11/16/21. Steel catching up to form as the form work has been paused for about 2 weeks now I believe. Hoping someone can chime in on any reasons for this. Did they run out of sand? :shrug:

https://i.imgur.com/WAP61D8.jpg

Chicagolover88 Nov 16, 2021 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toasty Joe (Post 9452424)
hopefully it's a height bump (based on successful leasing) and additional crown elements.

Now you got my hopes up. Lol

Fvn Nov 17, 2021 3:51 AM

FWIW the core was actually jumped this morning, but you're right, for the better part of about 3 weeks it didn't move. There could be numerous reasons as to why it stopped, but I doubt it has anything to do with last-second design changes. Also, the current lead times mean that making last-second design changes is even more headache-inducing than they usually are especially with a project of this size.

It could have something to do with the core being limited as to how tall it can free stand above the finished steel (fully bolted/welded, not just set) with a crane in it; especially when it's as skinny as it is now is.

rivernorthlurker Nov 17, 2021 8:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fvn (Post 9453050)
FWIW the core was actually jumped this morning, but you're right, for the better part of about 3 weeks it didn't move. There could be numerous reasons as to why it stopped, but I doubt it has anything to do with last-second design changes. Also, the current lead times mean that making last-second design changes is even more headache-inducing than they usually are especially with a project of this size.

It could have something to do with the core being limited as to how tall it can free stand above the finished steel (fully bolted/welded, not just set) with a crane in it; especially when it's as skinny as it is now is.

Thanks for your input. Yeah that sounds like the most plausible explanation but we'll watch and see. Figures they jump the core for first time in a few weeks like a couple hours after I posted this lol.

I had thought about the structural explanation and thought it wouldn't be an issue but I forgot about the gigantic crane on top still hauling steel. Now that the steel is caught up sufficiently they can probably finish the final 7 or 8 floors continuously without any more stoppage.

That said I think it's turning out really great as the glass goes up. It's gonna be a stunner and I'm excited to see what kind of crown lighting they do on the top when finished. The renders show some lighting but it's hard to get a feel what it will look like in person. I'm hoping that they coordinate with the city's seasonal lighting program - specifically looking forward to any colored lighting.

ORD2010 Nov 17, 2021 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9453130)
Thanks for your input. Yeah that sounds like the most plausible explanation but we'll watch and see. Figures they jump the core for first time in a few weeks like a couple hours after I posted this lol.

I had thought about the structural explanation and thought it wouldn't be an issue but I forgot about the gigantic crane on top still hauling steel. Now that the steel is caught up sufficiently they can probably finish the final 7 or 8 floors continuously without any more stoppage.

That said I think it's turning out really great as the glass goes up. It's gonna be a stunner and I'm excited to see what kind of crown lighting they do on the top when finished. The renders show some lighting but it's hard to get a feel what it will look like in person. I'm hoping that they coordinate with the city's seasonal lighting program - specifically looking forward to any colored lighting.

Do you know if WPE was supposed to have lighting? i always figured the vertical fins at the crown would be illuminated but never were (correct me if im wrong though!) hopefully WPS doesn't suffer the same fate.

dewbs Nov 17, 2021 2:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORD2010 (Post 9453214)
Do you know if WPE was supposed to have lighting? i always figured the vertical fins at the crown would be illuminated but never were (correct me if im wrong though!) hopefully WPS doesn't suffer the same fate.

https://www.333wolfpoint.com/wp-cont...veningHero.png

That rendering suggests some lighting on WPS but not WPE.

LouisVanDerWright Nov 18, 2021 8:45 PM

Salesforce is starting to become visible from the SW:

Edit: someone fix my link, I'm having issues on mobile.

https://imgur.com/a/KJMwCrY

harryc Nov 18, 2021 9:54 PM

ooops - can only get the huge image

chris08876 Nov 20, 2021 4:47 PM

Salesforce making its presence known. Starting to pop up via the lake in the skyline.

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...e1236b075.jpeg
Credit: dwk001

SolarWind Nov 21, 2021 2:42 AM

October 26, 2021

October 28, 2021

November 8, 2021

November 10, 2021

harryc Nov 21, 2021 2:37 PM

Nov 18

rivernorthlurker Nov 24, 2021 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 9456760)
Salesforce making its presence known. Starting to pop up via the lake in the skyline.

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...e1236b075.jpeg
Credit: dwk001

Fantastic shot. And from now on I'm referring to One Chicago as 'The Blade.'

harryc Nov 29, 2021 12:38 AM

Nov 24

Nov 26

LouisVanDerWright Dec 7, 2021 5:18 PM

This tower is going to be very prominent from the NW despite not being 900'.

They are currently pouring the 7th floor on the core above the transfer/mech floor with the higher ceiling height. There will be 8 floors above the mech floor before the first set back. That means the core still has at least 4-5, maybe even 6 or 7 levels to pour before topping out and then you have screening above that. The core already pokes out 5 floors or so above everything else in that part of the skyline from the Kennedy, with another 6 or 7 floors worth of height this will dominate everything in that section of skyline including 300 N LaSalle.

r18tdi Dec 7, 2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 9470259)
The core already pokes out 5 floors or so above everything else in that part of the skyline from the Kennedy, with another 6 or 7 floors worth of height this will dominate everything in that section of skyline including 300 N LaSalle.

It still amazes me how "from the Kennedy" is the primary way such a large segment of the population interprets the Chicago skyline.

