SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

aaron38 Nov 13, 2012 5:43 PM

I doubt there's anything that can be done, but I have a question about a parking ticket. Friday night I parked in a metered spot at about 8:40pm. I was unloading equipment for a show, helping a local business and just plain forgot to pay the meter. I owe a dollar at most and I got a $50 ticket for it, which is straight up theft.

I would happily pay $5 or $10, but not $50, it's insane. Does contesting the ticket ever get the fine reduced to a sane amount? Or am I just wasting my time and I should just pay and get it over with?

I don't understand being that blatent with the fines. Now I have $50 to recoup, which means I won't be spending it in Chicago this weekend. What's the benefit of that?

emathias Nov 13, 2012 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 5900084)
I doubt there's anything that can be done, but I have a question about a parking ticket. Friday night I parked in a metered spot at about 8:40pm. I was unloading equipment for a show, helping a local business and just plain forgot to pay the meter. I owe a dollar at most and I got a $50 ticket for it, which is straight up theft.

I would happily pay $5 or $10, but not $50, it's insane. Does contesting the ticket ever get the fine reduced to a sane amount? Or am I just wasting my time and I should just pay and get it over with?

I don't understand being that blatent with the fines. Now I have $50 to recoup, which means I won't be spending it in Chicago this weekend. What's the benefit of that?

They have to cover the cost of enforcement. Your theory would mean that the City would have to just cover the cost of enforcement and let people disregard meters at will, just paying a fee if they happen to be caught that would still be less than parking in a lot in many parts of the city.

I sympathize but it's not going to be reduced. You violated a parking zone and got a ticket. in all honesty, $50 is already getting off easy.

The benefit to the city is that next time you'll pay the meter, and you'll serve as a cautionary tale so that other people also don't "forget" to pay the meter. You see it as $1. They see your tale as preventing dozens or hundreds of dollars in "forgotten" meter payments going forward from not only you, but other people.

Also, this has nothing to do with Chicago transit, so should probably be removed.

ardecila Nov 13, 2012 8:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 5899651)
^ How close to Western I wonder, since that is a pretty giant intersection. Also, will this allow vehicles turning, or dropping off passengers, at Metra to clog up everybody behind them? Or do they do some diet-cheating, just around the viaduct?

Are dropoffs a big phenomenon at Ravenswood? It doesn't necessarily function like a suburban Metra station.

Actually, I'd be really interested to see a study on how people access Ravenswood... how close to the station they live, whether they walk/bike/drive/take the bus, are they commuting to the Loop or the North Shore, etc.

Beta_Magellan Nov 14, 2012 5:10 AM

Mode share survey data’s on rtams from 2006:

55% Walked
24% Drive Alone
4% Dropped Off
3% Carpool
6% Bus
3% Rapid Transit
4% Bike
1% Taxi

Nothing I saw on sample size or error bars for those figures. The small share dropped off was pretty surprising to me.

ardecila Nov 14, 2012 9:57 AM

Thanks; I thought rtams might have it, but the site kept crashing on me.

So, apparently, dropoffs will not be a significant problem on Lawrence. :)

The bike modeshare is surprisingly low; I chalk it up to the total lack of decent bike parking.

Baronvonellis Nov 14, 2012 9:46 PM

Yea, during the day the bike racks that are there are totally overflowing with bikes. There aren't enough bike racks at the station for all the bikes.

ardecila Nov 14, 2012 11:22 PM

Yeah, Metra doesn't provide very good bike parking. Even at Clybourn they continue to maintain that small parking lot between the viaducts (which is dangerous due to sight distances). They spent a ton of money on fancy bike racks with canopies that only added 20 spaces or so.

At Ravenswood they should take a few of the angled parking spots and build a bike corral, especially now that Lawrence will have bike lanes.

CTA Gray Line Nov 15, 2012 8:10 AM

New Nippon-Sharyo cars for Metra Electric

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7262832.story

Richard Wronski

Tribune reporter

1:33 p.m. CST, November 14, 2012

Metra on Wednesday unveiled the first four of its new “Highliner” cars that will go into service later this week on the Electric District Line.

They are the first of 160 cars being built at a new Nippon Sharyo Manufacturing LLC plant in Rochelle, Ill. The cars are replacing ones that date back decades, to the pre-Metra days of the former Illinois Central Railroad.

The new cars feature modern amenities like power outlets for personal electronic devices, upgraded seating and new flush toilets.

Metra Electric Highliner cars

MAPS

151 N Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60601, USA
Blue Island, IL, USA
University Park, IL, USA
E 93rd St & S Baltimore Ave, Chicago, IL 60617, USA

Officials dedicated the first car to the late Metra director Elonzo “Lonnie” Hill, who served on the commuter rail agency’s board from 2003 until his death in 2009.

The Electric District Line runs 170 trains a day carrying about 36,000 riders between Milennium Station, Blue Island, South Chicago and University Park.

The new cars will cost $577 million and are being purchased through a $31 billion state bond program.

Eventually, all 145 1970s-era Metra Electric cars will be replaced with the new equipment.

The first 80 car “shells” are being constructed in Japan and shipped to Rochelle for completion. The remaining 80 will be entirely manufactured at the new plant.

Nippon Sharyo had previously outsourced the final assembly of its passenger cars to Super Steel in Milwaukee.

The $35 million Nippon Sharyo plant was dedicated in July.

Officials said the Rochelle facility will give the company greater control over its workforce and will position the company to surpass Buy America requirements, which allows companies to tap into federal incentives through states, municipalities or transit authorities.

Under the requirements, companies have to produce 60 percent of the total value of the rail cars in the U.S. The final assembly must be made by American workers with American-produced steel, iron and manufactured components.

To lure Nippon Sharyo, the state offered an incentives package worth more than $4.7 million in training funds, grants, corporate income tax credits and other incentives.

Nippon Sharyo pledged to create at least 250 jobs in the state and retain 15 workers from its previous office in Arlington Heights.

rwronski@tribune.com

Twitter @richwronski

Rizzo Nov 16, 2012 3:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 5900084)

Not worth your time. Pay it and pay attention next time. The city sees it as theft because they are losing paying customer for that space. Can't tell you how many times we've had to call parking enforcement for people that park in our loading zone not from our building and "forget" about their time and overstay the 30 minute limit. Meanwhile deliveries to our building are delayed.

Baronvonellis Nov 16, 2012 5:30 PM

Umm, the city doesn't get any money from the meters now though. There was that huge parking meter deal under Daley, so they aren't losing any customers. The city still makes money from parking tickets though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 5903277)
Not worth your time. Pay it and pay attention next time. The city sees it as theft because they are losing paying customer for that space. Can't tell you how many times we've had to call parking enforcement for people that park in our loading zone not from our building and "forget" about their time and overstay the 30 minute limit. Meanwhile deliveries to our building are delayed.

emathias Nov 18, 2012 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 5904124)
Umm, the city doesn't get any money from the meters now though. There was that huge parking meter deal under Daley, so they aren't losing any customers. The city still makes money from parking tickets though.

Don't both the City and the meter company have authority to ticket street parking violators?

I'm pretty sure that's the case, because I needed something ticketed in my alley and there were two different types of people patrolling the spots in front, and the City worker told me only City employees could ticket in the alley and the others could only ticket in the alley.

denizen467 Nov 18, 2012 11:14 PM

^ I don't think the meter company has jurisdiction over anything beyond the metered spots. Occasionally they could theoretically serve as eyes and put calls into the City as a courtesy about violations though.

Rizzo Nov 19, 2012 7:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 5904124)

You're right, I misspoke. CPM makes money on the spaces, tickets go to the city. Both CPM and City of Chicago provide assistance to us when people illegally park in our loading zone in front of my building, but only when we request it.

Baronvonellis Nov 20, 2012 9:52 PM

Now there will be a $2.75 surcharge on blue lines trips from ohare. Way to encourage transit usage.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/11/...pose-hikes-to/

J_M_Tungsten Nov 20, 2012 10:21 PM

Still about 30 dollars cheaper than the cheapest cab ride

emathias Nov 20, 2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 5908458)
Now there will be a $2.75 surcharge on blue lines trips from ohare. Way to encourage transit usage.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/11/...pose-hikes-to/

I don't have a problem with this. It hits a lot fewer people than raising the overall fare, and it's still a lot cheaper than a taxi - although I can see more couples taking a cab now instead of riding the train, especially if they're not going all the way downtown.