Zapatan Dec 7, 2021 11:19 PM

Nice shots, core looks about 750' so may top out by years end

LouisVanDerWright Dec 8, 2021 4:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 9470684)
It still amazes me how "from the Kennedy" is the primary way such a large segment of the population interprets the Chicago skyline.

A. Its the best angle of the skyline that is not from the Shedd.

B. This building will be by far the most prominent when viewed from the NW...

maru2501 Dec 8, 2021 8:21 PM

^ and we all know it's often the angle of first impression for people coming from ORD etc

left of center Dec 9, 2021 2:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 9471590)
^ and we all know it's often the angle of first impression for people coming from ORD etc

Not a bad angle to welcome people to our city I'd say. Probably the best angle, or perhaps tied with SB LSD south of Diversey, or NB LSD just past McCormick Place.

Chi-Sky21 Dec 9, 2021 4:45 AM

I actually always like the northbound view on lsd coming from MSI. Maybe just cause I always see it from coming in on the Stevenson or from the west loop.

r18tdi Dec 15, 2021 10:29 PM

The most recently framed floor appears to be taller than the others. I would guess it's level 50, based on the stacking plan. This also means the steel has reached the height of the first setback:

https://www.333wolfpoint.com/wp-cont...cking-Plan.pdf

Ricochet48 Dec 15, 2021 11:15 PM

After the mech floors of 38 & 39 there's 11 more floors just like the diagram linked.

However, the 12th is clearly taller and is NOT stepped back from my view... (zoomed in and counted on my camera to double check).

r18tdi Dec 15, 2021 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet48 (Post 9477776)
After the mech floors of 38 & 39 there's 11 more floors just like the diagram linked.

However, the 12th is clearly taller and is NOT stepped back from my view... (zoomed in and counted on my camera to double check).

Kirkland & Ellis conference floor/C-suite?

rivernorthlurker Dec 16, 2021 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet48 (Post 9477776)

So you're saying the 51st is taller but the 50th is not and there is no setback from 50-51 like in the stacking plan?

We needs some pics... I'm literally going to go outside in a few minutes to look lol.

rivernorthlurker Dec 16, 2021 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet48 (Post 9477833)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9477833)
So you're saying the 51st is taller but the 50th is not and there is no setback from 50-51 like in the stacking plan?

We needs some pics... I'm literally going to go outside in a few minutes to look lol.

Took a quick look. Was a good excuse to take a nice stroll in this 63 degree December weather.

As Ricochet48 described the 51st is clearly taller than the 50th which looks like a typical size so they have definitely deviated from the published stacking plan. I couldn't see any noticeable setback from 50 to 51 either and pretty sure there is not. So they may have squeezed in another floor before the setback or taken it from elsewhere. Hopefully this adds a little height to the building. Or maybe there's some more surprises to come.

SolarWind Dec 16, 2021 4:10 AM

November 23, 2021

December 6, 2021

December 7, 2021

December 13, 2021

December 14, 2021

rivernorthlurker Dec 17, 2021 12:49 AM

12/15/21

Shows the larger 51st (vs 50th in https://www.333wolfpoint.com/wp-cont...cking-Plan.pdf) and there doesn't appear to be any setback either.

https://i.imgur.com/4U77rKT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QcMMS5M.jpg

chris08876 Dec 17, 2021 4:08 AM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1c98d34b_h.jpg
Chicago by rvtn, on Flickr

rivernorthlurker Dec 17, 2021 4:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 9479285)

And the photo of the month award goes to.....

chris08876

Great job man!

harryc Dec 18, 2021 1:21 AM

Dec 9

Dec 14

lakeshoredrive Dec 18, 2021 2:03 AM

Based on what’s being said in the recent posts, this building will slightly be taller than we thought it was going to be?

rivernorthlurker Dec 18, 2021 2:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive (Post 9480446)
Based on what’s being said in the recent posts, this building will slightly be taller than we thought it was going to be?

No idea. Only that construction has deviated from published plans apparently. So a deviation 'opens the door' that the height may have changed a little. Conceivably it could be even shorter but I think that's unlikely given that the first setback is now maybe 18 ft higher than where it was going to be. Just gotta wait and see.

I imagine the core tops out in January (unless they stop for the steel to catch up again) and then the crown/top stuff is finished in February or March. I think they have like 4 or 5 more levels to go on the core.

Briguy Dec 18, 2021 4:04 AM

So the final height will be about 15ft above published. Have this on good info. 3 floors with a extra couple feet each

rivernorthlurker Dec 18, 2021 5:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briguy (Post 9480509)
So the final height will be about 15ft above published. Have this on good info. 3 floors with a extra couple feet each

Woot! Every little bit helps. Especially given the similar heights of surrounding buildings. So that would make this 850 ft structural height and 828 ft from city datum I believe.

15 ft would also move it past One Bennett Park and Park Tower in height. But who's counting? :shrug:

BuildThemTaller Dec 18, 2021 3:05 PM

The height bump is welcome news, even if just a dozen more.

I'm hoping they handle the mechanical louvers and crown well. If they nail the details on this, it will be a great addition to the city and river.

Steely Dan Dec 18, 2021 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9480556)
But who's counting? :shrug:

Certainly not any nerds on this forum ;)

But yeah, every extra additional foot they can squeeze outta this one is helpful, if not terribly meaningful.

I'll edit thread title if/when we can get confirmation on a new height figure.

thegoatman Dec 18, 2021 4:18 PM

If they could just add some significant lighting to this structure as its in such a prominent spot, this development could end up being a great one.