Also in the article:
Quote:

The half fare for schoolchildren will drop from 85 cents to 75 cents. Claypool said it’s a move to increase school attendance.
I somehow doubt that kids are being truant because fares are 85 cents instead of 75 cents. Seems like a silly change.

Via Chicago Nov 21, 2012 2:14 AM

Im utterly perplexed by these fare changes. Why are they hitting 30 day riders the hardest? Its like a 16% increase for them. And all the while keeping single rides the same price. In what world are you actually penalized for buying things in bulk? I would not at all be surprised to see use of those passes drop, which would seem to run counter to the CTAs goals.

Also, does someone know if the 30 day pass fare increase will also hit those who use a Chicago Card Plus as a monthly pass?

Rizzo Nov 21, 2012 3:41 AM

Well at least single ride trips in from the Airport would be reasonable to most out of towners. I'll hate paying it as a local but taking the DC Metro and SF BART this would still seem reasonable in comparison.

Time to stock up on those One-Day and Three-Days for friends visiting!

I'm currently a Chicago Plus Card Pay As You Go member since I live downtown and bike to work so I guess I'm safe for now. But for monthly pass holders this really really sucks.

The price drop for children is silly. I'm sure next years truancy stats will show no correlation.

I doubt the fare increases will create substantial modal switch in commuting. Even if you already own a vehicle but commute by train and decided to ditch your monthly pass, you'd still be paying $300 or more to drive and park in the loop. Many companies also subsidize CTA passes, so there will be a bit of cushion there

But hey, bicycling is always free and federal benefits cover cost of bicycle repairs and maintenance

Baronvonellis Nov 21, 2012 4:22 AM

Well I always take a taxi from the northside to the nearest blue line to the airport. I just pay as I go for the CTA. So, it would almost be the same price to take a taxi all the way now. Not to mention the greater baggage storage, comfort, and convenience of door to door service with a taxi. Or like you say couples or friends going together. Its a bigger impact than you might think.

Now if they extended the Brown line to Jefferson Park I would rather take the train to O'hare. Hopefully someday. :)

VivaLFuego Nov 21, 2012 4:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 5908898)
Well I always take a taxi from the northside to the nearest blue line to the airport. I just pay as I go for the CTA. So, it would almost be the same price to take a taxi all the way now.

To/from anywhere on the north side, a taxi fare to O'hare plus tip will run in the $35-60 range each way; even just getting from O'hare to Jefferson Park (one of the farthest northwest neighborhoods in the city) is an 8 mile trip that will run in the range of $20-25 each way... maybe I'm misinterpreting your meaning here?

tyler1 Nov 21, 2012 5:08 AM

Woww--those are big increases. I wonder if they did any studies on potential effects on ridership?

emathias Nov 21, 2012 1:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 5908898)
Well I always take a taxi from the northside to the nearest blue line to the airport. I just pay as I go for the CTA. So, it would almost be the same price to take a taxi all the way now. Not to mention the greater baggage storage, comfort, and convenience of door to door service with a taxi. Or like you say couples or friends going together. Its a bigger impact than you might think.

Now if they extended the Brown line to Jefferson Park I would rather take the train to O'hare. Hopefully someday. :)

There is no price change *to* the airport, only for trips starting at the airport station.

urbanpln Nov 21, 2012 2:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler1 (Post 5908939)
Woww--those are big increases. I wonder if they did any studies on potential effects on ridership?

I doubt it will have a significant effect, if any at all. Last year Metra raised its fares (77% on monthly) and ridership did not suffer.

Vlajos Nov 21, 2012 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler1 (Post 5908939)

I doubt there will be much of an effect on ridership. I always thought the monthly pass at $86 was too low.

Via Chicago Nov 21, 2012 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 5909149)
I doubt there will be much of an effect on ridership. I always thought the monthly pass at $86 was too low.

Why would that be too low? If you're a daily commuter on weekdays (2 rides a day), if the fare is 2.25 that means in a typical month you would barely break even. Im sure people use them on the weekends too, but I doubt with the same frequency.

The CTA isnt going to fix their inherent massive structural problems by constantly hitting up the ridership.

Vlajos Nov 21, 2012 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 5909193)
Why would that be too low? If you're a daily commuter on weekdays (2 rides a day), if the fare is 2.25 that means in a typical month you would barely break even. Im sure people use them on the weekends too, but I doubt with the same frequency.

The CTA isnt going to fix their inherent massive structural problems by constantly hitting up the ridership.

I use mine every weekend.

urbanpln Nov 21, 2012 4:02 PM

I am a little pissed about the percentage increase in the one day. I buy them often. I won't stop buying them but I may use my Metra pass more often.

Via Chicago Nov 21, 2012 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 5909204)
I use mine every weekend.

thats great. im just saying that even assuming you do, the cost savings has just been significantly reduced.

this would all make more sense to me if single fares had been increased too.

N830MH Nov 22, 2012 3:57 AM

Well, how much cost for 3-days pass? Is that $20? It's too expensive! This is ridiculous!! We just pay $14 for 3-days passes. What about discounted price for Seniors or Disability?

emathias Nov 22, 2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 5909193)

They won't by never raising fares, either. Costs go up. Despite fares already being 80% higher than they were 20 years ago, as a portion of national average income, CTA fares have fallen over the past 20 years. And relative to inflation they've risen a bit below average. Not by much, but you can hardly expect them to never raise fares when their costs go up.

ardecila Nov 23, 2012 12:43 AM

That's true, but inflation isn't the best index because it's an average and doesn't take into account the rising income inequality. You really have to compare CTA fares to the income trend of the lowest wage-earners, not the economy as a whole. The problem is that CTA's costs are not scaling in line with working-class wages, because CTA's costs are driven by labor and that labor is unionized.

The real solution is to make the taxing system more progressive.

emathias Nov 23, 2012 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5911104)
That's true, but inflation isn't the best index because it's an average and doesn't take into account the rising income inequality. You really have to compare CTA fares to the income trend of the lowest wage-earners, not the economy as a whole. The problem is that CTA's costs are not scaling in line with working-class wages, because CTA's costs are driven by labor and that labor is unionized.

The real solution is to make the taxing system more progressive.

That might be one way to scale it in some cities, but given that Chicago is the American city where the demographics of ridership most closely reflect the demographics of the city at large (even more closely than New York - there's something like a 98% alignment in Chicago), I don't think your method has merit in this particular city.

ardecila Nov 24, 2012 12:34 AM

Interesting if true. It's great that CTA is so democratic. Do you have a source?

I'm still not sure it matters, though. Raising CTA fares, even just to match inflation, will still disproportionately affect the lowest wage-earners, whose wages are not rising in parallel with inflation.

electricron Nov 24, 2012 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5912191)
Interesting if true. It's great that CTA is so democratic. Do you have a source?

I'm still not sure it matters, though. Raising CTA fares, even just to match inflation, will still disproportionately affect the lowest wage-earners, whose wages are not rising in parallel with inflation.

Nobody wages are rising faster than inflation. Not even the relatively well to do union backed government employees. At some point, those using any system must pay to keep that system growing.

harryc Nov 24, 2012 5:01 AM

Nexis4Jersey Nov 24, 2012 5:29 AM

How long does it take to decorate the car?

the urban politician Nov 24, 2012 5:55 AM

Damn, that's pretty cool

harryc Nov 24, 2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey (Post 5912424)

Not sure - but the employees seem to enjoy themselves greatly.

must be a perminant setup.

denizen467 Nov 26, 2012 5:58 AM

^ Would be an easy way to convert the naysayers on the new aisle-facing railcars.

Mr Roboto Nov 27, 2012 2:27 AM

cant believe i helped elect this moronic prick. i mean seriously???? Does this idiot have the slightest clue about the need for affordable mass transit? i honestly thought this guy would have some basic understanding of urban planning and development. boy was i wrong. he is a political ass clown with no sense whatsoever in these matters.

even if you agree prices had to go up, or really, even if you have a big mouth and are generally known as an asshole like him, you dont say what he said unless you are clueless.

Emanuel on CTA increases : Chicagoans can choose to drive‎‏

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/p...0,793097.story

By John Byrne

Clout Street

4:10 p.m. CST, November 26, 2012
Mayor Rahm Emanuel had a message Monday for CTA riders upset about upcoming fare hikes: they’re not really fare increases, public transit remains a bargain and commuters can “make that choice” about whether to drive or take buses and trains.

“Fares stayed the same. Basic fares stayed the same, which you cannot say about gas prices,” said Emanuel in his first public comments since the CTA announced a 2013 budget proposal last week.

chicagopcclcar1 Nov 27, 2012 2:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey (Post 5912424)

The six passenger cars are in normal service on the Yellow line. They are removed from service sometime at the end of September or the beginning of October. By Thanksgiving, they're ready to roll. Much of the decorations used every year is premeasured and goes on easily. Crews volunteer for the work. This year they fashioned a new Santa's House for the decorated flat car that rides between passenger cars #4 and #5. The passenger cars are also capable of train-lining with the flat car which has air brakes. CTA 'L' cars do not have air brakes.

DH

chicagopcclcar1 Nov 27, 2012 2:52 AM

2013 CTA Holiday Train at East Cottage Grove

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...ttageGrove.jpg

The six passenger cars are CTA 2893-2898, but surprisingly they are not consisted in numerical order.

DH

untitledreality Nov 27, 2012 3:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Roboto (Post 5915008)
even if you agree prices had to go up, or really, even if you have a big mouth and are generally known as an asshole like him, you dont say what he said unless you are clueless.

Agreed. Just keep your mouth shut, let CTA brass answer any and all questions regarding the matter. If you absolutely must make a comment say something politically correct by deferring to the CTA financial team on terms of "more comprehensive knowledge regarding the matter at hand"

Having the Mayor come out and say "It is what it is, if you don't like it don't use it... I dare you" is childish and irresponsible. The CTA rail system has seen years of steady growth, why on earth would you say anything to jeopardize that, especially when the most sought after constituents are likely the ones with the ability to choose others means of transit... or cities.

ardecila Nov 27, 2012 4:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untitledreality (Post 5915082)
Agreed. Just keep your mouth shut, let CTA brass answer any and all questions regarding the matter. If you absolutely must make a comment say something politically correct by deferring to the CTA financial team on terms of "more comprehensive knowledge regarding the matter at hand"

Having the Mayor come out and say "It is what it is, if you don't like it don't use it... I dare you" is childish and irresponsible. The CTA rail system has seen years of steady growth, why on earth would you say anything to jeopardize that, especially when the most sought after constituents are likely the ones with the ability to choose others means of transit... or cities.

Dude's a major hothead... but this gets to the larger point of his neoliberal stance. He sees transit as an amenity to attract corporations and the wealthy, many of whom are fairly eco-conscious and don't mind taking the L or buses, even though they could afford to drive. The transit-dependent people won't desert the CTA, since it's still cheaper than driving in almost all cases.

On some level, I sympathize... the CTA simply can't keep plowing capital investment into operations, or the transit-dependent will really be up shit creek when the viaducts start falling down. CTA can't rely on strong growth in sales or real-estate tax revenues to balance the budget, either, which leaves fare increases and labor adjustments. Claypool has done both - it was unrealistic to expect him to make up the shortfall entirely through playing hardball with the unions.

However, Rahm's rhetoric is really disappointing. I'd love to see an attempt to expand reduced-fare programs (and reduce barriers to access) in conjunction with any fare increases. That would be the compassionate approach...

emathias Nov 27, 2012 2:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 5912512)
must be a perminant setup.

Looks more like a "peppermint setup" ... :)

Quote:

cant believe i helped elect this moronic prick. i mean seriously???? Does this idiot have the slightest clue about the need for affordable mass transit? i honestly thought this guy would have some basic understanding of urban planning and development.

The biggest problem with public transit in the U.S. is that attitude right there - that it needs to affordable ahead of being effective. Realistically the current pricing is a steal. The proposed pricing is still fair and very reasonable compared to most European systems, particularly if compared via PPP vs. exchange rate. Especially compared to systems that have zoned fares, the CTA is not priced unreasonably.

Quote:

Originally Posted by untitledreality (Post 5915082)
The CTA rail system has seen years of steady growth, why on earth would you say anything to jeopardize that, especially when the most sought after constituents are likely the ones with the ability to choose others means of transit... or cities.

While I agree he should have been more politic, I think you overestimate the impact of his statement by a huge margin. People make transit decisions based on the facts on the ground, not due to statements by politicians. The facts on the ground are that the fares are still reasonable, service for "choice riders" continues to improve, visible appearance of stations and rolling stock is improving under Emanuel which most impacts choice riders. In other words, people who value action over words see the action and act on that regardless of whatever comes out of Rahm's pie-hole.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5915096)
Dude's a major hothead... but this gets to the larger point of his neoliberal stance. He sees transit as an amenity to attract corporations and the wealthy, many of whom are fairly eco-conscious and don't mind taking the L or buses, even though they could afford to drive. The transit-dependent people won't desert the CTA, since it's still cheaper than driving in almost all cases.

On some level, I sympathize... the CTA simply can't keep plowing capital investment into operations, or the transit-dependent will really be up shit creek when the viaducts start falling down. CTA can't rely on strong growth in sales or real-estate tax revenues to balance the budget, either, which leaves fare increases and labor adjustments. Claypool has done both - it was unrealistic to expect him to make up the shortfall entirely through playing hardball with the unions.

However, Rahm's rhetoric is really disappointing. I'd love to see an attempt to expand reduced-fare programs (and reduce barriers to access) in conjunction with any fare increases. That would be the compassionate approach...

I'd personally love to see fare-subsidy programs moved outside of the CTA's budget into some sort of more comprehensive social service agency.

Before you say that's insensitive, consider this:

Currently, if you're poor enough to need assistance in Chicago, you have to go to one agency for housing assistance, one for medical assistance, one for transit assistance, etc. Wouldn't it be far more compassionate and humanizing for those in need to be able to go to one agency, get their income situation evaluated one time, and then have access to whatever it is they need assistance with? So I don't just advocate moving reduced fare media out of the CTA's purvey, but centralizing all the human services programs into one access point for those in need. THAT would be the compassionate thing to do, not having a bunch of different agencies that people need to decipher and separately qualify for.

Mr Roboto Nov 27, 2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 5915450)

The biggest problem with public transit in the U.S. is that attitude right there - that it needs to affordable ahead of being effective. Realistically the current pricing is a steal. The proposed pricing is still fair and very reasonable compared to most European systems, particularly if compared via PPP vs. exchange rate. Especially compared to systems that have zoned fares, the CTA is not priced unreasonably.

No it needs to be effective too, thats a given. I would never say affordability is MORE important, but it certainly is very important.

Even if the CTA is still reasonably priced, and I agree that it is (I dont agree with the increase on the passes only though), what he said showed incredible insensitivity to the issues that working class people who use CTA deal with. Riding mass transit is a necessity for many and for them to be impacted in their wallet with no recourse, and to hear their problem completely dismissed by him, is a real slap in the face. Thats all i am complaining about.

electricron Nov 28, 2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Roboto (Post 5916031)
Riding mass transit is a necessity for many and for them to be impacted in their wallet with no recourse, and to hear their problem completely dismissed by him, is a real slap in the face. Thats all i am complaining about.

Individual fares didn't go up. It's the passes; daily, weekly, monthly, etc that did. Passes are discounts, it's the discounts that was reduced.
Riding the trains with discounted fares isn't a necessity. In some locales, more than half the riders are using discounts.

If the options were to reduce the discounts or reduce the services, I'll favor reducing the discounts every time. Personally, I would prefer to see all discounts eliminated, maybe-just-maybe the trains would not require as much subsidy if half the riders were not riding free or with half fares.

MayorOfChicago Nov 28, 2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

cant believe i helped elect this moronic prick. i mean seriously???? Does this idiot have the slightest clue about the need for affordable mass transit? i honestly thought this guy would have some basic understanding of urban planning and development. boy was i wrong. he is a political ass clown with no sense whatsoever in these matters.

Emanuel on CTA increases : Chicagoans can choose to drive‎‏

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/p...0,793097.story

By John Byrne

Clout Street

4:10 p.m. CST, November 26, 2012
Mayor Rahm Emanuel had a message Monday for CTA riders upset about upcoming fare hikes: they’re not really fare increases, public transit remains a bargain and commuters can “make that choice” about whether to drive or take buses and trains.

“Fares stayed the same. Basic fares stayed the same, which you cannot say about gas prices,” said Emanuel in his first public comments since the CTA announced a 2013 budget proposal last week.

?? Wasn't he just pointing out that generally people will either choose to drive or choose to take the CTA, and even with these increases it's still much much cheaper on average to take the CTA. He wasn't saying "quit your bitching...if you don't like it just drive to work". He was out there at the transit stops almost every day while running for mayor and has been a huge pusher for using buses and trains. Maybe people mistook his words, and obviously the media is REALLY pushing this just trying to get a story, but he's obviously not going to stand there and tell people he's raising fares and that they should shut up and drive.

I think it's a huge misunderstanding. He even stated in the first place it's $50 to cab downtown from the airport many times, and it's $5 to take the train. If people have the choice to drive or take the train - they're obviously still goign to be fine with the price difference of taking the train.

Gas prices go up up up, but transit prices don't slowly slide, and while they still need to increase, it's more of a sensation when it happens because it's more in big bursts than a few cents every month.

Kippis Nov 28, 2012 11:46 PM

^ I think Rahm did something that many mayors would cringe to do: be brutally honest in front of your constituents.

The most obvious example: pay $5.00 to take a 45-minute Blue line train downtown, or $45-50 for a cab that may get stuck in a 1-2 hour perpetual parking lot we call the Kennedy Expressway at the height of rush hour. Is it really that hard for some folks to understand this concept? Chicago's transit system is still a steal in comparison to other systems in a national and global context. Maybe I'm just being a prick, but that's how I see it...

Standpoor Nov 29, 2012 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 5917503)
Personally, I would prefer to see all discounts eliminated, maybe-just-maybe the trains would not require as much subsidy if half the riders were not riding free or with half fares.

Can you name a business sector in this country that does not give out discounts for frequent/bulk customers? Especially one where the marginal cost of adding a customer is minimal. It is better to take the guaranteed money up front and allow them to ride as much as they want. The increased use is not going to cost more but changes in revenue will.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Roboto (Post 5916031)
Even if the CTA is still reasonably priced, and I agree that it is (I dont agree with the increase on the passes only though), what he said showed incredible insensitivity to the issues that working class people who use CTA deal with.

Exactly, this is being talked about so much because the CTA is in a rut of bad public relations. The Tribune story on the 11 bus illustrates that there is a sense that CTA does not listen or understand their ridership, at least among some. They have failed to adequately explain their actions in a way that reassures the public that they understand why, when and where people take the CTA.

Whether you’re a politician or a business person, empathy is necessary to reassure your clientele that you are giving them a fair deal. No one has adequately explained why passes are going up and not base fares, especially on a system that relies so heavily on passes. Everything I have read over the past few years suggests that people want small incremental increases, yet the CTA is setting up large one time increases without explaining why. Furthermore, no one in government has said that they understand it will be hard for some but the CTA needs the money. Instead it comes across as “why are you complaining, I am not raising fares, look how bad ass I am.”

Or another example, he talked about the $5 fare from O'Hare as if it would only affect those going downtown. Now I agree, $5 to downtown is a good deal but what about $5 to Cumberland, Jefferson Park, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kippis (Post 5917648)
^ I think Rahm did something that many mayors would cringe to do: be brutally honest in front of your constituents.

The most obvious example: pay $5.00 to take a 45-minute Blue line train downtown, or $45-50 for a cab that may get stuck in a 1-2 hour perpetual parking lot we call the Kennedy Expressway at the height of rush hour. Is it really that hard for some folks to understand this concept? Chicago's transit system is still a steal in comparison to other systems in a national and global context. Maybe I'm just being a prick, but that's how I see it...

He wasn’t brutally honest. He was politician honest. He didn’t say why pass holders were bearing the costs of the system. He did not include bikes, car share, shuttle vans, a friend dropping you off, walking, or metra as alternatives but just said driving. He did not mention how some people are transit dependent. He did not talk about how CTA is raising the cost of passes at a time where slow zones are creeping up or on the eve of a massive disruption in service. He did not say how they are going to keep fares the same for 3 years when costs will continue to increase or how large of a fare increase will be needed after those 3 years are up. If you watch the video, he comes off as caustic, it is just his personality.